Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Depay is a good finisher and pretty good with his back to goal, qualities that Ten Hag feels he needs. We only have Martial capable of that so those 2 as the CF options would be decent.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
So they were willing to rip up his contract, we're willing to pay 10m EUR, yet it's still very likely he stays. :lol:
I guess if they get rid of Aubameyang he'd be a back-up striker option so they might be more receptive to him staying.

For Depay I guess the incentive is that he's a FA next year again I believe so he'll have more options in the summer.

Santos J

I guess if they get rid of Aubameyang he'd be a back-up striker option so they might be more receptive to him staying.

For Depay I guess the incentive is that he's a FA next year again I believe so he'll have more options in the summer.
Yeah I suppose, although Auba still looked off when they agreed to tear up his contract, it was only Juve side of things that made that fall through.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good squad depth signing at a cheap price. I wouldn't mind, albeit I wouldn't be thrilled either.

Has a fantastic NT record but I've never really been fully convinced by him, and again, I think he'll struggle with the pace and physicality of the PL. Maybe my memory is biased, but even at Lyon, he still struggled against the decent sides and in the UCL.

Maybe harsh, but he's a Europa level player (luckily for him, we're currently in the EL). I suppose he's playing a different position now, so maybe the pace/physicality is less of a concern.

zaafi

Can someone elaborate why they don't want him here for that price? Genuinely curious as I haven't paid much attention to his off-the-pitch antics, but it's apparent some don't want him here due to his behaviour, and not his footballing ability. Because he is a good player and would be a good addition for £15-20m.

I also read a few posts that don't want him here because of how he did here when he was like 20 years old. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the player he is now.

Bondi77

Good squad depth signing at a cheap price. I wouldn't mind, albeit I wouldn't be thrilled either.

Has a fantastic NT record but I've never really been fully convinced by him, and again, I think he'll struggle with the pace and physicality of the PL. Maybe my memory is biased, but even at Lyon, he still struggled against the decent sides and in the UCL.

Maybe harsh, but he's a Europa level player (luckily for him, we're currently in the EL). I suppose he's playing a different position now, so maybe the pace/physicality is less of a concern.
What is a Europa level player??
Chelsea played Arsenal ln the final not that long ago and Barca were smacked in it last year.

Idxomer

Depay is a good finisher and pretty good with his back to goal, qualities that Ten Hag feels he needs. We only have Martial capable of that so those 2 as the CF options would be decent.
I'm not sure about that, his technique goes to shit under pressure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What is a Europa level player??
Chelsea played each other ln the final not that long ago and Barca were smacked in it last year.
It's just a phrase, not to be taken literally. I didn't think it needed explaining but i would say a decent/good player, but not in the very best category. Don't think he'd be a starter for any of the major clubs in Europe. Might be a shrewd addition as a squad player for us though.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Can someone elaborate why they don't want him here for that price? Genuinely curious as I haven't paid much attention to his off-the-pitch antics, but it's apparent some don't want him here due to his behaviour, and not his footballing ability. Because he is a good player and would be a good addition for £15-20m.

I also read a few posts that don't want him here because of how he did here when he was like 20 years old. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the player he is now.
I don't get all the animosity towards him from so many as well. It's not like we have loads of options to choose from. The market has been difficult for us, we have already seen lots of clubs (and players) either outright reject our offers or set unreasonably high valuations. Right now for the forward position we have failed in all our primary targets and we are left with Gakpo and Depay as the only feasible options left, of which I'd 100% pick Depay over Gakpo at this moment, all things considered. Like someone said earlier, Gakpo is a 23 year old Depay costing five times as much. I mean I would even pick Depay over Aubameyang if the choice was presented to us. The truth is that there aren't many options to pick from in the market right now.

While I understand that many might already have had their opinions about him formed during his previous time with us, I think he has matured a lot during the time he has been away from United and is really a decent player to have in the squad today, especially at the low cost which gives us room for more acquisitions and I think he would fit in well with EtH's style. Also I don't think he would be a backup option, more of rotation with Martial.

I wonder whether those who don't want Depay would prefer we go into the season with what we have rather than get him or have a better player available (and attainable) that they think we should rather get.

Bondi77

It's just a phrase, not to be taken literally. I didn't think it needed explaining but i would say a decent/good player, but not in the very best category. Don't think he'd be a starter for any of the major clubs in Europe. Might be a shrewd addition as a squad player for us though.
Didn’t need explaining :houllier:
You needed four lines to do it:lol:
It is a stupid phrase as there are players in Portugal and Holland that could play Chmps League every season and yet they would warm the bench for a Premier League team that finishes mid table.

Tiber

I've long been a sceptic, but I thought he would atleast last longer than a year at Barca before they moved on

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Didn’t need explaining :houllier:
You needed four lines to do it:lol:
It is a stupid phrase as there are players in Portugal and Holland that could play Chmps League every season and yet they would warm the bench for a Premier League team that finishes mid table.
And...you're still taking it literally. Cool.

themanguydude

If our choices for squad depth is a 50m Gakpo or ~10m Depay, I'd take Depay any day.

He's a better player right now and I think he would accept a rotation role here.

Drizzle

I think Depay will be our squad replacement if Ronaldo goes. Net neutral transfer fee, can play at 9 if necessary competing with Martial, clearly a competent and experienced (if far from elite) player who is still theoretically at his peak. And he won't limit our options in getting a new big name striker next summer. Unexciting but sensible.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He was gash when he was here but that was 6 years ago and under a manager who had everyone playing gash. For 8m I’d be interested to see if Ten Hag can get a tune out of him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His rap songs have more autotune than I'm Blue da ba dee da ba die.

meamth

Nah, I don't want the best in the world pretentious player. He thinks he is the best in the world, but sorry...I cannot accept that cringe.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Nah, I don't want the best in the world pretentious player. He thinks he is the best in the world, but sorry...I cannot accept that cringe.
Confidence at least. Something which our team severely lacks at the moment

Borys

Statistics Wizard
At 10m and hopefully low salary it's OK, although not a big fan of him and I think he's not a type of player for Ten Hag system. That said, this is based on what he was for United and that was a loooong time ago. Has he improved? I always had him as a Rashford kick-and-run-into-space type of player.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So they were willing to rip up his contract, we're willing to pay 10m EUR, yet it's still very likely he stays. :lol:
I read that as a more FFP friendly way of getting them to pay the money owed to Frenkie so we could do a double deal. Kind of like buying a couch for 50k along with a cost-controlled apartment.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I read that as a more FFP friendly way of getting them to pay the money owed to Frenkie so we could do a double deal. Kind of like buying a couch for 50k along with a cost-controlled apartment.
The only situation where I'd be ok with this deal.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If we get him we’re shambles.
And also Acensio. And Antony.
We are already shambles for Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen and Casemiro. Shambles.

The only non shambles transfer would be future ballon d’Or winner and best midfielder in football history - Frenkie de Jong, a footballing God if you will. Not getting him would be shambles, but also getting him this late would be shambles.

so overall - shambles.

Ted Lasso

It's interesting that Depay has become more of a linkup striker, in the mould of Firminho. He'd be a good fit for ETHs style.

He bulked up so much during his time with us and I wonder if that his change in style is to do get the best out of him because of that or genuine preference to playing that way. I'd had expected him to stay a true winger.

TheReligion

Abusive

The only non shambles transfer would be future ballon d’Or winner and best midfielder in football history - Frenkie de Jong, a footballing God if you will. Not getting him would be shambles, but also getting him this late would be shambles.

so overall - shambles.
Casemiro is nominated for the big award this year FYI

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Casemiro is nominated for the big award this year FYI
this is because Fifa is also shambles.
It’s clear that Frenkie de God is the absolute winner, no need to nominate anyone else!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
watching how our team play when a poacher striker like Ronaldo plays vs more a False 9 type link up player like Martial -

Id be okay with Memphis if he was cheap and easily get riddible ie not on major wages.

Idxomer

At 10m and hopefully low salary it's OK, although not a big fan of him and I think he's not a type of player for Ten Hag system. That said, this is based on what he was for United and that was a loooong time ago. Has he improved? I always had him as a Rashford kick-and-run-into-space type of player.
Very unlikely he comes on a low salary. He went to Barca for a low salary on a free transfer, that's why they agreed to terminate his contract so he could get compensated him for that at Juve. Of course, that failed because Juve deemed his demands too high.

I don't think he has improved as much as some people here think. He changed his position to a striker where he can't get exposed for his lack of dribbling and pace but he's still very much a flat-track bully who doesn't usually show up against good opponents.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very unlikely he comes on a low salary. He went to Barca for a low salary on a free transfer, that's why they agreed to terminate his contract so he could get compensated him for that at Juve. Of course, that failed because Juve deemed his demands too high.

I don't think he has improved as much as some people here think. He changed his position to a striker where he can't get exposed for his lack of dribbling and pace but he's still very much a flat-track bully who doesn't usually show up against good opponents.
This is what I fear. Looks like a stop gap signing, and even worse is I never considered him to be a player willing to do the dirty job and running. Which is why I'm not excited about those rumors.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From Antony to Memphis. I think I'm going to weep if that happens.

amolbhatia50k

He's nothing great. Skillful, but lacks that immaculate technical control or burst of acceleration needed to be a real high quality player. I'd take Martial over him every day of the week. Would be a big mistake to resign him.

amolbhatia50k

so overall - shambles.
No, Antony would be a great additional.

Malacia always looked ace from the clips.

Martinez looks a quality footballer.

Erikson was a no brainer of a signing.

Casemeiro's fee is stupidly big but he's obviously a great player.

On the other hand, Memphis just isn't that good. Absolutely not what we need. Numbers for the sake of it.

largelyworried

No thanks. Think he’s good in a weaker team, where doing the business once every three or four games is enough. Has talent but the consistency and application doesn't seem to be there.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Hopefully. But I would rather sign nobody uptop than sign Memphis.
Memphis will be perfect for short-term solution for our CF position and like somebody said i think he can integrate good in ETH system, he will surprise most of you. Anyway we cannot rely on Martial cuz he is injured again for second time in a span of 20 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.