Memphis Depay | Atletico player

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
8 goals in 19 games (according to transfermarkt) this season. Not bad, not great though especially when you're the main man for Barcelona.
True, also wouldnt say he is ripping it apart, but almost al near wins are because of him.. He is indeed their mean man upfront, but that doesnt make it easier for him I reckon..
- He has no support from the wings, with the absence of Dembele and Fati.. The likes of Demir Balde Dest Gavi and Frenkie coming from the wings often.
- No other attacker is really drawing attention from the opponnents defense. If they mark Depay well, you are well on your way of keeping Barca from scoring.
- He plays with a midfield behind him which are awesome in position play but hardly have penetrating threat, Nico, Gavi, Frenkie, Pedri, Busquets..

To be fair I dont know where the guys gets his assits from.. He has to do it mostly by himself while he is the one to watch for the opponent.. In a completely new team and environment..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Winning goal yesterday again.. anyone saying he isnt doing well or is underperfoming at Barca is far off in my book.

Cant be easy be their only attacking threat for the majority of the season so far.. With his share of important goals he is definitely delivering..
He's doing fine statistically, but he was fecking shocking yesterday. Especially missing the sitter that Frenkie so beautifully gifted him.

Once Barca find some money, he's gone in an instant.

Classical Mechanic

A lot of those games the others forwards were Dest and Luuk de Jong, who bottled chance after chance.
Memphis could have had 10 more assists (and maybe some goals as well) if he was playing with Dan James and Benteke.
Looking at his chance creation would be a better metric to see how well he's done.
He has 2 assists and his xA is 3.2. The biggest over performance of A-xA is Trejo with +4, next is Benzema with +2.7. It would be more reasonable to say he could have 2 or 3 more assists based on the numbers in La Liga this season. 10 more assists would put his A-xA at +8.8 so is fanciful.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's doing fine statistically, but he was fecking shocking yesterday. Especially missing the sitter that Frenkie so beautifully gifted him.

Once Barca find some money, he's gone in an instant.
They're gonna need to find an awful lot of money before he's their main problem. That defence is utterly appalling.

tomaldinho1

Winning goal yesterday again.. anyone saying he isnt doing well or is underperfoming at Barca is far off in my book.

Cant be easy be their only attacking threat for the majority of the season so far.. With his share of important goals he is definitely delivering..
He’s kind of doing how everyone expected. Had some poor games, should have more goals but generally been ‘good’ in that he’s a ‘good’ player. I still think he’ll hit 20+ goals without injuries which is maybe more an indicator of the fall of La Liga than Depay suddenly becoming a prolific striker.

Idxomer

He has scored 5 open goals in 1695 minutes, that's a goal every 393 minutes. He hasn't scored in the CL so far. Some people in this thread were talking like he became this great player we shouldn't have sold.

If he ever moves back to the PL, he would be lucky to score 10 goals a season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He has scored 5 open goals in 1695 minutes, that's a goal every 393 minutes. He hasn't scored in the CL so far. Some people in this thread were talking like he became this great player we shouldn't have sold.

If he ever moves back to the PL, he would be lucky to score 10 goals a season.
Do penalties not count in the PL?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He wouldn't get any of the penalties he got this season in the PL.
How is that even relevant. Teams in the PL get plenty of penalties. Scored penalties are goals too. Even if won by a dive. What's next, tap ins don't count either?

Not saying Utd should get him back mind you. I think he's average.

Idxomer

How is that even relevant. Teams in the PL get plenty of penalties. Scored penalties are goals too. Even if won by a dive. What's next, tap ins don't count either?

Not saying Utd should get him back mind you. I think he's average.
Not this season, they don't. Penalties are also not the only reason he won't score many goals in the PL.

A lot of those games the others forwards were Dest and Luuk de Jong, who bottled chance after chance.
Memphis could have had 10 more assists (and maybe some goals as well) if he was playing with Dan James and Benteke.
Looking at his chance creation would be a better metric to see how well he's done.
Your dutch bias is ridiculous:lol:

Canagel

8 goals in 19 games (according to transfermarkt) this season. Not bad, not great though especially when you're the main man for Barcelona.
It's a good return when you consider there has not been much help in attack. Aguero, Dembele, Fati injuries/illnesses have not been helpful. If you partner him with more dynamic runners he can be even better

Last edited:

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Free agent signing, 20 goals per season, isn't injured like rest of Barca attack. Honestly Barca fans should accept what they have and stop attacking him so much.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Your dutch bias is ridiculous:lol:
Because I don't rate Dest and Luuk de Jong, or because I'm trying put Memphis' performances in context?

I don't understand :(

I saw some of the games under Koeman and Memphis would deliver them the easiest tap ins possible and they just kept missing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Because I don't rate Dest and Luuk de Jong, or because I'm trying put Memphis' performances in context?

I don't understand :(

I saw some of the games under Koeman and Memphis would deliver them the easiest tap ins possible and they just kept missing.
I bet you sleep in orange pyjamas you Dutch fecker. Go eat a tulpenbol.

Robbie Boy

Watched the game last night and he was generally poor. Took his goal well, but missed some good chances throughout the game.

Schneckerl

His statline in the game today
vs Real Betis
0 Goal
0 Assist
0 Shots
0 Successful dribbles
20 Times lost possession

Truly remarkable accomplishment

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
But he's changed we kept hearing. Only those who watched stats instead of the actual football matches were saying that shit.

pascell

I said it when they signed him, he's just an FFP exercise for them. If he can show a little bit of his Ligue 1 form for Barca then they've hit the jackpot as they'll make £25-30m off him in the summer, probably to someone like Newcastle.

He always has been a style over substance player and nothing surprises me when I see comments that he's been dreadful for Barca.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah I'm sure Barca are desperate to sell their top scorer who's on 100k/w :lol:

He's a false 9 playing CL games with Luuk de Jong, Dest and Braithwaite as the other forwards. You'd have to be world class to score/assist with those.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah I'm sure Barca are desperate to sell their top scorer who's on 100k/w :lol:

He's a false 9 playing CL games with Luuk de Jong, Dest and Braithwaite as the other forwards. You'd have to be world class to score/assist with those.
He's scored 8 goals, 3 of which were penalties. He's also playing games with Dembele who's quite good, he should be doing better and that's a sentiment shared by the Barcelona fans. Fati has scored 4 in 8, Dembele has 8 in 21, it's appalling really.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Whatever money Griezmann was on, letting him go to Atletico looking like a massive mistake by Barca.

They'll finish where they are now, 7th or 8th best case scenario and go nowhere in the cups with Memphis leading the line! Not only his fault though, team of kids and over the hill veterans.

Stacks

I mean Haaland scored with worse playing for Salzburg and many others have played and scored with worse. this is an awful excuse

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I mean Haaland scored with worse playing for Salzburg and many others have played and scored with worse. this is an awful excuse
Haaland is world class, Memphis isn't as I mentioned.

He's scored 8 goals, 3 of which were penalties. He's also playing games with Dembele who's quite good, he should be doing better and that's a sentiment shared by the Barcelona fans. Fati has scored 4 in 8, Dembele has 8 in 21, it's appalling really.
He's played like 2 games with Dembele including one against Bayern fecking Munich in Germany. That game is a bigger write off than Swindon playing City. You're aware both Dembele and Fati are crocks and have barely played?

Bringing up the sentiment by Barca fans, they're known for their objectivity :lol:

Memphis is performing at his level. He's a good false 9, probably in the top 20 in the world in the CF position. He can create/score from a moment of brilliance, he can also lose possession 30 times two games in a row and not do anything as he's shown the last two games and during the Euros.

I don't think you're aware of how shit Dest, Braithwaite and Luuk de Jong are. Dest was Ajax's second RB, now playing as a winger, Luuk de Jong spent a whole year on Sevilla's bench and Braithwaite wouldn't look special in the championship.

He has 8 goals and 2 assists in 15 games playing with that dross in a midtable La Liga team. If you expect more, that's fine, but then you're assuming Memphis is world class, he's not. Messi had 10 goals and 5 assists this time last year and that was with a slightly better squad.