g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mayweather v Pacquiao (2 May 2015) | NO requesting streams/rivers etc in this thread

Who will win ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
It's the biggest money fight ever, but I don't think it's the biggest fight ever. Louis-Schmeling and Ali-Frazier still lead in that regard. But these two are the best fighters of the generation, and still widely regarded (but not unanimously, not in my opinion either) as the two best p4p in the sport right now. It's very similar to Hagler-Leonard IMO, they were both still the best p4p, but Leonard waited until Hagler had passed his peak and slowed down enough for him to beat Hagler.
Boxing isn't as important in the sporting landscape as it was then, either.

Still, I don't know anyone who won't be trying to watch this fight.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think it's the other way around. Mayweather in his prime would have picked Pacquiao apart but after seeing Maidana rock him and give him two tough fights, Mayweather seems to have slowed down which is expected at the ripe age of 38!
This gives Paquiao a good chance who still looks as quick as ever in his recent fights vs Bradley and Algeri.
Yes, the easy conclusion to make is that Pac (as the faster/more aggressive fighter) will have been affected by age more than the defensive/skilled Mayweather, but reflexes decline as well. Pac is able to bust his balls in the gym to retain the speed of his younger days, but there is not much Mayweather can do about the neurological differences between his 38 year old self and his 28 year old self.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Boxing isn't as important in the sporting landscape as it was then, either.

Still, I don't know anyone who won't be trying to watch this fight.
Seriously? Are you in the UK? I'd be surprised if a million people watch it over here.

rednev

Seriously? Are you in the UK? I'd be surprised if a million people watch it over here.
Sky will have to sell around 1.4 million PPV buys in the UK just to break even, and bear in mind most of these buys will be watched by a group of people. And then you have the pubs/sports bars that are staying open to show it, and many of these are actually selling tickets such is the expected demand. And then you have the people who will be watching on streams.

There will easily be in excess of 4 or 5 million people watching, IMO.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Sky will have to sell around 1.4 million PPV buys in the UK just to break even, and bear in mind most of these buys will be watched by a group of people. And then you have the pubs/sports bars that are staying open to show it, and many of these are actually selling tickets such is the expected demand. And then you have the people who will be watching on streams.

One in fifteen people in the country watching a boxing match at 4.30am, involving no British boxers? Maybe I'm underestimating, but I see no chance it's a high as you're suggesting.
West Midlands :) I guess I don't know many people, haha.
Ha! I've a few friends interested in Boxing that will watch it, but people I've talked to with even a passing interest have said they won't bother cause of the time.

rednev

One in fifteen people in the country watching a boxing match at 4.30am, involving no British boxers? Maybe I'm underestimating, but I see no chance it's a high as you're suggesting.

Ha! I've a few friends interested in Boxing that will watch it, but people I've talked to with even a passing interest have said they won't bother cause of the time.
Well, Sky are expected to sell around 1.5 PPV buys (they sold 1.2 for Hatton-Mayweather) so even if that averages at only 2 people each viewing, we're looking at 3 million people watching in their living rooms. Add in those watching streams and the pubs and we probably are looking at 1-in-15 at the minimum.

Unless Sky have seriously overestimated the pull of this fight, which I doubt.

roykeane19

Which heavyweight fights are you thinking of?

Most heavyweight fights today are boring slug fests where the fighters spend most of the bout hugging each other to catch their breaths. There was a period around the 90s when the top heavyweight fights were something to watch, but bear in mind that this was an exceptional period of explosive and gifted fighters who also happened to be roided up on steroids. The heavyweight division today is atrocious and the fighters are not half a gifted as Tyson, Lewis etc. And on your point about heavyweights always been up to fight each other, if anything the opposite is true. The Klitchko brothers have spent the last few years dodging fights, and the division has always been about politics. In contrast, the lower weight divisions are full of fighters who bust their balls to be competitive, moving up and down weight divisions to fight the best fighters. And the fact that KOs are less frequent makes for a better spectacle, IMO....and it's not like we're talking about bantamweights who never knock each other out, we're talking about two welterweights who are each capable of knocking each other out.

The speed, skill and endurance that we will witness in this fight is not something that you will ever see in a heavyweight match up.
I wasnt talking about heavyweights these days, I mentioned "heavyweights back in the day" , its sad lack of quality in heavyweight division which usually draws more crowds due to crowd expecting KO`s, and other factors too ofc

But I dont think the fight between these 2 should be worth that disproportionate amount of money, as this fight should have happened a long time ago, I know its "biggest fight of all time", but talentwise compared to the great fighters of the past , I don think these 2 really are up there in my opinion, to warrant their match as biggest of all time, if you get my gist

It's the biggest money fight ever, but I don't think it's the biggest fight ever. Louis-Schmeling and Ali-Frazier still lead in that regard. But these two are the best fighters of the generation, and still widely regarded (but not unanimously, not in my opinion either) as the two best p4p in the sport right now. It's very similar to Hagler-Leonard IMO, they were both still the best p4p, but Leonard waited until Hagler had passed his peak and slowed down enough for him to beat Hagler.
Exactly, thats what I kind of meant in my post, but didnt explain properly, yeah I actually fully agree with that

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Cant believe the money in this, and being called the biggest fight in boxing history. When Pac man is past his prime for last 2 years, and Mayweathers style is great in that age doesnt play much of a part in it

Plus the greateast fights where back in the days of the great Heavyweights, who would fight best fighters as soon as possible, these 2 dont even have really much KO power

Being way too overhyped, its sad state of sport tbh, in my opinion
Pacquiao's prime is behind him but he is still electric and very exciting to watch. When he was stopping Cotto and Oscar DLH nobody was questioning his power, many (rightly) labelled him as one of the greatest P4P. Recently he hasn't stopped anyone but he has been fighting boxers with fantastic chins and boxers that have never been stopped before (Rios, Bradley, Marquez and Algieri). I think rumours of the demise of Pacquiao's power may be exaggerated.

Mayweather is one of the greatest defensive boxers in the history of the sport, no question. Pacquiao is one of the greatest offensive boxers in the history of the sport, it's a wonderful fight, one of the top 5 biggest fights of all time in my opinion. Get excited about it man!

Kazi

I think Sky will do similar numbers to Hatton-Mayweather, maybe a bit more. How much did they pay for exclusive rights for this?

roykeane19

Pacquiao's prime is behind him but he is still electric and very exciting to watch. When he was stopping Cotto and Oscar DLH nobody was questioning his power, many (rightly) labelled him as one of the greatest P4P. Recently he hasn't stopped anyone but he has been fighting boxers with fantastic chins and boxers that have never been stopped before (Rios, Bradley, Marquez and Algieri). I think rumours of the demise of Pacquiao's power may be exaggerated.

Mayweather is one of the greatest defensive boxers in the history of the sport, no question. Pacquiao is one of the greatest offensive boxers in the history of the sport, it's a wonderful fight, one of the top 5 biggest fights of all time in my opinion. Get excited about it man!
Dont worry, Ive had date carved in my mind for a long time now, and hopefully I intend to watch the fight, would be interesting for the inevitable loser, if they`ll have a rematch, Thrilla in Manilla haha

Zen

Not in Britain there won't be. Good lord man. Talk about overselling it on every aspect. It'll probably do less than Hatton-Mayweather given streaming is far superior now and that as you put it, pubs have cottoned onto Boxing being a good reason to stay open later.....though good luck with getting people in if they are charging....given they won't exactly be packed many of them.

Oh and forget the fact that Hattonmania destroys all.

T_Model101

I am considering going out to watch this. But Belushi's in Camden are charging £20 for entry, i know they have to extend the license...but that's the cost of the PPV!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I am considering going out to watch this. But Belushi's in Camden are charging £20 for entry, i know they have to extend the license...but that's the cost of the PPV!
Cheaper to get some mates around, split the cost of the PPV and snag some cheap drinks from a supermarket. It's what we're doing :)

rednev

Not in Britain there won't be. Good lord man. Talk about overselling it on every aspect. It'll probably do less than Hatton-Mayweather given streaming is far superior now and that as you put it, pubs have cottoned onto Boxing being a good reason to stay open later.....though good luck with getting people in if they are charging....given they won't exactly be packed many of them.

Oh and forget the fact that Hattonmania destroys all.
Even if Sky have overestimated the fight's potential and sell just 1 million PPV units, just think how many people that equates to.

If we say 10% of PPV buys are house parties that will average 10 viewers per household, 50% are smaller gathering that average 5 viewers, and the remaining 40% of buys average 2 viewers...that equates to 4.3 million people watching on Sky Box Office.

Add in the streamers and the bars and I think 5 million could be a conservative estimate.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
10% of ppv buys being viewed by 10 people?

50% by 5 people?

Where the hell are you getting those figures from? I'd estimate 80% are one person watching on their laptop in bed with the sound off so they don't disturb the missus.

rednev

10% of ppv buys being viewed by 10 people?

50% by 5 people?

Where the hell are you getting those figures from? I'd estimate 80% are one person watching on their laptop in bed with the sound off so they don't disturb the missus.
Obviously I'm estimating the breakdown of TV buys....not including stream viewers.

Do you think the average viewer per PPV buy will be less than my estimation of 4.3?

Not many people will be paying £20 to watch it on their own. In my experience of PPV boxing matches, people almost always invite friends round to watch, and large PPV parties are very common. I had about 15 friends over at mine for Froch vs Groves 2, and most of the people I know who will be watching this fight will be doing so at PPV parties which will likely consist of 8 or more people.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I think they will get the numbers they want, this isn't your average fight it the big one we have all been waiting for and the few people i know who usually stream the fights are ordering this one and so will i just to watch it uninterrupted on tv.

Kazi

I'll probably be paying £20 to watch it on my own, but that's cause I'm sad as feck.

I think 1m PPV buys would equate to somewhere between 2-3 million viewers. I think 5 million viewers at 4.30am in a country with the population of 64 million is probably hard to imagine, for a boxing match.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Shosports TV campaign has begun.

Inside Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Episode 1 (24 mins)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Everyone going on about pubs being open later for this fight but I don't know anywhere in Manchester/Salford which is staying open. Anyone have any idea's for me?
Shooters in the Bierkeller, in printworks. Probably the best place to watch it.

Zen

Obviously I'm estimating the breakdown of TV buys....not including stream viewers.

Do you think the average viewer per PPV buy will be less than my estimation of 4.3?

Not many people will be paying £20 to watch it on their own. In my experience of PPV boxing matches, people almost always invite friends round to watch, and large PPV parties are very common. I had about 15 friends over at mine for Froch vs Groves 2, and most of the people I know who will be watching this fight will be doing so at PPV parties which will likely consist of 8 or more people.
....Actually, that's the biggest market for PPV buys. For every houseparty of 10+ watching it in a town, theres probably twice as many people buying just for themselves and whoever stays up with them in their house.

For a million buys, I think you are looking, and I'm being epically kind, 2.5m total viewers at a max. Give or take what you'd get for peak Hatton at this time.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I'll be watching in a Filipino household so the Pac man better win. Expect there'll be 30-40 Filipinos there that night, with me and maybe one or two others tagging along. ;)

Dante

Average bang
I really want Pac to win, but can't see past Mayweather on points.

After the match, Floyd will retire. Then he'll make a come back for the rematch in a year's time. Then he'll win that too.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
HBO documentary on it (favouring Pacquiao) is on Sky Sports 1 for an hour now.

Kazi

Was much better than the Showtime program. HBO just know how to hit all the right notes when it comes to this sort of stuff.