Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rashford has a lot more in common with Calvert-Lewin than he does with players of the level of Mbappe, Sane and Sterling.
Rashford is 3 years younger than Sterling and a year younger than Sané. He has plenty in common with them.

XH6

If Rashford at the peak of his career can reach the level that Mbappe is at right now, then I would be more than happy with that from a United perspective.

Charles Miller

:houllier: No he isn't. Kane is one of the most complete strikers on the planet.
Kane is great for sure, but Mbappe is another level. Not "only" a striker but a complete attacking player.
Also, you was waiting Kane to score again to reply me, right?:lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Oh feck me!!!! Mbappe is better than Kane now? What a load utter fecking horse shit bollocks fecks!

IrishRedDevil

Kane is great for sure, but Mbappe is another level. Not "only" a striker but a complete attacking player.
Also, you was waiting Kane to score again to reply me, right?:lol:
Mbappe who has done it for one season? Let’s slow down a bit. Kane is tried and tested and can also be called a complete attacking player. What can Kane not do?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Mbappe who has done it for one season? Let’s slow down a bit. Kane is tried and tested and can also be called a complete attacking player. What can Kane not do?
Mbappe is a much better dribbler, for starters. I don't know whenever I would classify him as a better player yet, though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Mbappe is a much better dribbler, for starters. I don't know whenever I would classify him as a better player yet, though.
And that’s all he’s better at.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And that's it then? Long list of one thing he is better at.
I don't know, it wasn't me who made the original point. I'd say that Mbappe is also more creative, he's faster, but Kane's goalscoring prowess is hard to overlook.

edit: I think he just outscored Messi and everyone else in the calendar year? Fantastic

Last edited:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
As much as it saddens me to say it, there is no comparison to be had between Kane and Lukaku. I don't need to look at any stats, Kane is simply a better football player. I just hope Lukaku can turn into a Ruud vs Henry situation where even if latter was better, we were happy with what we had.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Kane and Mbappe are different players. One is the focal point of their team whereas the other mostly plays out wide. Daft to compare the two. The comparison of Lukaku v Kane and Mbappe v Rashford makes sense in that regard, though there's still a clear winner on both sides.

diplomat

Kane and Mbappe are definitely better at this moment, but I hope both Lukaku and Rashford can prove the doubters wrong as they have shown a lot of promise at times, but we have to start playing fluid attacking football in order for their strengths to shine through.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Kane and Mbappe are different players. One is the focal point of their team whereas the other mostly plays out wide. Daft to compare the two. The comparison of Lukaku v Kane and Mbappe v Rashford makes sense in that regard, though there's still a clear winner on both sides.
Valid point, that.

If we hope to see Rashford reach his undoubted potential, Jose needs to offer him a role in the team more suitable to a player of his skillset - ideally center forward. Probably Martial too, athough the latter appears quite comfortable coming in off the left flank.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Valid point, that.

If we hope to see Rashford reach his undoubted potential, Jose needs to offer him a role in the team more suitable to a player of his skillset - ideally center forward. Probably Martial too, athough the latter appears quite comfortable coming in off the left flank.
Martial suits more of an inside forward role which Malcom would apparently have if we sign him - though Martial did do well when he played up top with Lukaku with Lingard behind them. Only lasted a game though.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah. Only player to put those sorts of numbers in other than Messi and Ronaldo in the last decade I think.
They're 5 players with over 50 goals this calendar year so it's not like it's litterally exceptional. Still impressive though considering Kane played the less games and has the best ratio among those 5 (Kane, Messi, Cavani, Cristiano, Lewandowski).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Right now it is
Kane>Mbappe>Lukaku>Rashford

In future though Mbappe could surpass Kane, and Rashford could surpass Lukaku. But if this didn’t happen I wouldn’t be surprise too.

Mick1

Oh feck me!!!! Mbappe is better than Kane now? What a load utter fecking horse shit bollocks fecks!
I uunderstand the comparisons tbh. It's rather obvious that Kane is one of the best players in the world, but he has 5 years over Mbappe, who will go on to become in a league of his own. I literally cannot think of one talent who comes close ( even Asensio, Jesus and Dembele seem to be quite behind, and Martial ( in his 1st season where he was seen as the young player with the highest potential) is still found lacking ). I think we're witnessing something special here.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Kane vs Lukaku and Mbappe vs Rashford are not even close contests at the moment. Kane's game has improved massively over the years. His ability to create chances for himself even when the players behind him are feeding him scraps and his movement to open up spaces for others too are steadily becoming top notch. And his ability to shot and pass the ball while running at full speed make him an absolute joy to watch on the football pitch. Mbappe is one of the most intelligent forwards considering his age. The way he reads the attacking moves and reacts shows a maturity that's very rare for an 18-year-old. You will never see him trying to go past two or three defenders in tight spaces or dribbling his way out of the pitch.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
As much as it saddens me to say it, there is no comparison to be had between Kane and Lukaku. I don't need to look at any stats, Kane is simply a better football player. I just hope Lukaku can turn into a Ruud vs Henry situation where even if latter was better, we were happy with what we had.
And Cal arguing that RVN's tap-ins made him better than Henry.

It's the right way to think about it though. Fowler wasn't better than Shearer either, but he was amazing to have.

Bedrocan8

Supports
Chelsea
Kane>mbappe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lukaku>rashford
Mbappe most naturally gifted. Any other opinion is just wrong.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The scary thing is he really isn't
If Kane is asked to play like M'Bappé, I mean most of the time on the right, sometimes in the middle and sometimes on the left, he doesn't have the same stats as Kylian for sure. As the main central striker, Kane is definitely better at the moment as he's had more time to refine and work on his finishing. The ceiling of M'Bappé is higher but whether he'll reach it as another debate. In terms of footballing intelligence and decision making, I'd even give Kylian the advantage.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There's nothing 'undoubted' about his potential and he's nowhere near good enough to be our first choice striker. He shouldn't be first choice here full stop.
Of course he shouldn't be out first choice striker, I never claimed he should be either. Have you always doubted his potential or are you simply knee-jerking due to a few poor showings of late?

It's perfectly natural for a young lad to show inconsistency, even one as talented as Rashford. It's all part of the process unfortunately, we have to take the rough with the smooth. He will eventually come good, I have no doubts about that.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Mbappe is just starting out compared to Kane, who at 24 is coming off 2 golden boots, Kane is an established superstar. Should be talked about in the same breath as Lewandowski as the best out and out striker in world football on form.

Mbappe may well go on to be better, although Kane is posting astounding stats in a much tougher league. Hes coming off three seasons of 20+ goals. And in a side that by no means has world class attacking support talent. Eriksen is probably the best of the supporting cast but Alli is still young and inconsistent, Lamela and Sissoko are bang average and Son is a good attacking talent but not considered in the same league as a Coutinho, Hazard, Neymar or KDB.

I get the feeling on this forum sometimes that people watch fancy flicks and tricks and equate that to being 'better'. Step overs dont win you matches, goals do. I get you dont like the RVN, RVP, Shearer, Kane kind of striker. That is fine, but there is no denying the effectiveness of these strikers. There arnt too many players in world football that can ride through tackles, throw off challenges, pick passes out, make intelligent football decisions, strike a ball, make great runs in and around the box, press players in a fast counter press, finish with either foot, like Kane.

Yet people seem fixated on his dribbling skills, or his pace, or his lack of step overs(lol). He's not doing a hocus pocus into a marseilles turn or scoring rabonas.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think Rashford could become better than Lukaku given the proper guidance. Mbappé is on another level though. Same for Kane being on another level than Lukaku.

These players shouldnt be in the same discussion.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
And Cal arguing that RVN's tap-ins made him better than Henry.

It's the right way to think about it though. Fowler wasn't better than Shearer either, but he was amazing to have.
Yes, you can't always have the best player in the league in every position. As long as Lukaku comes good for us it is fine even if Kane remains a tier ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.