Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He was poor on their second goal and if he's not doing his job defensively he's not offering anything else.

Man-United

He's been awful since he came to the club with the odd exception. They need to get rid of him.
Look at page 35. Almost everyone wants him to stay! How much one month can do, so weird things you read on forums.

darko

Look at page 35. Almost everyone wants him to stay! How much one month can do, so weird things you read on forums.
I went back and took a look. :lol: I thought he did an okay job filling in as a sub at CB but that was just one game. In my opinion, he shows no desire. He's a guy who hasn't played many games and one would think when he gets his chance that we would see some fight in him. But that wasn't the case, once again.

Man-United

I went back and took a look. :lol: I thought he did an okay job filling in as a sub at CB but that was just one game. In my opinion, he shows no desire. He's a guy who hasn't played many games and one would think when he gets his chance that we would see some fight in him. But that wasn't the case, once again.
It's fun to look back, but shocking how so many wanted him because he did a good job the last few weeks. A full season having Darmian here next season? No fecking way. He should be one of the first to get sold.

Obiorahking_

How the hell was the second goal his fault? Was it not Welbeck who was completely unmarked in between Smalling and Tuanzebe? He has done a solid job as a back up left back, I don't know what anyone could possibly want

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How the hell was the second goal his fault? Was it not Welbeck who was completely unmarked in between Smalling and Tuanzebe? He has done a solid job as a back up left back, I don't know what anyone could possibly want
He was very slow getting out to Ox

darko

And who is to say even with added pressure that ball dosen't find Welbeck? He was still open

He has more time to set his cross. Under pressure, it's harder to pick out a player. Having said that, Darmian shouldn't be on a tea break just because you think Welbeck is unmarked. His job is to close him down ASAP. There was no ASAP in Darmian's movement.

AndyJ1985

He's not terrible, but he's nothing special either. Another one for the mediocre squad player list as far as I'm concerned.

Obiorahking_

He has more time to set his cross. Under pressure, it's harder to pick out a player. Having said that, Darmian shouldn't be on a tea break just because you think Welbeck is unmarked. His job is to close him down ASAP. There was no ASAP in Darmian's movement.
Yes and I have already conceded that he was culpable, but not on the same level as the defenders and the GK who let Welbeck have a free header.

darko

Yes and I have already conceded that he was culpable, but not on the same level as the defenders and the GK who let Welbeck have a free header.
Defenders play zonal coverage and that ball in between two of them. So you think DDG should have sprinted out to grab the cross but Darmian can casually jog towards OC.

Obiorahking_

Defenders play zonal coverage and that ball in between two of them. So you think DDG should have sprinted out to grab the cross but Darmian can casually jog towards OC.
I don't think you understand what I am saying, so let me reiterate:
All four players in the second goal were culpable

Thats Smalling, Darmian, De Gea and Tuanzabe. I am saying that Smalling shares more culpability than anyone else regardless of whether they were playing a zone or man marking.

Web of Bissaka

Thats Smalling, Darmian, De Gea and Tuanzabe. I am saying that Smalling shares more culpability than anyone else regardless of whether they were playing a zone or man marking.
:confused:Tuanzebe is marking Sanchez tightly.

Smalling is marking Welbeck, could've handled it better.

Darmian on OxC, could've block the cross better.

De Gea could've try punching it out, but his decision-making for crosses is one of his limitation.

Basically, everyone could've done better, even the other players involved before we lost the ball leading to the cross.

GM K

Darmien has been very, very average.

Occassionally solid defending but offers zero going forward.

luke511

He's not bad for a back up full back, he's puts in a good shift defensively but attacking wise he's pretty shite.

Pearson

He could've have a bit better for the second goal, should've blocked that cross. But I don't want to blame him too much, he has been excellent for last few games. And he really did well against Chelsea and Manchester City.

darko

Please read what I am saying. Darmian dogged it to OC. That means he lacked effort. That is unacceptable.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's just an added body who excels in nothing he does. In my opinion we should sell him and add somebody whose younger and can learn something from shadowing Valencia.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He could've have a bit better for the second goal, should've blocked that cross. But I don't want to blame him too much, he has been excellent for last few games. And he really did well against Chelsea and Manchester City.
I don't care that he didn't block the cross per say - its that he made no attempt at all to do so.

It's one thing to try and get it wrong, it's another thing to not look bothered about it at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, he's really turned things round in recent weeks. I thought he generally played well against Arsenal too. Should have done better blocking that cross but no performance should ever be judged on one moment.

Pearson

I don't care that he didn't block the cross per say - its that he made no attempt at all to do so.

It's one thing to try and get it wrong, it's another thing to not look bothered about it at all.
He deserves your criticism for that negligence, but not you focus on that moment out of a whole generally okay performance.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If you want a defensive (right footed) left back, might as well just stick Tuanzebe there all of next year, he'd do the same job, better and add much more on the ball too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First rule of defending as a fullback is show the man outside, and then BLOCK the cross. If he sprints to him like he should do, he would either block the ball coming into the box or at least make it difficult enough that he can't cross it exactly where/how he wants it. The fact Darmian just slowly jogged out to him put him under no pressure. It's his fault mainly.

Yes once the ball came into the box Smalling is awful too, but that wouldn't of happened if Darmian did his 1 and only job. It's not the first time either, he's so casual when it comes to rushing out wide and blocking. He's happy as long as they aren't running at him!

Sylar

Apart from a 5 minute spell (think it was the first 5 mins of the game where he was beaten on the inside), he did defensively.
Going forward however we defo need somebody better to progress. Hes a decent squad player if Jose wants him as that. But not a starter imo.

el3mel

Apart from a 5 minute spell (think it was the first 5 mins of the game where he was beaten on the inside), he did defensively.
Going forward however we defo need somebody better to progress. Hes a decent squad player if Jose wants him as that. But not a starter imo.
Yeah he started the game really in a terrible way and him and Blind got the left side completely open at the beginning of the game. He grew in the game later on but I think he was average, no mistakes but not significant performance either.

He seems to be good as a man marker but not very good if you're playing zonal defense.

Obiorahking_

First rule of defending as a fullback is show the man outside, and then BLOCK the cross. If he sprints to him like he should do, he would either block the ball coming into the box or at least make it difficult enough that he can't cross it exactly where/how he wants it. The fact Darmian just slowly jogged out to him put him under no pressure. It's his fault mainly.

Yes once the ball came into the box Smalling is awful too, but that wouldn't of happened if Darmian did his 1 and only job. It's not the first time either, he's so casual when it comes to rushing out wide and blocking. He's happy as long as they aren't running at him!
Correct. but the first rule of assigning primary culpability is assessing who was marking or had the duty of keeping out the guy who scored, and that was Smalling.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Similar situation to Rojo - who was a dire full back. Would be interested to see him centrally as to me he offers nothing going forward and to think we gave Rafael away for peanuts. Stupid LVG. Our width from full back is so bad right now.

stevoc

Similar situation to Rojo - who was a dire full back. Would be interested to see him centrally as to me he offers nothing going forward and to think we gave Rafael away for peanuts. Stupid LVG. Our width from full back is so bad right now.
Yeah that part of it really is annoying. We basically paid £10m to downgrade to an older fullback.

Van Gaal's transfer business really was abysmal.

rocks13

Yeah that part of it really is annoying. We basically paid £10m to downgrade to an older fullback.

Van Gaal's transfer business really was abysmal.
Yes, because having the fairly average Rafael playing out of position as left-back would clearly be a massive improvement. If only we could have Danny Welbeck back too.

stevoc

Yes, because having the fairly average Rafael playing out of position as left-back would clearly be a massive improvement. If only we could have Danny Welbeck back too.
Rafael isn't average thats nonsense. Darmian isn't a left back, and he wasn't signed to play there.

rocks13

Rafael isn't average thats nonsense. Darmian isn't a left back, and he wasn't signed to play there.
But that is clearly where he played last night and has been recently. Why would you feel that having Rafael who also isn't a left back would improve that or was it just a chance to have a dig at Van Gaal?

Status
Not open for further replies.