MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
i would love to see Fergie sign him up on a big money contract, only to sell him on in the summer and get our money's worth out of him, the cnut.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
He can't set an example of 'it's okay, feck your club about and you'll get what you want'. The moment you disrespect the club you need to go. You can't set that example to other players. It's times like this that set the precedents for others to do it themselves in the years to come.

Hitchcocker

He said Man Utd will always be here with or without Rooney, and that we'll have no problems attracting big name players. He said he played for us for 12 years and he loved every minute of every day.
And people call him bitter. :devil:

Rednails

And would an improved offer include a promise to bring in Waynes preferred new players? Can't see how Rooney could just accept more money when he said he wanted more investment in the team.

B Cantona

Desperate
He's not only burnt the bridges, he's fecking nuked them. They can't be rebuilt again.
It's funny how quickly a top player can turn the heads of supporters back round again with a few top class performances when it matters

The bitterness is raw now, but it would pass to some extent. His relationship with the fans might not be what it was, but then you wouldn't expect to come out of this completely unscathed

Even if he does leave, he must surely come to regret the way this has happened, and eventually, the decision he made full stop

Neutral

BTV
What if he stays with United for life and scores in the FA cup final against Liverpool to win the game? 'Booooooooooooo........'

Not cheering does not equal booing. I'll simply be indifferent. He cannot redeem himself to my mind, publicly calling out your teammates, and your club.

He's basically said, I Wayne Rooney am too good for United. As I see it, there is no coming back from that.

I know people are citing, Terry/Gerrard being very tempted by Chelsea/City respectively, but none of them came out publicly and said, my club does not match my ambitions, so I'm not signing a new contract, and will leave.

*This is all moot, he won't be coming back. He'll be a bigger joke than he is now.

Dyslexic Untied

"Number of meetings" might include other parts, such as other clubs.

Personally my mind is made up - I want him gone. If he stays, then a lot fans are going to take him back with open arms. That will be Liverpool and Gerrard all over again, making us the laughing stock. We would have shown incredible hypocrisy. My stance will be firm on this one, if he comes back, then I'll think of him as a mercenary, but never again will I like him as a United player.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
He can't set an example of 'it's okay, feck your club about and you'll get what you want'. The moment you disrespect the club you need to go. You can't set that example to other players. It's times like this that set the precedents for others to do it themselves in the years to come.
I'm sure Fergie would like to keep him if it was purely down to footballing reasons.

He's crossed the line though, can't see any way back to be honest.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
And would an improved offer include a promise to bring in Waynes preferred new players? Can't see how Rooney could just accept more money when he said he wanted more investment in the team.
Why not just let Rooney run the fecking club if thats the case, thats why im still pretty hopeful nothing other than Rooneys sale was discussed today otherwise its a total slap in the face to fergie, wed have paper storys on how Rooney runs the club over Sir Alex etc.

No way would we bow down to such a prick, he doesn't run things here thank christ and since hes made it abundantly clear he dosnt want to be here i don't see what business it is of his anyway anymore.

Zen

I think people are blowing the Webster thing all out of proportions, just because some parts of the media always bring that ruling out when there's a case of an unhappy player.

There's no way we'll bow to Wayne Rooney and give him a huge contract, even if the only intention is to sell him when we can. What sort of an example will we set to any of our players?
Why? The websters thing clearly exists, and it's why most teams are now tying up extensions very very early. You gotta remember it's only been around for a few years, and in like 15 years not many super big players have really taken advantage of the bosman thing either, really off the top of my head, only Ballack and Campbell stand out as big players at peaks letting it get to that.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Clear your PMs, Mocktard.
Done

He's not only burnt the bridges, he's fecking nuked them. They can't be rebuilt again.
Possibly...But things change in football..To quote Ronaldo (and a very odd one for me) "the future, only God knows"...There were a lot of people calling Ronaldo a cnut quite viciously after he left, now he's adored. Even sammsky likes Beckham now. Things change. As bizarre and unlikely as any of it seems.

He won't be loved as much no...But many may well forgive and forget.

It's a big if though, I don't think he'll actually stay anyway. But it'd be really interesting if he did.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Can you imagine the criticism Fergie will get if he stays.

"SAF bows to player power."
"SAF losing control."

I'd rather he just left so we can make a statement. He'll take a while to replace but I'm sure we have it in us to replace him.

United87

How can people go back to supporting him after saying stuff like: 'scouse ugly cnut hope he breaks his legs' I'm paraphrasing of course.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
if we offer him a bigger contract and he takees it - wont that just prove that he is a money grabbing cnut, since his supposed gripe is about squad investment?

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
If Rooney had just said he wanted more money, and then we agreed on a new deal, I think most people would be somewhat open to him coming back. Questioning the ambition of the club, and talent of his teammates is fecking out of order and I hope he never plays for United again.

Brophs

The One and Only
There's no doubt he could come back IF there was something afoot (though I'm sure there isn't). Fergie would just come out and do a press conference with him and talk about how he's a 'passionate boy, wants to win blah blah and he needed a bit of time to think' etc. No one would really buy it but it would be as simple as that. Then he would work on the supporters through his performances.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Why? The websters thing clearly exists, and it's why most teams are now tying up extensions very very early. You gotta remember it's only been around for a few years, and in like 15 years not many super big players have really taken advantage of the bosman thing either, really off the top of my head, only Ballack and Campbell stand out as big players at peaks letting it get to that.
That's not the Webster ruling, that's the Bosman. Webster is buying out your contract early. Ballack, Campbell (and Joe Cole) let their contract run out and left for free.

Rednails

Remember what Fergie said when he was talking about cows last night. He said 'be careful what you wish for'. I think we are trying to do a deal with another club that Rooney does not want.

Drifter

American
Can you imagine the criticism Fergie will get if he stays.

"SAF bows to player power."
"SAF losing control."

I'd rather he just left so we can make a statement. He'll take a while to replace but I'm sure we have it in us to replace him.
Changing times .SAF understands that.Player power is growing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There's no doubt he could come back IF there was something afoot (though I'm sure there isn't). Fergie would just come out and do a press conference with him and talk about how he's a 'passionate boy, wants to win blah blah and he needed a bit of time to think' etc. No one would really buy it but it would be as simple as that. Then he would work on the supporters through his performances.
Yep. Simple as.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
SAF did very purposely leave the door open for him though. Twice.

So I am sure there is more to it than him leaving.

Amir

*This is all moot, he won't be coming back. He'll be a bigger joke than he is now.
That's the thing. If you told me a week ago what was going to happen, I would have said you were a fool. Now, nothing at all will surprise me.

(*) If Rooney came back begging on his hands and knees, signed a new long term deal, sacked his agent and gave it all in a few more very successful years for Manchester United, these few days will be forgotten when people look at Wayne Rooney's United career 20 years from now. George Best is an absolute hero, but he had his faults and the club suffered through them as well.

* Not that I think it's happening, but beyond being shocked by anything.

wr8_utd

:'(
Done

Possibly...But things change in football..To quote Ronaldo (and a very odd one for me) "the future, only God knows"...There were a lot of people calling Ronaldo a cnut quite viciously after he left, now he's adored. Even sammsky likes Beckham now. Things change. As bizarre and unlikely as any of it seems.

He won't be loved as much no...But many may well forgive and forget.

It's a big if though, I don't think he'll actually stay anyway. But it'd be really interesting if he did.
Forgive? Unlikely. Forget? Absolutely not.

Hitchcocker

Well, after reading Rooney's statement, possibly Keano has realised the complete bollocks that Rooney is spouting.
More like he was asked if he had advice for Rooney and now he's asked about United's future.

His love for United and advice for Rooney isn't mutually exclusive.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Fergie clearly feels something special about Rooney. And remember how Fergie managed to convince Ronaldo to stay once after a meeting in Lisbon. Basically anything can happen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure what to make of the latest press release. Personally I want him gone. He has been way out of line and gone totally against the clubs principles. The statement about ambition was an appalling one. And there should be no way back from that. He has no business questioning the clubs ambition and clearly doesn't have the spirit character nor self belief to take on responsibility. We shouldn't have to indulge in his muppet dreams.

I personally think that keeping him could send out worse signals than him leaving would.

Hitchcocker

Fergie clearly feels something special about Rooney. And remember how Fergie managed to convince Ronaldo to stay once after a meeting in Lisbon. Basically anything can happen.
We don't need one more year of Rooney. If we can get four-five years then fine. But feck me if we have stooped so low to have to 'beg' for another year.