Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That makes more sense than the silly stuff you said about Oscar whom you signed at 21 for £25m.

I think people forget Rashford was 18 when he broke through at United by scoring two on his European debut. He then went on to score a number of important goals including ones against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

He's a talented kid who has slowed down over the past 12 months but that can be for a number of reasons. United are struggling with cohesion up top so hardly an ideal setting for him. That said perhaps we will look at him differently as he's a Manchester lad born locally and brought up through the club. I do think he's gifted though (think you'd be blind not to see it) and you have to accept these inconsistencies with young forwards. He is still only 20.
And in no way should he ever be compared with a talent like Mbappe. Whether that was when he first broke out, the year after, or today. It's the epitome of English hype and wearing red-tinted glasses and it's a good thing that most people on the board recognized that. I don't think Rashford slowed down, I just think he got found out quick and hasn't adjusted. It's easy to come out of the gate firing, it's much harder to maintain it and improve upon it when defenses know what you bring to the table.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Oscar was a good player who had a good impact and went for money in the end. He was also slightly older than Rashford is right now when he came into the league, so I get that the comparison isn't really fair. However, the fact that some are taking this comparison as an insult is weird. The person who started this didn't help by painting Oscar as a massive flop, but reaction is weird too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
With the first week of the Champions league over, it was interesting looking back and thinking we might have a couple new interesting rivalry's developing.

Kane and Lukaku have been battling domestically for arguable two years now but with Lukaku finally having that higher platform, it's been interesting to see him embracing it. Between the two I feel Lukaku probably has more tools to his game that can be improved on however Kane's finishing yesterday was David Trezeguet esq and as a rival fan it was quite frightening.

Which leads me on to the wonderkids... I don't think much notice has been made to how in-sync they have both made a lot of noise over the last two weeks internationally and at club level. Mbappe certainly carries with him more hype but I feel Rashford is pretty much going unnoticed (which for him could be a good thing) but i'm secretly hoping we are looking at a new Messi v Ronaldo like rivalry..

As the years develop it will be interesting to see who ends up getting the biggest accolades and whether these are comparable rivalries as we could easily end up with a Rooney v Ronaldo like situation.
A year later it's fairly evident that both are no contests.

redshaw

We should bump this thread when Rashford is playing for Sunderland and Lukaku is selling bulk powders from his gym.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Especially the second one.
First one is almost equally bad. Lukaku's only attribute is that he will get 20 odd goals in 50+ games which in this day and age is nothing special for a so called elite CF. Not only is Kane comfortably the better goalscorer but his overall game is lightyears ahead of Lukaku's. My prediction is that one will be leading the line at Real in five years time whilst the other probably will be back to mid-table mediocrity at Everton.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I never understood these threads. It's completely normal that our fans want our players to be better than opposition players, whether they turn out ti be or not it's not really that surprising, but it looks like many are enjoying the fact that they turn out to be better, for some weird reason.

Red_Ramirez

Lukaku is a very good Premier League striker. Harry Kane is clearly a level above, borderline genuine world class.

Rashford is potentially a very good Premier League attacking player...Mbappe is potentially world class

stepic

As for the thread generally you take the best so it’s mbappe even if rashford is pretty much mediocre

Darlington Padgett

Lukaku is a very good Premier League striker. Harry Kane is clearly a level above, borderline genuine world class.

Rashford is potentially a very good Premier League attacking player...Mbappe is potentially world class
It might just be me but I think Harry Kane misses many chances and in some cases easy chances, don't get me wrong I think he is a really great player but from what I've seen from him he misses many chances. Rashford to me looks like Nani, loads of talent and world class moments but lacks the brain to make good decisions, Nani had some amazing seasons that I don't believe Rashford might be able to emulate(I hope I'm wrong). Lukaku is a good backup for a top team and starter for a 6-10 position team. Mbappe to me is world class, the kid is pure magic.

tieunhilang

No amount of coaching will make Rashford Mbappe a contest.
At Rashford's age, Harry Kane looked destined for lower divisions. At Rashford's age, Drogba looked like a donkey with no football intelligence.
Mbappe got the likes of Neymar and Cavani to shield him from pressure, share workloads with him and he can learn from them. Rashford got...Lukaku to share load and learn from? Martial is near as young as him. I'd like to see how Rashford fares in a more ideal circumstance like the one Mbappe got.

Schneckerl

At Rashford's age, Harry Kane looked destined for lower divisions. At Rashford's age, Drogba looked like a donkey with no football intelligence.
Not all players follow the same development. Rashford started out early, but he does have even close to Mbappe's potential.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappe got the likes of Neymar and Cavani to shield him from pressure, share workloads with him and he can learn from them. Rashford got...Lukaku to share load and learn from? Martial is near as young as him. I'd like to see how Rashford fares in a more ideal circumstance like the one Mbappe got.
Thing is, Mbappe will end up better than Kane and Drogba as well. He's a future Balon Dor winner. Rashford may, and it's a real stretch at the moment, reach the level of top players in the future. But Mbappe looks to have potential well above top players

Still got time. Lukaku fair enough. Rashford needs to be coached.
I agree - he may not be Mbappe level but he has lot of potential that can be developed further with the right coach. Mbappe has played under Jardim and Tuchel both very good at developing young player's.

Imagine Mbappe under mourhino, he wouldn't be as effective.

Red_Ramirez

It might just be me but I think Harry Kane misses many chances and in some cases easy chances, don't get me wrong I think he is a really great player but from what I've seen from him he misses many chances. Rashford to me looks like Nani, loads of talent and world class moments but lacks the brain to make good decisions, Nani had some amazing seasons that I don't believe Rashford might be able to emulate(I hope I'm wrong). Lukaku is a good backup for a top team and starter for a 6-10 position team. Mbappe to me is world class, the kid is pure magic.
Nani spent 7 seasons at the club and had one great calendar year (2010) where he was consistently good and became an important figure in the first team. The rest of the years he was quite meh tbh. An incredibly gifted talent just inconsistent and didnt do it enough for me, if anything he alot more comparable to Anthony Martial than Rashford.

Mainoldo

You all laugh at me now. I remember the Gotze v Neymar thread and it wasn’t Neymar that was being praised. I wonder how the Anelka v Henry thread would have went down in 1998. Like I said let’s just wait until Rashford gets a proper coach. I’m not saying he will be the best player in the world, but I’m sure he’s got 20 league goals in him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You all laugh at me now. I remember the Gotze v Neymar thread and it wasn’t Neymar that was being praised. I wonder how the Anelka v Henry thread would have went down in 1998. Like I said let’s just wait until Rashford gets a proper coach. I’m not saying he will be the best player in the world, but I’m sure he’s got 20 league goals in him.
Henry and Trezeguet were above Anelka in most people's mind. And Rashford is a genuine talent, so of course he has 20 league goals in him, it doesn't mean that he is comparable to Mbappé.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I remember laughing at how overhyped Gotze was (lacked elite pace, dribbling, flair) - only thing he had about him was that he was a good decision maker for his age but that wouldn’t last as others would soon overtake him. Neymar was in another stratosphere in terms of ability.

Same goes here - remember saying to noodles that this was an embarrassing comparison and typical of United fans overhyping academy graduates and it could not be more clear right now. Rashford will never be better than Mbappe - even his peak won’t be better than what Mbappe is even now.

Lukaku is close to Kane as a goalscorer perhaps but his overall game lacks Kane’s class. Physically both are lacking that elite level nimbleness but Kane has excellent close control and top notch hold up play. Good through balls as well... Lukaku is quicker but he is not in the same league for me at this moment in time.

Mainoldo

Henry and Trezeguet were above Anelka in most people's mind. And Rashford is a genuine talent, so of course he has 20 league goals in him, it doesn't mean that he is comparable to Mbappé.
Okay replace Anelka with Saha if that helps you. My point being when you have talent it can always go either way. Majority of the time it depends on your career and lifestyle choices.

We can all agree Ronaldo was a generation great but it didn’t stop Henry, Trezeguet, Crespo, RVN from being comparable and better strikers did it not?

Plus I don’t think Mbappe is on that level of an R9. Just my personal opinion a lot will disagree.

snk123

Rashford is just a pace merchant with average dribbling skills and finishing ability. He rarely looks up and is extremely selfish. As a CF, he can not hold the ball, he is poor aerially and his link up play is non-existent. He himself doesn't know his best position but just believes that he should be playing every game because English media has hyped him up and because Jamie Carragher said he should leave Utd to become a top striker. He can still be a good player but world-class? Not in a million years.

JPRouve

Scout
Okay replace Anelka with Saha if that helps you. My point being when you have talent it can always go either way. Majority of the time it depends on your career and lifestyle choices.

We can all agree Ronaldo was a generation great but it didn’t stop Henry, Trezeguet, Crespo, RVN from being comparable and better strikers did it not?

Plus I don’t think Mbappe is on that level of an R9. Just my personal opinion a lot will disagree.
Saha and Henry have never been in the same conversation. And the issue here is that at present there is no comparison between Rashford and Mabppé. As for the comparisons you are referring to they were done in hindsight with Ronaldo being the benchmark, in 98 Ronaldo was considered by far the best striker in the world and it never really changed.

The other issue is that Mbappé has been one of the best youth players since age 12-13, he has been better than everyone else since. Following youth football, I would say that the best comparison would be Sancho and in that case I have no idea about who is going to be the better player.

Smores

Any young player with a bit of technical ability suddenly has huge 'potential' on here. It's a useful throw away term that means feck all really.

Not sure what the obsession is with predictions on development. It's guess work dressed up as football smarts.

Mainoldo

Saha and Henry have never been in the same conversation. And the issue here is that at present there is no comparison between Rashford and Mabppé. As for the comparisons you are referring to they were done in hindsight with Ronaldo being the benchmark, in 98 Ronaldo was considered by far the best striker in the world and it never really changed.

The other issue is that Mbappé has been one of the best youth players since age 12-13, he has been better than everyone else since. Following youth football, I would say that the best comparison would be Sancho and in that case I have no idea about who is going to be the better player.
Following youth football? You didn’t even know Saha was the Mbappe of the French youth team back in the day. Menez was also considered better than Benzema I could go on and on to say your example of being highly rated at 13 means nothing. What the hell does Sancho have to do with these two?

Ronaldo wasn’t the best striker in the world for many of those years though. That is pretty much proven. Care to argue if you want.

JPRouve

Scout
Any young player with a bit of technical ability suddenly has huge 'potential' on here. It's a useful throw away term that means feck all really.

Not sure what the obsession is with predictions on development. It's guess work dressed up as football smarts.
Exactly, comparing them now makes sense but claiming that one can be better than the other is meaningless, you could make that claim for anybody, there is no way to support or disprove it until it actually happens or not.

AndyJ1985

Other pointless comparisons
Januzaj vs Ronaldo
James Wilson vs Aguero
Lingard vs Hazard

JPRouve

Scout
Following youth football? You didn’t even know Saha was the Mbappe of the French youth team back in the day. Menez was also considered better than Benzema I could go on and on to say your example of being highly rated at 13 means nothing. What the hell does Sancho have to do with these two?

Ronaldo wasn’t the best striker in the world for many of those years though. That is pretty much proven. Care to argue if you want.
First I'm talking about today youth football, players in Mbappé's generation. Saha wasn't the Mbappé of French youth team, that was Henry in a competition with Trezeguet, Trezeguet being more advanced in his development, then you had Anelka and eventually Saha. Menez at a youth level was in a close group made of Nasri, Benzema and Ben Arfa, he was extremely good but when Benzema started to play at professional level he quickly made it clear that he was the better player.

And Ronaldo had a few massive injuries, the others didn't really closed the gap, Ronaldo was simply not on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.