Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Ah the mythical PL again.

Mbappe would be the best player in the Prem. He'd destroy the league.
We love to overrate one of our own players, this thread still pales to the 'Would you rather have Martial or Messi?' thread which received overwhelming response in favor of Frenchmen.

Mbappe has one thing which separates the good from the great, he possesses the elite footballing IQ. The same can't be said for Rashford.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We love to overrate one of our own players, this thread still pales to the 'Would you rather have Martial or Messi?' thread which received overwhelming response in favor of Frenchmen.

Mbappe has one thing which separates the good from the great, he possesses the elite footballing IQ. The same can't be said for Rashford.
And his drivee is almost obnoxious, at the moment he is upset because Tuchel wants to keep him fresh and substutes him at the end of games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Not on this place. You would never think Redcafe was supposed to be a collection of Manchester United fans reading here. In fact, you only need to go back a few pages in this thread to see that Rashford has earned this new conversation, it was not always the way. In fact, there was another thread comparing the two which I believe was locked on the grounds of ridiculousness.

Eddy_JukeZ

When did that happen? :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Not on this place. You would never think Redcafe was supposed to be a collection of Manchester United fans reading here. In fact, you only need to go back a few pages in this thread to see that Rashford has earned this new conversation, it was not always the way. In fact, there was another thread comparing the two which I believe was locked on the grounds of ridiculousness.
It swings towards both extreme, depending upon players form. Rashford goes from a championship player to Mbappe level player in space of few weeks. Perception changes quick but a good run of form skews it to the higher end.

When did that happen? :lol:
At the end of Martials' debut season. You can read it here

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/would-you-swap-martial-for-messi.418648/

flappyjay

I can understand saying Rashford 8s not good as Mbappe, which I agree with. Then what the feck is this business about Rashford not tearing league 1 a new arse, that's pure bullshit. Take Rashford to lyon and pair him with Memphis they would produce crazy numbers.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Has Rashford improved drastically this season?
I have watched him maybe 15-20 times in his career and he never looked anything special, just doing fine at a young age.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I can understand saying Rashford 8s not good as Mbappe, which I agree with. Then what the feck is this business about Rashford not tearing league 1 a new arse, that's pure bullshit. Take Rashford to lyon and pair him with Memphis they would produce crazy numbers.
There's no guarantees he would. Rashford is not someone who produces no matter the conditions, he doesn't have that kind of ability so far. He was poor and getting absolutely torn to shreds in here when Martial was injured and he was the only source of hope. It's only a recent patch of form that's got people excited by him now, but in the beginning of the season, no one was seriously looking at Rashford as a top 5 scorer in the PL.

cyberman

I have watched him maybe 15-20 times in his career and he never looked anything special, just doing fine at a young age.
Yep. Strong, tall, fast, really direct and an eye for goal.
People keep mentioning other players but he really reminds me of a young Bale just before he went to Madrid.
He scores v crap sides and the best sides, if he played for Liverpool we would be talking about a Balon Dor top 3 season with their results and if Messi didnt exist.

Righteous Steps

Yep. Strong, tall, fast, really direct and an eye for goal.
People keep mentioning other players but he really reminds me of a young Bale just before he went to Madrid.
He scores v crap sides and the best sides, if he played for Liverpool we would be talking about a Balon Dor top 3 season with their results and if Messi didnt exist.
Neither Salah or Mane made top 3 though, with better stats as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His technique has improved, he can beat players from a standing start - apart from Pogba, I don't think there are other players in our team capable of that. He's timing his runs really well and loads of commentators are at pains to explain that he's making great runs throughout games without his teammates picking up on it. There was a period where he was clearly trying too hard and shooting from crazy positions and angles, but he's pretty much our most dangerous player and he's presumably been playing for months on end with ankle problems and a back injury. He's definitely special. Not Mbappe special, but Mbappe is the heir to the throne.

Brightonian

What a daft thread. Rashford was getting nigh on unstoppable for us before his injury, a delight to watch and an incredible asset to have. How should we enjoy this good fortune? By comparing him to the one young striker who is definitely better than him! That'll be fun for everyone and definitely engender positive, worthwhile discussion.

Of course the thread was originally created in 2017, but the principle still applies to whoever keeps thinking it's a good idea to bring it back.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t watch PSG other than the odd CL match so can’t really comment on Mbappe, but I do think that Rashford is one of the biggest talents in the PL, so if he keeps developing and you as a club get your act together, you could have one the best forwards in the world.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What a daft thread. Rashford was getting nigh on unstoppable for us before his injury, a delight to watch and an incredible asset to have. How should we enjoy this good fortune? By comparing him to the one young striker who is definitely better than him! That'll be fun for everyone and definitely engender positive, worthwhile discussion.

Of course the thread was originally created in 2017, but the principle still applies to whoever keeps thinking it's a good idea to bring it back.
Okay sir.

Righteous Steps

This year they should.
I also think Marcus was better than those two until he was injured, he was in that gokd of form.
They’ve made the same amount of appearances same goals, Salah has two more assists, and both have a couple of players who have outscored them, Aguero and Vardy.

That is not Ballon d’or worthy from, as of yet.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
An important but continually overlooked important aspect to a player.

Id love to hear about a top player who doesn't have this rather than just great physical skills. Players like Pirlo, Bergkamp, Messi, and many other of the world s greats posses the ability to in essence almost coach themselves. They know where to be, they seem to be able to feel and understand the flow of games rather than trying to keep running at a wall like a feckin donkey and hope they eventually get through.

A physically gifted player without a solid footie brain behind it will never be a consistently top player that can make the whole team play better. Having said that - I think Marcos hasn't reached his full potential yet. He is already miles better in his decision making than a few seasons ago and he is still young. Not to mention he seems to listen.

cyberman

They’ve made the same amount of appearances same goals, Salah has two more assists, and both have a couple of players who have outscored them, Aguero and Vardy.

That is not Ballon d’or worthy from, as of yet.
Messi has ruined you buddy.

JPRouve

Scout
An important but continually overlooked important aspect to a player.

Id love to hear about a top player who doesn't have this rather than just great physical skills. Players like Pirlo, Bergkamp, Messi, and many other of the world s greats posses the ability to in essence almost coach themselves. They know where to be, they seem to be able to feel and understand the flow of games rather than trying to keep running at a wall like a feckin donkey and hope they eventually get through.

A physically gifted player without a solid footie brain behind it will never be a consistently top player that can make the whole team play better.
It has never been overlooked, that's what people mean when they highlight a player decision making, vision and reading of the game.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It has never been overlooked, that's what people mean when they highlight a player decision making, vision and reading of the game.
And yet players like Rashford are accused of having poor decision making despite his apparent progress compared to others before him, or physically more limited players like Blind aren't recognized for it until they are gone.

JPRouve

Scout
And yet players like Rashford are accused of having poor decision making despite his apparent progress compared to others before him, or physically more limited players like Blind aren't recognized for it until they are gone.
If Rashford decision making has been criticized then your point about it being overlooked is clearly wrong, it means that it hasn't been overlooked you just disagree with other people's evaluation. And Blind's intelligence was recognized by many, lets not make up things, of course some didn't see it that way but that's true for everything.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Rashford has more creative spark and can produce more special moments such as the one from last night, it doesn't help Mbappe's shooting outside the box is quite non-existent in comparison.
Still overall Mbappe remains the superior player, he's far more dangeorus with his runs, even in bad games such as last night there are still 2 or 3 instances where you tell yourself "he could've scored right there"

Tony247

Rashford vs Mbappe:
Speed = both
Workrate = Rashford
High stake match game raiser = rashford
Footballing skill = Mbappe
Footballing IQ = Mbappe

STYLOISRED

Rashford vs Mbappe:
Speed = both
Workrate = Rashford
High stake match game raiser = rashford
Footballing skill = Mbappe
Footballing IQ = Mbappe
Rashford has more skill. Mbappe just uses his better hence the higher IQ.

RashyForPM

Just appreciate both. Two of the brightest young players in the world. They recognise how brilliant each other are too; look at the words they’ve said said about each other.

STYLOISRED

While i would say Mbappe is the better player overall, i struggle to think of a big match where the whole team was playing badly and he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. All the big matches that he plays well its always seem to be that his team played well. Maybe at Monaco but i admittedly didn't eatch him much there so I can't know.

cyberman

Rashford has more creative spark and can produce more special moments such as the one from last night, it doesn't help Mbappe's shooting outside the box is quite non-existent in comparison.
Still overall Mbappe remains the superior player, he's far more dangeorus with his runs, even in bad games such as last night there are still 2 or 3 instances where you tell yourself "he could've scored right there"
Na, the he could have scored there is Rashford in a nutshell. He is a monster of a big game player but we would he looking at Ronaldo numbers if he took advantage of every great attacking situation he finds himself in.
City away last year he should have had a first half hattrick alone. We would be EL champions if he was on it in the semis.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Na, the he could have scored there is Rashford in a nutshell. He is a monster of a big game player but we would he looking at Ronaldo numbers if he took advantage of every great attacking situation he finds himself in.
City away last year he should have had a first half hattrick alone. We would be EL champions if he was on it in the semis.
This is exactly why I criticized him after last game. He's very close to being a very good player, and considered world class around the world, but not quite there yet because of what you've described.

Mbappe is the better player but Rashford is catching him as he stagnates at PSG.

Pace - Rashford is fast but Mbappe is another level.
Technical ability - Mbappe, but he is losing it by not being challenged regularly. Too many loose touches and not moving the ball fast enough.
Creativity - Pretty equal, but Rashford is getting better whilst Mbappe is not.
Footballing IQ - Rashford wastes a lot of chances but overall his knowledge of what to do is way above Mbappe's, who is still playing like he was when he was 18.
Shooting - Rashford outside the box, Mbappe in it.
Finishing - Mbappe.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Mbappe is by far the better player - he was extremely dangerous every time he picked up the ball last night and was playing vs the best defensive RB in the world... with a back 3 and 2 defensive midfielders behind him. Rashford was regularly 1v1 on the counter and couldn't make it count.

I think Rashford is great and would be happy for him to lead the line at United for the next 10 years but he's not on Mbappe's level at all.

If you switch them in yesterday's game, Mbappe scores a hattrick and Rashford comes off at 65 minutes for Draxler.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappe is comfortably the better player. I don't think they are in the same category.

Utdstar01

Mbappe is by far the better player - he was extremely dangerous every time he picked up the ball last night and was playing vs the best defensive RB in the world... with a back 3 and 2 defensive midfielders behind him. Rashford was regularly 1v1 on the counter and couldn't make it count.

I think Rashford is great and would be happy for him to lead the line at United for the next 10 years but he's not on Mbappe's level at all.

If you switch them in yesterday's game, Mbappe scores a hattrick and Rashford comes off at 65 minutes for Draxler.
:lol:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Good post - but what did I write that's not true? It must be one of the following:

1. You think Rashford's better than Mbappe.
2. You don't think tactics and personnel played a part in each of their performances yesterday.
3. You think that Mbappe would've messed up those 4-5 counter attacking opportunities vs the PSG defence.

Let me know, thanks. x

jeff_goldblum

I can't say I've watched Mbappe a lot, generally only in the Champions League and big international games. But, whenever I've watched him, I've generally been very impressed with his runs and movement off-the-ball but underwhelmed by what he does when he actually gets it (barring those occasions where he receives the ball on the run and manages to keep it with him as he burns defenders for pace).

Stretender

There are some deluded people on here.

Rashford is not even the best of the front 3 at United, Greenwood is Miles head.

Let's celebrate beating PSG last night but saying Rashford is better than Mbappe is an insult to our football intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.