Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

Lukaku is far from a donkey he is a lethal finisher but he's a bit one dimensional, power and pace is his gift, but he isn't dumb he finds great spaces for balls to be played in behind the line. Of course I'm gonna prefer Kane as he may have s few more strings to his bow but Lukaku is a top striker and I actually think he will get the golden boot this year.
See you prove my point here. He is far from one dimensional, his link up play is amazing and funny how people made a noise about his first touch but it has been pretty decent.

The point is people underrate lukaku vastly. Hopefully he silences many critics this season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kane and Mbappe for me. Though I'd like to see Mbappe in a real competition and even though Kane is better, Lukaku may be just as productive or even more so this year. Just think Kane's ceiling is higher.

Pyro19

Yep. That's the thing with him. He's already a complete, fully formed player. He's already a world class player. Rashford isn't. Dembele i think steals the eye more than Mbappé and his combination of physical and technical tools is mouth watering, if he puts everything together and improves those areas where he needs to improve....but he's still potential, there's no guarantee he will ever get there. Mbappé is already there, that's what sets him apart from the rest of the young uber-talents

On Lukaku and Kane, i think they're both world class strikers, but Kane offers a bit more and can hurt you in more ways. He's also been more consistent than Lukaku, but then Lukaku played for Everton, so we'll have to see what he can be at united
There are so many things wrong with this statement it's mind boggling :houllier:

Mbappe's 18 years old, has had 1 good season on him and he's already the finished product and a world class player? This place loves to take the piss sometimes.

Both Mbappe and Rashford are mercurial talents with the major difference being that Mbappe just had a season where his team made a miracle run to the semifinals where he played a crucial part and is now rightfully in public eyes.

To suggest that he's already the finished product when he's 18 YEARS OLD is a borderline WUM.:lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Don't understand where people think Kane can go with his game?

We know Lukaku is going to improve his first touch, his work rate, his positioning, his hold up play, his overall consistency, probably quite easily and quickly potentially to the point of being the world's best striker as there'll end up simply being nothing he isn't phenomenal at.

Kane may be the overall better player currently but doesn't have that natural slippery close control or pace of Lukaku, nor glaring weaknesses in his game that can be improved on and rapidly. Where is he going to be in 5 years' time in relation?
You talk about Lukaku as if he's some "young and learnin" kid, when actually he's a few months older than Kane.

So why is Lukaku "probably easily and quickly" going to improve, whilst Kane has already (you seem to imply) reached his peak?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Better passer, better first touch too.
Also works harder (closes down players as part of the press) and has more relentless drive and energy, more sheer will to win and dedication to becoming ever better.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Currently I will rate Kane ahead of Lukaku by millimeters margin. I dunno the reason exactly, but I would.
As for Mbappe vs Rashford, come on that is not fair to Rashford. Mbappe currently is looking like a generational talent, someone who can be a legit best player or best in his position, type of player.

OL29

Also works harder (closes down players as part of the press) and has more relentless drive and energy, more sheer will to win and dedication to becoming ever better.
This is alll very subjective. In fact I've seen Lukaku praised for his will to improve numerous times and the evidence is there for all to see when he steps on the pitch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kane vs Lukaku - both are at a similar level I think, both are really fantastic strikers. Kane though I feel is the better player at present, both are superb goal scorers but I feel that Kane has more to his game and is more influential.

M'bappe vs Rashford - I'm a huge Rashford fan and think he is a massive talent so I think this is a closer one than others have suggested. M'bappe yes looks excellent but for me the jury is still out on him as he has only really had half a season of top performances. Personally I'd rather have Rashford right now (I say this as a Spurs fan) because I have more evidence to draw upon and I think he is great. M'Bappe, if he improves or maintains the performances of the second half of next season could overtake him but it's not a certainty at all.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Bit of a ridiculous thread tbh.

Kane is clearly more well rounded.

As for Mbappe vs Rashford, only a United fan with rose-tinted glasses on would even begin to discuss that.

Edit: scratch that, the Spurs fan right above me said he would prefer Rashford :houllier:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There are so many things wrong with this statement it's mind boggling :houllier:

Mbappe's 18 years old, has had 1 good season on him and he's already the finished product and a world class player? This place loves to take the piss sometimes.

Both Mbappe and Rashford are mercurial talents with the major difference being that Mbappe just had a season where his team made a miracle run to the semifinals where he played a crucial part and is now rightfully in public eyes.

To suggest that he's already the finished product when he's 18 YEARS OLD is a borderline WUM.:lol:
No it isn't. Watch him play. There are no holes to his game. He does everything at a very high level, his decision making is great, his ability to play within the game is great, movement off the ball is great, composure, physicality, technique, he's got everything already. The only thing separating him from being seen as one of the best players in the world is game time, but there's no reason to think his performances for PSG this season will be any different from his performances for Monaco.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
See you prove my point here. He is far from one dimensional, his link up play is amazing and funny how people made a noise about his first touch but it has been pretty decent.

The point is people underrate lukaku vastly. Hopefully he silences many critics this season.
I haven't underrated him at all I've said he is a top striker and will probably score more goals than Kane this season. IMO his link up play is good and seems better than it was at Everton, where he was a little lazy at times. Stepping up he will hopefully put in more effort.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Is it, really?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No it isn't. Watch him play. There are no holes to his game. He does everything at a very high level, his decision making is great, his ability to play within the game is great, movement off the ball is great, composure, physicality, technique, he's got everything already. The only thing separating him from being seen as one of the best players in the world is game time, but there's no reason to think his performances for PSG this season will be any different from his performances for Monaco.
This. For those who doubt Mbappe, just watch him play, he is just like Henry at his prime, totally worldclass, and he is only 18, which is amazing.

Schneckerl

Merely pointing out that Rashford has made a very encouraging start to the season.
Rashford sure has the potential to become a great player, but Mbappe is really special.

The arguments people use to discredit his performance last year are ridiculous. Extremely well developed game for his age, watching him play makes it obvious that it's not just a product of luck and circumstances.

Do you believe that literally every top club in the world is full of incompetent buffoons who sign players based on mainstream hype only?
Why was everyone willing to bid an insane sum of money for him?

Mbappe was well know before the 16/17 season, City wanted to buy him.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Rashford sure has the potential to become a great player, but Mbappe is really special.

The arguments people use to discredit his performance last year are ridiculous. Extremely well developed game for his age, watching him play makes it obvious that it's not just a product of luck and circumstances.

Do you believe that literally every top club in the world is full of incompetent buffoons who sign players based on mainstream hype only?
Why was everyone willing to bid an insane sum of money for him?

Mbappe was well know before the 16/17 season, City wanted to buy him.
You don't think Rashford wouldn't cost a £150m if he was playing for Dortmund or Monaco?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yea it is pretty good. The amount of shit he received on his link up play is looking absurd considering he has done a pretty decent job.
From amazing to pretty decent. Okay then.

Icemav

Kane is about the most uninspiring good player I have ever seen. But he scores goals. But really he and Romelu are similar level but I like the attributes Lu brings.

For the youngers.... Rashford has been compared to Kluivert, Mbappe to Cristiano. Slightly lazy comparisons but it adequately sums it up.

fellaini's barber

You don't think Rashford wouldn't cost a £150m if he was playing for Dortmund or Monaco?
Nope, if Rashford was at Monaco he'd be on their bench behind Mbappe actually and no one would be talking about him. The only place on earth you'd find anybody comparing Rashford to Mbappe is on a United forum

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Nope, if Rashford was at Monaco he'd be on their bench behind Mbappe actually and no one would be talking about him. The only place on earth you'd find anybody comparing Rashford to Mbappe is on a United forum
It's like Januzaj vs Sterling all over again!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's like Januzaj vs Sterling all over again!
You bumped a yesterday's thread just because you wanted to put in this expert opinion? Good luck in the newbies.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
You bumped a yesterday's thread just because you wanted to put in this expert opinion? Good luck in the newbies.
I've a life. I only saw the alerts when I logged in just now. I couldn't care less about newbies.

You must feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you've amassed 40k posts in an internet forum!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I've a life. I only saw the alerts when I logged in just now. I couldn't care less about newbies.

You must feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you've amassed 40k posts in an internet forum!
That's hitting where it hurts. My internet post count.

FattyFooty

Like majority seems to say here, ill go: Kane is better, but Lukaku is very top player himself.

The Rashford love here is getting too much, which also leads dissapointment. He is not at the level of : Jesus, Dembele, Mbappe thoose guys are miles ahead.
We got Rash from our own youth academy tho, which is great.

Schneckerl

Maybe +€100m as last minute signing by Barcelona after they lost Neymar.
Many clubs wanted to buy Mbappe for a world record fee months before that €222M transfer happened.

Big difference.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'd say Lukaku vs Kane is closer than Mbappe vs Rashford at the moment but Kane and Mbappe are the better players in my opinion. Lukaku's improving though - could have had a couple of assists today and you can tell he wants to improve in all areas.

AkaAkuma&

Adds nothing to the discussion
Is this thread even real??? WTF?? Kane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lukaku
Mbappe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rashford. End of discussion.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It's not even a debate for me, numbers and performances clearly suggest who are the better players.

Although I feel bad for Lukaku, you watch Spurs and you see raft of chances they create for Kane every match. He averages like 7-8 shots per match and then you have Lukaku, I can't even recall a solitary chance we created for him today. That was when Leicester clearly had no interest in defending and had their main CB up top while being a man down. His output will improve a lot if we start playing to his strengths, i.e. playing him behind or putting good crosses.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Kane and Mbappe will be better than Lukaku and Rashford now and for the rest of their careers pretty comfortably. It's a little unfair really to make these comparisons, neither is really that close even though Rashford and Lukaku are still really good players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappé might already be better than Lukaku, and Lukaku is great

Nevermind Kane, he's one of the 5 best players in the world right now.

But if we're judging 2017 performances... Mbappé make make the top 10 himself. At the very least he's right there. Even if you want to take his PSG start alone, it's hard to think of 20-25 players who've been better than him so far this season

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not even a debate for me, numbers and performances clearly suggest who are the better players.

Although I feel bad for Lukaku, you watch Spurs and you see raft of chances they create for Kane every match. He averages like 7-8 shots per match and then you have Lukaku, I can't even recall a solitary chance we created for him today. That was when Leicester clearly had no interest in defending and had their main CB up top while being a man down. His output will improve a lot if we start playing to his strengths, i.e. playing him behind or putting good crosses.
TBH many of Kane’s chances are not ‘created’ for him, he manages to fashion shots himself out of nothing.

Also, better players are often easier to create for, it’s not all solely down to teammates.

Hamadovich86

Kane is better than Lukaku who himself is a very good striker with a proven PL record. Mbappe is vastly superior to Rashford at the moment and he'll only get better. Not only are the numbers on his side he is actually much more mature than Rashford is despite being younger. Hes a better passer of the ball and creates chances and provides assists for his teammates something Rashford is struggling to do.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Kane is better than Lukaku who himself is a very good striker with a proven PL record. Mbappe is vastly superior to Rashford at the moment and he'll only get better. Not only are the numbers on his side he is actually much more mature than Rashford is despite being younger. Hes a better passer of the ball and creates chances and provides assists for his teammates something Rashford is struggling to do.
All while playing on the right wing mostly, a position that is the least familiar for him out of the front 3. This is why I think players can still perform to a very decent to good level even if they're asked to play in a position that isn't their most favorite.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't think there's that much between rashford and mbappe this year tbh. Certainly closer than last year.

Kane is comfortably better than lukaku though.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Don't think there's that much between rashford and mbappe this year tbh. Certainly closer than last year.

Kane is comfortably better than lukaku though.
I don't think you've seen much of Mbappé this year, he's been freakishly amazing. He even looks better than he was last year. I'd even say he's been better than Kane and Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.