MERGED - The 2010/2011 ASHES tour thread...all Ashes related chat here please!

Nobody likes losing..but feck me Australia are bad at it.
A lot of the best teams tend to be, you couldn't always say Wenger and Ferguson were always gracious in defeat, Hodgson is much more often, that's why Wenger and Ferguson are better

Isn't there that quote

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

Spoony

The People's President
A lot of the best teams tend to be, you couldn't always say Wenger and Ferguson were always gracious in defeat, Hodgson is, that's why Wenger and Ferguson are better
True. When I were a wee lad, the Windies were the greatest...and no one enjoyed watching them lose, because they played the game in the right spirit. I think, unfairly, that cricket's different from other sports. It's clearly not...but the bar should be raised higher. I guess we live in a competitive world where sportsmanship's a thing of the past.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fairplay to Colly, would've been dropped anyway but might as well retire having won the Ashes.

Looking forward to seeing what Morgan can do in the Test arena, one of my favorite players in the ODI/T20 mode and he certainly has all the cricket shots to be a successful Test player. Hopefully he does well.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Nicely played Collingwood. Vaughan on TMS just admitted this is a decision made after the Perth Test, which is quite amusing as Vaughan strenuously denied Collingwood was going to retire this time last night when asked by Jonathan Agnew.

Still, Collingwood has a lot to offer 20 and 50 over cricket. Looking forward to seeing Morgan in the team this Summer.

CallyRed

Good decision from Colly.

Im more inclined to go with a "5 man" bowling attack in the short term rather than replacing Colly with a Morgan straight away.
I think we have some exciting bowling talent, and I would like to see a Anderson,Broad,Bresnan,Swann, and Tremlett attack or playing 2 spinners on the sub continent.

I doubt they will do this as they wouldn't want to upset the balance of the side, but would like to see this tried at least.

Spoony

The People's President
The SCG is an awful looking ground despite the beautiful Members' and Ladies' pavilions. And I'll count the seating rows later.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Feel sorry for Colly. I think he's been a fantastic servant and has definitely made the most of his ability. I like players like that. But definitely the right decision. His form has been a liability.

VP

Just saw the highlights from yesterday, poor from Hughes but poor sportsmanship from Bell as well. There's one thing not walking when you've nicked it but to ask for a review when you know you've nicked it is borderline cheating.

ha_rooney

Finally Australia get a breakthrough, Bresnan gone, good catch. 589-8

ha_rooney

First time ever in Test match history the partnerships at number 6, 7 and 8 have all scored 100+ runs. Incredible, more records being broken!

ha_rooney

Prior's brilliant innings brought to an end by an awful shot.

Wait a minute.... its another no ball - nope they've given it out, the slightest part of his shoe was behind the line.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why don't we just declare. Don't give them the satisfaction of bowling us out.
Because that's just small time. We've batted this far so we'll bat it out. We're smashing them, there's no reason to gondown that route to rub it in their faces.

ha_rooney

Aussies review the decision...fail with the review, Swann is still there

ha_rooney

Lunch and England are on 636-9, a massive lead of 356 runs.

I think Strauss should declare over lunch, have 5 full sessions to bowl the Aussies out. Another innings defeat is on the cards for Australia, this would be the 3rd one of the series!!

Phil

Equalled our best score ever in Aus, one more run please.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
On another note, I cannot understand how Johnson takes so many wickets. He looks awful, leaks runs everywhere, bowls terribly, looks like he cannot bat, yet you realise he has scored a 50 and taken 4 wickets. Very strange.