MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
The question is, were we really much better off 6 months ago when he was saying he wants to stay and try and emulate Giggs, and end his career at the club? Our financial situation was pretty damn similar wasnt it?

It may be the excuse he uses when he talks, but his change of heart from 6 months ago makes no sense with that excuse.

Well, it's not inconceivable for Man City to approach him with a huge signing on fee in order for him to agree to sit out his current contract and sign on a Bosman. I mean, it's pretty clear that something has popped out to change his mind about commiting his career to this club, and it's certain not the financial standing. It could be either money, or the lack of ambition shown by the club. It doesn't take a rocket scentist to know that we are gradually in decline since the departure of Ronaldo.

VP

Everyone has jumped on the slag Rooney off wave of hysteria, even the 40+ 'respected posters', it's pathetic, yesterday everyone was saying give the lad a chance and then one statement from Sir Alex and he's a cnut? Ferguson has bent the truth time and time again in press conferences to all the posters approval but now he comes out with this and it's the god honest truth?

Does nobody wonder how he was the innocent party everytime the vast amount of players left in his wake? All the players he left by the wayside dispite them proving their worth to United time and time again? Is there no question mark over Fergusons involvement in this? Rooney is and was part of United too just like Ferguson, I don't understand how one day Rooney can be a hero and after a few words he is dirt!

Doesn't this forum thrive on not being knee jerk? Doesn't this forum not encourage opinions to be thought through?
Given this a man who has already done this once with his boyhood club and has cheated on his wife twice, I think I'm going to stick with Sir Alex's version. Loyalty is clearly not Rooney's defining trait.

ALX8725

reyalP maeT htuoY
Take Me Home, United Road. To The Place I Belong,
What about it?

That has nothing to do with my post. :confused:

I said that people are naive if they think that the only dialogue between Rooney and SAF has been;

Rooney: I want to leave
SAF: ....

There is most certainly to have been much more discussion. I would even go as far as to speculate that SAF knows why Rooney wants to leave but he's not going to go against the his own and the club's policy that what happens inside the club stays inside the club, is he?

In response to your comment though;

He left Everton for bigger and better things. Understandable.

He shagged a few prostitutes because, presumably, he wanted bigger and better things. :smirk: Understandable....not to mention that it's his personal life and has feck all to do with his football career except for maybe the fact that it is possibly a factor in what has happened this week. We don't know.

And now SAF and United. We don't know yet why he has decided he wants out. My point is that people should at least wait until the story unfurls before they grind their axes. Understandable?
for now I will just have to disagree with you until there are further developments in this situation

but as for your second point, his personal did affect his professional life, enough to the point where he had to be dropped from the game at Everton because SAF wanted to protect him. That was complete bollocks. Drop your best player because he wouldn't be able to handle the crowd? And all this was due to infidelity?

Rednails

Thing is, if Rooney feels he has been carrying the team and he does not rate his team-mates - how are those team-mates going to react?

United87

what the he'll are you talking about? name one player who was left by the wayside and didn't deserve to be.
Well ................ Off the top of my head

Ince
Keane
MccGrath
Stapleton
Stam
Rooney
Beckham
Kanchelskis
Cole
Hughes
Tevez

Were they all 100% at fault for their transfer? Is Sir Alex really the saint he's made out to be, I'm not saying he is to blame I'm intimating he must be partly responsible.

paulthesinger

Everyone has jumped on the slag Rooney off wave of hysteria, even the 40+ 'respected posters', it's pathetic, yesterday everyone was saying give the lad a chance and then one statement from Sir Alex and he's a cnut? Ferguson has bent the truth time and time again in press conferences to all the posters approval but now he comes out with this and it's the god honest truth?

Does nobody wonder how he was the innocent party everytime the vast amount of players left in his wake? All the players he left by the wayside dispite them proving their worth to United time and time again? Is there no question mark over Fergusons involvement in this? Rooney is and was part of United too just like Ferguson, I don't understand how one day Rooney can be a hero and after a few words he is dirt!

Doesn't this forum thrive on not being knee jerk? Doesn't this forum not encourage opinions to be thought through?
Because he and Paul Stretford have been trying to slide out and leave the blame on the club rather than being honest perhaps?

Rednails

for now I will just have to disagree with you until there are further developments in this situation

but as for your second point, his personal did affect his professional life, enough to the point where he had to be dropped from the game at Everton because SAF wanted to protect him. That was complete bollocks. Drop your best player because he wouldn't be able to handle the crowd? And all this was due to infidelity?
SAF was trying to protect him from himself and probably getting sent off. He also gave him the weekend off and Coleen had her first meeting with him since the prostitute revelations.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter

Good post.

SittingBull

Seriously, i don't think any of us should have worries about Rooney's departure leaving the club shortchanged. The only problem is the Webster's ruling should that be valid and him being able to buy out his contract for 5mil. Other than that, we should play an auction game between City, Chelsea, Real and Barca. Preferably with Real, and getting players back in exchange.

Adebesi

I read somewhere much earlier today that Madrid might offer Diarra and Benzema and cash in exchange.

Complete baseless speculation no doubt but that seemed like the best option of all I have seen so far.

Unfortunately - and this is my own speculation - but I think Rooney will have his own ideas of where he wants to go and will just refuse to go anywhere else. And I suspect that his destination of choice will be City.

He holds all the cards in this game.

Rednails

I read somewhere much earlier today that Madrid might offer Diarra and Benzema and cash in exchange.

Complete baseless speculation no doubt but that seemed like the best option of all I have seen so far.

Unfortunately - and this is my own speculation - but I think Rooney will have his own ideas of where he wants to go and will just refuse to go anywhere else. And I suspect that his destination of choice will be Chelsea.

Are Chelsea going to make him their best paid player? I think not.

TheMancRedDevil

Unfortunately - and this is my own speculation - but I think Rooney will have his own ideas of where he wants to go and will just refuse to go anywhere else. And I suspect that his destination of choice will be Chelsea.

I would have thought wherever he goes, that team will need to offload a player to accomodate him. Who should we get from Chelsea?

I suppose I'd take Drogba and a bit of cash as a stop-gap... :D

An Irish Red

Seriously, i don't think any of us should have worries about Rooney's departure leaving the club shortchanged. The only problem is the Webster's ruling should that be valid and him being able to buy out his contract for 5mil. Other than that, we should play an auction game between City, Chelsea, Real and Barca. Preferably with Real, and getting players back in exchange.
That would certainly be the best option for us.

Barcelona don't need to be strengthened anymore and selling him to a domestic rival would be a terrible bit of business. If we could get Benzema and a bit of cash from Madrid we've come of as well as we could have hoped.

Still really confused as to why he suddenly wants to leave though.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

feck Diarra, Id rather have Kaka and Benzema.

United87

Somehow I believe Sir Alex. Call me foolish or loyal
What's the difference between me being loyal to one United employee and you to another.... it's not even that to be honest, all I'm saying is Sir Alex might not be totally faultless, is that so outrageous?

Brocky

So you are saying that the dialogue i suggested above is all that has been said and all that SAF knows is that he wants to leave and absolutely nothing else? Really? If so then you are beyond deluded.

I'm not sure if you are saying that you think that it's bollocks that he put himself in that position due to shagging around or that you think that SAF's explanation for dropping him for that reason was bollocks....

What's more important is that, knowing what we now know (that he's wanted to leave for some time), how can we be sure that that (shagging around) was the real reason the gaffer dropped him? If anything, it would just reinforce my speculation that SAF knows more than he is letting on.

Fact is, we never get the full story. You only have to speak to the folks that work in pretty much any job at OT and ask them for their opinions on the Glazers, transfer speculation, press stories or general club issues. You will very rarely get a personal opinion, if any kind of a reply at all. The whole organisation has a wall of internal privacy around it. That's the way it is and it wont change any time soon.

Adebesi

Been thinking a lot about this for the past few hours. I have a couple of theories.

Perhaps he was gang raped by all the players in an over zealous, post match celebration, and now whenever he goes into the home changing room he is reminded of it. He just cant bear to go in there anymore, hence wants to leave OT.

Or perhaps it is a similar situation to what Berbs went through in Bulgaria. Perhaps some gangsters are blackmailing him and have told him he has to go to City or they will kidnap him and do awful things to his genitalia.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Been thinking a lot about this for the past few hours. I have a couple of theories.

Perhaps he was gang raped by all the players in an over zealous, post match celebration, and now whenever he goes into the home changing room he is reminded of it. He just cant bear to go in there anymore, hence wants to leave OT.

Or perhaps it is a similar situation to what Berbs went through in Bulgaria. Perhaps some gangsters are blackmailing him and have told him he has to go to City or they will kidnap him and do awful things to his genitalia.

SittingBull

Is it just me feeling not too disappointed over Rooney's imminenet departure? I've never rated him among strikers like David Villa, Drogba, Eto, Torres etc. A goal in 6 months, and the many goalless streaks, and a tinge of disappointment that he didn't turn out as i expected from his early seasons with us. Its like he sort of stagnanted. I remember seeing him with all the long range efforts, dribblings and creativity. Now, its almost as if he is clumsy and his touch are mediocre. I'm not saying this as a knee jerk reaction, but i certainly felt a lot worst when i heard of Stam's, Ronaldo's departures and Ole's retirement.

Rednails

What's the difference between me being loyal to one United employee and you to another.... it's not even that to be honest, all I'm saying is Sir Alex might not be totally faultless, is that so outrageous?
Yes it is on a day like today. Are you always so insensitive and provocative?:nono:

TheMancRedDevil

Is it just me feeling not too disappointed over Rooney's imminenet departure? I've never rated him among strikers like David Villa, Drogba, Eto, Torres etc. A goal in 6 months, and the many goalless streaks, and a tinge of disappointment that he didn't turn out as i expected from his early seasons with us. Its like he sort of stagnanted. I remember seeing him with all the long range efforts, dribblings and creativity. Now, its almost as if he is clumsy and his touch are mediocre. I'm not saying this as a knee jerk reaction, but i certainly felt a lot worst when i heard of Stam's, Ronaldo's departures and Ole's retirement.
I suspect that if Rooney hadn't got injured last season and we'd gone on to win the PL and possibly another CL Final with Rooney bagging close on 40 goals and THEN he said he wanted to leave, you'd be feeling a bit different.

It's only because we haven't even seen Rooney play for seven months that the blow has perhaps been a bit lessened and if I am right about that then god knows what the reaction would have been like! :D

SittingBull

I suspect that if Rooney hadn't got injured last season and we'd gone on to win the PL and possibly another CL Final with Rooney bagging close on 40 goals and THEN he said he wanted to leave, you'd be feeling a bit different.

It's only because we haven't even seen Rooney play for seven months that the blow has perhaps been a bit lessened and if I am right about that then god knows what the reaction would have been like! :D

Not really.. i was among a few people who always felt Rooney was overrated, and not as influential as many of the rest. However, you do know how people react when anybody speak out against conventional opinions. That aside, Ronaldo was a special talent, and i felt shit hearing the news, and have trouble staying awake watching us play since his departure. As for Rooney, it isn't that difficult to find a poacher. With the service of a good midfield, even Hernandez or Berba could hit 30 goals a season, and that's where the problem lies, MIDFIELD.

darko

That would certainly be the best option for us.

Barcelona don't need to be strengthened anymore and selling him to a domestic rival would be a terrible bit of business. If we could get Benzema and a bit of cash from Madrid we've come of as well as we could have hoped.

I can't understand it either. Did he expect to be the highest paid player in the world? But, it seems he was not at all interested in resigning.
Ronaldo bothered me more because United had a chance at 4 consecutive titles. A feat no club has achieved in England before. To be a part of that is one for the ages. But, he couldn't give a rats ass about the team. I never thought of Rooney as being selfish. Perhaps I was wrong.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He's certainly not faultless, and I've no doubt that the press conference and MUTV interview today were both impeccably planned and acted out. I also don't doubt as fact anything that Fergie said. What could Fergie really have twisted? Do you think he's lying that Rooney said he wanted to leave two months ago? That he's been unwilling to listen to any contract offers? That he's adamant he's still wants to go? That's what Sir Alex said today, and those are the reasons people are pissed off at Rooney. He specifically veered away from offering any opinion on the matter.

In contrast, I'd have difficulty now believing anything from someone who cheated on his pregnant wife, blatantly and often. It would make me a shit juror, but oh well.