Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

George The Best

Not sure who else they’ve signed but Rabiot, Ramsey and De Ligt will all be on massive wages surely, on top of the current high earners at Juve.

Can they afford it?
No they can’t ‘afford’ it if normal business, and FFP, principles apply. Apparently they are still hopeful of getting Pogba to complete their 10 Man midfield. I can only think of 3 possible scenarios:

1. They are hoping to make a fast buck on recent acquisitions, e.g sell Ramsey for a big sum having got him on a free (unlikely, but possible).
2. They are prepared to risk future sanctions against achieving winning the CL this season (quite possible).
3. There’s a loophole in FFP that allows owners to subsidise clubs, legitimately, to massively invest (most likely).

So option 3 of mine seems likeliest.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
No they can’t ‘afford’ it if normal business, and FFP, principles apply. Apparently they are still hopeful of getting Pogba to complete their 10 Man midfield. I can only think of 3 possible scenarios:

1. They are hoping to make a fast buck on recent acquisitions, e.g sell Ramsey for a big sum having got him on a free (unlikely, but possible).
2. They are prepared to risk future sanctions against achieving winning the CL this season (quite possible).
3. There’s a loophole in FFP that allows owners to subsidise clubs, legitimately, to massively invest (most likely).

So option 3 of mine seems likeliest.
Checked transfermarkt and they’re likely to make a profit this summer.

Sold Spinazzola for 29.5 million, Audero for 20, Sturaro for 16.5, Orsolini for 15, Cerri for 9, Favilli for 7 and they’ll sell more players.

Ramsey and Rabiot are free transfers, De Ligt will cost about 70 million and Pellegrini was 22 million.

No chance they buy Pogba, probably won’t buy anyone else.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Sold Spinazzola for 29.5 million, Audero for 20, Sturaro for 16.5, Orsolini for 15, Cerri for 9, Favilli for 7 and they’ll sell more players.
I have not heard of one of those players. Spinazzola how did they sell him for 30m? Played 10 games last season? 60 games in Serie A in total and he is 26. I'm confused.

DoomSlayer

I have not heard of one of those players. Spinazzola how did they sell him for 30m? Played 10 games last season? 60 games in Serie A in total and he is 26. I'm confused.
Money laundering? Paying under the table to do shady deals and thus comply to the FFP rules? Nothing would surprise me, to be honest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Money laundering? Paying under the table to do shady deals and thus comply to the FFP rules? Nothing would surprise me, to be honest.
Seems too obvious if so. Crazy. Like a rival team ever would agree selling one of their top players and buy a dud with a big loss. Nothing wrong with that picture. Amazing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's just to balance books, it's 30 million only if Roma rates Pellegrini as 20 million player, which they do to balance their books too.

This is very common in Serie A. Not money laundering, just to balance books by inflating the price of players in swap deals

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I guess that's true. It's no more shady than offshore accounts in England.
It's clubs helping each other to settle the books. It's not something new either, Serie A clubs have done this from so long back.

Also there is no way you can prove it's illegal/shady either, as club can set any price and 2 clubs are not owned by same owner.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm beginning to doubt we even considered him. Some genius scout probably thought he was good enough or something. There has been time to go in was an "offer Ajax and he couldn't refuse" but as ever we've faffed about in the belief that with Smalling and Jones we've got the greatest CB pairing in the world

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm beginning to doubt we even considered him. Some genius scout probably thought he was good enough or something. There has been time to go in was an "offer Ajax and he couldn't refuse" but as ever we've faffed about in the belief that with Smalling and Jones we've got the greatest CB pairing in the world
You’re making an incorrect assumption imho.
Ole was clearly not happy with his cbs and even ‘joked’ about it in interview

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
To be fair, what's the last time we've seen a 19 year old CB as good as him? You can't deny he's once in a generation talent - not a top 5 CB in the world yet, but top 10 comfortably imo. With half a decade of development and improvement still ahead of him, it's scary to think of his prime potential.
This is a common thing with young players, which are already very good. Almost everyone assumes a further (most likely linear) development. Xabi Alonso once said, he was pretty much the same player at 19 as at 30. Of cource you gain experience, but on the other hand, your body gets weaker. Maybe we have already seen the best De Ligt he can be and to remember: Most of his games were in The Cheese League.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Dugarry:
De Ligt's choice makes me want to vomit.
"He is a very good player but with this mentality he will not last"
The former French striker attacked the defender for going to Juventus: " Where did the sporting choices go? There are Barcelona, PSG and Juventus . We must be clear, the sporting choice is Barcelona.
The Juve who have generally done better than Barca in the last few years? :confused:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You’re making an incorrect assumption imho.
Ole was clearly not happy with his cbs and even ‘joked’ about it in interview
didn't mean Ole... meant the genius who does the transfers (or doesn't in Woodward's case). but to me, Ole's first priority should have been this - yes. ahead of AWB!

Cal?

CR7 fan
Generally? Assuming you mean CL, they went further than Barcelona one time (2016-17) since at least Calciopoli.
18-19 Barca > Juve
17-18 Barca = Juve
16-17 Barca << Juve

I said last few years, overall Juve have progressed further than Barca over the 3 seasons.

Sterling Archer

18-19 Barca > Juve
17-18 Barca = Juve
16-17 Barca << Juve

I said last few years, overall Juve have progressed further than Barca over the 3 seasons.
your rankings are based on your feelings aren't they. Versus actual stats. Like with 2017/18 when Barca topped their group over Juve, and with both teams going out in the QFs, albeit Barca on away goals versus Juve on actual goals. And you're calling them equal? Same season Barca was almost undefeated in winning the league versus Juve losing 5 times in a hands down, lesser league.

Conveniently missing 2015/16 when Barca beat Juve to the Champions League as well..

Yeah. Ok.

Cal?

CR7 fan
your rankings are based on your feelings aren't they. Versus actual stats. Like with 2017/18 when Barca topped their group over Juve, and with both teams going out in the QFs, albeit Barca on away goals versus Juve on actual goals. And you're calling them equal? Same season Barca was almost undefeated in winning the league versus Juve losing 5 times in a hands down, lesser league.

Conveniently missing 2015/16 when Barca beat Juve to the Champions League as well..

Yeah. Ok.
As if anyone cares about the group stage as long as they qualify for the knockout stage. :rolleyes:

15/16 Barca progressed one more round than Juve.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Regardless of whether he signs for us or not, here's my not so bold predition: he will not be as good as peak Stam.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It's clubs helping each other to settle the books. It's not something new either, Serie A clubs have done this from so long back.

Also there is no way you can prove it's illegal/shady either, as club can set any price and 2 clubs are not owned by same owner.
So what do Roma gain out of this?
Sell a better player for 10m less :lol:

Hammondo

Ligue 1 is a misstep. Because it is a weak league, only flashy players like forwards can maintain their rep despite playing there. A defender's work could well go under the radar and De Ligt's stock could drop. Furthermore, he will probably have only a handful of CL games where he will have to showcase his worth and that could lead to lapses.

Always knew Raiola was using us and he was never coming to United, but he could have either stayed at Ajax or joined Barca to compete for his place.
Neymar is coming from psg far from looking as good as he did.

Sterling Archer

As if anyone cares about the group stage as long as they qualify for the knockout stage. :rolleyes:

15/16 Barca progressed one more round than Juve.
So Barca wins the CL, makes it further than Juve, consistently, has better group stage results, and has dominated a better league and you still say Juve is ahead.

Funny how some find it impossible to be mistaken. It's ok, mate, not the end of the world. Juve is still a great club. But definitely not this >> level nonsense you're sticking to.

Dutchjerry

No, it is not. He is still on a holiday and he told the Dutch television many times he will decide when he returns. He also added that everything the press is writing during that time is speculation.

Reactions: golden_blunder

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As per Di Marzio, wasn't the deal supposed to be done today. Obviously it's not, and that's because he is coming to OT

Sparky Rhiwabon

I have to think that the "exciting signings" that Woodward was talking about in his email [electronic mail] were not Longstaff and McGinn

Status
Not open for further replies.