Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I’m Norwegian and I share his exact views.

Club > Country
That's fine with me, just as it should be fine with the rest if others don't feel the same. No club victory will ever give me the feeling of France winning the world cup. That's just me.

Cliche Guevara

I'm not a United fan.

It's strange, you must be English. I've found many Englishmen who couldn't care less about international football and football club was all that mattered. I don't know if it's because England has been terrible these last 20 years, and maybe the last world cup will change that, but that's not a mentality shared by all the countries in the world. Many actually care more about their national team's success and its players' development than a club football.
They’re not really Manchester United fans then are they.

And I’m Scottish, mate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Juve offer €85m for De Ligt. Barca still in the running but the situation is difficult.

cyberman

I'm not a United fan.

It's strange, you must be English. I've found many Englishmen who couldn't care less about international football and football club was all that mattered. I don't know if it's because England has been terrible these last 20 years, and maybe the last world cup will change that, but that's not a mentality shared by all the countries in the world. Many actually care more about their national team's success and its players' development than a club football.
You've completely diluted his point. It's plainly not just supporters of our young players country that come out with this shit. Posters wishing Martial away from big bad Jose so he could win a Balon Dor in Spain was rife on here and we don't have that many French fans as posters.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They’re not really Manchester United fans then are they.

And I’m Scottish, mate.
Ah yes, then we're getting into the degree of fandom, or who is the most top red of the bunch. I'm not really interested in that, because I'm not big on being a club fan.

And my apologies for the dumb assumption. I've just found this to be a very common trait in the English people I've come across whether online or in life. Maybe I'm in the minority of those who care more about their country than a club when it comes to football, or maybe it's also because England (and Spain) are two of the best leagues in the world so you'd want all the best players of your country to stay put, but in France Ligue 1 is not at the same level and so I would like to see the best French players not staying too long there and continue their development elsewhere, even if I know it's at the detriment to the league or my club.

buckooo1978

our best chance with this transfer is his agent

Raiola's best outcome is for De Ligt to maybe get 3 big transfers - I heard his agent fee for this transfer fee is thought to be 24m (according to Castles albeit)

we could get De Ligt based on this model of Raiola squeezing as much money out of his client as possible

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
We've seen that genuine quality is worth the money. No one's laughing anymore at the fees paid for Van Dijk & Alisson.

De Ligt is the real deal.

Pav1878

We need this signing as a statement after the horror show of this past season especially what happened last night in Madrid.

Come on United, let's get this done!

Gazza

What means stop being an asshole? You asking me what 'fanboi' means? You're making no sense.

I can see fairly far back, thanks... Been a United fan for 22 years, and have followed the Norwegian national team for as long. I remember 04-06, when people were unironically saying sack Fergie sell Giggs (yeah, that meme didn't pop up out of thin air), and I was a part of the contingent that had all the faith in the world that Fergie would turn it around. You can't have that faith when you have no clue who's going to be running the club come December, and when you've seen LvG and Mourinho struggle to get us back to something resembling the United we know.

Trust me, being spoiled isn't my problem. I am not surprised we're having issues after having had ONE guy embody the club for so long, then his successor gutting our backroom staff, and since then trying to play catch up without having anybody with football expertise sitting on the board making decisions. Yes, I am being realistic. I was hoping for a swift return to the top under each and every manager, I was among the last to call for Moyes' head, and the same goes for LvG and Mourinho, and you'll generally find me being one of the more optimistic posters on the caf. That said, Ødegaard is an unparallelled talent, and I would much prefer a safer journey to the top for him, rather than him being tossed into the chaos that is the current running of our club. That's just me wanting to hedge my bets, as I'd rather not see Ole, Ødegaard and United failing, all at once and together. Slightly pessimistic, maybe, but it's not because I think we're Everton or West Ham. Liverpool were not Everton or West Ham, how long did it take for them to win a league trophy again? Oh wait, they bloody haven't. They had a massive barren streak, and didn't win a major trophy again until 2005. Being a massive club, doesn't bring any fecking guarantees, so I'd say you're coming across as more entitled than me.

THIS, @Gazza, is the reason why I don't bother much.
Fair enough! Can’t believe someone would call you “spoilt”, for starters! :lol:

Irrational.

LvG should say nothing or shut the feck up. Very disrespectful to the club that put bread on his table as put up with his tumescent brand of football for 18 months. Stick to drawing against the likes of Cambridge and losing to Midgetland Louis.

I'm sure De Ligt will value the opinion of a club legend like VdS than that dinosaur anyway.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Juve would make a lot of sense now. They have a long relationship with Raiola and De Ligt would be the ideal defender for Sarri's system.

Baneofthegame

This 100%! We should have this posted every couple of pages to reaffirm the point too so as to reduce the number of fans posting the same defeatist crap.

I can understand fans being down and upset at the last few seasons. I feel the same way but....to come on to a United fan site and talk down about the team you supposedly support and add comments like “I wouldn’t go there, I wouldn’t recommend someone going there etc” boggles my mind. As Raoul says, how will we ever improve if players don’t take a chance on us? How did perennial losers spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal etc do it? Would our “fans” prefer we don’t bother? Prefer to see our team drop down the league....the negativity on here is at unreal levels atm.

I can’t ever imagine not wanting the best for United and that includes wanting the best players, even whilst acknowledging that all is not rosy presently. You get in two or three and the dynamic can change and then you’re off again. I would always recommend a player join United personally. We are still a massive club and it’ll come right eventually.

Bitter pricks like LVG won’t change that although I wish he’d shut his trap about us!
Great post, he bought a lot of garbage signings to the club in the first place.

Norris Cole

RE: the Juve rumour

I really think this move could suit him well - unfortunately. Guaranteed games in an ageing defence, champions league football guaranteed, higher standard than Dutch league whilst still being relatively easy, Juve will probably be willing to sell to a huge offer in a few years.

This could work out well for all parties, except us...

Last edited by a moderator:

Skills

Snitch
LvG should say nothing or shut the feck up. Very disrespectful to the club that put bread on his table as put up with his tumescent brand of football for 18 months. Stick to drawing against the likes of Cambridge and losing to Midgetland Louis.

I'm sure De Ligt will value the opinion of a club legend like VdS than that dinosaur anyway.
Louis Van Gaal is an Ajax legend.

SAFMUTD

By this logic none of Pool's players should've joined them a few years ago since they weren't where they are now. If that were the case clubs would never improve.
None of liverpool current talents were signed as top talents. At least not superstar talent, We are talking about De Ligt here, he can chose to play in any team in the world.

The Nani

No surprise. LvG cared more about himself than the club from day one the pompous ass. He and Jose had that in common.

One of the reasons I’m happy we have Ole. Let’s not forget that pretty much everyone was on Klopp’s back after he signed Ox for £50m or whatever it was.

Let’s just give Ole time to implement his ideas and see where it takes us.

And sign De Ligt of course. :devil:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
None of liverpool current talents were signed as top talents. At least not superstar talent, We are talking about De Ligt here, he can chose to play in any team in the world.
De Ligt is 19 with his entire career ahead of him. Much of his value isn't because he's a superstar now (he isn't), but because he's already very good and at 19 will likely over time develop into one of the best defenders in the world. Its his long term potential that is making his valuation soar. Also, Van Dijk was considered a top talent at the time, which is why he cost them so much.

The Nani

VVD and Allison were definitely superstar signings. His point is a valid one though.

Aside from money and success, every player will have different motivations and also a different idea of what success looks like for them.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
LVG is massively sour against united (Woodward mainly) in the way he got fired. I don’t blame him but why he’s so personal against the club is crazy.
If you weren't a United fan you wouldn't find what he says to be so personal.

He's not wrong in reality, it's just because we're United fans that we take it harder. He's saying bad words so he must be bitter about us.

ArjenIsM3

If you weren't a United fan you wouldn't find what he says to be so personal.

He's not wrong in reality, it's just because we're United fans that we take it harder. He's saying bad words so he must be bitter about us.
Well he has proven many times that he is bitter about us, but that doesn't mean he's wrong

Patrick08

Well he has proven many times that he is bitter about us, but that doesn't mean he's wrong
Bitter about how he got treated? Totally fine. Tear down Woodward and club structure to shreds in converaations. Okay with that.

Being Cunning and lobbing and advising players against united in favour of other clubs, doesn't go down well with me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Juve would make a lot of sense now. They have a long relationship with Raiola and De Ligt would be the ideal defender for Sarri's system.
As well as learning from and succeeding top class CBs like Chiellini and Bonucci. It’s who I expected him to go to initially, to be honest.

ArjenIsM3

Bitter about how he got treated? Totally fine. Tear down Woodward and club structure to shreds in converaations. Okay with that.

Being Cunning and lobbing and advising players against united in favour of other clubs, doesn't go down well with me.
He's not advising against joining us is he?

ArjenIsM3

He is, to join city to replace kompany or to play with messi in Barcelona.
Yeah he's saying those would be suitable clubs for him not that we wouldn't be. And those clubs have been outperforming us for years now so he's not exactly wrong is he?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Like I said, is he saying don't join United specifically or is he saying join the best club available?

It feels personal because it's our club and we're not good enough and we don't like being told we're not but is he not just advising the best for Dutch talents?

Irrational.

Louis Van Gaal is an Ajax legend.
A bigger legend than VdS?

Genuine question.

He just seems very bitter and trying to sabotage one of the world's hottest prospects from coming to a club that he managed, and trying to encourage him to go to our rivals.

Don't see why he can't just keep quiet on the matter.

Red71

Yeah he's saying those would be suitable clubs for him not that we wouldn't be. And those clubs have been outperforming us for years now so he's not exactly wrong is he?
You have a point and those other clubs may well have outperformed us for a number of years now but LVG isn’t giving us an inch there.

He’s not acknowledging what fantastic fans we have for starters (which he knows because he’s experienced it himself, both home and away). That sort of support is hugely important to players and a big factor towards deciding to join a club.

He’s not acknowledging what a giant of the game we are either. We’re not some shit house club, we’re Manchester United ffs! We might be a sleeping giant atm but he’s also not acknowledging what an opportunity it is for a player to spark us back in to life. The right players could make themselves legends here.

Not to mention the fact we have a space in our 1st team for a top class centre back like De Ligt which he also conveniently forgets to highlight.

He’s just showing a lack of respect towards us fans that showed him a huge amount of support through tumescent times...there are a whole number of reasons why someone might want to join us but rent a quote Louis would rather talk up our bitter rivals. Shame on him....

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm not a United fan.

I have always enjoyed international football than club football purely because you see players playing with heart for their country in a world Cup much more than club football. Likewise, nearly every sport be it rugby, Cricket, etc is like this in terms of intensity. I find club football more entertaining however.

I have always wanted United to have the best English players & that's partly due to where United comes from, what it started with more so than anything else. Even if it doesn't -

Watching Klopp win the CL with TAA, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Gomes - it becomes pretty obvious that you don't need every single best player in the world that never wanted to come to the club in the first place to gain any success. What we need is a planned project, a project for the club and a project for the players. Just like you, I like to see how this project helps the footballers in club football as well as national football.

Status
Not open for further replies.