MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Adebesi

Apologies if this point has already been brought up (I havent read through all 50+ pages on here and have been umm... away for a couple of days) but if we knew mid-August that Rooney deffo wanted out, why didn't we sell him and get someone in while we had the chance?

Now it looks like we have a sulky arsed player with us until January when we could have had someone who actually wants to play for us.

The January window is all well and good but it is likely that whoever we get won't be eligible for CL football and we will probably get less for Rooney than we would have done in the Summer.
In a nutshell, because though he said he wanted out in August, SAF and Gill thought they would be able to convince him to stay. Might have assumed at that stage he was just posturing to try and get more money.

Crerand Legend

haha...just took a step back for a while. Just read posts and didn't comment...waited til the hate died down. :)
You did get a rough ride although some of it was good crack, I would say what is happening now will take the heat off Tevez and I do agree his alleged betrayal will pale to insignificance compared to Rooney. It is sad though

Saliph

We have a habit of striking back when people least expect it though. Remember 06/07? We were predicted to finish fourth, and even fifth by a lot of people. "Where are the goals going to come from?". We ended up having arguably our best season this side of the century in terms of playing excellent football. That's why I'm not too worried. And I'm not worried that SAF will quit just yet either. He'll keep going until his health stops him, and as far as I know he doesn't have any problems in that department.

I doubt we'll win the PL this year, but with a bit of investment in the squad next summer, preferably in the central midfield, left wing and a striker, and we'll be back with a vengeance.

There's no such thing as an irreplaceable player.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Apologies if posted, but this article sums up things nicely imo:

Alex Ferguson's stance poses questions about Wayne Rooney's attitude

There are still times in his 24 years as Manchester United manager when Sir Alex Ferguson peels his jacket off for a fight. Challenged the way he has been by Wayne Rooney and his camp, he reverts to survival mode. In his thoughts he returns to the streets of Govan.

This conflict was not one he invited. But such has been the level of provocation from his rebellious star that Ferguson was forced to go on the counter to protect his own standing with the club's owners and supporters. His dissection of Rooney's mutinous conduct was about as good as daytime television is ever likely to get.

Some detected a wounded air about Ferguson at a riveting press briefing in Manchester. Some thought he seemed sad – beaten, even – as if an ungrateful 24-year-old had shattered his beliefs about what a Manchester United player should be, and how he ought to behave. The word is that any sorrow Ferguson displayed stems from his conviction that he had helped and protected his star through many a personal convulsion and red card brouhaha and was now being repaid with a kind of contempt.

But equally he was in snorting political form. The alternative strategy would have been to excoriate the first journalist bold enough to ask what was going on. Instead he came armed with a speech that nailed several damaging myths and cast Rooney as a mercenary with no regard for United's health.

This was a veteran problem solver retaking control of a power struggle that had run away from him and his employer. There was disappointment, censure, bafflement, a restatement of club ethics and a nasty problem for Rooney now to solve. How can he escape the suggestion of unprofessionalism? His whole career has been constructed around the idea that here was a street warrior who would never stop running, never stop loving the game, never let you down.

When Cristiano Ronaldo declared his intention to move from United to Real Madrid, a deal was struck that was honoured by both sides. United would sell him to Spain, a year from the date of the agreement, provided he went on toiling for the good of the collective.

This was the hope Ferguson carried into this campaign, when Rooney announced – in August, we now learn – he would not be renewing the contract that expires in the summer of 2012. "Not renewing" is actually too prissy a phrase. By backing out of the contract negotiations, Rooney was forcing United to sell him before his transfer value plunged: by next summer at the latest, but more logically in January.

Even then a fragile peace prevailed. Ferguson had every reason to expect another gut-busting shift from the PFA and Football Writers' Association footballer of the year for 2009-2010. Instead: crisis and distraction. In large measure Rooney has served up only sulks and apathy: a haunting realisation for those United supporters who chanted for him to be brought on against West Bromwich Albion at the weekend.

The truth jumped out like a scalded cat when Ferguson addressed the microphone on the eve of the team's Champions League tie against Bursaspor at Old Trafford. In this last decade, especially, the United manager has managed seismic change. The longevity of Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville only accentuates the contrast between the homegrown heroes from the 90s and today's self-absorbed nomads.

"Just remember one thing: respect this club. I don't want any nonsense from you, respect your club," Ferguson told Rooney when divorce was mooted. This is the killer line: the statement of ancient managerial principle on which the whole saga turned.

Ferguson was evidently asking the refusenik to be sensitive to the needs of the club that had elevated him to football's biggest stage. A fair exchange was in place. Instead: the treachery of the Wembley mixed zone, where Rooney contradicted Ferguson's claim that he had been carrying an ankle injury prior to the England- Montenegro game.

Observe the new Roy Keane, come and walk round him, he is colossally egocentric. When the great Keano persuaded himself he was the new manager and challenged Ferguson's authority once too often, the real boss moved with brutal clarity. The same values were visible back then. Keane was expelled, purged, for moving against the leader, and the club responded by constructing the second Champions League winning side of the Ferguson era.

"We've done everything we can for Wayne Rooney since the minute he came to the club," Ferguson told MUTV, turning another screw. "We've always been there as a harbour for him." There is a subtext here: 'I trusted this lad. I thought we had a deal. Buy him if you like. But good luck if you do.'

Ronaldo's exit was smoothly managed in the end, and mutual admiration endures. Rooney finds himself on a different road out of Old Trafford. On the way, he compromised Ferguson's standing with the Stretford End and chipped away at his authority until a whirlwind blew. "This is a club which bases all its history and its tradition on the loyalty and trust between managers and players and the club," the manager said. Implication: Rooney knows nothing of these things, and the loss, ultimately, is his, because United will prosper without him.

Reliable sources say there will be big-name replacements by the summer. Today's press conference was the first step to another reconstruction.
No one man is bigger than the club. feck Rooney, United will never die :devil:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's right though. Right or wrong, we could come up with a reason for Tevez wanting to leave - especially as he had said he wanted to stay, even though he chucked his dummy out of the pram because we didn't ask him quick enough.

What justification has Rooney got? Tevez might have had a small case. (Or big to some people). Rooney hasn't even got a small washbag.
i know, i was jesting with the lad

IF Rooney joins City, what will him and Tevez have in common?

A> they're both pig ugly!

Adebesi

The Daily Mail is reporting the reason Rooney wants out is the lack of ambition being displayed by the club. We are too cheap, is the wording. Basically, he looked around the dressing room and didnt think what he saw was up to scratch.

OneUnited24

When more of the story comes out, IF it shows Rooney in a more positive light, it's likely they'll all do another U-turn and try to deny that they ever thought such things.

Football fans, bloody hell.
Even if Rooney comes out and says hes not looking to join another club but he needs a break from football to care for dying puppies and will return I will still maintain hes a great player but not world class - unless he does something where i think "yeah hes lived up to that potential we when he first arrived"

I mean honestly can anyone sit here and say Rooney has developed exactly how they expected him to? That kid who could dribble past players and beat men for fun, shooting and scoring from outside the box, picking players out with the accuracy of a Scholes is long gone and that kid was definately on the path of being world class, the guy who plays for us now while talented isnt world class

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If he came out now and said he's fecked up and he wants to stay and sign a 5 year contract I for one would be happy. There's a lot of drama from the usual suspects in here at the moment, and a lot of nasty shit being said. Don't get me wrong; if he goes on to join city then fine, he deserves all he gets, but I'm biding my time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Apologies if this point has already been brought up (I havent read through all 50+ pages on here and have been umm... away for a couple of days) but if we knew mid-August that Rooney deffo wanted out, why didn't we sell him and get someone in while we had the chance?

Now it looks like we have a sulky arsed player with us until January when we could have had someone who actually wants to play for us.

The January window is all well and good but it is likely that whoever we get won't be eligible for CL football and we will probably get less for Rooney than we would have done in the Summer.
SAF says it was out of the blue (ahem) so we had no sale/purchase lined up.
The fans are upset now imagine if we'd sold him without a fight or a warning in August - anger at the management, the owners, all hell would have been let loose.
SAF may even have thought he could get a "tired/depressed after the WC failure" Rooney to cheer up and sign.

Brocky

what if he and his camp maintain silence and don't say anything?

what about your great white knight then?

We don't owe Wayne anything. Especially not after everything that has transpired.
Great white knight? feck off with your childish fanboi-esque comments and read my posts.

I'm not defending Rooney whatsoever. Y'know why i'm not? Because we don't know the full story! It's a shame that you and the rest of the clowns that did exactly the same after the Beckham red card and the Ronaldo winker incident haven't learned a thing and can't take a similar stance.

How the feck do you know that nothing has been said to SAF/the club other than that he wants to leave? Are you really that naive?

Crerand Legend

The Daily Mail is reporting the reason Rooney wants out is the lack of ambition being displayed by the club. We are too cheap, is the wording. Basically, he looked around the dressing room and didnt think what he saw was up to scratch.
I would reckon he will blame it on the Glazer's to and try and get some sympathy from the fans, I hate the Glazer's with a passion but they have nothing to do with this git leaving the club and he is not getting away with that one. The Glazer's are probably the only one's pleased Rooney is leaving, 50m more down the interest blackhole

TheMancRedDevil

In a nutshell, because though he said he wanted out in August, SAF and Gill thought they would be able to convince him to stay. Might have assumed at that stage he was just posturing to try and get more money.
It would smack of a hell of a big gamble if that were the case.

Fergie used the word "adamant" today, I think.

There's shit going on here that we don't know about. Not even a hothead like Rooney does something like this, surely?

I hear the arguments that he might be disillusioned by our lack of spending but you'd at least give a manager like Fergie the benefit of the doubt on that score, surely and you'd ask for some reassurances before you just demanded a transfer.

In any case, why didn't Rooney himself put in a transfer request if he felt that strongly?

Posturing perhaps but Fergie's comments today have surely put paid to that being a possibility. If it was posturing and negotiations were ongoing then surely Fergie would have come out today and said something along the lines of, "Rooney is injured and out of form, that is why I have left him out recently. He wants to stay at United and contract talks are in progress as we speak."

I'd like to hear Rooney's side of the story before making full judgement but if it turns out that he goes to City and is on £250k/week then that will be all the evidence I need about what has happened here.

I still think there's a twist in all of this.

Adebesi

Cant see that happening Nick but yeah, if he comes out and says "sorry everyone, it has been the worst couple of months of my life, I have been under immense pressure and didnt know which way was up, but I realise I have been an idiot and all i want to do now is sign and prove my worth and get back into the team," then I will be a very happy man.

And everyone on here will agree he is world class again, as they though a few weeks ago.

Crerand Legend

Cant see that happening Nick but yeah, if he comes out and says "sorry everyone, it has been the worst couple of months of my life, I have been under immense pressure and didnt know which way was up, but I realise I have been an idiot and all i want to do now is sign and prove my worth and get back into the team," then I will be a very happy man.

And everyone on here will agree he is world class again, as they though a few weeks ago.
Most definitely

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I think it's time for us all to take a step back and stop being drama queens. It's not the end of the world. No matter how good he may be at the end of the he's just a football player who will be replaced. United will continue winning trophies with or without him.

Rednails

The thing is that Rooney informed the Club he wanted out in August. So why didn't we sell him then? Because it was too late in the transfer market and SAF hoped to persuade him otherwise. And he says he asked Rooney to "honor his contract and respect the traditions of the Club".

So why has it all blown up now? Because Rooneys personal life and poor form caused him to be dropped. On Sat Rooney expected to play and Coleen and Kai were pictured at the match - she was pictured smiling happily. But Rooney was on the bench. That must have been the last straw in Rooneys tiny mind and he authorized Stretford to brief the press on Sunday.

To me, that was a despicable thing to do, especially as it was hinted by Rooney's camp that SAF had mistreated him.

But SAF has turned the tables on him. By being totally open and honest in the press conference today, SAF has put the ball right back in Rooneys court. He has got to come clean now and tell us the real reason.

Rooney has crossed the line as far as I am concerned. I never want to see him in our shirt again.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned

Won't happen, though. If this was a possiblity, Fergie wouldn't have talked about it.

Brocky

Exactly.

I'm always right

If true that makes him a bigger wanker, he actually thinks he knows better than SAF? Thicker than we thought then.

OneUnited24

I would reckon he will blame it on the Glazer's to and try and get some sympathy from the fans, I hate the Glazer's with a passion but they have nothing to do with this git leaving the club and he is not getting away with that one. The Glazer's are probably the only one's pleased Rooney is leaving, 50m more down the interest blackhole
I think Alan Green said it perfectly tonight (never thought id say that) that if Rooney really felt that the quality in the dressing room had dropped its up to him after all the good United have done for him to help the cause rather than jump ship.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
That would be bullshit, surely. You'd wait until the end of the transfer window, not the 14th of August to drop the bombshell.

Adebesi

It would smack of a hell of a big gamble if that were the case.

Fergie used the word "adamant" today, I think.

There's shit going on here that we don't know about. Not even a hothead like Rooney does something like this, surely?

I hear the arguments that he might be disillusioned by our lack of spending but you'd at least give a manager like Fergie the benefit of the doubt on that score, surely and you'd ask for some reassurances before you just demanded a transfer.

In any case, why didn't Rooney himself put in a transfer request if he felt that strongly?

Posturing perhaps but Fergie's comments today have surely put paid to that being a possibility. If it was posturing and negotiations were ongoing then surely Fergie would have come out today and said something along the lines of, "Rooney is injured and out of form, that is why I have left him out recently. He wants to stay at United and contract talks are in progress as we speak."

I'd like to hear Rooney's side of the story before making full judgement but if it turns out that he goes to City and is on £250k/week then that will be all the evidence I need about what has happened here.

I still think there's a twist in all of this.
To answer the last bit first, yes I agree, there is something in this we dont know, it doesnt add up.

But to go back, I think we know now it isnt posturing. But the question wasnt about now, it was about August.

So basically, comments made in August, SAF thinks shit, Ill have to talk him around, throughout September he tries, meanwhile Rooney's form is poor, his stance isnt changing, his representative are refusing to even sit down and talk, into October and now Rooney is saying strange things to the press that are designed to bring the situation to a head, eventually you accept defeat and go public.

The situation evolves.

I'm always right

Bollox, read through past threads on Rooney and you'll see lots of posters who doubt that Rooney is world class.

For me he always blows too hot and cold to be labelled WC, how many times have we heard "he just needs a goal", and how many times do we talk about "the perfect partner to get the most out of Wayne"??

Crerand Legend

I think Alan Green said it perfectly tonight (never thought id say that) that if Rooney really felt that the quality in the dressing room had dropped its up to him after all the good United have done for him to help the cause rather than jump ship.
Unusual for Green all right, no the quality of the squad will be a lame excuse and will flat on its face, the wrath of the biggest club in the world awaits him and will haunt him. No getting out of this

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Won't happen, though. If this was a possiblity, Fergie wouldn't have talked about it.
SAF has just performed a wonderous piece of management, which most of the British press are in awe of. He also left the door wide open to Rooney should he decide to stay. In spite of what you may like to believe - you don't always know best.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Great white knight? feck off with your childish fanboi-esque comments and read my posts.

I'm not defending Rooney whatsoever. Y'know why i'm not? Because we don't know the full story! It's a shame that you and the rest of the clowns that did exactly the same after the Beckham red card and the Ronaldo winker incident haven't learned a thing and can't take a similar stance.

How the feck do you know that nothing has been said to SAF/the club other than that he wants to leave? Are you really that naive?
What really is your point?

Rooney says he doesn't want to play for the club. So everybody is saying feck off Wayne, even if you piss off, we'll be still here, coz the club is bigger than the player.

OneUnited24

Bollox, read through past threads on Rooney and you'll see lots of posters who doubt that Rooney is world class.

For me he always blows too hot and cold to be labelled WC, how many times have we heard "he just needs a goal", and how many times do we talk about "the perfect partner to get the most out of Wayne"??
More importantly, last season is a season that people point to and say "thats world class" while i have my doubts about that i'll admit never-the-less it was a great season by him but it was arguebly only one great season at the club out of his 6, the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry, Zidane... only got that title after years of consistancy at that level, Rooneys got one and hes world class for it?

Brocky

While your point is correct, he was getting at the fact that people have already made up their minds that he is a cnut before knowing anything at all about the situation and the same people, if it turns out he hasn't been as much of a cnut as they thought, will take him back as the "Wazza" we have all loved over the years.

TheMancRedDevil

So basically, comments made in August, SAF thinks shit, Ill have to talk him around, throughout September he tries, meanwhile Rooney's form is poor, his stance isnt changing, his representative are refusing to even sit down and talk, into October and now Rooney is saying strange things to the press that are designed to bring the situation to a head, eventually you accept defeat and go public.

The situation evolves.
Yes, this can be the only explanation. I suppose it depended on how "adamant" Rooney appeared in August. Fergie said "he intimated to me in his own way" - now I don't profess to know Rooney personally but "his own way" doesn't lend itself to the word "intimated", I wouldn't have thought. :lol: It put Fergie in one hell of a position though with just 2 weeks of the window left.

Adebesi

yes and no. I blame the Glazers to some extent. I blame them that we are so overreliant on Rooney. I blame them that we have not seen any of the Ronaldo money spent on reinforcements. If we werent saddled with debt I think we would have a better squad that we do.

But even if we were still a plc we wouldnt be able to compete with City in terms of the wages they can offer. And that has to be a big part of this. It feels like the most plausible explanation anyway.

But I agree with others who have said it feels like there is a big part of this that hasnt come out yet. There is something else going on.

And yes, Cutch, the timing of Rooney's original declaration is all wrong. It doesnt back up what the mail is saying, that is just his pr people trying to paint him in a favourable light.

Adebesi

I am aware people are saying today they dont think he is WC.

A few weeks ago most people wouldnt have said that. Whether you personally would have, I couldnt begin to guess. But there is a large proportion of people on here trying to rewrite history. I guess they are hedging themselves, emotionally. Fair enough, I guess.

AVARiCE

If he came out now and said he's fecked up and he wants to stay and sign a 5 year contract I for one would be happy. There's a lot of drama from the usual suspects in here at the moment, and a lot of nasty shit being said. Don't get me wrong; if he goes on to join city then fine, he deserves all he gets, but I'm biding my time.

Good posts guys.

Personally it won't be that simple. I've never been a kneejerk and I ALWAYS stand on the "optimistic" side (although I'd say I'm just a realist amongst a tide of Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime) but this is too much for me from Wayne.

The cheating allegations I sort of refused to believe because they were only allegations and I simply didn't want to believe them. I said that if they turned out to be true I'd hate the man but still support the footballer (like I do with Rio) but if they weren't then I'd get on with it, especially because I never said anything bad about him at the time.

Now he's gone and done this and it's sort of broken beyond repair. He deliberately sought out the media while on international duty (note the cowardice) to go against Sir Alex's word. Obviously we now know what's come out over the past three days as well.

I'm still not going to come out and insult him because he's still our player and I'd love for him to score a hat-trick in this years CL final, grabbing us the win. However, I think he's seriously jeopardised any chance he had of being a club legend and, beyond that, has lost the respect - let alone love - we had. If he comes out, turns around and apologises tomorrow it'll be a wonderful gesture and will help repair things, but it's like a ceramic plate that's been broken. That crack will always be there and there'll be times when we'll look at the plate and all we'll see is that crack.

I think anyone who's had a girlfriend who's said she wants to end it knows this feeling. You can't win from here. The best you can hope for is an amicable split (we get a ton of cash, a valid reason [he feels his life in England is too difficult but he still loves the club and is sorry it's worked out like this] and he goes far away to a club we don't hate [Italian, preferably]) while there's the messy split or her turning around and saying that she wants to give it another go. It'll probably never be the same though.

What I'm trying to say here, in an emotional weave of words, is that I'm not going to say things I can't take back until after he's gone but I'll never forgot that he's said words that he can't take back. Until he leaves (at whatever age, be it retirement at 35) I won't say anything nasty and I'll support him, he'll even have a chance to regain my wholehearted support, but right now the respect is completely gone.

He has a reason and I can't properly judge him until he shares it.