g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Memphis Depay | PSV confirm deal with Man Utd is agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammydodger7

Ozil's been the best player in the league since Xmas, if you're looking for 'paid way over the odds' I'd stop closer to home with Di Maria. Welbeck cost less than Falcao's loan fee, guess who did better out of those transactions?
I don't know which statement is worse :lol::lol::lol::lol:

prarek

This lad looks quality to me. Although i hope we don't break the bank for him.

NL Max (PSV fan) on Memphis

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Its rare that I say this, but @Kevin your idea to threadmark Max' posts is a good one. I'll do that in a bit. Any notable ones you/anyone'd like threadmarking especially?
How about this one ;)

I'm biased (obviously) but I've watched his games ever since they've been broadcasted, so this includes youth matches. This must be around 4 years now.

Memphis Depay (call him Memphis) - 21 - right footed - 176CM - left winger (hasn't played anywhere else - no he's not suitable to play as a striker)

Memphis grew up having a tough youth. His father was never there for him (that's why he doesn't like 'Depay') and he was closer with his mother and grandfather, the latter has passed away. He grew up hanging out on the streets, doing petty crimes, skipping school and all that. When he got his first pro-contract at PSV he tattoo'd 'succesfull' on the inside of his lower lip. He seemed to care more about money and fame than football. He had personal problems.

He got over his mentality issues. This started back when van Gaal brought him to the national team when he was 19 and only just became a regular starter. This meant alot to him since van Gaal could've chosen many different wingers, after he was called up he seemed much more focussed. He didn't show off money anymore, cut connections with bad influences, he hired professionals for his personal life and had an enormous drive to become better. He got over all his problems in no time. He called van Gaal an important man in his life, but his overcoming of problems won't be all down to van Gaal mind - I'm sure he had a hand in it though.

Van Gaal likes to work with young players, he also has his 'totale mens principe'. He cares about his player and his office door is open 24/7 for a talk which doesn't have to be related to football. He wants his players to be happy, he thinks they'll perform better this way. Hugo Borst says van Gaal is like a father figure to him. I'm not sure if this is true because I don't rate Borst that highly, but it could be, especially since Memphis has no father in his life anymore since his grandfather passed away.

He's now got the perfect drive. He knows he has talent and wants to work to reach the top. He's the first to enter the club and the last to leave, he could've went to Tottenham last season but he didn't. He stayed for his own good (he never played a full season before the worldcup, this is his first) and because he wanted to become champion first - he's delivered. He has a very specific plan what he's still got to improve on and is very clearly doing so, he's a perfectionist.

At a very young age he already had the perfect body. He's very strong and rarely gets pushed off the ball. This is great for a 21 year old winger. He's an explosive player: he's got great acceleration but isn't a speedster like Bale over a long distance. Not slow by any margins though, his father was Ghanaian after all...

In the last 1,5 years he's improving his overal game at a stunning rate. In the beginning he always did a Robben - cut inside and shoot. He's got a fantastic shot with his right - his main asset. He can strike a ball very hard and can score from any distance, not joking. Has a great freekick too: he strikes the ball hard and can curve it. He does use his left foot more often (he was very 1 footed at first) but it isn't great yet.

He's becoming a real team player now, he's completely changed his style of play. He's very direct, whatever is needed to score a goal he will try to do. He can use tricks to get past a few defenders and shoot, he can cross/pass or go for a combination with his teammates. He tries to seek the best solution in every scenario and doesn't go for his own glory anymore. This is the thing he needs to work on the most (decision making) but at the same time it's the thing he's improved the most already in the last 2 years.

If he thinks he can beat what's in front of him he will try to do so. He usually goes for it with 1 defender in front of him, when there's more he usually seeks a better solution. I find his new direct style of play hard to compare with any other player, the one that comes closest is Ronaldo.

He learned to score headers this season, he never scored those before. His crosses with his left generally come in the right area but aren't great. He has an eye for a tap-in too and already has the nasty habit to score when he hasn't been playing well.

His weakest points are his decision making (and execution) and backtracking. They aren't subpar though. He doesn't need to defend as much at PSV so I can't really say much about it, he's done it very well vs Spain and Zenit though. His final ball (when he isn't going for goal himself) can be dissapointing, but he's spotting his teammates. He still needs to work on this, spotting them is 1, but making sure the ball reaches his teammates is 2. If he can improve this he will be an all-rounded winger who can do everything. This is the final step (and probably the biggest one) he needs to take. If his overall contribution keeps improving like it has in the last 2 years, in 4 years time he'll be worldclass (no bias).

If you followed him he is so blatantly obvious ironing out all the weak parts of his game. Therefore I think he really is a special talent. He's got everything you look for: great shot, physicality, mentality, flair, speed, hard working and a real team player.

I'm sure van Gaal is the right man to improve Memphis, he loves bringing trough young players. He probably won't be great from the start, he's only 21. But I really do believe he is a special talent, and he really is the biggest talent Holland has got at the moment (in attack). I think he will be perfect to take over Young's spot in time.

Where his peak lies? You never know, I personally believe (bias) that he can become the next Hazard/Ronaldo. At worst he'll be an Everton-level kind of player though, I can't see him dipping below that.

El-Manos

'A handful' ie you're talking out of your arse!
Peterpot calling the kettle black... Speaking of a deluded Arsenal fan, you come out with more nonsense than Katie Hopkins. I take it Yaya Sanago should be voted for best young player too?

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Question for @NL Max - what's his ability on the ball like, particularly in tight spaces? Is he like bale, who is quite limited in tight spaces (but obviously excellent in other areas) or is he genuinely very good in this aspect?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Is it true he's in Manchester for talks with the club?
Someone please confirm this!

@NL Max - excellent post as always but my word you've done Hazard a favour with that Ronaldo level comparison :lol:

EDIT to add this tweet. Reliable source?

Last edited:

Macern

Pee pee pants
So, assuming it's true that he flew to Manchester last night. Does that mean that the transfer could be confirmed today?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Where his peak lies? You never know, I personally believe (bias) that he can become the next Hazard/Ronaldo. At worst he'll be an Everton-level kind of player though, I can't see him dipping below that.
Thanks for the insight NL Max, that's high praise indeed considering probably only one Dutch player ever can claim to be at the level of Ronaldo.

BarstoolProphet

Will be extremely happy if he ends up being a player in the Hazard mould. C.Ronaldo (and Messi, of course) is a freak of nature and I doubt that I'll ever get to see his or/and Messi's likes again.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Holy crap, this could be a bit scary. A muppet target I've wanted for over a year actually joining the club.

JoaquinJoaquin

Does signing him means the end for Nani?
I wouldn't say that it is definetly the end of Nani, because if Januzaj goes out on loan and Di Maria gets played back centrally (which may or may not happen) then we will need him as well as Memphis.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He has that air of arrogance about him, similar to Hazard. The right amount.

Memphis has what it takes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This deal is a no brainer. Depay is at the right age, at the right price and has the right talent + his goal ratio from the LW role is simply amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.