Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGaalEra

Must not sell in the summer. Him and Blind are so valuable to the squad with their versatility and intelligence.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
A lot of us will have to hold our hands up if this continues. Rock solid. We'd be mad to get rid.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I have a feeling several clubs from the Serie A will make offers for him in the summer. We'd be daft to let him go though, I've always stated he'll come good and he's finally found his niche in our team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was much better today compared to that shocker at city.

When he doesn't play like a rabbit in the headlights he's half decent. Still think we need to get somebody more natural but he will be a decent squad player to keep.

Sylar

I was certain around November/December that he was going to be off. It looks like he might have saved his United career with this run of games hes had.

Raw

Jose has a magic touch with defenders it seems, I have no qualms with Darmian staying as long as he keeps these performances up. It's nice to have someone who can fill in for both fullback positions, and CB if needs be.

El Zoido

He started really well under Van Gaal, looked quality for a good number of games until he got injured. Jose and his coaching staff are among the best in the business when it comes to defending. He's got high level performances out of Rojo, Jones and Darmian this season, which many would have found laughable last summer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's started to do really well for us since Mourinho has changed his role. It's the same role he played in his first few games for us where he defends as a fullback providing cover to his centreback rather than support for his winger.

That's meant that our winger has to be prepared to drop deep and help as it invites the opposition winger and fullback forward which, while it initially seems like a bad tactic as it concedes territory, is actually beneficial as it creates space to exploit wide which has to be covered by a centreback or midfielder which in turn creates space centrally.

So it's covered a few bases in that defensively, our CB's have additional support and a more compact back line and offensively we have more space to work with.

Contrast that with how we played last season where Van Gaal would insist on such a high line with the fullbacks providing an outlet on each touchline being used to recycle play. By playing in their half we never had any space in behind to exploit and faced compact defenses that were nigh on impossible to draw out of position. That's the biggest difference between Mou and LVG tactically. Mourinho has always excelled at giving his teams the confidence to play close to their own goal to create avenues to exploit further up the field.

el3mel

Again proves he's a very solid back-up if you need a defensive minded full back at certain games.

Jose'll keep him. I'm sure of this.

Nanotron

Although hes done wellish lately I dont want him in the side as frequently as he has been. Restricts us too much in attack. Defensively hes been solid.

edcunited1878

He's started to do really well for us since Mourinho has changed his role. It's the same role he played in his first few games for us where he defends as a fullback providing cover to his centreback rather than support for his winger.

That's meant that our winger has to be prepared to drop deep and help as it invites the opposition winger and fullback forward which, while it initially seems like a bad tactic as it concedes territory, is actually beneficial as it creates space to exploit wide which has to be covered by a centreback or midfielder which in turn creates space centrally.

So it's covered a few bases in that defensively, our CB's have additional support and a more compact back line and offensively we have more space to work with.

Contrast that with how we played last season where Van Gaal would insist on such a high line with the fullbacks providing an outlet on each touchline being used to recycle play. By playing in their half we never had any space in behind to exploit and faced compact defenses that were nigh on impossible to draw out of position. That's the biggest difference between Mou and LVG tactically. Mourinho has always excelled at giving his teams the confidence to play close to their own goal to create avenues to exploit further up the field.
good point on the defensive responsibilities as it relates to the player above him, i.e. left sided midfielder/winger. another reason why Rashford and Mkhitaryan have played more from the left (at least it seems that way) compared to Martial or whoever else because Rash and Mkhit are defensively responsible and understand how it improves the team/team shape and are disciplined.

stevoc

If we get a good offer this summer we should still sell. He's been playing well defensively recently but you never know if it will last. Plus more importantly we can get another fullback who is good defensively but can also offer something going forward to fill his place in the squad.

Been saying since he joined he is solid defensively and it's worth keeping him around for that. He's arguably our only full back who naturally defends and knows the positioning. Valencia is great going forward but often gets caught out going back, it even happened in this last game.

Stadjer

Usefull squad player. Is capable of defending, isnt injured for the bigger part of the season and can play at both wings. Maybe mot first choice material but i wouldnt mind it at all if he stayed at United.

RedCurry

He doesn't offer anything in the attack but he's been Mourinho's go to man in defense this season. If I were the manager, I would still want an upgrade on him but he's dependable and I see why the manager likes him.

red4ever 79

Coming good at the right time. Much better defender than he is going forward, however I can live with that. Been Mr consistency the past 2months and I think he will stay next season. Better at defending than Shaw.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He was one my top 3 choices for RB in the summer when he signed him, based on his WC performances. Came here and did well initially to look completely inept for the rest of VG's reign. Has started to look decent again under Jose as a defensive back.

I would keep him for another season now. Jose likes his defensive backs and he could be a useful option for either the left or the right. Would be happy if Darmian, Valencia, Shaw and Kolasniac are our four options at FB's next season.

red4ever 79

Didnt I read that Kolasniac had signed for Arsenal? Maybe I am mistake. I would be happy with Darmian, Shaw, Blind to cover lb and Valencia and (Walker or Fabinho) to cover the RB

lopiop

If I recall correctly he was a flying wing back that could play on the right and left at Torino. And he could attack decently. Did van gaal-ism remove his ability to play offensively? Since he seems to be nervous with the ball at attacking positions(or anytime he gets the ball).

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Didnt I read that Kolasniac had signed for Arsenal? Maybe I am mistake. I would be happy with Darmian, Shaw, Blind to cover lb and Valencia and (Walker or Fabinho) to cover the RB
Don't think he has signed with anyone. Will be a very good buy on a free when we need to spend money on our attack, midfield and central defense this summer.

Also, I read that Rojo is out until 2018, which is one less option at LB.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Shouldn't be sold in the summer. Can provide excellent cover throughout the defense. Mirror called him our weak link the player rating today, for some reason.

TehRed

He's done well recently, he looks more solid and getting a run of games will surely help that. Like the rest of the team, he carried out his role tremendously against Chelsea, and it looks like he's taken confidence from that. The fact that he can operate on either flank is a great string to have to his bow, and despite the links in the media of a move back to Italy, I could see us keeping him for one more season at least.

Hellboy

Hated him at times this season, as he's been very average at best in the PL but he could be a very important next season in Europe.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In the last few weeks he was very good defensively. Still doesn't offer anything in attacking, maybe that's down to instructions or confidence but defensively his performance was very good.

JoaquinJoaquin

If I recall correctly he was a flying wing back that could play on the right and left at Torino. And he could attack decently. Did van gaal-ism remove his ability to play offensively? Since he seems to be nervous with the ball at attacking positions(or anytime he gets the ball).
He did play that style at Torino and looked excellent. Really hasn't showed the attacking side if his game here but I think alot of that was down to Van Gaal tactics and loss of confidence. He seems to of nailed down the defensive aspect again the last 6 or 7 weeks so hopefully that attacking outlet will come back in time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Same old Darmian. As long as the player doesn't run passed him he's happy. Think he forgets that crossing the ball is actually allowed :lol:

Well done you plank. I hate the way he jogs about in slow motion. Zero desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.