Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Ekeke

I don't even mind those that think he is arrogant or too flashy.
My problem is that the same people that talk him down because he is doing well in a not very great Ligue 1 having failed here, are the same people that big up two players that have done next to nothing outside the Eredivisie. The Dutch Eredivisie.
I do see your point but at the same time they are younger players doing well in the champions league against decent teams. Depay had his best outings against Hoffenheim rather than City, where Fekir stole the show

Mcking

I do see your point but at the same time they are younger players doing well in the champions league against decent teams. Depay had his best outings against Hoffenheim rather than City, where Fekir stole the show
They have had one good game against a poor Bayern Munich. The others were against Benfica and AEK Athens. Few even try to mention the Eredesivie while hyping up de Jong and de Ligt, unlike Depay who some seem to be using the Ligue 1 as a stick to beat him.

Member 93275

They have had one good game against a poor Bayern Munich. The others were against Benfica and AEK Athens. Few even try to mention the Eredesivie while hyping up de Jong and de Ligt, unlike Depay who some seem to be using the Ligue 1 as a stick to beat him.
If you want to moan about the Eredivisie, fine, but it weakens your point if you're going to talk down the CL and international matches.

People just watch them. De Ligt's talent is obvious, he is quick, strong and reads the game well. He would need to step up with a move but he looks well above Eredivisie level now.
It's also obvious Depay hasn't improved on some of his main problem areas when he was last here; his poor touch and tendency to overrun himself with the ball. In Ligue 1 defenders are more forgiving but its obvious he still does it.

It's nothing to do with overrating or underrating the leagues they play in.

Stacks

I don't even mind those that think he is arrogant or too flashy.
My problem is that the same people that talk him down because he is doing well in a not very great Ligue 1 having failed here, are the same people that big up two players that have done next to nothing outside the Eredivisie. The Dutch Eredivisie.
Is it the same people though?

Mcking

If you want to moan about the Eredivisie, fine, but it weakens your point if you're going to talk down the CL and international matches.

I acknowledge that they were good in the nations league games, but Depay wasn't bad in those games too. They have played AEK athens, Benfica and a poor Bayern in the UCL. I am not trying to say that de Jong and de Ligt are not good - I really like de Jong, what I'm saying is that Depay's performances are being talked down because he is playing in a not very good Ligue 1 and that he only performs against weak teams, despite the fact the highly rated de Jong and de Ligt play in a much worse league.

Mcking

People just watch them. De Ligt's talent is obvious, he is quick, strong and reads the game well. He would need to step up with a move but he looks well above Eredivisie level now.
It's also obvious Depay hasn't improved on some of his main problem areas when he was last here; his poor touch and tendency to overrun himself with the ball. In Ligue 1 defenders are more forgiving but its obvious he still does it.

It's nothing to do with overrating or underrating the leagues they play in.
Depay do have some flaws, but he was very good when he was playing in the Eredivisie too. Because he didn't make it in the EPL does not mean he has found his level in Ligue 1, which is pretty much the problem here.

Depay do have some flaws, but he was very good when he was playing in the Eredivisie too. Because he didn't make it in the EPL does not mean he has found his level in Ligue 1, which is pretty much the problem here.
He has found his level in Lique 1 though, or at least he is not a PL level player. He has an inconsistent touch and he tends to take the ball too far away from him when he dribbles. In Ligue 1 he is not closed down as quickly and he has a bit more space to run into. He has improved parts of his game but that area seems the same to me, and that's the reason he failed in England. PL midfielders and defenders could get the ball off him or steer him away from danger far too easily - it was exactly the same against City the other week.

Last edited:

Mcking

He has found his level in Lique 1 though, or at least he is not a PL level player. He has an inconsistent touch and he tends to take the ball too far away from him when he dribbles. In Ligue 1 he is not closed down as quickly and he has a bit more space to run into. He has improved parts of his game but that area seems the same to me, and that's the reason he failed in England. PL midfielders and defenders could get the ball off him or steer him away from danger far too easily.
That is not the only reason he failed here.

Saccharine

As good as he has been here in France, I don't see him making the transition to a better league yet.
As some said I don't think he has improved that much on the technical side of his game but here he plays with confidence.
Plus Lyon are not expected to win anything with PSG crushing any form of competition. So there is less pressure on him.
Same with the Netherlands who are in a rebuilding process.

NLunited

He has everything he needs to succeed except for mental balance. He has a complicated personality that needs to be managed well, which Koeman seems to be doing as well as the manager at Lyon.

That he didn't succeed the first time in the bpl doesn't mean he can't ever. Salah, de Bruijne anyone?

The guy works his butt off and deserves to succeed at the highest level.

Gibb11

im 27 and maybe old fashioned in my thought process here but it's embarrassing seeing that video that he was a Manchester United player...

He just comes across as wannabe, so cringeworthy. Maybe cringeworthy is just the best word to describe this actually

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Good on him.

I miss the days when footballers made music. More should do it.

Imagine a world without Diamond Lights, without Outstanding, without Fog on the Tyne.

They get to do something they love, I get to laugh at them. Everyone wins.

haram

I can imagine he probably thought he was a superstar as soon as he got the United move. At least he looks hungry these days.

Stadjer

:lol:

It is so bad... what is wrong with footballers nowadays anyway? They all want to be a brand, a rapper or do online social media challenges. Beckham was famous outside football too but atleast he wasnt cringe.

Roy Keane wouldnt allow any of this!

TsuWave

:lol: Imagine being a loser on an internet forum jealous that a young guy is a better footballer, rapper, and has better fashion sense than you.
Facts. Dude has accomplished more than 95% of this forum ever will and he’s out here having fun. I’m sure he’s not sweating what some middle aged weirdos on the internet find “cringe” (who even says cringe anymore)

PepsiCola

Yeah but when people were saying that he's behaving like a washed-up rapper they were called racists.

Cringe.
Because it is racist.

I've seen it used for Pogba, Fosu and Depay on this forum.

Correlation - they're all black.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Because it is racist.

I've seen people compare Lukaku to Drogba, Heung Min Son to Park, and now Howe to Moyes... It's just laziness IMO.

That wasn't too bad actually, hopefully he keeps progressing on the pitch he has the potential to be a Top 4 player for sure.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Stupid twat, I’m glad he doesn’t play for us anymore, he’s an embarrassment. Sick of these bloody wannabe rapper footballers. Get your head down and concentrate on your football you fcuking posers, stop all this “doin’ It for the ‘gram” bullshit and focus on the job at hand.

Silas

Stupid twat, I’m glad he doesn’t play for us anymore, he’s an embarrassment. Sick of these bloody wannabe rapper footballers. Get your head down and concentrate on your football you fcuking posers, stop all this “doin’ It for the ‘gram” bullshit and focus on the job at hand.
Embarrassment how?

Canagel

What's his football got to do with his social life?

TsuWave

embarrassing is being 14 points off the leaders and with a negative goal difference.

Depay is playing extremely well by all accounts.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
:lol: Imagine being a loser on an internet forum jealous that a young guy is a better footballer, rapper, and has better fashion sense than you.
His fashion sense is horrible. He's a good footballer playing at Lyon. His rapping is shit.

He needs to be called out.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Because it is racist.

Not racist.

If he was white people would say things like 'drink culture' or another Gazza, or spice boy etc.

Race had nothing to do with this.

We see a failed United player having success in the french league and parading around like some playboy.

feck off Memphis. You could get away with that if you played for PSG but you couldn't even get in that side.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
:lol::lol:
Good player but he’s nowhere as good as he thinks he is. Hard to imagine him making it at a top club, there’s just too many personalities who wouldn’t take kindly to stuff like this, regardless of it had nothing to do with his ability.