Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

What’s this false 9 business? We aren’t looking for a false 9? I thought we are looking at someone who can lead the line.

Hows Depay’s level at holding the ball up?
Very good from what I have seen of him.

He is a lot stronger than he was as a 20 year old but still very good at quickly shifting his momentum away from a defender on his back.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What’s this false 9 business? We aren’t looking for a false 9? I thought we are looking at someone who can lead the line.

Hows Depay’s level at holding the ball up?
He plays the exact same role as Martial. So perfect rotation. Depay's very good at holding it up for The Netherlands.

We were briefly looking at proper 9's in the past (Sesko), but he's gone now. No one of that type is available anymore.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Some decent hold up play here, looks like he'd be a shrewd signing

Rolaholic

I was curious what was meant by "attitude problems" I literally can't remember hearing one thing about him having a bad attitude when he was here.

He clearly backs his own ability but I would hope any attacking player that plays for clubs like Man Utd, Barcelona and starts for the Netherlands does.
He didn't cut it with us the first time but LVG and Jose never once claimed an issue regarding his attitude, the latter actually praised him for still working hard in training even when he was in the periphery of the starting XI.

Only thing I can think of as why that poster said it was that he must've not liked him being flashy off the pitch as he was like many other 21 year old multimillionaire footballers in his choice of outfits and cars...

Rolaholic

That's been one of his strengths at Lyon and Barca which would bode well with the current profile of our forwards and for ETH's system.

He's got a much better feel for the game now too to go with great vision so he can playmake and create chances quite well when he's not scoring.

We'd be getting a much more refined and intelligent version at 28 than we did when he was still a kid coming from PSV.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Also a huge amount of misplaced passes and a lot of extra touches not needed leading to a break up of a promising attack.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Its just because he flopped here
But just because he didn't make it as a young player doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good signing now.

He was only 21 when he first joined. He's got 42 goals in 80 caps for The Netherlands, 63 goals in 139 apps for Lyon, 12 goals in 28 apps for Barcelona. He's now 28 years old with many years of experience. He's a solid option imo.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Juve couldn't afford him without shifting Rabiot because Depay's salary is 200k/w.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
But just because he didn't make it as a young player doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good signing now.

He was a 19 year old kid when he first joined. He's got 42 goals in 80 caps for The Netherlands, 63 goals in 139 apps for Lyon, 12 goals in 28 apps for Barcelona. He's 28 years old with years of experience. He's a solid option.
No way has it been 9 years. Holy feck.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d be okay with him if he wasn’t hard to sell after a years time if we needed to.

Mr PG

Depay failed here in the past because our lack of creativity in midfield meant our strikers never got good service. He's not Kane level but is at a very good level especially his contribution to the overall play. It's a striker like him we needed at the end of Monday's game to retain possession better. Rashford is good at running through but decision making is abysmal and easily concedes possession.

SoCross

Very good from what I have seen of him.

He is a lot stronger than he was as a 20 year old but still very good at quickly shifting his momentum away from a defender on his back.
That’s good to hear!

He plays the exact same role as Martial. So perfect rotation. Depay's very good at holding it up for The Netherlands.

We were briefly looking at proper 9's in the past (Sesko), but he's gone now. No one of that type is available anymore.
But are they false 9s? Super confused now. I thought I had the concept of a false 9 clear. Care to help out and clarify the role of a false 9 and is that what ETH is trying to do?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Depay failed here in the past because our lack of creativity in midfield meant our strikers never got good service. He's not Kane level but is at a very good level especially his contribution to the overall play. It's a striker like him we needed at the end of Monday's game to retain possession better. Rashford is good at running through but decision making is abysmal and easily concedes possession.
Like it's any different now? :lol:
He's a massive dumbo and one of the most overrated footballers of the last 5 years. I still remember the Chelsea match which we were leading 1-0 and this guy in the 90th min instead of going down the corner to time waste, went for glory lost the ball and Chelsea equalized. Absolute moron who thinks of himself like he's some sort of a football messiah.

RikRuud

He's definitely matured as a player and hopefully as a person. Would be a good addition to the squad I think.

cafecillos

The insults in this thread are quite pathetic, to be honest. It's okay not to like him as a player, I don't either, but the personal hate feels totally over the top and rather uncomfortable to read.

MoskvaRed

Nothing against the bloke personally but why are we signing a 28 year old whose career never really took off (and who won’t be on small wages)? I’d like to think we sign one of the following: (1) players coming into their peak years (expensive, I know), ((2) young prospects or (3) the occasional veteran as a stop gap. He is not in the first two categories and not really in the third. It sounds like the move of a club with a threadbare squad.

Rolaholic

Nothing against the bloke personally but why are we signing a 28 year old whose career never really took off (and who won’t be on small wages)? I’d like to think we sign one of the following: (1) players coming into their peak years (expensive, I know), ((2) young prospects or (3) the occasional veteran as a stop gap. He is not in the first two categories and not really in the third. It sounds like the move of a club with a threadbare squad.
Because we're one injury to an already injury prone player and a near 38 year old from being completely fecked up top

Plus these young propsects/players aren't cheaper than the 10m it would take here these days

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He thinks and acts like he is Romario, which is perfectly legit yet a difficult proposition, money wise, outside of the PL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a no from me.
It seems amazing he got to Barcelona, but then they did sign that Wolves sprinter the other season, so who knows these days.

kbbear

He'd be a great backup to Martial as a false 9 that can hold the ball up well.

Let Ronaldo leave, everybody happy.
Agree with this. I think ten hag is looking for a more fluid front line and Depay would suit this well.

leeroy221

Like it's any different now? :lol:
He's a massive dumbo and one of the most overrated footballers of the last 5 years. I still remember the Chelsea match which we were leading 1-0 and this guy in the 90th min instead of going down the corner to time waste, went for glory lost the ball and Chelsea equalized. Absolute moron who thinks of himself like he's some sort of a football messiah.
And aged what, 21 at the time? Naieve, yes certainly but I'm sure he has learnt over the years.

leeroy221

With a more progressive manager than the ones he had here previously, and a better, different brand of football, I personally think he would thrive this time round.

lex talionis

Bring in Antony above all else. If Ronaldo escapes what he regards as the hellhole of Old Trafford we could do a lot worse than Depay while we assess the development of Sesko this season for a massive acquisition next summer.

northernsoul74

Bring in Antony above all else. If Ronaldo escapes what he regards as the hellhole of Old Trafford we could do a lot worse than Depay while we assess the development of Sesko this season for a massive acquisition next summer.
Sesko is already moving to Leipzig next summer. Done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.