Memphis Depay 2.0 as no. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully Weghorst has arrived, meaning mediocre Memphis have next to no chance of arriving here. I don’t understand people fascination with him, he failed the first time and is a mediocre player.
There is some mad irony here

Hailing Weghorst while at the same time shitting on Memphis when in reality they’re probably at the same level ability wise

There is some mad irony here

Hailing Weghorst while at the same time shitting on Memphis when in reality they’re probably at the same level ability wise
The thing is Weghorst is a stop gap and likely to play as a super sub, as LVG used him. People here were claiming for mediocre Memphis on a permanent deal and for him to be a starter.

The thing is Weghorst is a stop gap and likely to play as a super sub, as LVG used him. People here were claiming for mediocre Memphis on a permanent deal and for him to be a starter.

Literally have not seen any of this in this thread once :lol:

His name was always floated as a decent stop-gap option to counterbalance Martial's injury proneness. Nothing more, nothing less

Surely we could have found that if Erik really wanted him as cover for Martial
Thankfully ETH knows best than to waste any kind of money on a player that is mediocrity incarnated. Even 3 million is excessive for such a lackluster player.

Thankfully ETH knows best than to waste any kind of money on a player that is mediocrity incarnated. Even 3 million is excessive for such a lackluster player.

Agreed, would've added nothing. Much happier with Wout who offers something different and who bar his stint at Burnley, has performed well everywhere he's been.

We beat Liverpool to sign him in 2015 and then they went for Firmino. They're probably forever grateful :lol:

If he would have had his head on straight right away and focused on footie more, and be less injury prone I honestly think he could retire as a player touching just a notch below superstar. One of those players who can be electric. Then again, "only" 30 - could still set the world alight somewhere else for a few years.

Statistically he is impressive, but he also benefited a lot from the natl team being without world class strikers for a while.

Memphis Martial Antony front 3? :drool:

Just imagine that. I wonder how long you’d have to go to actually score a goal. As a thought experiment I could actually see that front three playing a whole season together and not amassing more than 5-10 leagues goals between them.

Just imagine that. I wonder how long you’d have to go to actually score a goal. As a thought experiment I could actually see that front three playing a whole season together and not amassing more than 5-10 leagues goals between them.

A Martial + Memphis both starting situation would be as rare as an eclipse. Both will be injured most of the time but when one is fit the other is still going to be injured.

Memphis under Jurgen Klopp would be immense. Firmino also flopped under Rodgers.

Immense is a hell of a stretch. He might have been serviceable. He has his qualities but for a player of his build, he either had to be explosive or have superb technique. He never had either. And because of that he was always really easy to nullify. He’s a solid player who is actually fairly decent at most aspects of the game, but he has no standout qualities at all - other than having a cracking beach bod - and because of that he was only ever going to excel in a league below the best.

If he had played all of his career in France, Holland turkey, or Portugal, he’d have racked up some really good numbers and quite a reputation. But you can just see from his stints in England and Spain that he didn’t have the quality to be a difference maker at the top end of the game.

When he came to United as a young lad he really needed to take that opportunity to significantly develop his game and take that next step on in his evolution. I don’t know if he just wasn’t good enough to do that or if there was an attitude issue, but for whatever reason he just wasn’t able or willing to kick on.

And with Weghorst as the supersub, what couldn’t be acheived?

And with Weghorst as the supersub, what couldn’t be acheived?

Supersub? Hell no. Start him in the hole behind that electric front three. Amrabat and McTominay anchoring behind. We’d end the season with McTomiinay as our top scorer on 6.

A Martial + Memphis both starting situation would be as rare as an eclipse. Both will be injured most of the time but when one is fit the other is still going to be injured.

That’s why it’s a thought experiment, and obviously tongue in cheek. No manager would be insane enough to even try that front three on a regular basis, let alone injuries permitting it.

Its just sad though when you look at the stats for their career Memphis is leaps and bounds ahead of the other two:

Martial:
Total Appearances: 392
Total Goals: 98
Total Assists: 53

Memphis:
Total Appearances: 419
Total Goals: 152
Total Assists: 92

Anthony:
Total Appearances: 156
Total Goals: 37
Total Assists: 32

Considering Martial probably played most consistently as CF that arguably makes him look the worst of the lot.

He actually hasn't played many full games for Barcelona and Atletico. He's played 4200 minutes which is the equivalent of about 42/43 games, and has 27 goals. That's pretty good.

I'd probably take him on a free. Feel like he gets the piss taken out of him and he gets written off because it seemed like his head wasn't screwed on when he was younger. He also has 46 goals in 56 appearances for the Dutch national team since 2018

Edit: Didn't realise how frequently he's been injured in the last few years. Probably not worth a punt in that case. However honestly fair play to him for making something of his career after being let go by United and going to the French league. If he wasn't held back by regular injuries now he would probably be considered a very good goal scorer at the top level

Last edited:
Its just sad though when you look at the stats for their career Memphis is leaps and bounds ahead of the other two:

Martial:

Memphis:

Anthony:

Considering Martial probably played most consistently as CF that arguably makes him look the worst of the lot.

The only context here, and I feel like this is arguing about which shit is the shiniest, is that Martial scored 77% of his club goals in a top tier league. Whereas both Depay and Antony scored only 17% of their goals in what would be considered a top tier league (England and Spain). The rest of their goals came in Holland, France, and Brazil.

I didn’t bother working it out for assists because, again, it feels like arguing over which turd is the best turd.

Martial:

Memphis:

Anthony:

Young pre injuries Martial made Premier League defenders look bad and ended a season as the Manchester United top scorer. He would have destroyed the Eredivisie if he played in it. Memphis scored 22 goals in his last PSV season and hardly scored when he joined Manchester United. There is a big difference. Martial his peak ended before he even reached his peak age but he was the best out of those three players.

Why are they letting him go?
As a back up option he surely can't be too bad
How much is he on at Atletico?

Status
Not open for further replies.