Mbappe is on a 630m contract

Pronewbie

Peep
Like someone said, wealth redistribution is better than having the leeches at United and Liverpool suck and prey on the community. Not that I think either are healthy for the game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
FFP is essentially like the bank who gives out loans.

Club with limited funds but ambitious - loan accepted but you can only spend what you make and we will monitor you strictly

State/Oil club - go wild you crazy bitches, you have collateral and can pay off any debt
In essence, its not Financial Fair Play, its Financial Stability, to ensure clubs don't go bankrupt.

Exactly. They are praised for how cheap Haaland was and recently it was revealed he was earning £900k a week and nothing has been said about it. Klopp says no one can compete with City’s spending and he almost had to come out to apologise and make excuses he was misquoted. Why does City get so much protection in the media?
Aye, thought that was absolutely mental, he had to backtrack so quickly because the media were painting him as xenophobic.
Clearly plenty of people in media on the payroll.

RoyH1

But I was told he chose to stay because of the project and other clubs were offering him the same terms? :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Doesn't revenue sharing (your recommendation) reduce top player compensation then?

If competitiveness of a league is not a concern then this thread is moot. But if the goal is for Reims to compete with PSG, player compensation is one of the many factors that need to be considered.

Analog to evil American sports: LeBron is easily worth a billion dollars a year in a non restricted league (or at least he was a few years ago). He doesn't get paid that and the league is better off for it.
Yeah but isn't the entire goal of American sports to funnel as money as possible into the billionaire owners pockets?

Skills

Snitch
it’s not quite that simple though is it, it’s not just “curtailing” the players earning potential other clubs have to “try” to compete with this. So the working class fans end up Paying more and more and more for tickets, forthe sports subscription etc.

They will be playing 1 player more in 1 year than we have spent on players in 3-4 years, they haven’t won a champions league.

We are in a cost of living crisis people won’t be able to afford to go soon and more and more people I know are getting fire sticks etc.

To be honest hearing stuff like this just starts to put me off football all together.
Half of that will be going to the tax man.

None of the money we spend on transfers goes to the tax man.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Half of that will be going to the tax man.

None of the money we spend on transfers goes to the tax man.
what does that have to do with the price of cheese, they are spending more on 1 persons wages than united have spent on players in 2-3 years it’s genuinely obscene.

genuinely makes you wonder how much city are paying under the table.

Skills

Snitch
We had a similar thread earlier, players earning what they do in football is far from a problem.

The biggest problem in football is the talent being boarded at the top. This is what needs to be stopped. Footballs actually quite lucky because the talent is so massive, but the problem becomes when players who should be starting matches elsewhere are wasting their careers on the bench for the sake of depth. Stop that, and there will be more than enough talent going around and automatically you'll see more upsets.

I think my idea was a hard limit on the number of senior players a clubs allowed to hold in total including the players they've loaned out. No buy back clauses.

kthanksbye

We had a similar thread earlier, players earning what they do in football is far from a problem.

The biggest problem in football is the talent being boarded at the top. This is what needs to be stopped. Footballs actually quite lucky because the talent is so massive, but the problem becomes when players who should be starting matches elsewhere are wasting their careers on the bench for the sake of depth. Stop that, and there will be more than enough talent going around and automatically you'll see more upsets.

I think my idea was a hard limit on the number of senior players a clubs allowed to hold in total including the players they've loaned out. No buy back clauses.
Yes but how can it be addressed? If a player wants to make 100k/week on Chelsea's bench rather than make 50k/week in the Everton starting 11, he should be allowed to do that.

Skills

Snitch
Yes but how can it be addressed? If a player wants to make 100k/week on Chelsea's bench rather than make 50k/week in the Everton starting 11, he should be allowed to do that.
So my solution is a hard cap on the number of over 21 players a clubs allowed to hold on their books (that includes the ones they've loaned out). Automatically that'll diversify the pool.

Its not the perfect solution, and it'll need a good few things thinking about. But ultimately, that's the best way to stop that happening.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
it’s not quite that simple though is it, it’s not just “curtailing” the players earning potential other clubs have to “try” to compete with this. So the working class fans end up Paying more and more and more for tickets, forthe sports subscription etc.

They will be playing 1 player more in 1 year than we have spent on players in 3-4 years, they haven’t won a champions league.

We are in a cost of living crisis people won’t be able to afford to go soon and more and more people I know are getting fire sticks etc.

To be honest hearing stuff like this just starts to put me off football all together.
Ticket prices, etc, are up to the clubs. Revenue sharing doesn't mean they have to make everything more expensive.

And yes, as i said before, it would have the effect of curtailing earning power for players(well, for top tier players. There'd be more money for good ones). It is a difference of ethics. Players logically can't earn money the clubs don't have. But the clubs wouldn't have that money, as opposed to having it and keeping from the players
But it’s not psg money is it it’s psg owners money, completely different animal.

how can Reims “raise” there financial level enough to compete with an oil state pumping money into a club through dodgy sponsorships whos paying 1 player more in 1 season than the rest of the league probably spend on transfers in 3-4 years.

this was the point of ffp which is obviously completely failing
Reims would raise their financial profile by having that same Qatari money pumped into their club

And FFP was introduced to prevent owners from bankrupting their clubs, not to create parity
Not far off Messi wage at Barca?
Near 100m more in less years. It's the biggest contract in the history of sports

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah but isn't the entire goal of American sports to funnel as money as possible into the billionaire owners pockets?
I wouldn't say "the entire goal"

Yes it is a significant factor in the equation. However the players have a say in the equation as well, with varying levels of success, and splits from revenue are negotiated between two parties. Sports don't benefit if one party enjoys the spoils at the expense of other parties. In football, the benefits of players, clubs, club owners, leagues, football authorities, and fans/supporters should all be considered. It's not just about the players. Or it shouldn't.

kthanksbye

So my solution is a hard cap on the number of over 21 players a clubs allowed to hold on their books (that includes the ones they've loaned out). Automatically that'll diversify the pool.

Its not the perfect solution, and it'll need a good few things thinking about. But ultimately, that's the best way to stop that happening.
Interesting, you could be on to something here. The idea is worth considering.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

Well that’s just like uh, your opinion, man.

Really liked the movie Traingle of sadness, recent winner of the Palme d‘Or in Cannes. I’d like to imagine Mbappé and the PSG owners aboard that ship and on that beach alongside Abigail.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Who needs Ballon d’Or and CL, when he has Money d’Oil and was in every FIFA cover.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Yeah, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn't say "the entire goal"

Yes it is a significant factor in the equation. However the players have a say in the equation as well, with varying levels of success, and splits from revenue are negotiated between two parties. Sports don't benefit if one party enjoys the spoils at the expense of other parties. In football, the benefits of players, clubs, club owners, leagues, football authorities, and fans/supporters should all be considered. It's not just about the players. Or it shouldn't.
I don't understand why me as a football fan wants to create an environment where money's funnelled away from the labour (the players) into the owners.

If you really cared about the fans there are other solutions :

- Cap ticket prices (like Germany)
- Show 1 PL game a week on national TV

Both of these things can happen, and they wouldn't make much of a dent into the revenues that football clubs generate - without funnelling money away from football's labour.

cyberman

Ticket prices, etc, are up to the clubs. Revenue sharing doesn't mean they have to make everything more expensive.

And yes, as i said before, it would have the effect of curtailing earning power for players(well, for top tier players. There'd be more money for good ones). It is a difference of ethics. Players logically can't earn money the clubs don't have. But the clubs wouldn't have that money, as opposed to having it and keeping from the players

Reims would raise their financial profile by having that same Qatari money pumped into their club

And FFP was introduced to prevent owners from bankrupting their clubs, not to create parity

Near 100m more in less years. It's the biggest contract in the history of sports
But with Barcas creative accounting I’d bet any money Messi took home more

Skills

Snitch
What football does need to do more of is look after the players who didn't make it. I wouldn't be opposed to a % of a clubs revenue going towards solidarity payments for players who didn't make the cut, to look after them for a bit after they leave and help them get a career outside of the game.

RuudTom83

I wonder what City's books actually look like...would be very interesting to see the true cost of the Haaland deal, and the salaries of some of their bigger names.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG fans are shameless.
Why would I need any shame, since you all seem to carry it for all of us every time there's news about PSG (which btw, has zero to do with the fans for the people in the back of the class), and are absolute bullshit, just like this contract and most of the news about Mbappe since he had the unmitigated gall to turn down Real Madrid and stay in his hometown.

Him wanting Neymar out, him wanting to leave, him going to Real Madrid for sure, him staying, him then wanting to leave again 5 months after renewing, and some of you dummies fall for it every time. This is about on par, and I couldn't give a feck.You monkeys can keep dancing to the media's tune every week, but I'm not interested in that. I just enjoy the fake outrage and how easily most of you fall for it every time. There's some kind of definition about insanity that would be appropriate here...

Last edited:

Someone

Something
For me PSG spending 600m on one player doesn't bother as much as them spending the same amount on the squad overall. They're just throwing away their money. What really gets me in all this is that it's all about pride isn't it? I don't think PSG are convinced that he's worth all that money, no player is to be honest, but him leaving to Real Madrid wasn't something they're willing to accept.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Not far off Messi wage at Barca?
I think it's the double of what he was earning at Barcelona. :lol:

I'm not sure if this is true or what, as it seems insane but everyone knew he was offered obscene money for him to reject Real Madrid as we also pay a lot to our stars players.

As if he's worth it that much money of course he doesn't, Messi and Ronaldo weren't earning as much and as good as they were we couldn't give him (Ronaldo) more pay raises as it wasn't worth it. With Barcelona they almost go bankrupt and we're talking about two players that have more than 10 ballon d'or between the two.

RedDevil@84

It is ok. At least PSG has the money to pay him. It is not like an academy product is demanding money that does not exist at the club.

I’m loving my life

That club doesnt care. Oil has gone up in price. They can have 3 Mbappes and barely scratch the oil savings account.
Football is a microcosm of the living hell happening in society, so why shouldn’t PSG and co be allowed to desecrate the game after their owners pile misery on the rest of us

cyberman

I think it's the double of what he was earning at Barcelona. :lol:

I'm not sure if this is true or what, as it seems insane but everyone knew he was offered obscene money for him to reject Real Madrid as we also pay a lot to our stars players.

As if he's worth it that much money of course he doesn't, Messi and Ronaldo weren't earning as much and as good as they were we couldn't give him (Ronaldo) more pay raises as it wasn't worth it. With Barcelona they almost go bankrupt and we're talking about two players that have more than 10 ballon d'or between the two.
Didn’t Messi work out at over 1m per week?