Messi in Miami

wr8_utd

:'(
What a waste of time PSG turned out to be.

It's an early retirement but doubt he gives a feck, he achieved his ultimate goal last Christmas. He can play a bit of football whilst relaxing in a great city, he'll barely need to train.
Not really to be honest. He spent two years playing with his great friend Neymar, he got to stay fit and work himself into form and win the World Cup. And also won 2-3 trophies at PSG while at it and probably got hundreds of millions. Seems a great two years for him personally but maybe not so for PSG.

wr8_utd

No, that part was settled at Barcelona. And he is still not playing for Newell's Old Boys, though he did mention that he worried about safety in Argentina.
And he ended up with Neville's Old Boys instead.

Not really to be honest. He spent two years playing with his great friend Neymar, he got to stay fit and work himself into form and win the World Cup. And also won 2-3 trophies at PSG while at it and probably got hundreds of millions. Seems a great two years for him personally but maybe not so for PSG.
I mean that he didn't really perform and they didn't win anything they weren't going to win anyway. I guess he got to cycle himself perfectly for the World Cup.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Football is honestly never going to be quite the same. At least we have a freak goalscorer playing for our local rivals.

mshnsh

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.
Messi was on ballond'or podium at 20 while Ronaldo was on it at 22. And he was a far better footballer in his teens too. So, atleast 16 season at elite level which is one more than Cristiano. Consider both the beginning and the end, not just the end.

And than consider that Messi has always been the far better allround footballer and atleast as good a goalscorer. Ronaldo has been a fantastic goalscorer, the rest of his game has always been much Inferior.

And than consider that Messi has won everything for club and country as the best player.
U20 world cup
Olympic gold
Continental cup (copa America)
World cup
Ucl titles
Leagues
Domestic cups

He has been player of the tournament for his country 7 times.

Vs
Ronaldo's
Euro cup (he wasn't even the best player or top scorer. I'd argue he wasn't even good in the tournament).
Ucl titles (1 more but do you remember watching any of those games thinking he was amazing other than scoring goals? I don't)
Leagues (2 vs Messi's 7 while in the same league, player of the season only once to Messi's 7 in the 9 season while in the same league)
Domestic cups.
He has 0 goals and assists in WC knock outs
Did not do anything in the 2004 Olympics
Did not participate in u20 world cups.

And than
7 ballond'ors (maybe 8) vs 5 ballond'ors.
7 fifa awards vs 5.

it's either Pele (never sawa him and purely based on hearsay) or Messi who are the top 2 greatest ever.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
US is always the best place to live true celebrity lifestyle.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I said months ago that the MLS had to get this deal done for the sake of the future growth of the league. They are going to throw so much cash his way and it will be completely worth it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi was on ballond'or podium at 20 while Ronaldo was on it at 22. And he was a far better footballer in his teens too. So, atleast 16 season at elite level which is one more than Cristiano. Consider both the beginning and the end, not just the end.

And than consider that Messi has always been the far better allround footballer and atleast as good a goalscorer. Ronaldo has been a fantastic goalscorer, the rest of his game has always been much Inferior.

And than consider that Messi has won everything for club and country as the best player.
U20 world cup
Olympic gold
Continental cup (copa America)
World cup
Ucl titles
Leagues
Domestic cups

He has been player of the tournament for his country 7 times.

Vs
Ronaldo's
Euro cup (he wasn't even the best player or top scorer. I'd argue he wasn't even good in the tournament).
Ucl titles (1 more but do you remember watching any of those games thinking he was amazing other than scoring goals? I don't)
Leagues (2 vs Messi's 7 while in the same league, player of the season only once to Messi's 7 in the 9 season while in the same league)
Domestic cups.
He has 0 goals and assists in WC knock outs
Did not do anything in the 2004 Olympics
Did not participate in u20 world cups.

And than
7 ballond'ors (maybe 8) vs 5 ballond'ors.
7 fifa awards vs 5.

it's either Pele (never sawa him and purely based on hearsay) or Messi who are the top 2 greatest ever.
Well I guess at least Ronaldo CL records is secured for now... until another decade with the likes of Haaland looking ready to take it.

whitbyviking

Argentina is cowboy country financially, so I would imagine that side of it isn't particularly attractive to him either.

Wonder how he'll do in the US, does the country still need to "take off" in terms of football?

Bertie Wooster

Messi had a iconic WC though as the best player. Not quite the same.
True.

I've just never really got the idea that a top player still has to win a World Cup to elevate to another level. When there's many players over the years who've got a world cup winners medal who no-one would claim to be anywhere near the elite world class group of players under discussion. So winning a world cup obviously isn't 'proof' of anything in and of itself.

Though, as you say, performing very well in it as well helps. Though if Messi's team mates missed their penalties, or Martinez didn't get up to his s**thousery and they'd lost on penalties, it's strange that that would that really make that much difference to judging Messi's career.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Probably better to be able to keep a low profile to, soccer whilst is a highly rated sport in the States i'd argue a large number of the population wouldnt even know who Messi is
This is a good point as well. A lot of people will have no idea who he is unless they are told so.

NYC would be perfect for him if it wasn't for the weather. Even if he is recognized, people will pretend not to care because of the insane levels of self-importance :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Underrated and not so important but eventually we will hear Messi speak fluently in English.

RVN1991

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.
People are still defending Ronaldo in here? :lol: Who cares.

Once Messi got his WC he basically completed football.

Gehrman

True.

I've just never really got the idea that a top player still has to win a World Cup to elevate to another level. When there's many players over the years who've got a world cup winners medal who no-one would claim to be anywhere near the elite world class group of players under discussion. So winning a world cup obviously isn't 'proof' of anything in and of itself.

Though, as you say, performing very well in it as well helps. Though if Messi's team mates missed their penalties, or Martinez didn't get up to his s**thousery and they'd lost on penalties, it's strange that that would that really make that much difference to judging Messi's career.
That's why i was puzzled before the WC when i told people that Messi had 1000 games under his belt before that and if that isnt enough games to gauge him then i dont know what is.

Baneofthegame

Can’t keep the Messi vs CR7 to that hellhole of a thread?

Good move for him at this stage of his career, really thought he would go back to Barca before going back to Old Boys for a year to end his career.

Gehrman

People are still defending Ronaldo in here? :lol: Who cares.

Once Messi got his WC he basically completed football.
Cryuff was boss and had a cool ending at his career at 37. Cryuff > Pelé, Messi, Maradona and Ronaldo.

GMoore23

Any betting available for MLS next season yet. Messi top scorer?

Rojow

I think it is the best option given the circumstances. Messi is about to turn 36, not to mention that he has already completed football, he has done everything and always commented that he would like to live in the USA.

On the other hand, considering that the MLS season does not completely coincide with the European seasons, it is more than clear that he could go on loan to Barcelona, if this does not take immediate effect.

Going to the USA and not Arabia, well, I think it speaks more about Messi than anything else. Finally, Barcelona's problems are not their concern and apparently they are not going to be resolved in a short time.

slored1

Meh. A shame that two greatest players of their generations will spend their last years in Miami and Saudi Arabia.

wr8_utd

Honestly a little relieved that he's not going to Saudi Arabia. I'm sure he'll be earning hundreds of millions in Miami as well but Saudi Arabia would feel a bit disappointing.

Cole9

Good move for him. What a place to live.

Maybe that other guy might’ve considered USA as well, if it wasn’t for that alleged incident.

poleglass red

Martino touted as possible new Miami manager. My old memory seems to recall that didn't Messi have issues with him in the past or am i imagining that

T_Model101

Would Messi be able to be loaned to Barca every year to play in the Champions League?
A la Beckham back in the day