Messi in Miami

jm99

Good move for him. What a place to live.

Maybe that other guy might’ve considered USA as well, if it wasn’t for that alleged incident.
People keep saying this but the case was dismissed, there was zero chance of him facing a criminal prosecution if he went there

antk

People keep saying this but the case was dismissed, there was zero chance of him facing a criminal prosecution if he went there
Even outside of potential legal troubles, there's the slight issue of public opinion. It only got overlooked in Europe due to his outstanding popularity.

Cloud7

Even though he’s been at PSG it still seems so weird to see Messi in a non Barcelona/Argentina shirt

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s getting a revenue share from Apple on the league, as well as future franchise owning rights like Beckham. They also be laying him a fortune.

MLS will get some extra eyes for two seasons. Then he’ll retire and people will stop watching again.

el3mel

Messi in MLS and Ronaldo in KSA. Who would have seen this coming ?

Lee565

He's done it on his own terms unlike ronaldo, messi could probably still walk into a host of top clubs in Europe but seems to want to put his family life first

el3mel

It happens to most top players, eventually they go to a random country for big money.
These two aren't just top players though, are they ? They were the best in their eras.

If you asked this question years ago, I bet most would have predicted both to retire at Barca and Madrid, especially Messi.

frostbite

A massive mansion on the water in South Beach, plus very close (in relative terms) to Argentina.
There is also a "Little Buenos Aires" in Miami. Or at least there was the last time I visited (20+ years ago...). Anyway, there are a lot of latin people in Miami, he will certainly feel like he is at home.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good move for him. What a place to live.

Maybe that other guy might’ve considered USA as well, if it wasn’t for that alleged incident.
If alleged incidents were enough to stop you getting into the USA, then half of the premier league wouldn't be able to even go for pre season friendlies.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He's done it on his own terms unlike ronaldo, messi could probably still walk into a host of top clubs in Europe but seems to want to put his family life first
If by ‘his own terms’ you mean he’s gone somewhere that will pay him what he wants… yes.

Melvin Udall

Miami's second language is pretty much Spanish anyway.
I think more than 50% of Miami citizens speak Spanish at home. By some metrics, that would make it #1

this move makes a lot of sense if money is not so important that he’d be willing to make his family live in Riyadh.

the quality of life will be about as good as any city in the world for his family. They can get by speaking Spanish, but his kids can learn English, which will be good for their futures. And it’s basically the midway point between Argentina and Barcelona. And although he will still be very recognizable, he won’t be hounded all the time like he has been. Baseball is more popular with most Hispanics in Florida.

SER19

People are still defending Ronaldo in here? :lol: Who cares.

Once Messi got his WC he basically completed football.
what the feck are you talking about? who's 'defending' anybody

Christ, why do I fall into the trap of posting about either of these players. It's like kicking a wasps nest but the wasps nest is full of weird football fans.

Literally the most tame maths based opinion, pointing out the cherry picking that fans on both 'sides' are guilty of and it's the green smileys and 'completed football' nonsense posts I'd expect on twitter.

Lesson learned, once again.

Just Hope

If you ignore the fact that he will most likely play against opposition that are like those orange practice cones they use, we will get to see old Messi back.

Todd

Amazing thing to see for us Yanks. The league has come a long way in terms of its marketing, infrastructure, and quality of play in its 27 years, and a signing like this will only help things along just like when Beckham arrived.

I am hoping Messi is fit and playing when Miami come to Chicago or Cincinnati so I can see him play.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
There is also a "Little Buenos Aires" in Miami. Or at least there was the last time I visited (20+ years ago...). Anyway, there are a lot of latin people in Miami, he will certainly feel like he is at home.
While he will feel more at home in Miami than in Paris( because of language).

It is important to notice than argentinian culture is pretty much different from caribbean culture, which is what he is gonna find the most in Miami because most of the spanish speaking communities in Miami are from Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.

More at home than Paris? Definitely(because of the language) but not at all like 'at home' (Rosario, Argentina).

Eddy_JukeZ

Can't wait to watch him live, but I am a bit surprised he decided to move now.

I thought he could have played at least 2 seasons in Europe, but winning the WC was the perfect cap for his legacy, so he might as well enjoy life in a lesser league.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
He’s getting a revenue share from Apple on the league, as well as future franchise owning rights like Beckham. They also be laying him a fortune.

MLS will get some extra eyes for two seasons. Then he’ll retire and people will stop watching again.
Hopefully the IRS will be on point to make sure Messi pays his taxes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I just got back from Miami, didn’t see him.