Maurizio Sarri's Sack Watch | And Now Our Watch Has Ended

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
This Sarri and Baldy comparison is just lazy. When analyzing the thirds, Man City were fine in the middle and final thirds but horrible in the first third. Bravo was a disaster in all areas and couldn't save a shot unless it was hit straight at his body, Clichy and Zabaleta might as well have not existed because they were free tickets to attack the wide areas.

None of the thirds are functioning well for Chelsea and most of it is self inflicted. The midfield is a mess because Sarri is obsessed with a regista (reminds me of the Wenger 'genius' of playing Xhaka as a no.6). The final third is a mess because of the insistence of recycling possession for the sake of it meaning you have to face a packed defence all game. The only one that can traverse a packed defense is Hazard, Kante is certainly not gonna do it. The only place Sarri gets a pass is defence. The Luiz and Alonso combo can kill any team.

Baldy also plays a myriad of formations. 3 at the back (with 3 defenders and sometimes Fernandinho in defence), traditional 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond.
If I were to compare the two I would say Pep Guardiola is more like Johan Cruijff and Sarri is more like Louis vna Gaal, the two major proponents of Positional Play.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I’m genuinely shocked he’s still there.

crossy1686

career ending
Can people stop pretending as if he isn't been backed by Chelsea? The board got him Higuain and Jorginho two of his major parts of the Napoli team. Gave him the most expensive goalkeeper in the world. Got Kovacic on loan. Their transfer work was admired here.

His sheer refusal to play ChO is astounding though, the bloke outperformed Sancho at U17WC and he's sitting on the bench.
Bang on. They got him everyone he wanted and he's still failing because he's just a shit manager who needs every player he had at Napoli to actually challenge.

I also keep hearing about how the Italian league has the best tacticians in the world but how can someone be a great tactician if they only have one plan?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
His approach is why you brought him in at huge cost. Why should you now demand big changes? This is what Guardiola was saying last week.
There are some at Chelsea that think they can flick a switch and suddenly start playing Barcelona football. Both Man City and Liverpool have gone through serious dips in form before arriving where they are. Gary Neville also said the same. Imo if you sack him, it would prove your club is run a lot worse than ours.
By big changes I mean at least some changes! When team sheet came out last night immediately thought we'd get comfortably beaten. Agree with you, mainly though.

Would Guardiola play Kante like Sarri is? Would Kante get in the City or Barcelona team? No chance of us playing like Barcelona with the current setup, ever imo. Midfield is very wrong.

I would prefer us to be patient with 4 3 3 possession based game, hard though when we've been heavily beaten so many times recently without creating anything, just woeful performances. If we were creating chances or it looked like progress was being made I could understand giving patience.

As it is, Sarri has the two games to show if he has any ideas to improve performances or likely get the chop. Agree with the club on that. Neville is a cretin unfortunately, he knows all about getting beaten 7 0 and after his support for Mourinho surprised Utd fans still listening to him as well.

Stupid thing is we actually played well against Malmo away for 60 minutes with changes. Then he just went back to type yesterday. Madness.

Kag

Sarri’s Chelsea have clear issues and he’ll be lucky to see out the season, but if the idea was to bring in a coach to completely reform their football model in terms of aesthetics, then there’s a part of you that thinks they should attempt to see it through, for better or worse. Of course, a dud is a dud and Chelsea need to come to that conclusion. I’m undecided on that one - but then I don’t watch Chelsea every week (thankfully).

Abramovich’s obsession with an attractive playing style has been well documented but there’s never been any real commitment to making sure this happens. All of the managers have been sacked and then replaced with more pragmatic options. Funnily enough, these pragmatic options have always worked for them.

Chelsea’s recruitment has also been shambolic. I mean, ours comes in for some criticism, but Chelsea have signed some real stinkers. Zappacosta and Emerson? Bakayoko and Drinkwater? Morata? The money they’ve wasted is quite something. Then there’s the likes of Kovacic. The sort of player intelligent thinkers like to claim to be genuis in spite of being the sort of central midfielder that does the grand sum of nothing - apart from look nice with the ball.

Sarri is doing a shit job but Chelsea have a real headache with regards their squad and recruitment. Especially when you consider the likelihood of Hazard leaving in the summer.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Bang on. They got him everyone he wanted and he's still failing because he's just a shit manager who needs every player he had at Napoli to actually challenge.

I also keep hearing about how the Italian league has the best tacticians in the world but how can someone be a great tactician if they only have one plan?
Sarri was not a great tactician with Napoli, he got 6 points from 6 games in a bog standard CL group. He also binned the Europa to concentrate on Seria A which he bottled completely. That 3-0 loss to Fiorentina was something else, looked relegation standard, when they were actually 1 point behind Juve and had just gotten a huge boost from beating Juve the game before.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Someone's briefed the press from their board.

He won't see the end of the month.
So we'll get the new manager bounce when they come play us at OT?:(

crossy1686

career ending
Sarri was not a great tactician with Napoli, he got 6 points from 6 games in a bog standard CL group. He also binned the Europa to concentrate on Seria A which he bottled completely. That 3-0 loss to Fiorentina was something else, looked relegation standard, when they were actually 1 point behind Juve and had just gotten a huge boost from beating Juve the game before.
Just saw that he didn't go to the school in Coverciano like the other coaches did. He's one of the poorest managers I've ever seen manage a top side to be honest and I've seen Moyes and Van Gaal...

RedDevil@84

I don't think he would be a bad choice. At least the fans would presumably have more patience with him.
When has Chelsea hierarchy asked fans about their opinion? Jose was loved so much when he got the sack.
Don Conte was still very much loved when he got the sack.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
When has Chelsea hierarchy asked fans about their opinion? Jose was loved so much when he got the sack.
Don Conte was still very much loved when he got the sack.
I guess you have a point there, but I can't see them turning on Lampard. Plus, Lampard appears to be a pretty savvy guy, who I reckon will push the right buttons.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Lampard in please
Lampard with Jody Morris will be good for Chelsea and instantly accepted by Chelsea fans. Somebody to fecking use that goddamn academy for once.

crossy1686

career ending
Lampard with Jody Morris will be good for Chelsea and instantly accepted by Chelsea fans. Somebody to fecking use that goddamn academy for once.
Any room for a Dennis Wise caretaker? Lampard won't leave Derby just to manage Chelsea for a few months unless it's permanent.

RedDevil@84

I guess you have a point there, but I can't see them turning on Lampard. Plus, Lampard appears to be a pretty savvy guy, who I reckon will push the right buttons.
Lampard might not be a bad choice, I agree.
What Chelsea could do is borrow the United plan with Ole.
OGS was clearly told it was an interim appointment and whenever he talked in the media, it was that he was an interim one. So there is no big pressure to deliver much. Media won't be on his back and fans need not turn on him if things go south. Because he is just interim.

Giving Lampard a 3-4 year contract will be a risky prospect. The most difficult part will be to get Lampard to agree for an interim job.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Any room for a Dennis Wise caretaker? Lampard won't leave Derby just to manage Chelsea for a few months unless it's permanent.
It probably will be Zola as a caretaker with Lampard and Morris at the end of the season, if they really go for Lampard that is.

crossy1686

career ending
It probably will be Zola as a caretaker with Lampard and Morris at the end of the season, if they really go for Lampard that is.
Just said the exact same thing. Zola is an easy target and the fans will back him for the season although they'll fall like a stone down the league.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Just saw that he didn't go to the school in Coverciano like the other coaches did. He's one of the poorest managers I've ever seen manage a top side to be honest and I've seen Moyes and Van Gaal...
Napoli was his first 'big' job. He spent so long in the lower echelons of football that it's doubtful he was any good anyway. More likely that the stars aligned at Napoli and it's very difficult to get the same circumstances for him to do a good job.

0le

Surely Lampard would not leave Derby for Chelsea midway through the season because they are fighting for promotion? In my opinion, if he was going to join Chelsea, it would be at the end of the season, but never say never...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He has a set formation that he doesn't waver from and he has set subs that he brings on for other players. I think he even tells them before the game that they'll be subbed off at this exact minute and who will be subbed on, always a like for like and never wavering from the formation or plan. He did all this at Napoli also.

He's of the church that if everyone knows exactly what's going to happen, there is no surprises and no anxiety.

All in all, it's a piss poor excuse for poor management.
That's fecking crazy :lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It has to be Lampard I feel but I would not expect him to join before Summer without Derby still having something to play for.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Here's the catch : Pep was already a winner and one of the biggest managers in the world winning loads with this style in his previous 2 clubs.

Sarri is at his 60, never managed a top club before and there's absolutely no indication his style can build a title winning one.
Chelsea knew that before they signed him. If they brought him to immediately win trophies, they are stupid. As you said he's never won anything.
They brought him to revolutionise their football. You don't give up after six months. Not after a good start and not as if they're way down on the table.