Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaford RED

He’s always been fine as a defender, he just doesn’t offer anything going forward.
He played well, a much more solid defensive option than Luke Shaw.
Shouldn't lose his starting place at left back, when Shaw is fit. Oh ! I will rephrase that, when Shaw has recovered from his injury.

stevoc

He was alright tonight, didn't make any feck-ups so fair play.

He is much better then.. Buttner
It's close, Buttner's ability going forward might edge it. But both amongst the worst fullbacks in my time watching United.

Andersons Dietician

Out of all our fullbacks he probably been the best defender out of the lot and easily the best crosser on the right hand side. Love when he demonstrates his knowledge of the dark arts of defending.

Holocene

He played well. I really hope he gets a run of games in the starting XI.

Golden Nugget

He's not my type of player, but couldn't fault his commitment. Really good defensively, poor in attack. Failed to trap an easy pass - but made up for it right away through some good pressure.

Out of all our fullbacks he probably been the best defender out of the lot and easily the best crosser on the right hand side. Love when he demonstrates his knowledge of the dark arts of defending.
His run across the front of Aubameyang was great. None of our other fullbacks know to do things like that. He doesn't get forward much but i'd rather be defensively solid than charge forward and slow every attack down (Valencia) or fire 20 crosses straight back to the opposition (Young).

Ideally for the rest of the season it would be Darmian on the right and Shaw on the left, with Dalot getting a few games here and there. Not the best but a lot better than our two converted wingers.

Sylar

Hes normally always good when teams come onto us. The issue is when hes part of an attacking outfit to provide width and that. The best ive seen him has been part of a back 3 (think it was Jose first season).

Rossa

Yesterday he was not exposed often in one on ones. In the past, he has often struggled against both fast players and strong players who run past him like he was a cone.

red4ever 79

Consummate professional. Wanted to leave in the summer, was denied that opportunity. Has never complained, always made himself available for the match day squads, never faked any injury. When he plays which is usually once every couple of months, he does his best. He is not a top player by any means, but you cannot criticize him at all.

Liverpool 3:1 Man Utd

Irwin99

Surprised that with all our centre-back woes this season that he's not been used in a back three more often. Did ok, defended well but just offers nothing going forward. In fact I wonder if he even when past the halfway line when he was switched to full back.

Kostov

Surprised that with all our centre-back woes this season that he's not been used in a back three more often. Did ok, defended well but just offers nothing going forward. In fact I wonder if he even when past the halfway line when he was switched to full back.
Don't be ridiculous, we don't do that around here.

stevoc

Did we really even play with a back 3 yesterday?

It looked like Darmian at RB and Dalot at RW for most of the first half in a 4411/4231.

Sky Sports seems to agree:

https://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-man-utd/teams/390921

Foxbatt

When he plays for Italy he joins the attack a lot more. Must be under instructions. He can cross the ball too and also shoot from long range.

stevoc

Heatmaps suggest a bit of a hybrid. Dalot was further forward than Young on the other side but still behind Lingard who spent a lot of time wide right.
Fair enough but if you look at most heat maps formations and players positions aren't rigid. If you looked at Mata's heatmaps from RW and central i doubt there would be a great difference.

I think we went into the game intending to play 352 but it just didn't work and early ingame changes resulted in us basically playing 4231.

stevoc

When he plays for Italy he joins the attack a lot more. Must be under instructions. He can cross the ball too and also shoot from long range.
I doubt he's under strict instructions to stay back, he's just less adventurous and Mourinho knows that and accepts it. It's probably why at times he has preferred Darmian for certain games.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's simply not good enough. Modern fullbacks are crucial to the way teams attack and almost all our fullbacks are limited in that aspect, but Darmian is the worse by quite a bit.

red4ever 79

He's simply not good enough. Modern fullbacks are crucial to the way teams attack and almost all our fullbacks are limited in that aspect, but Darmian is the worse by quite a bit.
Not really his fault though to be fair. I mean he plays what once in like 2 months I am not saying he is good enough, but you cant knock him. Good professional, never complains, always makes himself available and never complains

The Irish Connection

He was solid again yesterday. Also another positive was I thought Bailly and lindelof did ok, hopefully they can keep building on the partnership.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not really his fault though to be fair. I mean he plays what once in like 2 months I am not saying he is good enough, but you cant knock him. Good professional, never complains, always makes himself available and never complains
I'm not knocking him really, he shouldn't be here. I would much rather a young player take his role in the squad, at least there might be an upturn there.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Don't you think its probably tactical? He was playing as close to Bailly as possible without playing center back and Dalot was tracking Robertson. Jose uses him quite often in that role when he needs an additional defender closing down spaces on the wings when there's an attacking fullback at the other end.

Sylar

Dont think hes good enough for us overall, but fair play to him, he hasnt sulked and all that. Hes done ok when called upon by Jose.

Ok-ish performance yesterday.He still shouldn't really be here though.For our sake and his self.
He could be a consistent first teamer at a Serie A club,a league which will suit him better.
Abit of a lack of ambition on his part but I guess he's making a good living here.

stevoc

Which players don't make themselves available? Seems a strange thing to praise someone for, it's his job.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He’s actually been pretty decent when he’s played this season, fair play to him.

Alabaster Codify7

He'll probably come in handy until the summer, unfortunately.

Dalot can't seem to stay fit for very long (which is a worry). Valencia seems done. Young can't do it all himself.

Foxbatt

he will probably go back to a big Italian club and play against us in Europe too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Surprisingly good. It must be difficult to know you're basically surplus to requirements and play well, yet somehow this season he's done so several times. Respect.

hobbers

Genuine case for him to actually be second in our pecking order of CBs behind only Lindelof.

Status
Not open for further replies.