Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Following youth football? You didn’t even know Saha was the Mbappe of the French youth team back in the day. Menez was also considered better than Benzema I could go on and on to say your example of being highly rated at 13 means nothing. What the hell does Sancho have to do with these two?

Ronaldo wasn’t the best striker in the world for many of those years though. That is pretty much proven. Care to argue if you want.
Is it impossible for Rashford to reach Mbappe levels? No.

But on the basis of evidence presently available, it’s ludicrous to suggest it is anything but a ridiculous long shot.

Mainoldo

First I'm talking about today youth football, players in Mbappé's generation. Saha wasn't the Mbappé of French youth team, that was Henry in a competition with Trezeguet, Trezeguet being more advanced in his development, then you had Anelka and eventually Saha. Menez at a youth level was in a close group made of Nasri, Benzema and Ben Arfa, he was extremely good but when Benzema started to play at professional level he quickly made it clear that he was the better player.

And Ronaldo had a few massive injuries, the others didn't really closed the gap, Ronaldo was simply not on the field.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...e-academy-Inside-France-s-talent-factory.html

Go do your research and stop chatting rubbish. Go read up on Clairefontaine and stop pretending you know youth football.

Injuries or not, when he was fit he wasn't the best striker in world football for a number of years. From 18-21 he probably should have gone on to be the best footballer ever. Unfortunate but his early years still makes him an all time great.

Mainoldo

Is it impossible for Rashford to reach Mbappe levels? No.

But on the basis of evidence presently available, it’s ludicrous to suggest it is anything but a ridiculous long shot.
Listen my first post in the thread was what i was hoping would have been an interest view especially being a United fan. I didn't predict the club would be 10th in the league with non of our players looking like footballers. It happens like that, I didn't claim anyone would be the G.O.A.T.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...e-academy-Inside-France-s-talent-factory.html

Go do your research and stop chatting rubbish. Go read up on Clairefontaine and stop pretending you know youth football.

Injuries or not, when he was fit he wasn't the best striker in world football for a number of years. From 18-21 he probably should have gone on to be the best footballer ever. Unfortunate but his early years still makes him an all time great.
And there isn't a moment in that article where Saha is made to be the Mbappé of french youth teams or even compared to Henry, if anything Mbappé is compared to Henry which is what I said. Saha is simply mentioned as a former member of the academy.
Honestly I'm not getting you here, you get upset for no good reason. I didn't insult you, didn't say anything special, just that based on what we know there is no elements for debate other than anything can happen.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You all laugh at me now. I remember the Gotze v Neymar thread and it wasn’t Neymar that was being praised. I wonder how the Anelka v Henry thread would have went down in 1998. Like I said let’s just wait until Rashford gets a proper coach. I’m not saying he will be the best player in the world, but I’m sure he’s got 20 league goals in him.
Yeah ..no. Henry Neymar and Gotze had that extra special since a young age. From the start Rashford never showed that sort of ability - the mbappe,Henry or gotze sort.

Someone who did show that extra something special was martial so you could see maybe in a better setting marrial becomes a beast but it’s unlikely as well.

Rashford is a very single dimensional player and relies heavily on pace and good shooting.

Mainoldo

Yeah ..no. Henry Neymar and Gotze had that extra special since a young age. From the start Rashford never showed that sort of ability - the mbappe,Henry or gotze sort.

Someone who did show that extra something special was martial so you could see maybe in a better setting marrial becomes a beast but it’s unlikely as well.

Rashford is a very single dimensional player and relies heavily on pace and good shooting.
Did I dream Rashford's start to professional football or what?

Mainoldo

And there isn't a moment in that article where Saha is made to be the Mbappé of french youth teams or even compared to Henry, if anything Mbappé is compared to Henry which is what I said. Saha is simply mentioned as a former member of the academy.
Honestly I'm not getting you here, you get upset for no good reason. I didn't insult you, didn't say anything special, just that based on what we know there is no elements for debate other than anything can happen.
You mentioned Mbappe at 13. At 13 the article clearly talks about how Henry struggled. Doesn't really say anything about him being the best there... but like I said i say these things because it's been quoted already by many that coached and trained their Saha was the best. You then told me Saha wasn't around it was Henry and Trezeguet. The photo clearly shows Saha and Anelka in the same camp.

Let's leave that bit alone, all i'm saying is just because you are classed as the best for a youngster doesn't mean it's impossible for those below you in talent to surpass you. But we both know that, so it's cool.

shamans

Did I dream Rashford's start to professional football or what?
Are we discussing amazing starts or overall talent and ceiling? Macheda also had a pretty good start.

Maybe you like the rest got excited at the goals. They were brilliant and he is too but he doesn’t have anything close to the potential of Mbappé. Rashford will most likely be playing for Sunderland in a few seasons if we’re honest

Mainoldo

Are we discussing amazing starts or overall talent and ceiling? Macheda also had a pretty good start.

Maybe you like the rest got excited at the goals. They were brilliant and he is too but he doesn’t have anything close to the potential of Mbappé. Rashford will most likely be playing for Sunderland in a few seasons if we’re honest
What his two league goals?

You said from the start he never showed that ability. But he clearly did, even got called up for the national team which he still remains in, as a second striker to Kane. He pretty much score on every competition debut except the Euro's and World cup. We are not talking about Francis Jeffers here, the kid has some obvious talent. But we will see if he ends up at Sunderland :lol:

el3mel

That + Herrera vs Kante thread show how much we overrate our players at some times.

Pogba, De Gea and Martial are are our only players that I'll put in comparison with other players worldwidr.

Hang on, you did write:

"Henry Neymar and Gotze had that extra special since a young age. From the start Rashford never showed that sort of ability - the mbappe,Henry or gotze sort."

I still think you're doing Rashford a huge disservice, just look at the sides he has scored against in his career:
Arsenal, Man City (two occasions), Spain (two occasions), Chelsea, EL Semi final, Liverpool. And he's 20 years old. He's not on Mpabbe's level of course, but he's also not a Sunderland level player

Posh Red

Nani spent 7 seasons at the club and had one great calendar year (2010) where he was consistently good and became an important figure in the first team. The rest of the years he was quite meh tbh. An incredibly gifted talent just inconsistent and didnt do it enough for me, if anything he alot more comparable to Anthony Martial than Rashford.
:lol: Fair play you managed to get a dig in on Martial. Impressive.

Mainoldo

Seriously people in here with your negativity.. chill out. If the club was doing what it was suppose to be doing we would have Lukaku and Rashford playing at a good level banging in the goals. This was not no who's better thread, this was created to see how the players had developed and how they are doing compared against the other. Take your talent discussions somewhere else.. There is a Killian Mbappe is GOD thread somewhere on here i promise you.

JPRouve

Scout
You mentioned Mbappe at 13. At 13 the article clearly talks about how Henry struggled. Doesn't really say anything about him being the best there... but like I said i say these things because it's been quoted already by many that coached and trained their Saha was the best. You then told me Saha wasn't around it was Henry and Trezeguet. The photo clearly shows Saha and Anelka in the same camp.

Let's leave that bit alone, all i'm saying is just because you are classed as the best for a youngster doesn't mean it's impossible for those below you in talent to surpass you. But we both know that, so it's cool.
I said that Mbappé has been the best attacker since age 13 and confirmed at every level, I didn't say that Henry was the best since age 13 and the coach didn't tell you that Saha was the best either. You claimed that Saha was the Mbappé of french youth teams which isn't the case, unfortunately for him he had three other strikers above him and it's not a dig at Saha because those three players were exceptionally good and took most of the attention away from him because they started sooner. From the moment all these players went to their club's academies and started playing professional football, Henry was seen as the most talented. There is only one year between them but Henry started professionally in 94 before Saha even left Clairefontaine.

And again, Rashford is a great talent and could become anything but at the moment it's not possible to have an actual debate.

Mainoldo

I said that Mbappé has been the best attacker since age 13 and confirmed at every level, I didn't say that Henry was the best since age 13 and the coach didn't tell you that Saha was the best either. You claimed that Saha was the Mbappé of french youth teams which isn't the case, unfortunately for him he had three other strikers above him and it's not a dig at Saha because those three players were exceptionally good and took most of the attention away from him because they started sooner. From the moment all these players went to their club's academies and started playing professional football, Henry was seen as the most talented. There is only one year between them but Henry started professionally in 94 before Saha even left Clairefontaine.

And again, Rashford is a great talent and could become anything but at the moment it's not possible to have an actual debate.
Is that not the same thing? :rolleyes:. I didn't say the article claimed that i did say it was claimed by coaches and his peers though. He wasn't unfortunate at all. He just went to Newcastle and flopped it happens. There was no secret gate way which was blocked off for him. If United had signed him as an 18 year old his career might have been different. But you can say that about many players.

Telling me Henry made his debut in 94 is like telling me David Beckham made his debut in 94 with a straight face as clarification he was levels. Henry's and Beckham's career clearly did not start in 94. Monaco introduced a lot of youth around that period for a couple of years, including the likes of Thuram, Trezeguet etc.

JPRouve

Scout
Is that not the same thing? :rolleyes:. I didn't say the article claimed that i did say it was claimed by coaches and his peers though. He wasn't unfortunate at all. He just went to Newcastle and flopped it happens. There was no secret gate way which was blocked off for him. If United had signed him as an 18 year old his career might have been different. But you can say that about many players.

Telling me Henry made his debut in 94 is like telling me David Beckham made his debut in 94 with a straight face as clarification he was levels. Henry's and Beckham's career clearly did not start in 94. Monaco introduced a lot of youth around that period for a couple of years, including the likes of Thuram, Trezeguet etc.
I'm not following you, Saha was loaned to Newcastle in 99, he played for Metz during his first season. The season Saha begun his career, Henry was already a main figure for Monaco, was a league champion(96-97), had played in Europe and was named best french youth player. If you look at international level it's even more telling, Saha started his professional career in August 97, Henry started his international senior career in October 97.

I could be wrong but it seems that you are underrating Henry's early years.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I love Redrom but its not even a debate between him and Kane who genuinely looks like the second coming of Shearer.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I love Redrom but its not even a debate between him and Kane who genuinely looks like the second coming of Shearer.
An apt comparison. If Kane stays in the PL & remains free of any serious injuries, I don't see how he doesn't, at the very least, come close to the goals scored by the likes of Shearer & Rooney.

Lukaku gets 125-150+ PL goals if he stays here too. More like Defoe than Shearer (and I don't mean that as a criticism, either - Defoe is underrated as hell).

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
An apt comparison. If Kane stays in the PL & remains free of any serious injuries, I don't see how he doesn't, at the very least, come close to the goals scored by the likes of Shearer & Rooney.

Lukaku gets 125-150+ PL goals if he stays here too. More like Defoe than Shearer (and I don't mean that as a criticism, either - Defoe is underrated as hell).
I find it insane Kane played a whole season, went straight to the World Cup to captain England then straight into another fixture packed season with no pre season no rest.

And he has very little rest/backup at Spurs. Llorente gets the occasional game but Kane plays the bulk of matches. In a Pochettino team with an emphasis on intense pressing from the front.

Defoe was really good, just a rung down from the 'greats'. Although in a bang average Spurs team he scored a lot of goals.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I find it insane Kane played a whole season, went straight to the World Cup to captain England then straight into another fixture packed season with no pre season no rest.

And he has very little rest/backup at Spurs. Llorente gets the occasional game but Kane plays the bulk of matches. In a Pochettino team with an emphasis on intense pressing from the front.

Defoe was really good, just a rung down from the 'greats'. Although in a bang average Spurs team he scored a lot of goals.
That's where I think Lukaku can/will end up. He scored plenty of goals playing for average Everton/West Brom teams, but being the go-to forward for the biggest club in the country might be a little bit too far for him.

Kane will go down as a PL great, but will he go down as more than that? Only time will tell. I've always wondered how Shearer is seen by continental football fans. I mean, he didn't play too much European football, so it's hard to know.

Skills

Snitch

With the first week of the Champions league over, it was interesting looking back and thinking we might have a couple new interesting rivalry's developing.

Kane and Lukaku have been battling domestically for arguable two years now but with Lukaku finally having that higher platform, it's been interesting to see him embracing it. Between the two I feel Lukaku probably has more tools to his game that can be improved on however Kane's finishing yesterday was David Trezeguet esq and as a rival fan it was quite frightening.

Which leads me on to the wonderkids... I don't think much notice has been made to how in-sync they have both made a lot of noise over the last two weeks internationally and at club level. Mbappe certainly carries with him more hype but I feel Rashford is pretty much going unnoticed (which for him could be a good thing) but i'm secretly hoping we are looking at a new Messi v Ronaldo like rivalry..

As the years develop it will be interesting to see who ends up getting the biggest accolades and whether these are comparable rivalries as we could easily end up with a Rooney v Ronaldo like situation.
:lol:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
That's where I think Lukaku can/will end up. He scored plenty of goals playing for average Everton/West Brom teams, but being the go-to forward for the biggest club in the country might be a little bit too far for him.

Kane will go down as a PL great, but will he go down as more than that? Only time will tell. I've always wondered how Shearer is seen by continental football fans. I mean, he didn't play too much European football, so it's hard to know.
Kane is an interesting one, if he goes to RM and replaces Benzema and goes on to score a lot of goals, wins trophies, who knows?

He could probably already be considered a PL great, what is it 3 or 4 seasons in a row now 20+ goals? Hes 25?

Lukaku as I said im a fan, he cops a lot of flak in the Lukaku thread. Sure some of it deserved, but seems 80% of it is gaff. Hes a good striker, not a great striker as it stands.

shamans

Hang on, you did write:

"Henry Neymar and Gotze had that extra special since a young age. From the start Rashford never showed that sort of ability - the mbappe,Henry or gotze sort."

I still think you're doing Rashford a huge disservice, just look at the sides he has scored against in his career:
Arsenal, Man City (two occasions), Spain (two occasions), Chelsea, EL Semi final, Liverpool. And he's 20 years old. He's not on Mpabbe's level of course, but he's also not a Sunderland level player
I just think despite Rashford incredible start which does deserve a lot of credit, he never showed the ability of Neymar or a true “wonder kid”

With Rashford the question is if he can make it as a starter at man united. With Mbappé it’s if we can be a future ballondor winner.

I will rephrase the Sunderland comment. I’ll say this instead: I won’t be shocked if Rashford is playing for Sunderland 3-4 seasons from now, similar to how they had Defoe. I feel he will be a premier league striker (which all things considered is a big achievement) but am doubtful he is top four quality

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyone think it should really be Mbappe Vs Martial instead? Or is Martial too old now?
No one in the +- 3-4 years bracket comes close to Mbappe at the moment. When he becomes 22/23 he'll most probably be comfortably the best player in the world, especially with Messi/Cristiano fading away.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Anyone think it should really be Mbappe Vs Martial instead? Or is Martial too old now?
Martial has the talent to compete, but his only problem is that talent is such a small part of what makes a great player. Definitely a more apt comparison than with Rashford though.

Mainoldo

So this Marcus Rashford fella. Tuesday should be interesting. You bunch of negative hypocrites.

Schneckerl

If I would be OP I'd hope this thread dies to save me from embarassment, instead he bumps it? Even with Rasford's form, there still the Kane v Lukaku comparison in the title.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
????
Mbappe has 25 goals and 10 assists already this season. That is bordering on Christiano levels if he keeps going
Something something farmer's league something something.

But yeah, even with Rashford's recent form, this is still a ridiculous comparison to be having by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, I think Rashford (or/and Martial) has a chance to upstage Mbappe on Tuesday because PSG is nowhere near full strength and Mbappe is basically the main threat although I could see Di Maria making an impact just to spite United fans.

Stacks

Something something farmer's league something something.

But yeah, even with Rashford's recent form, this is still a ridiculous comparison to be having by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, I think Rashford (or/and Martial) has a chance to upstage Mbappe on Tuesday because PSG is nowhere near full strength and Mbappe is basically the main threat although I could see Di Maria making an impact just to spite United fans.
Yeah we'll beat them, which will not make Rashford or Mbappe the better player based off the one result

Varun

Staff
Mbappe will wish he'd signed for Real or not been born by the time Rashers and Co are done with PSG. :devil:

Mainoldo

????
Mbappe has 25 goals and 10 assists already this season. That is bordering on Christiano levels if he keeps going
Marcus’s 9-6 isn’t bad considering the talent killer he had in Mourinho and the fact he actually plans in a world class league. Yes I said it @Sayros

Steve Bruce

????
Are you seriously using stats from the French league to back up your argument?

I've no issues with the opinion of Mbappe being the better of the two, but comparing French football to English Premier league is a farcical. So the stats are pointless

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Mbappe will wish he'd signed for Real or not been born by the time Rashers and Co are done with PSG. :devil:
:lol: No he will just wish it was him who was injured instead of Cavani when he faces Phil Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.