Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

Doubt it. We've been interested in both.

I wonder if Ole has spoken to the lad. Surely that would be a big push
It would show we're interested but wouldn't necessarily convince De Ligt. I mean, unless the fan in him talks somehow, but he's a Ajax fan. Maybe he admired United when he was younger.

Gandalf

It would show we're interested but wouldn't necessarily convince De Ligt. I mean, unless the fan in him talks somehow, but he's a Ajax fan. Maybe he admired United when he was younger.
His idol is Ronaldo, his first shirt was a United 7 shirt but it was about the player not the club. Ronaldo asking him to come to Juve at the NL will probably turn out to be the clinching moment in this saga when it is all said and done.

Rauður Djöfull

His idol is Ronaldo, his first shirt was a United 7 shirt but it was about the player not the club. Ronaldo asking him to come to Juve at the NL will probably turn out to be the clinching moment in this saga when it is all said and done.
Maybe Ronaldo told him to go to Utd since he knows we need him the most :P
I mean if the man really loves the club huh? Guess he just loved Fergie

I'm just kidding though. Feel you are probably right about this

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

That can't be serious ?! :lol:
Indeed. If there's a defender in world football that you just go straight in with a big offer for it's De Ligt. feck it I'd pay more than Ajax are even asking for just as a thank you to them for developing such a talent

ash_86

Our bid is way higher than that. Can see Ajax rejecting it outright

DownRiver

Am I going crazy?

If you are offering Leicester £75m and offer Maguire 150k wage, why can't you offer Ajax like £48m that Juve are offering and spend the rest of the 40-50m pounds on De Ligt's wages?

I know it's absurd, but he is younger and better than Maguire and yet you are prepared to spend more on Maguire overall? Yes, De Ligt may so no...but he won't say no to £300k a week or even more.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Am I going crazy?

If you are offering Leicester £75m and offer Maguire 150k wage, why can't you offer Ajax like £48m that Juve are offering and spend the rest of the 40-50m pounds on De Ligt's wages?

I know it's absurd, but he is younger and better than Maguire and yet you are prepared to spend more on Maguire overall? Yes, De Ligt may so no...but he won't say no to £300k a week or even more.
He apparently already has

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Am I going crazy?

make no mistake, we would of offered him the best wage, but he said no.

DoomSlayer

Maybe the treatment that Depay and Blind got at our club is why De Ligt is declining our offers.

Might be thinking that we are not providing a good environment for Dutch players, although that sounds like a big stretch of reality and most probably the reason for him not choosing United is that we are shit. :(

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Am I going crazy?

United already tried with a massive pay package, he rejected us straight away. Go back few pages, both Ornstein and Bouhafsi reported it.

kirk buttercup

Serie A is a very good move for him ,2 years there in a league where his credentials will Improve immensely. Probably win Serie A comfortably and compete in Champions league and possibly win it . Then move where ever he wants on Mega bucks. No brainer to me

DownRiver

I totally understand, but even offering him 400k-500k would be close to the overall package we would pay for Maguire! I honestly don't think he would say no to that wage. It's not like he is playing for Stoke ffs. pay his agent an even bigger commission. I just think Man utd would not pay the wages of 400k-500k a week and £45m to Ajax, but and rather pay £80m to Leicester and £150k a week because it would look better to not have a player that young be on Messi/Ronaldo wages.

Green_Red

Maybe the treatment that Depay and Blind got at our club is why De Ligt is declining our offers.

Might be thinking that we are not providing a good environment for Dutch players, although that sounds like a big stretch of reality and most probably the reason for him not choosing United is that we are shit. :(
Yea because we've never had any Dutch players come here and leave as heroes have we... Stam, RvN and VdS would probably have different opinions.

Morpheus 7

He's the saga of the summer isn't he, thought it would be Pogba. Hard to get behind a Mino client isn't it, just not in any side for the long term.

DoomSlayer

Yea because we've never had any Dutch players come here and leave as heroes have we... Stam, RvN and VdS would probably have different opinions.
Of course, but I was talking about the recent examples. Depay failed miserably and Blind was treated very unfairly by Mourinho and the club.

They both might have told De Ligt to stay clear of us, that was my point, though I did admit that it sounds a bit far-fetched.

Gasolin

Of course, but I was talking about the recent examples. Depay failed miserably and Blind was treated very unfairly by Mourinho and the club.

They both might have told De Ligt to stay clear of us, that was my point, though I did admit that it sounds a bit far-fetched.
It's been reported Blind and VdS were actually advising De Ligt to go to United. And Depay has a huge respect for United, he talks about it in his interviews where he openly shared his issues were his own and he wishes he tried harder, etc... I don't think they would kill United at all.

Schweinsteiger allegedly told Kroos to not go to United when he was leaving Bayern due to the way he was treated, which is understandable. But Blind and Depay, we don't have to worry.

SER19

Is it fair to assume he has just rejected us outright? As we could blow thar juve offer away and meet his contract demands. I think the disgraceful shutting down of players and failing to get top 4 has hurt us badly here

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's been reported Blind and VdS were actually advising De Ligt to go to United. And Depay has a huge respect for United, he talks about it in his interviews where he openly shared his issues were his own and he wishes he tried harder, etc... I don't think they would kill United at all.

Schweinsteiger allegedly told Kroos to not go to United when he was leaving Bayern due to the way he was treated, which is understandable. But Blind and Depay, we don't have to worry.
Schweinsteiger must have a crystal ball considering Kroos left the year before he joined United.

minh_loc_xoay

Schweinsteiger joined us after Kroos left Bayern to join Real Madrid, though? :houllier:

haram

He is moving to Barca in a few years. Raiola is just getting his fat share with this next move.

croadyman

Edwin could make a personal call to him and really big up Utd,hell even Ole could even pay him a visit and roll out the red carpet. Unfortunately both of these tactics will be in vain as Juve will get the deal done eventually

Le Red

Perhaps MdL and Ajax will realize Juventus won't pay anywhere near MUFC would have in wages and transfer fees.
Maybe they thought Juventus would be a better option with slightly lower values, but if the slightly lower part turns out to be an abyss then who knows...

jackal&hyde

This would be my dream signing. Fits perfectly with what United want. Supremely talented, young, great character and leadership. Hope we break the bank for him and do whatever it takes.

red thru&thru

One things obvious, he's not close to signing for anyone. A bit crazy how long it has took for not to sign for anyone.

But I'm beginning to doubt we should go for him. At the beginning of the window he was my no1 choice but we need someone really committed, who wants to play for us. The only reason he hasn't signed for us yet, he's not convinced by us. It can't be about money, as we'd offer all parties involved, enough to make this happen.

Patrick08

Juventus low balling on de ligt now:lol:. At least bid big to raise the price for them.

davidmichael

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/juventus-make-offer-to-ajax-for-de-ligt-the-latest

Instead of offering £80 million for Maguire and wages of £250K a week why don’t we give Ajax the €75 million and the 250K a week to De Ligt ? It’s like everyone wants De Ligt but no one actually wants to pay the asking price which in today’s market is nothing considering he’s top 5 in the world in his position and will only get better and will have sell on value.

RedDevil@84

Instead of offering £80 million for Maguire and wages of £250K a week why don’t we give Ajax the €75 million and the 250K a week to De Ligt ?
Doesn't the link clearly say Juventus are hoping that De ligt agreeing to join them will make the deal cheaper.
In our case, the player wasn't interested.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I had a feeling Juve would do this. I was wondering how they were able to agree personal terms and claim it was a done deal. They won’t pay the full price. Player 2 has entered the game... :D blow em out the water Ed!

dasty

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/juventus-make-offer-to-ajax-for-de-ligt-the-latest

Instead of offering £80 million for Maguire and wages of £250K a week why don’t we give Ajax the €75 million and the 250K a week to De Ligt ? It’s like everyone wants De Ligt but no one actually wants to pay the asking price which in today’s market is nothing considering he’s top 5 in the world in his position and will only get better and will have sell on value.
We did that, and he is not interested in joining us. Ornstein literally tweeted that we are actually the only team that have tabled an official offer that is accepted by Ajax yet he does not even want to entertain the idea of joining us.

Irrational.

We need to be in this. It's clear Juve are going to struggle to afford him, therefore they've tried to appeal to the player first. This is the same club that lives off free transfers and struggled to pay past €12 million for Darmian. Their wage bill must also be extortionate.

This signing makes so much more sense than Maguire, and even if there's the tiniest chance we could hijack this deal we should be going all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.