Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So Barca wins the CL, makes it further than Juve, consistently, has better group stage results, and has dominated a better league and you still say Juve is ahead.

Funny how some find it impossible to be mistaken. It's ok, mate, not the end of the world. Juve is still a great club. But definitely not this >> level nonsense you're sticking to.
Barca winning the CL was back in 2014, not exactly recent, is it?

Since then they’ve progressed 1 round more than Juve twice and went out 2 rounds earlier than Juve once and exited the same stage once.

It hardly shows they’re at a higher level.

Gasolin

I have to think that the "exciting signings" that Woodward was talking about in his email [electronic mail] were not Longstaff and McGinn
That would be hilarious if it was Longstaff or McGinn :lol::lol::lol:.
But who could we realistically bring and be excited about? No idea...

Terminator

Expecting Juve to wrap this up quickly. Many reliable sources have already said this is close. Don't think another PSG will happen.

Drz

It's odd to choose Juve over Barcelona, though. Whereas with United, there's that lovely childhood dream and an actual project to achieve even before he's hit his prime. With Juve, it's just a full collecting of titles and maybe an outside chance at the CL
If it weren't for the rumours about the release clause, I'd have speculated that maybe Barca told him he won't be first choice in the starting 11 early doors. That is the only footballing reason I can fathom that could have affected his choice, given how far he went in the CL starting for Ajax.

RedDevil@84

This is getting boring. Why is it taking so long for Juve to wrap this up? does the kid change his mind everyday?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is getting boring. Why is it taking so long for Juve to wrap this up? does the kid change his mind everyday?
It's probably all done and pending announcement. We took a couple of days to formally announce AWB and James, two very straight forward clear cut transfers without any complex fees to agents or big marketing process in the background.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is a long way from being done imo

I reckon he's still holding out for Barca

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There's no evidence he has changed his mind. On the other hand journos have to write new articles every day.

Raiola just takes his time to negociate the best deal for his client. It's still early in the summer by transfer standards.

Suedesi

Barca winning the CL was back in 2014, not exactly recent, is it?

Since then they’ve progressed 1 round more than Juve twice and went out 2 rounds earlier than Juve once and exited the same stage once.

It hardly shows they’re at a higher level.

mattsville

Given that the agent appears to be insisting on placing a 150m Euro release clause in the contract whoever signs him basically has him on loan for 2-3 seasons max, he is going to get whored around top clubs as a play thing for the agent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is that not shady though?
It would be if they overinflate the fees excessively. I don't think this is the case. Spinazzola has been hampered by injuries but is otherwise a highly rated player in Italy, and Pellegrini is considered one of the best prospects

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're trying to short-change ajax now apparently :lol:

It's still expected they'll pay what they want within the next couple days if they can't convince them to lower the price, which they likely won't

Though having said all that, way this has gone, this won't be over until the contracts are signed. Would be funny if he ultimately turns them down. Though it's hard to see why at this point. Barcelona aren't going back for him now they're trying to sign neymar. Would someone else step up and offer him £350k a week?

Sterling Archer

Given that the agent appears to be insisting on placing a 150m Euro release clause in the contract whoever signs him basically has him on loan for 2-3 seasons max, he is going to get whored around top clubs as a play thing for the agent.
Its also an opportunity to buy a phenomenal talent at 75 million and then double your investment in a few years time! It's a no brainier. To think a CB of all positions might go for 150 million even in three years time is wild.

Not to mention, if in 3 years we are top of the food chain again, what's to say he won't sign a new contract. Bloody hell, absolutely add the release clause in there

Sterling Archer

They're trying to short-change ajax now apparently :lol:

It's still expected they'll pay what they want within the next couple days if they can't convince them to lower the price, which they likely won't

Though having said all that, way this has gone, this won't be over until the contracts are signed. Would be funny if he ultimately turns them down. Though it's hard to see why at this point. Barcelona aren't going back for him now they're trying to sign neymar. Would someone else step up and offer him £350k a week?
£350k per week per the papers is probably closer to ,£120-150k per week plus bonuses. De Ligt himself laughed at the sums being tossed around in the papers. But don't have to believe him. Rashford was supposed to be on 300/week but it's maybe 200k already factoring in achievement for full bonuses

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Page 251. Sigh.

Remember pages 1-100? Those were the pages. They don't make pages like those anymore.

Now I can hear Anna Hathaway lamenting:
"I dreamed a dream in times gone by
When hope was high and life worth living."

mattsville

Its also an opportunity to buy a phenomenal talent at 75 million and then double your investment in a few years time! It's a no brainier. To think a CB of all positions might go for 150 million even in three years time is wild.

Not to mention, if in 3 years we are top of the food chain again, what's to say he won't sign a new contract. Bloody hell, absolutely add the release clause in there
Yep I hear you, but in 3 years time in this fecked up ever inflating market, how much is 150m actually worth then, plus you are having to rebuild again having possibly coached and primed him for somebody else.

Andersons Dietician

It’s a bit crap that United were distancing themselves from DeLigt by saying they were adamant he was going to Barca and that a deal had been agreed so they weren’t bothering and now supposedly he is joining Juventus. If that’s to be believed I mean he was joining Barca then bang on for PSG and now it’s Juve so who really knows.

He just seems like one of those players that no one can afford to miss out on and at a reported 75mil seems like something you move heaven and earth for.

I’m still unzipped in the off chance a miracle happens but it’s been weeks of unzippedness and there is only so much you can do.

Sterling Archer

Yep I hear you, but in 3 years time in this fecked up ever inflating market, how much is 150m actually worth then, plus you are having to rebuild again having possibly coached and primed him for somebody else.
Perfect path to ease in Tuanzebee, no?

Sterling Archer

It’s a bit crap that United were distancing themselves from DeLigt by saying they were adamant he was going to Barca and that a deal had been agreed so they weren’t bothering and now supposedly he is joining Juventus. If that’s to be believed I mean he was joining Barca then bang on for PSG and now it’s Juve so who really knows.

He just seems like one of those players that no one can afford to miss out on and at a reported 75mil seems like something you move heaven and earth for.

I’m still unzipped in the off chance a miracle happens but it’s been weeks of unzippedness and there is only so much you can do.
I just don't understand this attitude.

Isn't the most exciting part the actual unzipping? What's the point in staying unzipped? Where's the thrill and rush from potential and hope? I'd rather zip up after every false whisper and be fresh and ready to go than deal with an off-putting draft in the interim.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Clever contract work from united - high salary, chance to be top dog AND a release clause that will double our money but is scaring other clubs off. That’s some 4d chess from United right there

Andersons Dietician

Isn't the most exciting part the actual unzipping? What's the point in staying unzipped? Where's the thrill and rush from potential and hope? I'd rather zip up after every false whisper and be fresh and ready to go than deal with an off-putting draft in the interim.
After the Oracle Spoofex spoke I figured it was fully unzip time and I’ve been unzipped ever since. I could never put it away after an unzipping. You either fully commit to the unzip or you don’t. None of this stop starting rubbish.

However a month on from those whispers and people are starting to question why i’m Doing my weekly shopping unzipped.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Could be that he has a nice breeze where he lives.

Heardy

The attitude of this kid is something else, he's interviews and social media look like all he wants is a bidding war so he gets more money. Great player but his off the field antics during this window stink.
I know what you’re getting at but he’s leaving the club he grew up at. He’s probably not bothered/loyal to any of United / Liverpool / Bayern / Madrid / Juve.

Why wouldn’t he want to get as much money as he can? I get it falls into insignificance because he won’t be hard up wherever he goes, but if one club means an extra £50,000 a week - why wouldn’t he be motivated by that?

redshaw

People get too invested in what he's doing. I don't have a problem in him getting the best deal, consulting his family and girlfriend or saying I'll leave next year after all this. Before we'd just hear the outcome and the odd piece in the paper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Going to be an incredible signing for Juve. Given they're also adding Rabiot, think they're good to be one of the absolute favourites for the CL over the next few years.

Matt007a

Raiola has obviously been making deals with several clubs. He's been talking to Juve most recently but that doesn't necessarily put them ahead. He was nailed on for Barca and PSG but hasn't signed for either yet.

He's probably got fully drawn up contracts with 4-5 different clubs and all De Ligt has to do is choose one at the end and sign the dotted line. He's been on holiday for weeks while Raiola has done all the work and stirred up stories to increase the fees for himself and the player.

I doubt anyone really knows which team is winning the race at the moment. Maybe De Ligt doesn't even know. It's not easy to decide when you have so many choices, all with their own pros and cons.

minh_loc_xoay

Raiola has obviously been making deals with several clubs. He's been talking to Juve most recently but that doesn't necessarily put them ahead. He was nailed on for Barca and PSG but hasn't signed for either yet.

He's probably got fully drawn up contracts with 4-5 different clubs and all De Ligt has to do is choose one at the end and sign the dotted line. He's been on holiday for weeks while Raiola has done all the work and stirred up stories to increase the fees for himself and the player.

I doubt anyone really knows which team is winning the race at the moment. Maybe De Ligt doesn't even know. It's not easy to decide when you have so many choices, all with their own pros and cons.
Imagine they leave everything to the deadline day, choose a team A or whatever. Then he fails the medical test... :rolleyes:

Matt007a

Imagine they leave everything to the deadline day, choose a team A or whatever. Then he fails the medical test... :rolleyes:
When does his holiday end? Can't be long, pre-season for Ajax must start soon and if he hasn't signed he'll be expected to attend.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
so.. he still hasn't signed for any one. so slow to get things down that he must be related to Woodward :lol:

Will Singh

I know what you’re getting at but he’s leaving the club he grew up at. He’s probably not bothered/loyal to any of United / Liverpool / Bayern / Madrid / Juve.

Why wouldn’t he want to get as much money as he can? I get it falls into insignificance because he won’t be hard up wherever he goes, but if one club means an extra £50,000 a week - why wouldn’t he be motivated by that?
I get it and of course anyone would want to take an extra £50k a week but I was pointing out the way he has been acting about it with he’s interviews and social media. At he’s age he should be concentrating on winning titles as the money will come where ever he goes. I can’t believe a youngster who has the opportunity to play with Messi or Ronaldo wouldn’t just follow he’s dream rather then money...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

We obviously tried but he didn't fancy moving to us in a bad state, so that's that. The other clubs are offering a similar salary so we don't even have that advantage.

Time to button up and live to unzip another day on this one i'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.