Messi in Miami

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I thought this was one of those “Torres signs” threads.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Miami is the perfect choice for him… His wife and kids will love it. And he won’t feel estrange. I think i read 75% over there speak spanish… The quality of life will be much better than Paris.
Yep. Massive Cuban community there. Also a decent number of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Columbians, and Venezuelans. You can easily live in Miami and never leave the Spanish language world.

FriedClams

Seems like a lifestyle choice for his wife rather than him. At the end of the day, it's still florida and its a crazy place.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You just know that Trump is gonna claim credit for this one!
:lol: He probably thinks Messi is a word.

Edit: Dang.. it is a word, but what I meant as a functional word, not a name.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair play to him if true. Kills my thread about his avarice too, that’s to say whatever he’s being paid there he would have got shittonnes more than in S.A.
No, that part was settled at Barcelona. And he is still not playing for Newell's Old Boys, though he did mention that he worried about safety in Argentina.

VP

Even in his choice of semi retirement, he one ups Ronaldo.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's a shame pip Nev didn't get a chance to manage him

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No, that part was settled at Barcelona. And he is still not playing for Newell's Old Boys, though he did mention that he worried about safety in Argentina.
Argentina must be seriously bad if the safer alternative is the US!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Joking aside, he'd easily get 500m per year playing in SA.

Supports
Barcelona
Barca dodged a bullet. Emotional decisions seldom work out.
I admit, it was mainly emotional for most of us, but one can't deny that a relaxing walking Messi could still have got us 40 goals and assists per season.

And last season proved that we're lacking in attack. We won La Liga because of our defence.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Good move. No point going back to Barcelona because they wouldn't win the champions league. Better to retire from Europe on a high winning the world cup

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bit sad but at least it's not Saudi Arabia. Really hoped he rejoined Barca, mind.

NYAS

Really hope the kids will be home-schooled.

Bertie Wooster

Good move. No point going back to Barcelona because they wouldn't win the champions league. Better to retire from Europe on a high winning the world cup
That was December in Qatar. I guess he actually retired from Europe in June, being booed by the PSG fans. But, yeah, not much more to achieve in the game - or likely to achieve at his age - so good time to make the move. And a good move to make.

SER19

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.

devil99

I read somewhere he will be given a share from gate receipts or similar sort, future share in one of the franchises etc. He will be getting at least 60 to 75% of what he could have got from KSA move.
So all in all good choice.

FriedClams

I mean his other option was Saudi and with the money he has in the bank his family are set for life anyway, I'd say living in the States is much more preferable than living in Saudi by quite a distance
This is true of others who have gone to saudi.... wonder why they chose there.

GinobiliTheGOAT

That was December in Qatar. I guess he actually retired from Europe in June, being booed by the PSG fans. But, yeah, not much more to achieve in the game - or likely to achieve at his age - so good time to make the move. And a good move to make.
no one will remember the psg years

GinobiliTheGOAT

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.
Winning the World Cup at 35 >>>> anything in serie a where Ronaldo has far less to do for the team than Messi does based on their respective positions. Serie a is the same league that had the likes of Quagliarella and Immobile beings respective top scorers.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

That works both ways, though, because Messi became world class at an earlier age. It depends on what you define as world class but most likely you'd define Ronaldo's 07/08 and Messi's 08/09 as the moments they became top 2 players in world football. Which means they basically had the same longevity.

Anyway, longevity is overrated, IMO.

jamesjimmybyrondean

PSG didn't happen

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surprised he chose the MLS over the money in Saudi. Good choice though I’d say. Much better and more popular league.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Early retirement is a thing lately I guess? He’s got nothing to prove and I can see why living in Miami is more alluring than in Jeddah :lol:
Average retirement age for footballers is 35.

Bertie Wooster

Winning the World Cup at 35 >>>> anything in serie a where Ronaldo has far less to do for the team than Messi does based on their respective positions. Serie a is the same league that had the likes of Quagliarella and Immobile beings respective top scorers.
True, not every leading scorer in a top league season is automatically world class. But the same applies with World Cup winners, too, don't forget. Many greats of the game have never won it, while many players with a World Cup Winners medal are going to be a long way down the list in any 'Greats' discussion. Not sure how you'd rate Iaquinta and Toni compared to Quagliarella and Immobile, but the former are World Cup winners from 2006. Wouldn't say that pushes them too high up the Greats list.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
True, not every leading scorer in a top league season is automatically world class. But the same applies with World Cup winners, too, don't forget. Many greats of the game have never won it, while many players with a World Cup Winners medal are going to be a long way down the list in any 'Greats' discussion. Not sure how you'd rate Iaquinta and Toni compared to Quagliarella and Immobile, but the former are World Cup winners from 2006. Wouldn't say that pushes them too high up the Greats list.
Messi had a iconic WC though as the best player. Not quite the same.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It makes sense, in that he doesn't need the extra £100m + Saudi are offering and the lifestyle in Miami is going to be slightly different to Riyadh...

Retirement to MLS pretty much and not too far from home either.