Memphis Depay 2.0 as no. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have signed him before going to Barcelona. No point now, even if we need numbers, no point having another injury prone player.

It's a pity he just didn't have the maturity when he was here the first time.

I would have chosen to keep Depay instead of Martial. He was a top player for PSV and Lyon.

I would have chosen to keep Depay instead of Martial. He was a top player for PSV and Lyon.
At the time Martial was a much better player. There was no way of knowing how much and how quickly Martial would decline

There was a piece of skill he did in that match that still astounds me.
I remember his 2 goals vs Brugge and I proudly proclaimed at half time that he was the second coming of Ronaldo/Robben/Ronaldinho combined into one Dutch winger. He was electric that night.

At the time Martial was a much better player. There was no way of knowing how much and how quickly Martial would decline

I don't think Martial was a better player, I just think he adapted better to the Premier League and had a much better first season. Depay had two wondefull seasons with PSV, before moving to Manchester, spend a bad one and half year here, move to Lyon and had four great years there. One good season with Barcelona too. We should have been more patient with him like we do with worse players.

I don't think Martial was a better player, I just think he adapted better to the Premier League and had a much better first season. Depay had two wondefull seasons with PSV, before moving to Manchester, spend a bad one and half year here, move to Lyon and had four great years there. One good season with Barcelona too. We should have been more patient with him like we do with worse players.
That’s just speaking from hindsight.

I remember his 2 goals vs Brugge and I proudly proclaimed at half time that he was the second coming of Ronaldo/Robben/Ronaldinho combined into one Dutch winger. He was electric that night.
He did did have an amazing game!

And how did the rest of his time at United go?

We actually have members of the United fanbase that wants to bin off Bruno and bring this guy back. Unreal.

He's useless, awful mentality and exactly what we don't need in that changing room.
Summed up by him today. Arrogant twit wearing a headband like he needs to stand out. His ego is scoring goals his feet can't score.
Awful player. Everything that's wrong with players in modern football he's the poster boy for.

Summed up by him today. Arrogant twit wearing a headband like he needs to stand out. His ego is scoring goals his feet can't score.
Awful player. Everything that's wrong with players in modern football he's the poster boy for.

That headband dominated our national news last week....

I dont mind someone wearing a head band but ofcourse it is Memphis who put it on a minute before the friendly started. By doing so he became the focus of all attention yet again.

Its like that Rooney quote above. He just always does something that puts all attention and focus on himself.

Depay gives so much opportunity to rightfully criticize him as a player. And some people choose to criticize him for wearing a fecking head band. How stupid do you want to be?

I did cringe seeing that headband. Glad he's gone! Ha, I've never seen that Rooney quote about him turning up in the reserves in a Rolls and Cow Boy hat! But can completely imagine it. Shame we haven't got more players like Jude coming through. Although saying that Mainoo looks quite mature and less flashy.

Awful player. Netherlands must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel if Depay and Weghorst are the best they can come up with in terms of forwards.

The likes of RvP, RvN, van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp must be so disappointed watching these pretenders carrying their legacy.

He's got a strange little following for a player who really just failed here.
Absolutely. I mean, we have literal first hand experience in him not being good enough and it's not like he's exactly gone anywhere else and proven that notion to be wrong (albeit he had much improved spells elsewhere - Lyon comes to mind). Decent enough player but that's about it.

Awful player. Netherlands must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel if Depay and Weghorst are the best they can come up with in terms of forwards.

The likes of RvP, RvN, van Basten and Dennis Bergkamp must be so disappointed watching these pretenders carrying their legacy.

They go through some boom and bust cycles in terms of national talent and this is likely the leanest they’ve been in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.