Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

And the Italian league is highly non competitive with juve almost certain to win.

Hardly a place for a so called 'challenge'

#00F

Supports
Barca
I don't think United fans should feel too bad about this. You will always get talents in market. There are no gurantees for young talents (see Dembele). I always felt his major hype came because of some gaols he scored from set-pieces rather than actual defending. Watch this over next few years and see how it works.

Reactions: jojojo

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Rabiot - Free
Ramsey - Free
De Ligt - 60 million

Imagine getting those three players, how much of a difference would it make to Top 4 race and closing the gap to City/Liverpool. Possibly a new generational defender like Maldini (or new Sergio Ramos at least) + 2 CMs for new, proper midfield with Pogba instead of the dross he's forced to play with.

That's the true price of failing to qualify for CL - not just the immediate drop in prestige or finances, but the ensuing limitations in transfer market. Instead of getting those three players with plenty of budget left for Sancho, we're expected to pay world class fees for second rate talents like Maguire or Longstaff. If we were in CL, there's no doubt that the likes of De Ligt or Rabiot would rather play for us than for Juventus. It's absolutely essential that we hold on to PP now, because he's one the few decisive factors making 20/21 CL qualification possible. Another year in EL and we're nothing but a more marketable Arsenal, it's not an option.
Its great business, spending 60m on these 3 players. While we may have to spend 50m on Longstaff, or 85m for Maguire, who are probably not as good too.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Some salty underrating of Juventus and Italy going on here.
I also would prefer Juve over ManUtd without any doubts. It´s about money and short-term perspective. I don´t see how ManUtd is gonna get back to the Top 5 of European Football anytime soon. If u are once out of the club, they don´t just pull you back in.

Smudge

I also would prefer Juve over ManUtd without any doubts. It´s about money and short-term perspective. I don´t see how ManUtd is gonna get back to the Top 5 of European Football anytime soon. If u are once out of the club, they don´t just pull you back in.
Liverpool don't agree

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That's less than I thought, but didn't SAF get rid of him, rather than him wanting to leave.
Although I think SAG later admitted it was a mistake.
Was he caught up in some drugs ban not long after he left?

Probably different circumstances.
Yep, SAF says he made a mistake, but truth be told I think he was past his physical peak after an achilles injury.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Juve are one of the most bent clubs in existence, so it's easy for them to stay on top. They have a disgusting history of corruption and it just gets swept under the carpet. Horrible rabble.

DoomSlayer

Just you watch us do it. All of you that have crawled outside will be swiftly going back under.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
But ManUtd acts not like Liverpool, more like Milan. And i don´t see any signs for change yet. But i guess Hope dies last?
Behave yourself man, Liverpool only got their act together in the last three or four years. Prior to that they were pissing around with the likes of Hodgson and Jay Spearing.

steferrari

Juventus Fan
Supports
Juventus
"lol" as much as you want. You lot are in a better shape now, but that’s the only thing you guys got over us.
Believe me or not, but even as a Juve fan I have and I always had a lot of respect for Manchester United.
In the 90's Juve vs Man United became an European classic, Lippi vs Ferguson, so many beautiful battles and beautiful words of respect from both sides (one of Sir Alex quotes is in our museum, I took this photo in 2012).

I simply disagree with you if you say: "Who the hell choose them over us?"

In my opinion, it's not that surprising.
Two big clubs, but in this particular moment we are winning domestically, we are a top-side in Europe and you guys are not.
History matters until a certain point.
AC Milan has a lot of history but would a world class player play for them right now? I don't think so.
Same for us when we struggled after returning to Serie A.

When you will return to the top, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time, then it will be easier to sign these kind of players.

Last edited:

::sonny::

Believe me or not, but even as a Juve fan I have and I always had a lot of respect for Manchester United.
In the 90's Juve vs Man United became an European classic, Lippi vs Ferguson, so many beautiful battles and beautiful words of respect from both sides (one of Sir Alex quotes is in our museum, I took this photo in 2012).

Two big clubs, but in this particular moment we are winning domestically, we are a top-side in Europe and you guys are not.
AC Milan has a lot of history but would a world class player play for them right now? I don't think so.

When you will return to the top, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time, then it will be easier to sign these kind of players.
Juve are a structured club, with a great management

United lacks of quality management and knowledge of how the market works

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They didnt do too bad under Benitez.
My point is that they've had many more troughs than peaks since their last league title.

Nonsense to see them held up as a well run club relative to United.

Before last season, even at our lowest ebb in ages, post-Ferguson, we'd won more pots than the Scousers.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
My point is that they've had many more troughs than peaks since their last league title.

Nonsense to see them held up as a well run club relative to United.

Before last season, even at our lowest ebb in ages, post-Ferguson, we'd won more pots than the Scousers.
I misunderstood your post,I thought you were discrediting RB's work but yes I would agreed with that.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I don't think United fans should feel too bad about this. You will always get talents in market. There are no gurantees for young talents (see Dembele). I always felt his major hype came because of some gaols he scored from set-pieces rather than actual defending. Watch this over next few years and see how it works.
Initially the hype was exactly about his defending (see United-Ajax game in EL final for starters), then admittedly his reputation went up a notch because of the goals. It's reasonable, though. People see a ballsy leader in him at such a young age, too.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
there are a lot of bitter and shallow comments on this thread about Juve now by people that have no clues what they are talking about when they write about match fixing, corruption etc. It is a far too complex topic to be dealt with in a childish name calling way like some posters have done, having the audacity to accuse me to be a troll. Most importantly it is OT so won't entertain more of this silly comments, happy whenever possible to discuss it seriously in an appropriate thread.

Going back in topic football is also characterised by cycles. Both Juve and MU are huge clubs in Europe, both are in the elite, currently Juve is in a good position despite starting from a very disadvantaged one only a few years ago after the Calciopoli scandal that costed the club its top players and lots of money. On top of that we had a very weak management until Agnelli took over and rebuilt the club from almost 0. 8 years ago third tier players like Di Natale or Borriello refused to go to Juve not in favour of Real or MU but for Roma or Udinese.

The management is the most important thing in a club and Juve has always benefited in its history from having the best and most stable management in Italy also thanks to the long support by the Agnelli family, it is not by chance that the two worse periods in last century have coincided with managerials crisis (caused by external shocks) in the late 80's following Berlusconi purchase of Milan and the mid 2000 following the Calciopoli scandal without going into the details of who and how created it.

In the last decade Agnelli and his management have done an incredible job, without any external capital injection apart from one at the very beginning of his tenure to save the club from bankruptcy following the scandal. All this having to compete with at least 10 clubs that have way superior financial means thanks to the strength of the EPL or of their brands in the case of the 2 Spanish giants (how and when their brands were developed is an interesting topic for another conversation)

The way I see MU is a great club that has become complacent and mismanaged in the last few years after SAF left.
Ferguson was a legend but in a way he was the whole club and that was a weakness once he left because no club can rely only on one person. Once he left his legacy was never taken over.
MU kept being a marketing and commercial power house which is great, but sport wise is not even one of the top 10 clubs in Europe at the moment despite all the money spent.
I think this will change, because with a brand like yours it cannot Not go back on top, but the speed with which it will, will not depend on the players you buy but on the quality of your decision making process, and therefore of your management.
The bitterness and childish name calling of some are misplaced, I get it is not pleasant to loose a good player like De Ligt, but there are plenty of good players coming up every years, on the other hand there are not plenty of great managers and those should be what you worry about IMHO

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Who cares about Juventus or their league? What they are accused of is properly factual, one of the shadiest footballing places in general is Italy.
It's always upsetting when a quality player chooses to go elsewhere but dip into your dignity locker for goodness sake.

Ventura

Juventus are good and all, but if it's true that MDL (Raiola) is insisting on a release clause, they will also be one of few clubs who would agree to it and not much of a choice. I wouldn't want United to buy him when Raiola is already planning a move in 2-3 years tops. I don't know if it's true though. I'm sure the resident Juventus fans will insist that it isn't and that he's planning a long career there.

Halal Jalal

Its great business, spending 60m on these 3 players. While we may have to spend 50m on Longstaff, or 85m for Maguire, who are probably not as good too.
Yeah, very frustrating to see other clubs making smart deals like this. We need to get our sh*t together and be back in contention for these elite players.

Sterling Archer

Got much the same respect for Juve having had my prime football fandom in the same time period.

My only question of disbelief with DeLigt choosing Juve has to do with his statement early in the window about wanting a challenge and guaranteed playing time as a starter. That seemed to me like the 'excuses' one might use to go to this current United team over the likes of Juve or Barca.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Behave yourself man, Liverpool only got their act together in the last three or four years. Prior to that they were pissing around with the likes of Hodgson and Jay Spearing.
So four years of very good work from Liverpool to get back to the Top in Europe. Bayern needed also 4 years (2009-2013). Now you may see, what it takes, to get back in. It´s time for ManUtd to start the good work, if u ask me or they still will be compared to AC Milan and only Dreamers will talk about the glory future. Players like De Ligt prefer facts, i guess. The last time ManUtd won the UCL, De Ligt was 8 years old and 11, when ManUtd reached the UCL final for the list time till now. He was 17, when Juve reached their last UCL final.

Last edited:

enigmista

Supports
Juventus
Juventus are good and all, but if it's true that MDL (Raiola) is insisting on a release clause, they will also be one of few clubs who would agree to it and not much of a choice. I wouldn't want United to buy him when Raiola is already planning a move in 2-3 years tops. I don't know if it's true though. I'm sure the resident Juventus fans will insist that it isn't and that he's planning a long career there.
If a player wants to go, Juve lets the go. Management has allways acted this way. You are fully committed to the club or you leave, even if sometime it means selling under market price or for free.

This is also one of the reasons why a lot of free agents choose Juve in my opinion. Leaving a club like PSG, Atletico, Barca or United when you are not feeling you belong there anymore can be a nightmare.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
So four years of very good work from Liverpool to get back to the Top in Europe. Bayern needed also 4 years (2009-2013). Now you may see, what it takes, to get back in. It´s time for ManUtd to start the good work, if u ask me or they still will be compared to AC Milan and only Dreamers will talk about the glory future. Players like De Ligt prefer facts, i guess. The last time ManUtd won the UCL, De Ligt was 8 years old and 11, when ManUtd reached the UCL final for the list time till now. He was 17, when Juve reached their last UCL final.
??

Bayern was in the CL final of 2010.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
There's no hype, or do you really think Barcelona and Juventus pay 86m en 75m for hyped players ?

De Ligt played an EL final, a CL semi-final and the nations leaque final is 19 years old, captain and Golden Boy award winner.

passing-wind

Juventus are currently in a much more comfortable position for MDL to choose. We haven't had any consistency in anything for ten years, we have a manager who many are uncertain over, we are in a transition period not only for the players but also the hierarchy. This is common knowledge to us as fans so imagine the perspective of those in actual footballing circles, Manchester United is a circus right now.

We aren't just talking about a regular talent, MDL is as appears a generational player, we aren't even the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best team in the country and people are surprised the most sought after defensive talent has chosen Juventus over United :houllier:

Last edited:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Comparison to AC Milan is way wide of the mark – the money we have chucked at it in the past six years makes that parallel completely redundant.

United fans sound like a broken record, but getting a proper football plan in place at board level would help massively.

I take your general point but we are miles apart from being a Milan case.

#00F

Supports
Barca
There's no hype, or do you really think Barcelona and Juventus pay 86m en 75m for hyped players ?

De Ligt played an EL final, a CL semi-final and the nations leaque final is 19 years old, captain and Golden Boy award winner.
We paid 100m+ for Dembele. Clearly we paid for hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.