Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

I have always enjoyed international football than club football purely because you see players playing with heart for their country in a world Cup much more than club football. Likewise, nearly every sport be it rugby, Cricket, etc is like this in terms of intensity. I find club football more entertaining however.

I have always wanted United to have the best English players & that's partly due to where United comes from, what it started with more so than anything else. Even if it doesn't -

Watching Klopp win the CL with TAA, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Gomes - it becomes pretty obvious that you don't need every single best player in the world that never wanted to come to the club in the first place to gain any success. What we need is a planned project, a project for the club and a project for the players. Just like you, I like to see how this project helps the footballers in club football as well as national football.
Yup. Especially to the last part.

Compare that to the Europa League final. One English player in the match I think.

I'm not even English but that's part of the spirit of United that I know. Now English can and should include immigrants. Just feel that those that fit the 'homegrown' tag have a different affinity to the club. I compare that with say, Inter, that history was meant to be a multinational club compared to the national heavy AC Milan.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I have always enjoyed international football than club football purely because you see players playing with heart for their country in a world Cup much more than club football. Likewise, nearly every sport be it rugby, Cricket, etc is like this in terms of intensity. I find club football more entertaining however.

I have always wanted United to have the best English players & that's partly due to where United comes from, what it started with more so than anything else. Even if it doesn't -

Watching Klopp win the CL with TAA, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Gomes - it becomes pretty obvious that you don't need every single best player in the world that never wanted to come to the club in the first place to gain any success. What we need is a planned project, a project for the club and a project for the players. Just like you, I like to see how this project helps the footballers in club football as well as national football.
Robertson and Alexander Arnold have to at least be in the discussion for best FBs in the World at this point. And Joe Gomez shows the potential to be an elite CB.

Gasolin

That's fine with me, just as it should be fine with the rest if others don't feel the same. No club victory will ever give me the feeling of France winning the world cup. That's just me.
Ah well I’m conflicted. I loved seeing France winning world cups, and it killed me to see them lose in 2006. But United is unique and comes before many many things in my life, and maybe even more than France... it’s just a special thing.

I do believe in national football though and am delighted it’s still there. But it’s not above United.

Aloysius's Back 3

Yup. Especially to the last part.

Compare that to the Europa League final. One English player in the match I think.

I'm not even English but that's part of the spirit of United that I know. Now English can and should include immigrants. Just feel that those that fit the 'homegrown' tag have a different affinity to the club. I compare that with say, Inter, that history was meant to be a multinational club compared to the national heavy AC Milan.
And this is why my secondary favourites are clubs like Ajax & AC Milan.

These clubs and United are almost part of the government & politics of the country - United doing well in world football greatly influences the country itself both in a footballing manner and a non footballing manner. It effects the next decade & likewise that decade effects the decade after. I remember the 2000-10's - how we won the CL looking like one of the best clubs I have ever seen play football, clubs like Chelsea winning their first CL, Liverpool winning the best CL final I have ever seen and Arsenal getting to a final too - I felt that English football went up a level during that time and it felt good for me because i felt that England as a country & it's footballing aspects and its non footballing aspects went up a gear.

I then had to watch 5-10 years of the Spanish football, league and ultimately the country dominate both club and national football whilst I felt England had to take a back seat. Apart from some of the new tactics - I found it really boring to watch; watching clubs I neither loved that much or hated that much do consistently well.

As I said before regarding de ligt - De ligt says or has made hints about wanting to move to the PL - that is him looking at the different national qualities of football. England have the best managers & the best tactically set up clubs all across the world right now as seen by 4 teams in the final & having almost 10 top teams or more at league level. For that reason English football looks to be at the top & for that reason I see De Ligt having a possible craving to play for Manchester United rather than say Real Madrid or Barcelona as happened with every darn top player we saw over the last 10 years. It really bores me to death when English football is not good and Spanish football or Italian football is better because I don't follow them as much as I follow England and Manchester United.

Aloysius's Back 3

Robertson and Alexander Arnold have to at least be in the discussion for best FBs in the World at this point. And Joe Gomez shows the potential to be an elite CB.
And that's because of Klopp. They are world class now because of their achievements on the pitch but players no one battered an eye lid about previously. I'm sure people would want Henderson more now than they ever did before. Hell even Milner to some level.

I look at how great TAA is and wonder - surely we must have a player like that in our youth system?

Are all footballers this video game simulation with this obvious ability that can always be reached or are these players human beings that need to be adequately coached and given chances to break in to the first team and improve day by day?

Our class of the 90's from Butt, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham etc lasted nearly 2 decades. Likewise Milan's homegrown team. Likewise Barcelona's homegrown team. Usually leading these clubs to dominating football for 10-15 years is an incredible value & I want to see that at United again. I really don't think it's some fluke.

Cloud7

That's fine with me, just as it should be fine with the rest if others don't feel the same. No club victory will ever give me the feeling of France winning the world cup. That's just me.
We’re a rare breed here mate. The country > club people. My country isn’t going to ever win anything of significance or make any kind of note in world football whatsoever, but still even the best United team in the world can’t make me as happy as watching my national team out there and hearing our national anthem playing.

minh_loc_xoay

Our class of the 90's from Butt, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham etc lasted nearly 2 decades. Likewise Milan's homegrown team. Likewise Barcelona's homegrown team. Usually leading these clubs to dominating football for 10-15 years is an incredible value & I want to see that at United again. I really don't think it's some fluke.
Look at the abuse Rashford got on here. And the ridiculous claims that McTominay was just a Mourinho's ploy instead of a talented player. Or turn the clock back and see how Tom Cleverley received so much criticism just because he "dared" to be called to national team. So yeah... The fans atmosphere right now isn't healthy for our young talented players from acadamy to develop either. Sad, but the truth hurts. :(

Aloysius's Back 3

Look at the abuse Rashford got on here. And the ridiculous claims that McTominay was just a Mourinho's ploy instead of a talented player. Or turn the clock back and see how Tom Cleverley received so much criticism just because he "dared" to be called to national team. So yeah... The fans atmosphere right now isn't healthy for our young talented players from acadamy to develop either. Sad, but the truth hurts. :(
It's because alot of these newer richer clubs needed a quick fire method of getting to the top like Chelsea & PSG. Now the clubs that had been doing this the other way also join them. This quick fire method is a short term method whilst the other method of adapting your youth team to overtake the first team and having them play in a understanding way is a more long term benefit.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Juve offer €85m for De Ligt. Barca still in the running but the situation is difficult.
Bullshit. They don't have 85 million. Not even close. He doesn't fit the profile they're looking for either.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We would happily spend £150m just to be in a position where we could bet on Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti and Todibo. Depressing.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Bullshit. They don't have 85 million. Not even close. He doesn't fit the profile they're looking for either.
Juventus are very healthy financially and they can offload many players. They can easily pay 85 million if they are desperate.

Aloysius's Back 3

We would happily spend £150m just to be in a position where we could bet on Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti and Todibo. Depressing.
Im personally hoping that we go for De Ligt this year & next season when Barcelona give up on Umtiti we take a chance on him.

I don't find Lindelof all that good enough long term.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One of the long term CBs just retired and Cheillini doesnt have long left either. I actually think Juve would be the best move for DeLigt

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
A bigger legend than VdS?

Genuine question.
Hard to say. He's definitely meant more to the club, as a manager, but as a TD in the early 2000s he had pretty disastrous effect on our academy, in particular, that had to be rectified by Cruijff 7 years later. He ha a pretty strained relationship with Ajax. He seemed quite bitter/vindictive towards us when he was at AZ and sort of distanced himself from the club. The feud between him and Cruijff probably plays a big role in the strange dynamic, as you sort of have to pick a side. Doesn't help that he got instated as CEO by the other members of the board behind Cruijff's back, leading to the court case that blocked the move and led to the whole board being dismissed.

but anyway, Van Gaal is definitely a bigger legend at Ajax and in Holland, simply due to the central role he played in our succeses in the 90s

future2future

Barzagli has retired, Chiellini is 34, Bonucci is 32 and what comes after that isn't the quality Juve is looking for. So they could very well use de Ligt

Andersons Dietician

Im personally hoping that we go for De Ligt this year & next season when Barcelona give up on Umtiti we take a chance on him.

I don't find Lindelof all that good enough long term.
If Umtiti’s Knees are as bad as reported then not a chance unless it’s on a free. Can’t remember if it’s similar to Ledley King in that his knee cartilage is damaged/gone or Hargreaves/ Puyol knee injury.

AJ10

journalist have no fecking clue about his destination, so they're just making stuff up for clicks.

Easy being a journalist these days.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
One of the long term CBs just retired and Cheillini doesnt have long left either. I actually think Juve would be the best move for DeLigt
Barzagli has retired, Chiellini is 34, Bonucci is 32 and what comes after that isn't the quality Juve is looking for. So they could very well use de Ligt
I agree Juve would be a good choice career wise. He would be guaranteed playing time which is what young players need. And fulfills De Ligt's desire to play CL football. I dont think Serie A is up to EPL standard but he could sign a 4 year contract and see where he is at in a couple of years.

doriandun

You have a point and those other clubs may well have outperformed us for a number of years now but LVG isn’t giving us an inch there.

He’s not acknowledging what fantastic fans we have for starters (which he knows because he’s experienced it himself, both home and away). That sort of support is hugely important to players and a big factor towards deciding to join a club.

He’s not acknowledging what a giant of the game we are either. We’re not some shit house club, we’re Manchester United ffs! We might be a sleeping giant atm but he’s also not acknowledging what an opportunity it is for a player to spark us back in to life. The right players could make themselves legends here.

Not to mention the fact we have a space in our 1st team for a top class centre back like De Ligt which he also conveniently forgets to highlight.

He’s just showing a lack of respect towards us fans that showed him a huge amount of support through tumescent times...there are a whole number of reasons why someone might want to join us but rent a quote Louis would rather talk up our bitter rivals. Shame on him....
He's not showing a lack of respect, but telling the lad to enagage the brain and make a decison based on finding the right working enviroment where you can showcase your talent, and grow as person and a professional, and as much as you dislike like what he has said in parts,

Any player with a salt of grain of intelligence, would not sign for the club this summer, if you factor in the clubs poor structure, shockingly bad scouts, no interest or ambition to win any honours, in the foreseeable future, can lackadaisically waste two years, by one not sacking Jose in the summer, if they had reservations, and appoint a technical director to head recruitment, last summer, and the result would be, we would be 1 year into the new project or plan.

Then appointing Ole, who has no gravitaze in the transfer market, and the last 12 games of the season is an indication he is out of his depth, and to compound the issue get phelan on board.

So we will have to wait until next season, to prise or get manager in who will be able to sort the playing side out.

littlepeasoup

Any player with a salt of grain of intelligence, would not sign for the club this summer, if you factor in the clubs poor structure, shockingly bad scouts, no interest or ambition to win any honours, in the foreseeable future, can lackadaisically waste two years, by one not sacking Jose in the summer, if they had reservations, and appoint a technical director to head recruitment, last summer, and the result would be, we would be 1 year into the new project or plan.
This, my head hurt, scouting network, did make, can do, so just do, Jose.

Fosu-Mens

Am I the only one having qualms about signing MDL?

The positives:
+ Leader
+ Abilities (on the ball, physical)
+ Could be our CB and captain for the next 10 years.
+ The Biggest defensive talent around.

Negatives:
- Raiola is his agent (Always trying to get him more money and rumors of wanting to leave --> Pogba. Giving Raiola more influence at the club is not a good thing.)
- How much will we pay him in wages to sign? It is clear that we will need to pay a lot more than other clubs to make him want to come to us. So his motivation for playing for us is partly financial.

My worries are not related to his abilities, but his agent and what we would need to pay him to come here. We have seen how destructive all the PP rumours have been for the club with Raiola trying to offload him to get him more money, and having another one of his high profile clients at the club will increase his influence. And there is still the possibility that we are yet again used as a muppet and in this case Raiola trying to get more money from Barcelona.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The positives:
+ Leader

Negatives:
- Raiola is his agent (Always trying to get him more money and rumors of wanting to leave --> Pogba. Giving Raiola more influence at the club is not a good thing.)
- How much will we pay him in wages to sign? It is clear that we will need to pay a lot more than other clubs to make him want to come to us. So his motivation for playing for us is partly financial.

My worries are not related to his abilities, but his agent and what we would need to pay him to come here. We have seen how destructive all the PP rumours have been for the club with Raiola trying to offload him to get him more money, and having another one of his high profile clients at the club will increase his influence. And there is still the possibility that we are yet again used as a muppet and in this case Raiola trying to get more money from Barcelona.
Yes.

The only reason these rumours happen is because we're Man United. The press LOVE to talk about us, as it causes them plenty of traffic. Other clubs just don't quite hit the mark.

Pogba is an easy target for them to write about. Just because Madrid want to buy him means nothing to us really. We can't stop the press talking, he's probably more than happy here.

littlepeasoup

The positives:
+ Leader

Negatives:

I think the that tallies in our favour is his age. Either we get to a stage 3-4 years down the line where we're playing good football and competing again, then I wouldn't be worried about losing him, regardless of Raiola.

If we aren't doing those things, then he'd still only be 23-24 and we'd be able to recoup a lot of the early investment we made in him (if his career continues on the upward trajectory we think it will). Still sceptical he'll sign for us, but I'd love it if he did.

Pav1878

He’s potentially too good a signing to worry about the possible negative aspects for me.
Totally agree. There may be negative connotations regarding the wages and whoever is brokering the deal but it's as simple as this: there is no better defender out there available of his level and ceiling. He's young, already experienced, shows leadership qualities, and has all the attributes you want in a CB. What more do you want?

At this point in our history we need the best players we can get, and he definitely fits the bill. The money shouldn't even come into it.

Gasolin

So he's signing for PSG or City now or what? If he's signing for us, just make it happen and move on.

Infra-red

So he's signing for PSG or City now or what? If he's signing for us, just make it happen and move on.
According to Duncan Castles, we made a massive offer to the player and Raiola, but the deal is not going to happen. We have been telling anyone and everyone that it isn't going to happen (hence the raft of reports from BBC etc at around the same time last weekend).

De Ligt has a verbal agreement with Barcelona, but they are not prepared to pay Raiola the money he now wants (€14m per season salary for De Ligt plus massive commission for Raiola). City and PSG both like the player and have the resources to meet Raiola's demands - it sounds like a fight between the petrodollar clubs and Barca.

Red71

He's not showing a lack of respect, but telling the lad to enagage the brain and make a decison based on finding the right working enviroment where you can showcase your talent, and grow as person and a professional, and as much as you dislike like what he has said in parts,

Then appointing Ole, who has no gravitaze in the transfer market, and the last 12 games of the season is an indication he is out of his depth, and to compound the issue get phelan on board.

So we will have to wait until next season, to prise or get manager in who will be able to sort the playing side out.
So he can’t showcase his talents at United. Do me a favour. We’re crying out for a top drawer Centre Back. We could be perfect for each other.

Ex United manager LVG is steering him towards our great rivals and you don’t think it’s a little bit disrespectful? Agree to disagree.

Who do you support btw because reading your message, you don’t seem to like much of anything about the club. You do know a rebuild has to start somewhere don’t you....?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I mean, if you're going to judge Ole on the last twelve games, you have to have a compelling reason why your analysis ignores the other 17 matches. Chances are, there isn't one.

Also, gravitas.

El Zoido

Looks like this could be off.
Was it ever on? Taking the red tinted specs off, he would be crazy to join us. Even the money isn’t worth it. Unless he’s a die hard Man Utd fan I just couldn't understand why he’d even entertain the idea. I think it’s all mostly paper talk and fans hoping for something.

cyberman

Was it ever on? Taking the red tinted specs off, he would be crazy to join us. Even the money isn’t worth it. Unless he’s a die hard Man Utd fan I just couldn't understand why he’d even entertain the idea. I think it’s all mostly paper talk and fans hoping for something.
Nobody underrates the size of our club more than United fans

Status
Not open for further replies.