Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

He is a 18 year old that played a huge part in helping them win the league. It is quite amazing.
It's the French league. This is Rashford's first champions league maybe if he scores a few goals he'll get some European recognition. I'm not going to lie Rashford has been downplayed from his debut never seen anything like it considering what he's achieved so far.

Have to admit I was one that downplayed him at first due to his rawness and seeing it all before from United youngsters but the kid is special regardless what people are saying in this thread.

El-Manos

Like most said, not much between Lukaku and Kane, although Kane does edge it for me. Mbappe is much better than Rashford.

AshfordLad

Kane is a vastly superior player to Lukaku in terms of technique and over all ability. The sort of goals Kane scores, Lukaku wouldn't even dare try. Its like comparing Henry and Shearer, although they both may score nearly same number of goals, only of one of them will be remembered among the all time greats.

Comparing Rashford to Mbappe is just taking the piss (as pretty much everyone apart from op has posted).

Utdstar01

There's no middle ground for rashford. People are either overrating him or calling him shit. Mbappe is the bigger prospect as of now but who knows where we could be in 3/4 years time.

One thing is for sure, Rashford would've scored a fair amount of goals in that Monaco team of last season if he was there.

beingshe7don

There's no middle ground for rashford. People are either overrating him or calling him shit. Mbappe is the bigger prospect as of now but who knows where we could be in 3/4 years time.

One thing is for sure, Rashford would've scored a fair amount of goals in that Monaco team of last season if he was there.
Rashford is probably quicker than Mbappe but Rashford misses a lot of chances. On the other hand, Mbappe makes his chances count and more than often puts the ball in the back of the net. Mbappe is still the better player. Rashford needs to improve on his shooting and finishing.

U99ted

Kane is easily better than Lukaku, and Mbappe is easily better than Rashford. That will be the case by the time they've all ended their careers too imo.
Disagreed. Lukaku has been stuck in Everton teams much worse than Spurs have been over the last few years, but still put out great numbers. Also had a great start once he joined a decent team.

AlwaysRed66

One thing both Kane & Lukaku have in common is that for the last few years both have constantly been at the top of the goal scoring league in the premiership. The only other player constantly up there is Aguero. Others are highly rated but are not as prolific over a period of time, despite being at the top clubs. That is all either can do, & I think any of the top six would be happy to have either of them.

AdnanRED

Kane has everything and if there was a slight chance he was available Mou would have went for him. As for Mbappe I cant speak as I havent seen much but Rashford has already proven himself in the PL against the best of players and I dont feel is naturally that talented but is extremely hard working where as Mbappe seems more talented, as we have seen with Ronaldo and Rooney or Nani that talent doesnt always equal the best outcome in the future.

AshRK

I somehow feel lukaku will never get his due credit like a kane or other number 9 will get. Maybe some will always look as lukaku as some donkey striker. Hopefully he wins many trophies with us so that he can get his due praise.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Kane > Lukaku, Mbappe > Rashford. Sorry but it's true, for now.

I'm extremely happy with what we've got though.

Walters_19_MuFc

With the first week of the Champions league over, it was interesting looking back and thinking we might have a couple new interesting rivalry's developing.

Kane and Lukaku have been battling domestically for arguable two years now but with Lukaku finally having that higher platform, it's been interesting to see him embracing it. Between the two I feel Lukaku probably has more tools to his game that can be improved on however Kane's finishing yesterday was David Trezeguet esq and as a rival fan it was quite frightening.

Which leads me on to the wonderkids... I don't think much notice has been made to how in-sync they have both made a lot of noise over the last two weeks internationally and at club level. Mbappe certainly carries with him more hype but I feel Rashford is pretty much going unnoticed (which for him could be a good thing) but i'm secretly hoping we are looking at a new Messi v Ronaldo like rivalry..

As the years develop it will be interesting to see who ends up getting the biggest accolades and whether these are comparable rivalries as we could easily end up with a Rooney v Ronaldo like situation.
If Rashford goes on to achieve what Rooney achieved for us, then I'd be over the moon.

MrBest

Lukaku vs kane.. kane every day. Hes more complete,can pass and has a good first touch. Has been consistently good for 3 years.

I find it stunning how people write off rashford. I genuinely think rashford is going to a phenomenal player in 5 years. I think he is a slow learner but the talent he has is matched with ball of steel. Mbappe is a very good player but there is so much hype around him. Cavani looks world class in france at 32, im quite certain rashford would look better there too. I think its way to early to predict both in 5 years as rashford would only be 24 and mbappe 22. Anything can happen in that time frame. I remember the days when people wrote off ronaldo as overrated. The rest is history. I think mbappe is a quicker learner but the max potential is similar. I think rashford is special and his game feom 1.5 years ago has rapidly gone stronger. For me the real one to watch out for is dembelle. He is going to be some player.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I genuinely believe that we, with our squad as is, are better off with Lukaku than we would be with Kane. But I have literally no clue if I rate one higher than the other in general.

As for Rashford vs Mbappe... Mbappe no contest. Hell, for me Rashford won't ever become one of the world's best players. A great one, sure, but not in the top tier.
Yeahhhh, no...

I would swap Lukaku for Kane in a heartbeat. And I think Lukaku is a great signing.

Kane is going to be an absolute superstar IMO.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Don't understand where people think Kane can go with his game?

We know Lukaku is going to improve his first touch, his work rate, his positioning, his hold up play, his overall consistency, probably quite easily and quickly potentially to the point of being the world's best striker as there'll end up simply being nothing he isn't phenomenal at.

Kane may be the overall better player currently but doesn't have that natural slippery close control or pace of Lukaku, nor glaring weaknesses in his game that can be improved on and rapidly. Where is he going to be in 5 years' time in relation?

M'Bappe and Rashford have the same sort of relationship in that Rashford has a lot he can improve on while M'Bappe already looks quite complete as it is, although when Rashford does round his game up he'll only be as good as M'Bappe.

Mr. Meeseeks

Lukaku is faster and stronger and a better header of the ball than Kane. The only thing Kane is better at is his finishing, and Lukaku can easily reach that level if he works on it.

Lukaku has the higher ceiling as a striker in my opinion (mainly because of his physical attributes). They're just different types of players (Kane's style of play is perhaps easier on the eyes). Kane is the more complete player right now.

Kane's technique is godlike. Lukaku could learn a thing or two from him about how to properly strike a football.

Edit: the post above mine sums it up perfectly. Lukaku is scoring buckets despite having areas of his game to work on. When he improves on those he will be the better player.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I somehow feel lukaku will never get his due credit like a kane or other number 9 will get. Maybe some will always look as lukaku as some donkey striker. Hopefully he wins many trophies with us so that he can get his due praise.
Lukaku is far from a donkey he is a lethal finisher but he's a bit one dimensional, power and pace is his gift, but he isn't dumb he finds great spaces for balls to be played in behind the line. Of course I'm gonna prefer Kane as he may have s few more strings to his bow but Lukaku is a top striker and I actually think he will get the golden boot this year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku is far from a donkey he is a lethal finisher but he's a bit one dimensional, power and pace is his gift, but he isn't dumb he finds great spaces for balls to be played in behind the line. Of course I'm gonna prefer Kane as he may have s few more strings to his bow but Lukaku is a top striker and I actually think he will get the golden boot this year.
What do you mean by one dimensional? Because Lukaku can score almost all type of goals.

Classical Mechanic

I'd take Kane over Lukaku right now but that might change by the end of the season.

I prefer Rashford over Mbappe. Whilst Mbappe might be the better player currently. I think Rashford is going to improve a lot in the coming years and he is a Manc lad and United academy graduate.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly? I think Mbappé might be better than Kane and Lukaku, nevermind Rashford....i think he will be better than anyone playing in england by the end of the season...

roonster09

Scout
I mean he relies a lot on his speed and strength, that's his game. Like I said it's not a bad thing at all.
I had similar discussion elsewhere, you check his all goals for Everton last season and before that, he doesn't rely on his strength. His off the ball movement, positioning, awareness is very good, that's how he scores goals. For a big player he doesn't really use his physical strength properly.

Schneckerl

guys it's only the french league
Mbappe also scored 1 goal / 90 min the the CL, but that's because his team - European giant Monaco - is really, really good and he mostly scored tap ins

This season his team is even better. Could score 2 goals per game, still wouldn't be any better than Rashford who scores 0.25 / 90 min, but has to face EPL teams after all

yes some people really believe that

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Rashford vs Pele who's better? I haven't seen Pele do anything that Rashford can't.

We know Lukaku is going to improve his first touch, his work rate, his positioning, his hold up play, his overall consistency, probably quite easily and quickly potentially to the point of being the world's best striker as there'll end up simply being nothing he isn't phenomenal at.
He'll probably end up having a Bergkampesque first touch too

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I had similar discussion elsewhere, you check his all goals for Everton last season and before that, he doesn't rely on his strength. His off the ball movement, positioning, awareness is very good, that's how he scores goals. For a big player he doesn't really use his physical strength properly.
I agree his awareness and movement is great, like I said in the first post. His ability to get in behind for the through pass is great but his pace allowed him to do that. When I said power I didn't mean he out muscled defender I meant it more pace wise.

Classical Mechanic

guys it's only the french league
Mbappe also scored 1 goal / 90 min the the CL, but that's because his team - European giant Monaco - is really, really good and he mostly scored tap ins

This season his team is even better. Could score 2 goals per game, still wouldn't be any better than Rashford who scores 0.25 / 90 min, but has to face EPL teams after all

yes some people really believe that
Rashford has scored a goal every 87.7 mins this season in PL & CL. Mbappe has scored a goal every 124.5 min in the L1 & CL.

LoneStar

I don't think Lukaku is one dimensional at all. His hold up play has been pretty good this season. Kane has better technique than him, I'll give you that. And for all the shit that he's gotten about his first touch, that has not showed in his time at United.

Agree it'll be between Kane and Lukaku for the golden boot this season. Lukaku can compete on level terms with Kane, now that he's in a top team. I think Lukaku will win it too. Both are not at their peak, so it'll be even better when both get there.

roonster09

Scout
I agree his awareness and movement is great, like I said in the first post. His ability to get in behind for the through pass is great but his pace allowed him to do that. When I said power I didn't mean he out muscled defender I meant it more pace wise.
I agree with what you said except one dimensional part. Overall I would say Kane is better player though without doubt. Hopefully that will change by the end of this season.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't understand where people think Kane can go with his game?

Kane may be the overall better player currently but doesn't have that natural slippery close control or pace of Lukaku, nor glaring weaknesses in his game that can be improved on and rapidly. Where is he going to be in 5 years' time in relation?

M'Bappe and Rashford have the same sort of relationship in that Rashford has a lot he can improve on while M'Bappe already looks quite complete as it is, although when Rashford does round his game up he'll only be as good as M'Bappe.
With all due respect, I don't really understand this argument.

Firstly, Lukaku is 24. There might be some improvements in his first touch but at this age, pretty much what you see is what you're going to get wrt first touch. I think he's past the age where he's going to be making major improvements on that (not as a player in general but specifically on first touch).

This is also a very similar line of reasoning to Bale vs Nani, that was had here quite often. The argument being that Bale was a speed merchant with a powerful shot and had reached his peak, with little else to improve on, whereas Nani had a long list of attributes he could (and would) improve on. That isn't how it works. Just because a player has glaring weaknesses in his game, it doesn't mean that they're going to be resolved. Similarly, a player with no glaring weaknesses can still greatly improve.

3 seasons ago, would you have imagined the improvement that Kane has made? And yet, would you have said that Kane had glaring weakness then either?

Kane is continuing to improve. That despite having no glaring weaknesses.

Mbappe I think looks like an absolutely insane talent but that doesn't take away from how accomplished Rashford is. Easy to forget how young Rashford is with how he plays.

roonster09

Scout
Lukaku's first touch is fine, so without any significant changes also it's still fine.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lukaku is a better player than Kane and will probably end up with more goals than him this year too, providing United perform well enough to give him the opportunities.

Haven't really seen enough of Mbappe but I doubt he is on the same level as Messi or Ronaldo, and Rashford isn't. The idea itself is a bit ridiculous. Not to say either wont be a very good player, but there are always goood young players. Two years ago it was Martial. Last year it was Renato Sanchez (who I've never even seen have a good game).

It takes more than just being talented to end up as one of the best players in the world, let alone best of all time. You can't judge a player will turn out like that until they are performing at a level high and consistent eenough to alreayd be on their way there.

ChrisNelson

It's easier to judge Lukaku, Kane and Rashford (especially the 2 United players) because we see them so regularly in the Premier League. As has been pointed out in previous posts, all we know about Mbappe is he's got a good goal scoring record in Ligue 1. Yes he's only 18 and looks a decent talent but he's made a big move and is still only playing in Ligue 1. He has a lot more to prove and has to win Champions League titles otherwise he'll be like a Celtic player, showing off Title medals to everyone when realistically there's no competition anymore (now Monaco have been stripped bare).
The other 3 are already performing at a high level, week in week out in a top European league.

Janson

Young player X will never become elite/world class or young player X will be one of the best, Balon d'or material is the biggest BS statement. It's like people don't remember Balotelli, Pato, Anderson, Kane, Drogba, Lewandowski, Wilshere.
Exactly. It's so rare that those statements have to pretty much always be discounted, until proven.

Janson

It's easier to judge Lukaku, Kane and Rashford (especially the 2 United players) because we see them so regularly in the Premier League. As has been pointed out in previous posts, all we know about Mbappe is he's got a good goal scoring record in Ligue 1. Yes he's only 18 and looks a decent talent but he's made a big move and is still only playing in Ligue 1. He has a lot more to prove and has to win Champions League titles otherwise he'll be like a Celtic player, showing off Title medals to everyone when realistically there's no competition anymore (now Monaco have been stripped bare).
The other 3 are already performing at a high level, week in week out in a top European league.
Wouldn't say someone has to have won the CL to prove he's a great player. There have been many greats who never won it. There's a big gap there between being a Celtic player and winning the CL. Although you have to have shown a consistent level of high performance in a top league to get to be an established name, and Mbappe hasn't done that yet.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The best thing about Mbappe is his football IQ. He makes the right decisions and usually makes the right play. Also the way he positions his body to receive passes and the subtle movements he does to escape his marker belies his years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The best thing about Mbappe is his football IQ. He makes the right decisions and usually makes the right play. Also the way he positions his body to receive passes and the subtle movements he does to escape his marker belies his years.
Yep. That's the thing with him. He's already a complete, fully formed player. He's already a world class player. Rashford isn't. Dembele i think steals the eye more than Mbappé and his combination of physical and technical tools is mouth watering, if he puts everything together and improves those areas where he needs to improve....but he's still potential, there's no guarantee he will ever get there. Mbappé is already there, that's what sets him apart from the rest of the young uber-talents

On Lukaku and Kane, i think they're both world class strikers, but Kane offers a bit more and can hurt you in more ways. He's also been more consistent than Lukaku, but then Lukaku played for Everton, so we'll have to see what he can be at united

Status
Not open for further replies.