Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinNombre

So four years of very good work from Liverpool to get back to the Top in Europe. Bayern needed also 4 years (2009-2013). Now you may see, what it takes, to get back in. It´s time for ManUtd to start the good work, if u ask me or they still will be compared to AC Milan and only Dreamers will talk about the glory future. Players like De Ligt prefer facts, i guess. The last time ManUtd won the UCL, De Ligt was 8 years old and 11, when ManUtd reached the UCL final for the list time till now. He was 17, when Juve reached their last UCL final.
De Ligt was not even born when Juventus last won the CL. In fact, his parents weren't even in a relationship when they last won the CL.

Behave.

The two reasons MDL is going to Juve is that they are only the club willing to
a. Offer 300k/week to a 19 year old
b. Allow a 120m release clause in his contract.

If he wanted to join a club for "footballing" reasons, he would have joined Barca.

If he wanted a "challenge", he would have joined United.

SinNombre

BTW it is kind of pathetic for some of these fans of Werder, Juventus to creep out of the woodwork and try to denigrate their hosts. United have been horribly mismanaged in the last 5 years but despite that, even footballing wise, our recent achievements are better than Napoli the 2nd best team in Italy, leave alone Milan who get beaten by the likes of Atalanta and Inter.

Do these silly fans realistically think Napoli could
a. win the europa cup
b. finish 2nd ahead of Liverpool and Spurs in the league
c. beat PSG in a CL knockout
in a 24 months period?

Footballing tiers currently

Tier 1 - Barca, RM, Man City, Liverpool
Tier 2 - Bayern, Juve, PSG, Spurs
Tier 3 - Atletico, BvB, Chelsea, United, Ajax
Tier 4 - Arsenal, Benfica, Porto, Napoli

Bwuk

Find it strange it’s taking them to long to confirm everything.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
BTW it is kind of pathetic for some of these fans of Werder, Juventus to creep out of the woodwork and try to denigrate their hosts. United have been horribly mismanaged in the last 5 years but despite that, even footballing wise, our recent achievements are better than Napoli the 2nd best team in Italy, leave alone Milan who get beaten by the likes of Atalanta and Inter.

Do these silly fans realistically think Napoli could
a. win the europa cup
b. finish 2nd ahead of Liverpool and Spurs in the league
c. beat PSG in a CL knockout
in a 24 months period?

Footballing tiers currently

Tier 1 - Barca, RM, Man City, Liverpool
Tier 2 - Bayern, Juve, PSG, Spurs
Tier 3 - Atletico, BvB, Chelsea, United, Ajax
Tier 4 - Arsenal, Benfica, Porto, Napoli
First of all the PSG game came out of nowhere for United, in Paris they're still figuring out how it happened.

Plus United finished 6th this past season.

Spurs had a very Lucky CL season, they won the match/tie 5 times in the final 20 minutes of the games. Against Ajax they were the lesser side, footballing wise. Didn't stand a chance when they played their normal game.

Footballing tiers based on last season:

Tier 1 - Barca, Man City, Liverpool
Tier 2 - Bayern, Juve, RM, PSG, Ajax
Tier 3 - Atletico, BvB, Chelsea, Spurs
Tier 4 - Arsenal, Benfica, Porto, Napoli, United

ArjenIsM3

First of all the PSG game came out of nowhere for United, in Paris they're still figuring out how it happened.

Spurs had a very Lucky CL season, they won the match/tie 5 times in the final 20 minutes of the games. Against Ajax they were the lesser side, footballing wise. Didn't stand a chance when they played their normal game.

Typical cocky Ajax fan

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Ajax Tier 2?
I'd agree that you had a great last season, but tiers aren't decided on one season alone, but by atleast 3-4 seasons! Hell, I'll put them towards lower end of tier 4 or upper tier 5. Its your Eredivisie title in 5 years(?), a league that's 7th best in Europe at best.
If you're going by last season alone, I'd agree that Ajax should be up there, but then RM should be in tier 4 alongside Utd, (after all their points tally was 2 better than ours, but were worse in Europe than us) and PSG should be tier 3 (Ro16 in Europe, failed to win domestic cup in a one team league)

3KDré

There's no way you can have Ajax above Spurs. They were not lucky, they beat City and they deserved it. They beat you and deserved it.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
If he wanted a "challenge", he would have joined United.
What kind of challange should that have been? Fullfilling some kind of silly hopes from fans that want a new Messias, which brings back good times to Old Trafford? ManUtd has to fix its structural problems and do good work for ~4 years first. Don´t hope for some Messias to rescue the Club. You see what happens with Pogba.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder

Patrick08

So RM is tier two after they went out before united? Wow surprising. United did beat juventus and psg in the competition.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
What kind of challange should that have been? Fullfilling some kind of silly hopes from fans that want a new Messias, which brings back good times to Old Trafford? ManUtd has to fix its structural problems and do good work for ~4 years first. Don´t hope for some Messias to rescue the Club. You see what happens with Pogba.
Totally agree with this, as I wrote in another post the most important thing in a club are not the players nor the coach, but the board and the sport management.
Disappointing results are almost always caused by the lack of a sound strategy

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Even last year and now, we would have and will, easily beat both of those sides.
Porto and Benfica? I dunno man. Didn't you struggle against young boys and valencia?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really, Didn't you lose to CSKA, twice?
Yeah we did. And the second time at home was a humiliation, too. We were pretty crap last season, i'm not sure we were better than Porto or Benfica

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Even last year and now, we would have and will, easily beat both of those sides.
United lost plenty of times to sides worse than Porto and Benfica. Even if 'on paper' we 'should' win both those games (and even that is debatable given our squad's outright lack of talent) our form was diabolically bad enough that we could have barely guaranteed beating anyone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah we did. And the second time at home was a humiliation, too. We were pretty crap last season, i'm not sure we were better than Porto or Benfica
Yeah, but you wouldn't say that you wouldn't be able to beat them now would you? We beat both the teams you mentioned and drew and at the time we were playing some of the most tumescent football.

United lost plenty of times to sides worse than Porto and Benfica. Even if 'on paper' we 'should' win both those games (and even that is debatable given our squad's outright lack of talent) our form was diabolically bad enough that we could have barely guaranteed beating anyone.
You're just serially overrating their squads and underrating our squad at the same time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, but you wouldn't say that you wouldn't be able to beat them now would you? We beat both the teams you mentioned and drew and at the time we were playing some of the most tumescent football.
I don't know, we'll see how good we will be this season

Did you beat Valencia btw? I thought you drew and lost pretty badly(with a chance to win the group on the line)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't know, we'll see how good we will be this season

Did you beat Valencia btw? I thought you drew and lost pretty badly(with a chance to win the group on the line)
Ah yes, sorry, my bad. Saw an older result.

I would just take last year as the exception, rather than the rule. People can't seem to make up their mind, whether Mourinho was the problem or the personnel. We're adding to the squad now, have a new style and also shown how we can play under Ole in that purple patch.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
You're just serially overrating their squads and underrating our squad at the same time.
In a wider sense it goes without saying that we are on a much higher tier than either of the two Portugal clubs.

However, I'm surprised at your sureness of our ability to win matches in a season where our form was so poor that we were dropping points against sides like Brighton, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Burnley, Huddersfield and Cardiff while being also being soundly beaten by teams including Wolves and Everton.

I'm certainly not saying that we would have therefore definitively lost games to Porto and Benfica but for you to dismiss the notion so freely is strange given the context.

As for this coming season I don't believe, as you do, that our recruitment has been at all special nor do I think there is evidence that Solskjaer has shown signs of a developing a positive new team identity or style.

In terms of this coming season maybe we will be comprehensively beating the likes of Porto (and Southampton too for that matter) but as of right now I don't think we can say this will happen with any degree of certainty given the misery of the last few years.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
In a wider sense it goes without we are on a much higher tier than either of the two Portugal clubs.

However, I'm surprised at your sureness of our ability to win matches in a season where our form was so poor that we were dropping points against sides like Brighton, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Burnley, Huddersfield and Cardiff while being also being soundly beaten by teams including Wolves and Everton.

I'm certainly not saying that we would have therefore definitively lost games to Porto and Benfica but for you to dismiss the notion so freely is strange given the context.

As for this coming season I don't believe, as you do, that our recruitment has been at all special nor do I think there is evidence that Solskjaer has shown signs of a developing a positive new team identity or style.

In terms of this coming season maybe we will be comprehensively beating the likes of Porto (and Southampton too for that matter) but as of right now I don't think we can say this will happen with any degree of certainty given the misery of the last few years.
Fair enough, can not argue with you seeing another perspective of the same thing and you have your reasons for it. Likewise, I have mine.

I just think the likes of Benfica and Porto are no where near the level of us. I’d say Arsenal would beat them easily as well.

SinNombre

Ronaldo left United to join RM since he wanted to revive a fallen giant. Cantona left the reigning champions to join United. Countless examples.

That's what the greatest players do, aim for a challenge.

Learn your football history first.

To look only at the last season doesn´t give you a good result. Just take the UEFA 5-year Club Ranking*

* 5. Juve; 17. ManUtd
https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/trank2019.html

5 years back, Liverpool were finishing 7th in the league. It is an eternity, no one cares.

If you want to look at UEFA coefficients, last 3 years are much more indicative.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/trank2021.html

United are 8th here which is more reflective of their current strength.

As much as you hate it,
Spurs did beat Ajax in the CL
United did beat Ajax in the Europa.

Deal with facts.

So much for luck for teams you don't like. I am guessing in your mental world, Spurs were also lucky when they thrashed BvB, or when United beat Juve in Turin.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
So much for luck for teams you don't like. I am guessing in your mental world, Spurs were also lucky when they thrashed BvB, or when United beat Juve in Turin.

ahem :cool: yes United was not just lucky, but extremely lucky to get out of Turin with that win, but I guess you must have just watched the result and not the game :D

Halftrack

If you knew absolutely nothing about football and got presented with a sheet with the final standings in the different competitions, but didn't quite understand everything so you had to guess a bunch, the tiers would probably look a lot like what you just coughed up.

RedorDead21

If you knew absolutely nothing about football and got presented with a sheet with the final standings in the different competitions, but didn't quite understand everything so you had to guess a bunch, the tiers would probably look a lot like what you just coughed up.
Indeed but repeating this in 2 seasons and everything will be jumbled up again. Things can change quickly. Liverpool for example. It's perhaps not likely but we can jump up a few tiers in 2 seasons if we ever get our act together. Young world class players need to be looking further ahead than next seasons likely CL finalists.

el3mel

- Matthijs de Ligt is a new Juventus player: it will become official soon, contract have been signed! ✍
- The Dutch CB will arrive tomorrow night in Torino and he’ll have medicals on Wednesday
- He’ll be paid €75M (add ons included) to Ajax and so he’ll become the most expensive centre back ever in Italy: what a deal!
- De Ligt will sign a contract until June 2024 with Juventus, totally agreed 3 weeks ago
Fabrizio Romano talking about how much Juve paid for him and length of contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.