Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedorDead21

I don't want to derail the thread. I agree on some of your points, but RVP was in his final year, so 24m was a helluva lot. 25m for a young and inexperienced Rooney could also be considered to be a bit of a bank-breaker. Fergie bought well, but we have never been shy in paying top-dollar.

300k/week for De Ligt would not "break" our club, as you elegantly put. His marketing potential is immeasurable and he would be a statement signing, signalling to the world that we're still a player in the market and not just a club used by agents to earn bigger contracts for their players.
Is his marketing potential really all that? An underwhelming first 6 months at his next club and I'd say marketing falls off a cliff. All media articles will be mocking in nature about the tin hat on our transfer policy etc etc.....I'm playing devils advocate here mind as I'd happily give 90m for the lad IF he wanted to be here. I get the impression he doesn't really care for his next destination and if that's true I would go for someone else.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
This is our chance. And we're letting it go. Now is your time, Woody. Bring the dough.
he's already said he won't go to United, doesn't matter what United offer, he's choosing where he plays next, not which club offers the most.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Is his marketing potential really all that? An underwhelming first 6 months at his next club and I'd say marketing falls off a cliff. All media articles will be mocking in nature about the tin hat on our transfer policy etc etc.....I'm playing devils advocate here mind as I'd happily give 90m for the lad IF he wanted to be here. I get the impression he doesn't really care for his next destination and if that's true I would go for someone else.
De Ligt is so hot right now!

Who know what tomorrow might bring? Trends shift unexpectedly. With his quality and potential to become even better he will continue to be the most talked about defender in the world. If this is important to him then we stand a real chance (see JLINGZ)

croadyman

we are united. the signing makes sense so obviously we arent going to do anything about it.

why we arent breaking the door down for this kid is beyond me.

He must have categorically said NO to us because we arent in the champions league.
Yeah him & Sancho really make us realise how costly missing out on champions league football proved to be in the end. Really hard one to take because he is such a bargain in this current market and we can do nothing about it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Roma tried last year with Ziyech. This year Roma came for Ten Hag and Ajax said no straightaway because of last year.
Juve can always redeem their selves and offer the 75M price tag. Their marketing machine was already starting to capitalize on De Ligt. If they don't do it they will clearly go into the blacklist.

I still think that Ajax, despite being a noble attitude letting the player choose their club, should be selling for the top offer. The problem of our leagues (Dutch and Portuguese) is that we must save some for rainy days, because if a top club misses to qualify for the UCL, it causes a big hole on the bank balance, since TV and stadium ticket revenues do not suffice for a month salaries.

Member 93275

Juve can always redeem their selves and offer the 75M price tag. Their marketing machine was already starting to capitalize on De Ligt. If they don't do it they will clearly go into the blacklist.

I still think that Ajax, despite being a noble attitude letting the player choose their club, should be selling for the top offer. The problem of our leagues (Dutch and Portuguese) is that we must save some for rainy days, because if a top club misses to qualify for the UCL, it causes a big hole on the bank balance, since TV and stadium ticket revenues do not suffice for a month salaries.
I've explained this before, it's not about being noble. Players go to Ajax because of it. De Ligt could have gone earlier. Ziyech wanted to go into Europe. But they stayed or came because Ajax will be fair if they get ready for a next step. If Ajax was like PSG and would punish players for not extending (Rabiot), be all insulted about a release clause (De Ligt), or ask 150m for a player to make suitors go away, players like De Ligt and Ziyech wouldn't have been there in the first place. They wouldn't be getting 75m for De Ligt, they wouldn't have had a successful CL campaign. So it's profitable for both parties in the end. It would be damaging to their reputation to now greedily ask 125m for De Ligt in the current market, as it would betray De Ligt's loyalty to the deal. In the meantime, PSG is losing out players because of it. Ajax in the meantime is continuing to try and get players who would normally not go to the Dutch league, using this reputation.

Cliche Guevara

I've explained this before, it's not about being noble. Players go to Ajax because of it. De Ligt could have gone earlier. Ziyech wanted to go into Europe. But they stayed or came because Ajax will be fair if they get ready for a next step. If Ajax was like PSG and would punish players for not extending (Rabiot), be all insulted about a release clause (De Ligt), or ask 150m for a player to make suitors go away, players like De Ligt and Ziyech wouldn't have been there in the first place. They wouldn't be getting 75m for De Ligt, they wouldn't have had a successful CL campaign. So it's profitable for both parties in the end. It would be damaging to their reputation to now greedily ask 125m for De Ligt in the current market, as it would betray De Ligt's loyalty to the deal. In the meantime, PSG is losing out players because of it. Ajax in the meantime is continuing to try and get players who would normally not go to the Dutch league, using this reputation.
That’s not really what the other poster is saying, though, I don’t think.

I agree they shouldn’t price him out of a move but they can certainly invite offers and ask for the highest one to be matched.

Players still sign for Spurs even though they are, effectively, a prison.

Fletchageddon

300k/week for De Ligt would not "break" our club, as you elegantly put. His marketing potential is immeasurable and he would be a statement signing, signalling to the world that we're still a player in the market.
Far too many ‘statements’ made by the club. That’s the wrong thing to be doing. The best statement we can make is winning matches and then trophies.

300k a week for a 19 year old means every member in the squad will want a bigger contract. Think of the knock on effect.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Far too many ‘statements’ made by the club. That’s the wrong thing to be doing. The best statement we can make is winning matches and then trophies.

300k a week for a 19 year old means every member in the squad will want a bigger contract. Think of the knock on effect.
If you want a top prospect you have to be willing to pay! United don't have Champions League, so we need to add a few thousand quid to what other teams offer. Thankfully our wage bill is just under control. We are one of the richest around. So, pay the lad!

What is far more damaging to a club is paying 150 k/week to utter dross.

Halal Jalal

De Ligt would immediately be the second best player at the club, only behind PP, so I don't see why shouldn't he be one of the top earners too.
This 100%

Fletchageddon

If you want a top prospect you have to be willing to pay! United don't have Champions League, so we need to add a few thousand quid to what other teams offer. Thankfully our wage bill is just under control. We are one of the richest around. So, pay the lad!

Neither is a sustainable option. There’s a difference between being able to afford him and should we buy him. We can technically afford him but we shouldn’t buy him for that price (wages).
He should be on 150 max. He’s 19. He could easily be a Renato Sanches.

In dressing rooms you need a hierarchy. The best and more senior players on the best money. So the young ones have a hunger to improve both in their skills and wage. As soon as a player stops performing their money needs to go down accordingly. The reverse is true also. You need to be able to reward players for improvement.

We are currently being absolutely shafted by Rashford, De Gea, Pogba and Sanchez. That situation needs to be addressed. Adding De Ligt is not the solution.

Cliche Guevara

Seriously, if Juve have been pissing around working out a deal with Raiola, and they can’t even afford to buy him?

What a waste of everyone’s time. I thought this was done ages ago.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If they can offer 65m euros as a package, Im sure they can stretch to 75m

witchtrials

why we arent breaking the door down for this kid is beyond me
If he doesn't want to come here then there's not much we can do short of sending Vidic and Ferdinand round to his place in a balaclavas to do this literally.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
You don’t ‘break the bank’ for any player. That’s why we are in the mess we are in. Because we broke the bank for Sanchez, we have to break it for Pogba, then De Gea and now Rashford.

Starting De light on 300k. Behave the lot of you. That’s how you break a club.

We never broke the bank under fergie, we never paid the highest wages and very rarely the highest transfer fees.
We got hungry players to step up. That’s what we are going back to.

It’s the right thing to do and the more sustainable thing to do.
False. Keane forced the club to break it's wage structure and after consecutive CL failures in 2000 and 2001, SAF broke the bank for Ruud, Veron, and Rio, with the latter two on massive wages immediately which forced increased contracts for others. Those contracts set the pace in England although still trailing Italy and Spain at the time.

Cliche Guevara

False. Keane forced the club to break it's wage structure and after consecutive CL failures in 2000 and 2001, SAF broke the bank for Ruud, Veron, and Rio, with the latter two on massive wages immediately which forced increased contracts for others. Those contracts set the pace in England although still trailing Italy and Spain at the time.
Not sure about that. We notoriously under paid over a long period and spent much less than we could afford.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Not sure about that. We notoriously under paid over a long period and spent much less than we could afford.
Keane got o/a 55-60k per in 2000. Veron came in o/a 70k week, the highest earner until Beckham received a new deal if memory serves. Others soon received new deals that doubled their prior wages, reaching the 50k+ per week - the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, and Stam come to mind. Seem to recall Gary and Ole got bumped up deals nearing 40k per week. Barthez was one of the highest paid keepers on the planet at one point, receiving something like 40k per week which became a big stumbling block in early 2003 when trying to secure a loan/transfer move. Those were massive wages circa 2001-03.

The club did under spend in the transfer market most of the years but 2001 and 2002 they bought big, going away from their prior policy. They practically punted during the 1999 and 2000 windows, going for cheap backup options (save Barthez, the only summer 2000 signing despite a ravaged defense needing reinforcement).

jackal&hyde

Isn't it against the rules to negotiate contracts before having a fee agreed with the club?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Isn't it against the rules to negotiate contracts before having a fee agreed with the club?
That's why people have agents. They talk first before the clubs so technically it's not illegal.

People are foolish to think a club would go through the hassle of agreeing a fee with another club, only for the player to laugh in their faces.

jackal&hyde

No. You only need permission from the club
So Ajax gave permission to Juve to talk to De Ligt before knowing if they (Juve) are willing to offer the fee they want? What we hear now is that they are offering less then United and PSG. I don't know, this whole Juventus thing looks as fishy as the PSG reports.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
The generally held understanding is that you can't talk to a player or their representatives without permission from the player's club

the truth is the FIFA rule is a lot more open than this. All it says is that a club must inform the parent club that they will be negotiating with the player. No contract can be concluded without permission agreement from the parent club, except when there's fewer than 6 months remaining on the player's contract.

This is only the full rule for international transfers though. Within leagues, different FAs often set out different, more specific, rules about what is or isn't allowed. The Premier League, for example, explicitly states that consent is required from the player's club for negotiations to be allowed, which is where the tapping up stuff actually comes into play.

In this case though, it's irrelevant, as Ajax have supposedly given Raiola and De Ligt free reign to talk with any club they like, on the understanding that there is a minimum full 75m fee coming Ajax' way.

I feel like, from the reports, Raiola has now gone against the spirit of that agreement though, by clearly inflating his and De Ligt's demands in the negotiations and, I imagine, hinting/agreeing with, in this case, his buddy-buddy club Juve to use this as leverage to force Ajax' hand and redeem that expense from the fee they pay us. hardly surprising that he would do that though. I think Ajax' "gentlemanly" approach may have been a bit naive and I hope they sort of slam the door shut on that lenience now if there is a whiff of Raiola playing backhanded games at their expense. Need to be firm and clear now with both Juve and De Ligt.

jackal&hyde

That's why people have agents. They talk first before the clubs so technically it's not illegal.

People are foolish to think a club would go through the hassle of agreeing a fee with another club, only for the player to laugh in their faces.
I agree but, more in the vain of getting a sense if the player is interested, but what we've heard is a fairly in detail contract agreed. Someone is lying a lot in this saga and i can't tell. Is there some deal more or less agreed and Raiola is looking to get some extra cash by putting pressure or is Ajax just allowing any club to talk to their player before having a fee agreed? It's a really strange transfer this.

EDIT: Thanks Ajaxsuarez for the clarification.

redshaw

It's like he keeps pulling the United Europa short straw.

He should accept what Barca are offering then with some review at 21 if he's first choice. All he has to do is mention Madrid or United while at Barca in a few years and they'll sign him up to a huge new deal if he's doing well there. Forget about what your friend De Jong is getting at 21 playing in midfield.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't quite understand how the most important aspect is for him to negotiate a contract. Surely it's not more important than clubs agreeing a price with Ajax? Unless he has a release clause or some sort of an agreement with his current club, that should be the first order of business. Seems Juve have gone above and beyond, aided by the new tax cuts for the foreign rich in Italy, to give him more money than everyone else, but are now trying to pay small money to Ajax for the most sought after defender on the market.

I'd love to see Ajax tell them the price is 100M.

Red_Orchestra

Are we even IN for De Ligt?
If €75m (£67m) is the price that Ajax are asking for, we should be all over this. I don't understand why we haven't placed an official bid?

gulli_G

This one is getting boring, Juve do all the hard work to convince him and then cheap out with Ajax, let this saga end already!

Le Red

Didn't they personal agreement with De Ligt that he can choose his next club? If that's the case they can only deal with what Juve have to offer.
That doesn't mean they can be forced to sell him for peanuts. The reported offer is outrageous. If anything, it could piss Ajax and jeopardize the business.

Gasolin

That doesn't mean they can be forced to sell him for peanuts. The reported offer is outrageous. If anything, it could piss Ajax and jeopardize the business.
Raiola was hired to throw a chair. Then they will accept the offer, or maybe not :lol::lol::lol:

Arogantni

Supports
Zeljeznicar
It's normal that Juventus’ first offer for De Ligt was low & rejected. Juve will make an improved offer in the coming hours.

via @DiMarzio

Juventus's first offer for DeLigt has been rejected by Ajax, there will be another one (with bonuses) in the next few hours. [Di Marzio]

Ajax rejected Juventus' opening offer of €65m for De Ligt (including bonuses). At the moment their position is set on €75m. The distance between the two is not unbridgeable; the deal could still be closed in the next few hours. [Sky]

Status
Not open for further replies.