Messi in Miami

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's less of a cnut than the other guy.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Almost everyone in Miami speaks Spanish.
Not almost everyone, and it's always completely overstated. Miami has a large population of Spanish-speaking descent, but it doesn't represent the Spanish-speaking population.

All the signs are still in English, and most people in the service industry will speak to him in English first. Unless he's in a bubble, he will be fluent in English.

RVN1991

Not almost everyone, and it's always completely overstated. Miami has a large population of Spanish-speaking descent, but it doesn't represent the Spanish-speaking population.

All the signs are still in English, and most people in the service industry will speak to him in English first. Unless he's in a bubble, he will be fluent in English.
Know plenty of people who have lived in the US for years speaking minimal English if any at all. He's going to live in his own bubble anyway, look at Tevez, all those years in England and the bloke just had no interest in learning it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would Messi be able to be loaned to Barca every year to play in the Champions League?
A la Beckham back in the day
Don’t think it’s fair to Miami and their sponsors should they allow Messi to loan out after paying huge fees for him.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

Are you from Miami? Agree with all that but he wouldn't have to know or speak English because almost everyone speaks Spanish and that would be his preferred language of communication. He can and maybe will learn English but it won't be necessary.

frostbite

Of course he lives in a bubble. He is Messi. Everyone knows him. And he always has an entourage with him, and they all speak Spanish to him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Meh. A shame that two greatest players of their generations will spend their last years in Miami and Saudi Arabia.
I don’t see the shame part? They should turn into squad players at European clubs - how is that better? I don’t see the issue in trying a new experience late in your career which both earns you a lot of dough and puts a spotlight on a different league. I’m sure he’d continue getting a goal or assist a game next season whether at Barcelona or in Italy but what’s the actual point? The guy achieved everything he dreamt of once that final penalty went in at the WC.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Are you from Miami? Agree with all that but he wouldn't have to know or speak English because almost everyone speaks Spanish and that would be his preferred language of communication. He can and maybe will learn English but it won't be necessary.
I'm from Houston, which has a similar percentage of Spanish speakers, and I've been to Miami many times. No "almost everyone" does not speak Spanish even though a large percentage of the population does. Even MLB players who are on teams with so many Spanish-speaking players end up learning English. He's going to have to try really hard not to learn English.

Ted Lasso

Yup. You can easily get away with just Spanish in Miami

Eriku

I’ll definitely tune in for a few matches to see him send defenders into the stands with his body feints :drool:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sure the idea of giving him percentage of shirt sales, apple TV and MLS franchise is to have him actually playing over there?
The MLS plays over the summer, if he was loaned out that would only cover the winter months, such loans have been done with a number of players in the past, most notably by Beckham

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Not exactly in my experience, with the exception of some high end hotels. Pretty much everywhere in downtown and South Beach, people were coming at me with Spanish first. I don't look gringo though. Messi is an international icon so they'll know to speak to him in Spanish.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not exactly in my experience, with the exception of some high end hotels. Pretty much everywhere in downtown and South Beach, people were coming at me with Spanish first. I don't look gringo though. Messi is an international icon so they'll know to speak to him in Spanish.
TBH I suspect most folks down there will have no idea who he is, football in FL means the Glazer's and the Buccs, baseball is the real big sport

Redfrog

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.
Ronaldo was mocked because of his interview. He was deluded thinking United was not good enough for him and finished in Saudia.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
TBH I suspect most folks down there will have no idea who he is, football in FL means the Glazer's and the Buccs, baseball is the real big sport
Maybe so if we were in the 80s and 90s, but today football is a big deal in all major US metropolitan areas, especially in places like Miami where so much of the population are Latino, coming from South and Central America. Also many Europeans who live there too.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think it's a sad moment (professionally) due to the fact that I believe he can contribute at a higher level (think he would be good for a season in Seria A) but his name value probably means he won't be used in the capacity that he should be (limited minutes/ substitutions etc) while also feeling a personal sadness that I probably will never see him play live.

I guess it works for him on multiple levels (Money , distance to Argentina for international games etc etc) but I would have liked to see another season in Europe.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Interesting. I've been to Miami (and the wider South Florida area) a couple of times. Even in Little Havana, I never felt like I needed to lean on my barely passable Spanish.

Let's not forget Miami isn't only Spanish speaking... They do have Little Haiti north of downtown.

Messi should be fine regardless. Despite my experience Spanish is the lesser lingua franca of the area so even us gringos will have to dust off the "como estas" speaking to him :D

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm from Houston, which has a similar percentage of Spanish speakers, and I've been to Miami many times. No "almost everyone" does not speak Spanish even though a large percentage of the population does. Even MLB players who are on teams with so many Spanish-speaking players end up learning English. He's going to have to try really hard not to learn English.
Gotcha. And why isn't he speaking fluent French already?
Yup. You can easily get away with just Spanish in Miami
I know I'm there often.

The Firestarter

Crazy opinion. If it was Arkansas you might have got a point. But fecking Miami :lol:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm in NY and that's how I get approached. I do look more Spanish that Indian. It's pretty much our second language here. It's spoken everywhere and he'll be alright speaking his own language.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm assuming he will spend most of his time in the high-class areas due to his wealth. There is no doubt some will speak to him in Spanish but I think he will be around so much English he will learn even in passing. IIRC he is on record saying he knows English but doesn't feel comfortable speaking it.

scottser

he's going to get a cut of the tv rights, the jersey sales, etc.
mmmm gravy. lovely, lovely gravy.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Gotcha. And why isn't he speaking fluent French already?

I know I'm there often.
I can't say, but English is the lingua franca of the world. He is probably already exposed to it and knows some without even living in an English-speaking country. He will be immersed in the language now. I would be shocked if he isn't giving fluent English interviews within a year.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're thinking of the Florida that's more in tune with the rest of the Deep South (Tallahassee, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Pensacola) :D. I'd wager college football > football in many parts

From West Palm Beach down, Messi is getting recognized

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm in NY and that's how I get approached. I do look more Spanish that Indian. It's pretty much our second language here. It's spoken everywhere and he'll be alright speaking his own language.
Messi could easily pass as an Italian. I live in NYC as well but I'm black so I don't have to worry about getting approached speaking Spanish :D

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ronaldo was mocked because of his interview. He was deluded thinking United was not good enough for him and finished in Saudia.
Also Messi will be 36 in a few weeks. Ronaldo wins the longevity contest by still being a decent poacher at 37. Who cares tbh. Messi was a better young player than Ronaldo and hit his prime earlier.

Gehrman

Can't wait to see Beckham pinging in crosses for Messi's headers

mshnsh

Also Messi will be 36 in a few weeks. Ronaldo wins the longevity contest by still being a decent poacher at 37. Who cares tbh. Messi was a better young player than Ronaldo and hit his prime earlier.
My issue with longevity while comparing the 2 is why ignore the beginning?Ronaldo became world class many months after turning 21. Messi was world class months before he turned 20. That's 2 years there.

And it's not like Messi has been forced to leave Europe; PSG wanted him to extend, Barcelona wanted him to sign for them, apparently there were others who wanted him. It is his own decision to semi retire while at the top (a world champion and reigning FIFA best winner, potentially a ballond'or winner) instead of becoming a parody like his rival.

bosskeano

A massive mansion on the water in South Beach, plus very close (in relative terms) to Argentina.
he already owns a penthouse at one of the high rise buildings

https://en.as.com/en/2021/11/02/soccer/1635885986_481270.html

Argentine superstar Lionel Messi decided to buy an entire floor of a luxury condo building in Miami for $7.3 million

The condo he purchased is located in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida and it's roughly 10 miles away from Miami Beach. The Paris Saint-Germain player purchased the entire ninth floor that has four bedrooms, four-and-a-half bathrooms, 2,100 square feet of terrace space and a 1,000 bottle-wine cooler included.

Still a 9 hour flight!
better than a 14 hour flight from barcelona

Gehrman

Apart from the poster obviously getting Ronnie's age wrong this sums it up.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He would have won another balon dor at 36 in the la liga just like benzema. shame