Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Explain to me what Dembele has done with his career to be rated higher than Rashford the man is drawing at the top level. Sane is a great talent but Mbappe, Martial and Rashford are your elite, the rest still need a lot of work and are nowhere near as mature as these three. Rose tint me if you want.
Dembélé was the best player in the BL. He had his problems in Barca in his first year due to being a spoilt brat, but has been great for a few months now. So that's like what, 1,5 years out of 2,5 where he is playing at the level Rashford is doing currently? Sané has also only been truly bad the first 6 months for City (out of those he was injured or on the bench most of the games), he was extraordinary the second half of last season and continued that form until the last 2 games or so. Rashford has been good under LVG (but nowhere near the the level those two had been showing), has stagnated under Mou the last few years and just started playing well for the last 2 months FFS...

Revan

Assumptionman
Are you dyslexic :lol:. I put 18, it’s not a United thing we’re talking about the kid that broke through at Everton and killed France in the Euro’s. Pure talent and matured attributes like Mbappe has.

I just find it funny that only the fans rave about Mbappe never his peers.
Oh well, Mbappe kind of started playing at 18. Rooney started at 16, cause physically he was ahead of most 16 years old. Talent was, it is, and has never been close.

Again, Mbappe ended 4th in Ballon d'Or voting, the rating which historically has been the most important. The highest Rooney ever finished was in 5th place (though to be fair, the top 4 back then was great, with 4 historical level players).

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
You keep goal posting this to the last two months.
Why?
Rashford ran Spain ragged, away from home, months ago for example!
Again, Rashford has been hailed as one of the top youngsters in Europe for a while now even when all the other names we've quoted have seen their form fall away.
Rashford is the only one that seems to be getting better.
Doesn't that answer your questions?
Seriously... let's just agree to disagree....

AndyJ1985

What's with the desperation to overrate all our young players? Rashford is a very good player, isn't that enough? There's no need to try and argue he's the best young player out there when he isn't.

Revan

Assumptionman
What did Rooney do to France? Zidane, Vieira, Thuram. Players like that
Rooney scored goals in group stages of Euros (and crashed in quarter finals), while Mbappe won the world cup (scoring in final) yet somehow Rooney wins that duel in your head.

Mainoldo

Rooney scored goals in group stages of Euros (and crashed in quarter finals), while Mbappe won the world cup (scoring in final) yet somehow Rooney wins that duel in your head.
Rooney got injured and it was over. I doubt we could say the same with Mbappe considering he wasn’t the reason the team was strong. He played his part but like I said earlier let’s not rate his World Cup title like he drove a team on like R9 for Brazil or Maradon for Argentina. He wasn’t that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Rooney got injured and it was over. I doubt we could say the same with Mbappe considering he wasn’t the reason the team was strong. He played his part but like I said earlier let’s not rate his World Cup title like he drove a team on like R9 for Brazil or Maradon for Argentina. He wasn’t that.
No one is rating his performance like those two.

Though clearly his world cup 2018 is better than Rooney's Euro 2004. Which also happened to be the only good (with the others being pure shit) international tournaments Rooney had.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How do you know he’s not ballon d’or material?
By watching him play. I've never seen Ballon d'or potential in Rashford, ever.

He's a very talented young striker, but he's not at that level. I could be entirely wrong and it's all about opinions, but that's just what I see.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

He's a very talented young striker, but he's not at that level. I could be entirely wrong and it's all about opinions, but that's just what I see.
I don't know if he will be that good, but "people say" he is a better player now than CR7 was at the same age. Take that any way you like...

Mainoldo

I think your skewing your argument on the fact that you expect there to be a player or players out there that can replicate Messi and Ronaldo. It’s not going to happen. Ballon d’or history has proved to select the best player for that year. This year was the first time we’ve got a brief look at things minus the two exceptions and it went to Modric. With that in mind it would be very naive to assume Rashford will never reach that level. It’s not even a bloody yard stick to judge talent when you look at all the players who haven’t won it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think your skewing your argument on the fact that you expect there to be a player or players out there that can replicate Messi and Ronaldo. It’s not going to happen. Ballon d’or history has proved to select the best player for that year. This year was the first time we’ve got a brief look at things minus the two exceptions and it went to Modric. With that in mind it would be very naive to assume Rashford will never reach that level. It’s not even a bloody yard stick to judge talent when you look at all the players who haven’t won it.
I'm not just thinking of Messi or Ronaldo. I view someone like Mbappe as having the potential to fight the Ballon d'or, but I don't see that same potential in Rashford. Why would it be naive to think he could never reach the potential of Modric? At his peak he was the best CM in the world and crucial to multiple Champions League wins, he was an incredible midfielder. Rashford would be doing very, very well to reach that level.

I think Rashford will end up as one of the better strikers in world football, but just below the tier that compete for the Ballon d'or. Again, I might be wrong and he might end up being right up there and as an England fan that would be great for us, but I don't see that when I watch him play.

Charles Miller

What did Ronaldo win when he was at that age? Naught in club level, a world cup when he played 0 minutes. Easier to be the big fish in a small pot.

Mbappe is easily in top 3 of the best young players I have seen in my lifetime (together with R9 and Messi). Hard to know how things will turn out, but I don't see any other young player who is anywhere near as good as him. He's a couple of levels ahead of the rest.
20 years old Ronaldo was bench for Romario.

I agree with the second bold part.

Denis79

Win or not is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Kane is considered by many one of the best strikers in the PL and he's never made it in the top 3 in the Ballon D'or. It means nothing, he's still considered one of the best. Rashford has the potential of becoming a 25-30 goals a season striker for us. If he does time will tell but if/when he does, teams will fear him just like they do Kane.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Personally, I don't think it's fair to make Rashford vs M'Bappe comparisons yet. For the past couple years Rashford has been in and out of the team and playing in a style and position that wasn't right for him. Now with Ole stearing the ship, and Rashford playing in his preferred position, we are seeing what so many of us already knew/thought he could do. The problem is it's still too soon as it's only been 10 games for him (9 starts and didnt' play vs Fulham). However, in his last 9 starts he has 6 goals, so that's showing the kind of quality he has. Let's just hope he can keep it up...

deafepl

Win or not is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Kane is considered by many one of the best strikers in the PL and he's never made it in the top 3 in the Ballon D'or. It means nothing, he's still considered one of the best. Rashford has the potential of becoming a 25-30 goals a season striker for us. If he does time will tell but if/when he does, teams will fear him just like they do Kane.
I think Rashford has more chances of winning Ballon D'Or than Kane in term of marketable, the club he plays for, his brand exposure and scoring constantly against top teams.

Being said that, I never take Ballon D'or seriously, they seem to overrate player like Modric and Mbappe ahead of Messi.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Lets not use the Ligue 1 , both played the exact same World cup games, Mbappe scored more & won France the world cup, they based their counter attacking game around him and his speed. No Mbappe no wolrd cup. Simple

Now lets use the champions league: 23 games 14 goals and 6 assists, thats being involved directly in 20 goals in 23 games.

World cup winner, better world cup stats and scary CL stats .end of story.
You're basically agreeing with me. I've dismissed league 1 stats because they're almost pointless in such debate but I've also mentioned that no one needs those stats anyways to know that Mbappe is better than Rashford.

You're really not disagreeing with me here.

Jib

Mbappé is better but it isn't impossible that Marcus close the gap between them.
Again Ousmane Dembele is the only crack in this generation of u23 attacking players.
It's him and far behind Mbappe then the rest : Martial/Sterling/Coman/Rashford/Sané/Bailey/Vicinius/Sancho/Lemar/Brandt/Davies...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some reasonably high profile French strikers who have moved one way or the other in recent years:

Giroud - goal tally halved
Lacazette - goal tally halved
Sanogo - in 5 years he didn't score a single goal in the PL
Payet - stayed roughly the same but was never an outright striker
Gouffran - less than half his Ligue 1 goal tally
Gomis - consistently halved his goal tally

And of course Ibrahimovic, who came to us after a successful spell at PSG and you guessed it, scored half the number of goals he did in France.
Sanogo, Gouffran and Gomis weren't high profile players while Giroud only had one particularly good season in Ligue 1.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mbappé is better but it isn't impossible that Marcus close the gap between them.
Again Ousmane Dembele is the only crack in this generation of u23 attacking players.
It's him and far behind Mbappe then the rest : Martial/Sterling/Coman/Rashford/Sané/Bailey/Vicinius/Sancho/Lemar/Brandt/Davies...
You have Dembele ahead of Mbappe?

Are you Dembele's mum?

Jib

You have Dembele ahead of Mbappe?

Are you Dembele's mum?
In France a LOT of people are starting to realize that Griezmann and Mbappé are vastly overrated and that the true talent are Pogba and Dembele.
In fact even Mbappé said that Dembele was the true crack. And a lot of player who played with them are saying this like Abdou Diallo ( Dortmund defender ).
But Mbappé shone in the world cup while Dembele was on the bench after a season with a lot injuries...he was out of shape but you need glasses if you think that Mbappé is more talented than Dembouz or better this season ( or the 16/17 season ).

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Actually Giroud's goals per minute stats dropped significantly the first couple of seasons until he adapted to the PL, and Lacazette's are still below his last few seasons in France.
Giroud at Montpellier:
A goal or assist every 128 minutes
in England:
A goal or assist every 110 minutes

Lacazette at Lyon (excluding 11/12 and 12/13 where he was learning his trade and playing a lot on the wing):
A goal or assist every 109 minutes
in England:
A goal or assist every 112 minutes
And Laca's L1 stats are inflated by an inordinate number of pens, he was called Penalzette for a reason.

Since Giroud and Lacazette were the only relevant examples in your list really, we can conclude that it seems overall easier to score in England, so quit your nonsense of a striker's stats being cut in half when moving from L1 to the PL, they aren't decreasing at all.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Not the best time to be blowing trumpet about Rashford being better lads :nervous:

Rashford is better than likes of Origi, Jesus and Iheanacho who were pegged better than him in the past but Mbappe is on a different level to him as a player, he just has that ruthlessness of a top top player which is not there in Rashfords' game. He's going to be a big big problem for us in the tie especially with duo of Lindelof-Jones at the back.

VanGaalEra

I said in top 3 together with R9 and Messi.

Mbappe was arguably the best striker of France, and they won the title. R9 carrying Brazil to the final? I mean, they were fecking Brazil, the current world champions, a team full of superstars. He didn't carry them to the final (where they lost).

Mbappe was better than Rooney at the same age. I never bought that Rooney was even better than Cristiano at that age, let alone R9.
Mbappe is a once in a generation talent. The fact he plays in the French league should not be something that is used to beat him with. He's performed at a World Cup and in the CL already.

JPRouve

Scout
Not the best time to be blowing trumpet about Rashford being better lads :nervous:

Rashford is better than likes of Origi, Jesus and Iheanacho who were pegged better than him in the past but Mbappe is on a different level to him as a player, he just has that ruthlessness of a top top player which is not there in Rashfords' game. He's going to be a big big problem for us in the tie especially with duo of Lindelof-Jones at the back.
I wouldn't be that worried, Mbappé is a striker and PSG are currently weak in terms of creativity. I wouldn't be surprised if Rashford has a better game.

Mainoldo

I'm not just thinking of Messi or Ronaldo. I view someone like Mbappe as having the potential to fight the Ballon d'or, but I don't see that same potential in Rashford. Why would it be naive to think he could never reach the potential of Modric? At his peak he was the best CM in the world and crucial to multiple Champions League wins, he was an incredible midfielder. Rashford would be doing very, very well to reach that level.

I think Rashford will end up as one of the better strikers in world football, but just below the tier that compete for the Ballon d'or. Again, I might be wrong and he might end up being right up there and as an England fan that would be great for us, but I don't see that when I watch him play.
So at 20 years old you forseen Modric being one of the best midfielder in world football and a ballon d’or winner?

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Nothing is impossible, it's just that currently there is no way you can rate someone like Rashford anywhere near Mbappé. Of course anything can happen within the next few years, Mbappé can disappear into irrelevancy like Pato, Quaresma, Gourcuff or countless other great talents. Currently, I'd have those tiers of forwards that are quite similar in terms of talent:
Tier 1: Mbappé
Tier 2: Dembélé/Sané/Sterling/Sancho/Vinicius (with the latter two actually having played too few games to assess, and Sterling having the "lowest" ceiling but being the most consistent player out of the bunch)
Tier 3: Rashford/Martial/Coman/(Asensio) (with Martial being probably the most talented, but most inconsistent)
Tier 4: Baily/Brandt/Jesus and the rest

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I wouldn't be that worried, Mbappé is a striker and PSG are currently weak in terms of creativity. I wouldn't be surprised if Rashford has a better game.
I hope you're right and Rashford has an incredible game but Mbappe's pace worries me a lot. It'll only take one decent pass from Di Maria/Verratti to set him free, no one in our back 4 is catching him.

So at 20 years old you forseen Modric being one of the best midfielder in world football and a ballon d’or winner?
Anyone who thought Modric would become the best midfielder in the world at age of 20-22 is chatting pure shit, even his recent Ballon d'Or win is seen as a joke considering Messi finished 5th in the voting :lol:

Jib

Nothing is impossible, it's just that currently there is no way you can rate someone like Rashford anywhere near Mbappé. Of course anything can happen within the next few years, Mbappé can disappear into irrelevancy like Pato, Quaresma, Gourcuff or countless other great talents. Currently, I'd have those tiers of forwards that are quite similar in terms of talent:
Tier 1: Mbappé
Tier 2: Dembélé/Sané/Sterling/Sancho/Vinicius (with the latter two actually having played too few games to assess, and Sterling having the "lowest" ceiling but being the most consistent player out of the bunch)
Tier 3: Rashford/Martial/Coman/(Asensio) (with Martial being probably the most talented, but most inconsistent)
Tier 4: Baily/Brandt/Jesus and the rest
Dembele is by far the most talented... you really need to watch him. This guy glide between the player, break anckle for fun, fast as the wind, good eyes fo the pass, starting to be a goal scorer too...

Mbappé dream is to be half as talented than him...

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Dembele is by far the most talented... you really need to watch him. This guy glide between the player, break anckle for fun, fast as the wind, good eyes fo the pass, starting to be a goal scorer too...

Mbappé dream is to be half as talented than him...
I did alot actually when he was still in the BL (I'm a Bayern fan). He is the best pure dribbler out of all of them, but Mbappé and Sané are both quicker and stronger than him.

Giroud at Montpellier:
A goal or assist every 128 minutes
in England:
A goal or assist every 110 minutes

Lacazette at Lyon (excluding 11/12 and 12/13 where he was learning his trade and playing a lot on the wing):
A goal or assist every 109 minutes
in England:
A goal or assist every 112 minutes
And Laca's L1 stats are inflated by an inordinate number of pens, he was called Penalzette for a reason.

Since Giroud and Lacazette were the only relevant examples in your list really, we can conclude that it seems overall easier to score in England, so quit your nonsense of a striker's stats being cut in half when moving from L1 to the PL, they aren't decreasing at all.
Nonsense is those stats. This is what they actually look like in terms of progression:

Lacazette:

Season - Goals - Minutes per goal
14/15 - 27 - 106
15/16 - 21 - 141
16/17 - 28 - 86
17/18 - 14 - 158
18/19* - 10 - 172

Giroud:

Season - Goals - Minutes per goal
10/11 - 12 - 243
11/12 - 21 - 153
12/13 - 11 - 212
13/14 - 16 - 193
14/15 - 14 - 133

I don't need to point out when they both moved to England, its quite clear. Lacazette saw his productivity literally halve and Giroud took 3 seasons to get up to the pace of the PL.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just a WC
Like what on his own? I'm pretty sure if you'd have stuck Rashford in there France would still be in with a chance.

Mbappe is a top talent. I think he's class. But he's fecking way overrated on here. It's mental.

Paxi

How do you know he’s not ballon d’or material?
Crystal ball. I remember people didn't give Ronaldo a chance and said Robben was much better player etc etc. Talent is just one component.

Fosu-Mens

I did alot actually when he was still in the BL (I'm a Bayern fan). He is the best pure dribbler out of all of them, but Mbappé and Sané are both quicker and stronger than him.
Dembele is the most "complete" player of all of them. Can pass with both feet, can shoot from range, dribble with and without space, can cross etc. What he seems to lack is not talent, it is (based on what Barca has been saying) discipline.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

No, which is why I said I could be wrong about Rashford. My point is with what I've seen from his performances I don't think that level of potential is clear with him, whereas with Mbappe it's very, very obvious. Hence why comparisons between the two right now are a bit silly because for me Mbappe is at a different level currently.

Players develop at different rates, so it's perfectly possible that at their respective primes Rashford could be better, feck knows.

Paxi

And if Rashford does? What does that say to you? Maybe that circumstances play a part in the way we view players?

Maybe had Mbappe spent past 3 years at United he'd be rated much closer to Rashford than he is right now?

JPRouve

Scout
And if Rashford does? What does that say to you? Maybe that circumstances play a part in the way we view players?

Maybe had Mbappe spent past 3 years at United he'd be rated much closer to Rashford than he is right now?
It would tell me nothing, circumstances have always play a part in the way I view players that's why I sometimes rate and don't rate players despite their output. In the case of Rashford and Mbappé, I rate both players but I have been more impressed by Mbappé who hasn't been always in the best situation for example the right wing is the worst for him but that's where he plays for PSG.

Paxi

It would tell me nothing, circumstances have always play a part in the way I view players that's why I sometimes rate and don't rate players despite their output. In the case of Rashford and Mbappé, I rate both players but I have been more impressed by Mbappé who hasn't been always in the best situation for example the right wing is the worst for him but that's where he plays for PSG.
Fair enough. I rate Mbappe too. I'd absolutely love him at United but I think we've our own wonder kid that we shouldn't write off. I mean a lot of people aren't but a lot of people don't think Rashford has what it takes to become the best - which again is fair enough but I'll just wait and see. I think he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.