g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi at the World Cup - No Ronaldo comparisons!

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Must be heartbreaking for Argentinian fans right now, but I hope they don't blame Messi for this.

Next year they have the Copa America, and i'd say that's a must win.

imperi

Well done Fifa, well done. Really doing everything in their power to destroy all credibility.

Empire

Messi is one of the best ever.

The question I've always had is whether that Barcelona team is perfectly suited to him thus allowing him to express his absolute best, most players don't have this luxury, so when he is put in a team that isn't perfectly suited to his game then does that no longer make him the best in the world?

He won't leave Barcelona and they have world class talent constantly looking to feed Messi. In my opinion he needs to do better for Argentina at the world cup to show he is unarguably the very best in his generation because thus far he looks a different player and you get the impression when he isn't in a team perfectly suited to his game he is not the best in the world.

He will have one more chance, in the mean time he has to do what he can to ensure he gets back to his best next season.

That said, he just won player of the tournament so perhaps he was better than what I saw.

kamarumk

This is exactly like the bpitw award. Just give it to the most popular player...pffft

Nanook

In fairness to Messi, Maradona played in a far less competitive time, outside the big name teams there is far more good international teams today, there was only 16 teams in 1978 and 24 in 1986, Maradona beats him at international level but for his club side Messi has been far better. Overall Messi > Maradona.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I stick by my view that he's ill. I don't think he's injured, or unfit, I think he's not well. In fact if we hear he's having a few months off now I wouldn't be at all surprised.
That´s also my opinion. Something wrong with him. Lack of energy and puking. He will probably be "crucified" now but i think he had a good tournament. He really needs a long vacation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let it go. He's had a mare.
He clearly hasn't. How about we compare the performance of muller, one of the other contenders for best player of this tournament, to him today. What did muller exactly do? Messi threatened, beat defenders, was a threat. Muller did feck all. That's basically all to do with expectation. Messi had a very good tournament, blighted by some weird physical issues. But because it's nowhere near his usual top level, it's considered bad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Last season yes because you chose very poorly. United were awful and subsequently you were awful for picking them.
Nah. It was a joke. As an adult, I don't think your idol footballer/team achievements is something you should be proud of. I agreed that they bring immense pleasure for yourself, though.

Agent Red

As if he's won the Golden Ball. Completely mental decision and exactly what makes me sick of the Messi wankfest that goes on despite he himself clearly being a fairly decent bloke and obviously a brilliant footballer.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I thought he had a good first half. The best I've seen from in months (since February!) in fact.

I stick by my view that he's ill. I don't think he's injured, or unfit, I think he's not well. In fact if we hear he's having a few months off now I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Yep, I think that's inevitable.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
In fairness to Messi, Maradona played in a far less competitive time
Not sure if that's serious.. You mention Messi's club success as a reason why he's better than Maradona, when Messi has played in the most dominant club team of all time and Maradona played for a Napoli side which had never once won the league before Maradona, and has never won it again since Maradona left.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Overall he has a good WC but not a great one.. Winning the golden balls is really a joke.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Nah. It was a joke. As an adult, I don't think your idol footballer/team achievements is something you should be proud of. I agreed that they bring immense pleasure for yourself, though.
I was also just joking. Was hoping to get a good response from Amol.

amolbhatia50k

Not sure if that's serious.. You mention Messi's club success as a reason why he's better than Maradona, when Messi has played in the most dominant club team of all time and Maradona played for a Napoli side which had never once won the league before Maradona, and has never won it again since Maradona left.
Messi is the biggest reason they were the most dominant club of all time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He clearly hasn't. How about we compare the performance of muller, one of the other contenders for best player of this tournament, to him today. What did muller exactly do? Messi threatened, beat defenders, was a threat. Muller did feck all. That's basically all to do with expectation. Messi had a very good tournament, blighted by some weird physical issues. But because it's nowhere near his usual top level, it's considered bad.
He hasn't done much in the knockout stage... where best player of the tournament usually delivers

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Messi wan't the biggest ingredient in Barcelona's success?

I would have said he was.

George Feeny

Its ridiculous the standard he's held to isn't it?
As you said, compare him to Muller who did fek all tonight.
Cristiano who stunk up the place and missed 6 sitters that would have seen his team advance from the group stages.
Robben who was awful in his last match.
Rooney who was woeful all tournament.

If these are his competition for the best in the world tag, he's arguably outperformed all of them. And still gets castigated at every turn.:eek:

Duafc

Village Lemon
Did you even watch Argentina at the WC/Tonight?

By your logic he could carry any team, it's not as if Argentina are that limited either.

A laughably biased disservice to Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Sanchez, Fabregas and almost every other Barca player and even more importantly, managers and coaches.

Again, laughable.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You're very defensive when it comes to Messi. Really strange.

You're also kidding yourself if you think Napoli were anything like as good as Barcelona. It's not really a contentious point, Maradona faced a far tougher level of competition than Messi did at club level. At their peak Barcelona were better than every team they faced whereas Napoli were just one team in a competitive league.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Should never have gotten it, and I very much doubt he even wanted the award.

Overall he has had a good tournament. He played well tonight and looked dangerous whenever he had the ball.

I feel sorry for messi, but the right team have won the WC

amolbhatia50k

You're very defensive when it comes to Messi. Really strange.

You're also kidding yourself if you think Napoli were anything like as good as Barcelona. It's not really a contentious point, Maradona faced a far tougher level of competition than Messi did at club level. At their peak Barcelona were better than every team they faced whereas Napoli were just one team in a competitive league.
When did I say that exactly?

justboy68

Obviously wasn't the best player, but he was still good without a doubt. He shouldn't come in for too much criticism, none of the Argentina team should really, they came pretty close.