Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macern

Pee pee pants
You're crazy. He was a great talent, but he was nowhere near what Mbappe was doing around the same age. Mbappe is a better passer than Rooney, a better finisher, he's quicker, more skillful, and has better vision. Also, he's actually accomplished more without being a passenger whether it's the CL or world cup where you can't use Ligue 1 against him. He's won the Ligue 1 with two different teams as well, when everyone assumes PSG wins every year.
Better passer and finisher? Did you even watch Rooney in 2003-2006? He was the best player in the EURO 2004, he reached his peak (or close to it) before turning 20, he was already world class by then. I’d say Mbappe today is around the same level as Rooney was at that age.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You're crazy. He was a great talent, but he was nowhere near what Mbappe was doing around the same age. Mbappe is a better passer than Rooney, a better finisher, he's quicker, more skillful, and has better vision. Also, he's actually accomplished more without being a passenger whether it's the CL or world cup where you can't use Ligue 1 against him. He's won the Ligue 1 with two different teams as well, when everyone assumes PSG wins every year.
I still stand by what I thought of Mbappe when I watched him at Monaco. He's seriously fast and can come up with nice flicks and passes now and then, but sometimes his technique just completely deserts him. He's not as good as Neymar, for example, and I'd take an 18 year old Rooney over him any day.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Better passer and finisher? Did you even watch Rooney in 2003-2006? He was the best player in the EURO 2004, he reached his peak (or close to it) before turning 20, he was already world class by then. I’d say Mbappe today is around the same level as Rooney was at that age.
I remember the Euro 2004 very well, Rooney was scary but to say he was the best player at the Euro is simply not true. The fact is, that Euro was very forgettable, Zidane outshone Rooney in the match up against England, and Greece headed their way from corners to the final. English fans get too crazy with their own players.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I still stand by what I thought of Mbappe when I watched him at Monaco. He's seriously fast and can come up with nice flicks and passes now and then, but sometimes his technique just completely deserts him. He's not as good as Neymar, for example, and I'd take an 18 year old Rooney over him any day.
As if technique was all that mattered when comparing players. If you compare Mbappe to Neymar, fair enough on the technique, but Rooney comes well short as well.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I remember the Euro 2004 very well, Rooney was scary but to say he was the best player at the Euro is simply not true. The fact is, that Euro was very forgettable, Zidane outshone Rooney in the match up against England, and Greece headed their way from corners to the final. English fans get too crazy with their own players.
Yeah, I’m not English though, but from what I can recall Rooney around those years was one of the best players in the world. Let’s leave it at that though, no point in discussing this as it can’t be proven either way. Both are or were great players who reached an incredible level at a very young age.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, I’m not English though, but from what I can recall Rooney around those years was one of the best players in the world. Let’s leave it at that though, no point in discussing this as it can’t be proven either way. Both are or were great players who reached an incredible level at a very young age.
Agreed, I loved and feared Rooney at that Euro 2004, so that says a lot for a kid who was 17-18 years old at the time.

Bojan11

Better passer and finisher. You didn’t watch Rooney when he was younger and your recent memories of him are clouding your judgment.

starman

If you reduced Mbappe pace to that of Rooney at 18-20 (who was actually pretty rapid) there was no way he is the better player. This is a classic case of people remembering Rooney at his later years but not when he was regarded as good as Messi or Ronaldo at this stage of his career.

That speed of Mbappe is a cheat, not his actual overall play

Last edited:

Macern

Pee pee pants
Cute that anyone thought this was much of a debate really.
It’s just a comparison thread. Many threads like this one will end up with one being regarded significantly higher than the other, an example being the Rashford vs Iheanacho thread. Very «cute» indeed.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
You guys need help if you think Mbappe is a better passer than Rooney was at the same age. Rooney’s vision and game knowledge were x10 what Mbappe has at this point in time. Horrible, horrible revisionism of Rooney on here.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Better passer and finisher. You didn’t watch Rooney when he was younger and your recent memories of him are clouding your judgment.
I remember both very well, Mbappe is a slightly better finisher and a better passer than Rooney, I have no doubts about that. Mbappe is also better technically and can get past his man far easily with his pace and change of direction.

RedStarUnited

I remember both very well, Mbappe is a slightly better finisher and a better passer than Rooney, I have no doubts about that. Mbappe is also better technically and can get past his man far easily with his pace and change of direction.
Out of all things to rate Mbappe for, Passing isnt one of them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Out of all things to rate Mbappe for, Passing isnt one of them.
You're wrong, when you say that I feel you haven't seen enough of him and don't know what you're talking about. Mbappe is a much better passer than you let on, I'd suggest watching more of him. His range of passing and vision is fantastic for his age. Not to take anything away from Rooney, he was great in his own right but I put Mbappe above him and I've seen plenty of both. We'll just have to disagree there.

Revan

Assumptionman
If you reduced Mbappe pace to that of Rooney at 18-20 (who was actually pretty rapid) there was no way he is the better player. This is a classic case of people remembering Rooney at his later years but not when he was regarded as good as Messi or Ronaldo at this stage of his career.

That speed of Mbappe is a cheat, not his actual overall play
If you reduce Messi's dribbling to that of Nani (pretty good dribbler), he is not even better than Robben. If you reduce Xavi's passing to that of Matic (pretty good passer on his own right), he is not even on Carrick's level.

Revan

Assumptionman
Better finisher (and much easier to get chances because of his frightening speed) and more skillfull for sure, but no way he is a better passer than Rooney was.

MrEleson

You're wrong, when you say that I feel you haven't seen enough of him and don't know what you're talking about. Mbappe is a much better passer than you let on, I'd suggest watching more of him. His range of passing and vision is fantastic for his age. Not to take anything away from Rooney, he was great in his own right but I put Mbappe above him and I've seen plenty of both. We'll just have to disagree there.
I've seen plenty of Mbappe and his passing is good on it's best day. Nothing amazing. He's very inconsistent in this regard.

RedStarUnited

The goal Mbappe score today is what Ole was talking about a few weeks ago - sniffing the goal and you are there for a tap in. Im not sure Rashford or especially Martial makes the run for that goal. Stupidly defended by Bailly but from the Mbappe perspective, what a run.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The goal Mbappe score today is what Ole was talking about a few weeks ago - sniffing the goal and you are there for a tap in. Im not sure Rashford or especially Martial makes the run for that goal. Stupidly defended by Bailly but from the Mbappe perspective, what a run.
The pass was inch-perfect, not to say Bailly is a great defender but that's difficult to deal with for any defender in the world.

RedStarUnited

The pass was inch-perfect, not to say Bailly is a great defender but that's difficult to deal with for any defender in the world.
Watch the goal again below. The pass isn't special, its well placed. Bailly deciding to stutter in his run allows the pass to go to Mbappe. If Bailly doesn't stop his run, the ball pretty much hits him.

Like I said though, all Mbappe could do is make the run and hope the ball arrives.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Watch the goal again below. The pass isn't special, its well placed. Bailly deciding to stutter in his run allows the pass to go to Mbappe. If Bailly doesn't stop his run, the ball pretty much hits him.

Like I said though, all Mbappe could do is make the run and hope the ball arrives.
I've seen the goal plenty, Mbappe makes a great run like he usually does, but that pass has to be perfect to get past Bailly's toe and on Mbappe's run. Bailly stuttered because he wasn't sure if Di Maria would go for the pass. It's ironic because I'm pretty sure the only reason Bailly started tonight was to deal with Mbappe's runs.

starman

If you reduce Messi's dribbling to that of Nani (pretty good dribbler), he is not even better than Robben. If you reduce Xavi's passing to that of Matic (pretty good passer on his own right), he is not even on Carrick's level.
Do you know the difference between a skill and physical attribute?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't seen a striker's pace cause that kind of fear in an opposition defence in a while. He makes Salah look cumbersome.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Better than Nedved? Deco? Ricardo Carvalho? Maniche? Nah.

At Euro 2004 I mean.

iHicksy

Sorry, i'm gonna have to stop posting. There's little point with this level of delusion. Better passer, vision and finisher than Rooney, now i've heard it all.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Sorry, i'm gonna have to stop posting. There's little point with this level of delusion. Better passer, vision and finisher than Rooney, now i've heard it all.
Fortunately we have statistics to sort of make any debate irrelevant. Another classic case of overrating your memories of a player to downplay the stats and performance of a current young one.

Either way, this thread is about Rashford vs Mbappe (for whatever reason), so I guess we've both derailed it far enough although that thread's legitimacy has been pretty much questioned by everyone here.

@Sayros is having a mare with his revisionism of Rooney
I'm sure the man with 'Rooney' in his name is the most objective source on my revisionism of Rooney. :rolleyes:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Can we add Vinicius to this discussion? He's 18 months younger than Mbappe, so I have to wonder where he might be at the same age.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rooney was one of the best teenagers I have ever seen, but honestly, Mbappe might be better. He is certainly more effective.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mbappe might have won the Battle of Old Trafford but Rashford won the war.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been thinking about this a lot of late. Don’t think there’s as much in it as was previously made out.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There's a bump I never thought I'd see.

Status
Not open for further replies.