Memphis Depay vs Anthony Martial

Oneunited26

I think, if Van Gaal allows Martial to play his natural game - as a centre forward who drifts to the left, we could be looking at recreating Arsena;s famous left-side before too long. They will form a great partnership down that side I think, and backed up by Shaw - they will be an extremely fast, powerful, skilful - and ultimately, unstoppable force.
I also think VG is the problem, we continue to see the same performances, I am afraid VG is really is the problem

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Memphis will correct his decision making a bit he'll be out of reach for most talented attacking wingers in Europe. It's a matter of time since it's probably his only visible detriment right now.

On the other hand if Martial will have cracking debut games that will change United's game then everyone may really start using Henry's comparison. He may easily become United's and in general a football legend. He just needs a good start here and he may have a chance to surpass Memphis by the size of the impact but right now Dutchman is ahead a little with his last season after very promising World Cup and goals galore performances in Eredivisie.
A bit of hyperbole?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Good to see some optimism!
Right now definitely much bigger optimism than when it comes to Januzaj. So far the kid looks a bit shy and not too confident about himself despite the potential while Martial already is supporting his own family in the age 19 and Memphis being a survivor from a broken home and excelling to someone far more stronger than that.

Adnan may probably come as a late bloomer but he could challenge easily these two in pure football ability. The chances of someone becoming a Ronaldo type player for us is rising every time we're not being afraid of investing in solid youth. This season Shaw put some game face and probably is the best proof we can rely on teenagers in taking full responsibilities in the first team.

If it's LvG preparing the team for someone after him then he may be doing a good job in that case.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Similar to Rooney's record at Everton which was around 15 in 67. So I wouldn't take that statistic alone and say it's unexciting. Teenagers rarely have a record of a goal every other game.

But yeah, as of now logically one would have to go with Memphis. I'll probably post again on this once I see Martial's first few performances.
Rooney had several England caps with a handful of goals for them too. With Martial making his debut the other day hopefully he can follow suit.

Adebesi

I think Depay will have a much bigger impact this season. I dont think Martial will do much this season beyond acclimitising, with a few moments of brilliance thrown in to give us hope, if we are lucky. But I have to admit I know next to nothing about Martial. (And not a massive amount more about Depay, come to think of it.)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think Depay will have a much bigger impact this season. I dont think Martial will do much this season beyond acclimitising, with a few moments of brilliance thrown in to give us hope, if we are lucky. But I have to admit I know next to nothing about Martial. (And not a massive amount more about Depay, come to think of it.)
I think many are underrating Martial tbh. He does actually have good experience and played 7 games in the UCL last season.
Depay will have the better season as he is further in his development, and tbh looks like when things click for him he could be a beast but will be inconsistent at times as we have seen.
Martial will also be inconsistent, but has similar raw talents, and tbh Januzaj is able to make an impact than I expect Martial will too.
Don't expect him to score bags of goals, but I do expect him to shut many of the journalists up.

Adebesi

I think many are underrating Martial tbh.
I might well be. In fact, I almost certainly am, unless he is pretty shit, because I really expect very little from him in the short term. Anything he does good this season is a bonus as far as Im concerned. I see him essentially as backup for Rooney - backup for our undroppable player - because you need some backup, but it will be hard for anyone in that position because, as I said, Rooney is not going to be dropped. In this scenario a young player with some raw talent probably fits the profile of what we need more than anyone else - if we had signed Muller we'd have a problem on our hands fitting him in. We dont have that problem here.

But that said its been interesting reading people speculating that he will play right wing or Rooney will be dropped back so he can play up front. I dont see it at all for the latter, and I suspect not for the former, but time will tell.

Shark

@NotShark
I think many are underrating Martial tbh. He does actually have good experience and played 7 games in the UCL last season.
Depay will have the better season as he is further in his development, and tbh looks like when things click for him he could be a beast but will be inconsistent at times as we have seen.
Martial will also be inconsistent, but has similar raw talents, and tbh Januzaj is able to make an impact than I expect Martial will too.
Don't expect him to score bags of goals, but I do expect him to shut many of the journalists up.
That tends to happen when most haven't seen a player play aside from a YouTube clip or 15 minute cameo. Also keep in mind that he's almost the same age as a certain 'big talent' we just let go on loan to Dortmund. Potential is a pretty sceptical word in football these days. Hell, even people had doubts about Ronaldo when he arrived on the scene.

Adebesi

That tends to happen when most haven't seen a player play aside from a YouTube clip or 15 minute cameo. Also keep in mind that he's almost the same age as a certain 'big talent' we just let go on loan to Dortmund. Potential is a pretty sceptical word in football these days. Hell, even people had doubts about Ronaldo when he arrived on the scene.
Absolutely. It's easy to see ronaldo's rise as inevitable in retrospect. But there was no knowing what he'd become when he was 19 ish and his game revolved around doing ad many stopovers per minute as possible.

Januzaj is a good comparison. Here is a special talent people talk of as potentially one of the best in the world. But he can't get into the side.

You are so right, the word "potential" has been diluted to be rather meaningless these days. It now basically means someone is young and learnin and therefore we have no idea how good they'll really be.

Sam

They already seem to have struck up a good understanding. They linked up really well a couple of times today.

Excited to see how they develop together.

Devil may care

I don't care about who has the better season but I am excited by the huge potential these two have to be huge part of our next great team, some of their interplay tonight was great for two young players who've never played a competitive game together before.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So far Martial looks streets ahead of Memphis.
He's certainly performing to a higher level right now, it's a bit of a weird comparison though, different players playing in different positions.

C'est Moi Cantona

Maybe we should try a front three of Martial Rooney and Mata. That said, Rooney hasn't been great neither.
Not ideal but might just be the way we have to go, rather that than Rooney on the left.

Memphis needs a break, but could be an ideal sub for when the opposition is knackered.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Depay has been poor all season. He has a lot to prove.

Martial looks a sensational talent. It's so refreshing to see a player with that bit of remarkable quality in our team. It's been a while.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think they will both have productive first years. Both will blow hot and cold at times and vacillate between being impressive and frustrating.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think Martial will have the better season and he will progress better than Memphis as well imo.

Lewis.no.9

That's racist
You are joking? How in any way is it?.

If no one knew the players to look at they could have any skin colour. Eminem proved there can be white rappers too etc. They do have rap sounding names, what colour they are is irrelevant haha. Jesus

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Martial is the better footballer imo.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This, and we've had both for less than six months. Do we really have enough data to form a decent comparison/opinion one way or the other so far?
Probably not. BUT… There are some things you see in them. For example, Martial already looks like he has all the tools to become very good attacking player, be it wide attacker or main striker. Can’t say how good is his long range shooting and heading.

On Memphis, he looks like he has to improve a lot of aspects of his game to become a real threat and I believe it will take him a couple of seasons at least (if he works hard). And he has to focus and keep training, because the tools he has right now (shooting and movement) won’t be enough at top level considering his weaknesses. And I don’t see extreme potential in him but I will be happy if he proves me wrong, it looks like a lot of people including van Gaal believe in him so it’s entirely possible.

Widnes

I always expected Depay to be hit & miss in his first season and while he needs game time he shouldn't be starting every game as equally Pereira & Wilson need minutes. Personally I'd play Wilson in his position against Everton his directness and pace along with Martial could cause all kinds of problems.