Matthijs de Ligt

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
been wondering when this would rear its head again - next up Frenkie de Jong!

Irwin99

It was definitely strange if(!) he truly was completely fit. De Ligt's passing isn't spectacular, but we are comparing him to Dier and not prime Hummels...
Do you think EtH would want him here at United? You mention his passing isn't spectacular but neither is Varane's (although I feel he gets way too much criticism for this as he's pretty comfortable most of the time). I think I recall people saying De Ligt isn't particularly quick either.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Do you think EtH would want him here at United? You mention his passing isn't spectacular but neither is Varane's (although I feel he gets way too much criticism for this as he's pretty comfortable most of the time). I think I recall people saying De Ligt isn't particularly quick either.
De Ligt is quite fast, but not quick, if that makes any sense. He is a big guy and it takes him time to get up to speed.
And it is not that his passing is bad. It is simply more on the safe side and Tuchel is looking for CBs that play more vertical.

Oranges038

I can only imagine the meltdown from the ETH outers if Utd were to sign De Ligt and De Jong this summer.

Irwin99

De Ligt is quite fast, but not quick, if that makes any sense. He is a big guy and it takes him time to get up to speed.
And it is not that his passing is bad. It is simply more on the safe side and Tuchel is looking for CBs that play more vertical.
Sooooo....like Maguire :nervous:

Irwin99

I can only imagine the meltdown from the ETH outers if Utd were to sign De Ligt and De Jong this summer.
I honestly haven't seen much of De Ligt and all i know is that he was once considered one of the best centre back prospects of his generation before his big moves (the Dutch are producing rather a lot of very good defenders lately i've noticed) but De Jong would be an interesting buy if he could adapt to the league and he had a clear role in the team.

Oranges038

I honestly haven't seen much of De Ligt and all i know is that he was once considered one of the best centre back prospects of his generation before his big moves (the Dutch are producing rather a lot of very good defenders lately i've noticed) but De Jong would be an interesting buy if he could adapt to the league and he had a clear role in the team.
to be fair they were probably the 2 best in that Ajax team

I’d happily take them both
De Ligt's stock seems like it has gone down quite a bit since he left Ajax. Haven't seen a lot of him recently to judge. De Jong is a no brainer if he's available for a decent fee and wages.

2 more ex Ajax, Eredivisie & ETH players though, there's some people on here whose heads might explode at the thoughts of it.

UpWithRivers

De Ligt's stock seems like it has gone down quite a bit since he left Ajax. Haven't seen a lot of him recently to judge. De Jong is a no brainer if he's available for a decent fee and wages.

2 more ex Ajax, Eredivisie & ETH players though, there's some people on here whose heads might explode at the thoughts of it.
Bayern fans like him, Juve fans like him. Just Tuchel prefers Kim and Upamecano

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Tuchel preferred Eric Dier to him over the weekend. Don't know if that says more about De Ligt or Tuchel.

Personally still think he's a really good defender, just being outcast by Tuchel for some reason.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wasnt he in the team of the season for the BuLi last year? Tuchel is such a weirdo.

didz

Wasnt he in the team of the season for the BuLi last year? Tuchel is such a weirdo.
About a month ago, Jonny Evans was preferred to Raphael Varane. Managers are just a peculiar bunch.

lex talionis

When I saw Dier playing for Bayern the other day it was a massive WTF moment. I understand United's standards have fallen but it's hard to believe Bayern would stoop so low as to have Dier on their squad. I'd have Lindelof over Dier without a moment's hesitation.

Rossa

Per Mertesaker next to Tony Adams, Carragher auxillary RB and, naturally, Lindelof left back.
That would be epic. Have a prime Ronaldo, Mbappe and Henry have a go at them.

Antony would still swivel and turn back.

Lindelof is a funny one - he doesn’t look that slow, but when running against others in a foot race you realise that he might just be slower than Maguire.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That would be epic. Have a prime Ronaldo, Mbappe and Henry have a go at them.

Antony would still swivel and turn back.

Lindelof is a funny one - he doesn’t look that slow, but when running against others in a foot race you realise that he might just be slower than Maguire.
No. Lindeloff is definitely quicker than Maguire.

foolsgold

Key question remains, is his dad still fat or has he slimmed down?

We can’t be taking a chance if his father is still chonky.

Rossa

No. Lindeloff is definitely quicker than Maguire.
Still slow as feck though, and more often than Maguire he's seen chasing an attacker only to fall further behind every time. If Maguire at least is able to make contact with the attacker, he has a chance. Lindelof is brushed aside by Martin Ødegaard - which is only fair as Ødegaard is Norwegian, and Lindelöf is Swedish, so there's a natural power discrepancy there.

Rossa

Key question remains, is his dad still fat or has he slimmed down?

We can’t be taking a chance if his father is still chonky.
Well, I mean, a man's hair is to be judged by their mother's father, so perhaps we should look into the entire family tree for chonky people? Especially on the mother's side. His father may not even be his father, so it may well turn out either a dead end or a Darth Vader moment, and remember that Darth Vader is actually a Dutch translation of Father, so really, there's a pretty fair chance this may well be the case. Of course, he was lacking three limbs, so that's a concern, and he had massive anger issues as well.

soapythecat

I’d be surprised if we went in for him. Expensive, high wages and questionable attributes (speed and passing) for the way ETH wants us to play now.
I’d be pretty gutted if we blew a load of budget on him.