Messi in Miami

JogaBonitoRooney

Also Barca allegedly had the refs in their pocket for a big part of his peak which can't have not helped... (Just look at the Van Persie Red card from 2011...) There's a lot of salt around mentioning Argentina 2022 but quite a few pro's said publically what was going on at the World Cup including your club captain.
In the first leg of that game Messi had a disallowed goal for offside when it was perfectly onside. Barca would have been 2-0 up if they allowed the goal which they should have. Cry some more.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
There's a lot of salt around mentioning Argentina 2022 but quite a few pro's said publically what was going on at the World Cup including your club captain.
I am sure the salt is all yours. if referees wanted Argentina to win, there is no way they award two penalties to France in the actual final.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I am sure the salt is all yours. if referees wanted Argentina to win, there is no way they award two penalties to France in the actual final.
I think you quoted another poster. That certainly isnt me.

Gehrman

Balon dor is a utter farce.
Its very much an oscars thing. If France had won the WC it would be between Haaland and Mpabbe. Its often a narrative. Unfortunately for Haaland, Messi had his last dance narrative at the WC which was iconic. Speaking purely objectively i wouldn't object if Haaland won it, but Messi had a great season overall as well. I think it should close, still we only have leaks, but it looks like Messi will take it.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
A fairytale career is honored for the last time with a Ballon D'or. We'll probably never see a player with 8 Ballon D'Ors again in our lifetime. What a blessing to have followed him every weekend for all these years.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
From all the "typical" Ballon D'Or winners related to the WC, him with Modric are perhaps the ones that had more going on for them, but neither in an strict footballing sense had ALL going on for them to take it.

Nor Zizou, nor R9, etc had seasons to back up totally their prize. And also in some cases is not even clear as water that some of this fellas had the best perfomances in their NT's among their mates to obtain the Cup.

Yet this has a lot to do in most of these cases, to the extreme romanticism of WCs (that I do not share in an strict footballing sense) mixed with a compliment to the player's carreer (in some cases ICONIC ones) and even to compliment a role with others (Modric/Fabio)

Some people complains that with the whole Messi/CR silly rivalry the WC lost weight to give it based mostly on it again, but it's not really that true.

In 2010, Xavi and Iniesta had the "bad" luck of having in their own team a Genius in the top of his game, while in the WC (bar Iniesta's ultimate iconic goal) Villa more than probably was their best and more important player, while neither Busi, Xavi or Iniesta were in their Euro level, was more of a gritty affair (like WCs tend to be) to obtain it.
Of course either of the two winning it would have been more than fine, but also remember that the Madrid press suddenly loved players from Barsa if that means fvcking Messi in the meantime.

In 2014 the Champs didn't had an Iconic type of player (like The Kaiser or at least a Lothar), or an off the charts one and it was a TEAM (full of elite and world class players and an all time GOAT keeper in Neuer) achievement

In 2018 is a very similar case in some aspects like the current B D'Or, even if Luka didn't win the WC, but achieved an extraordinary position for Croatia that is not a Powerhouse, more than probably wasn't the a clear cut best perfomance by a player in his NT during the Cup (Perisic had a an incredible WC) yet he is there, but in Madrid this status is almost clear not. The prize had a lot do with his carreer, to give the prize to a player in midfield role, when there wasn't an off the charts season (for their own level comparison) from the usual duo and to recognize Modric's extraordinary carreer with that WC final pushing it.
In fact when Cannavaro received it, was almost like a Prize to the whole history of Italian defenders (not just Italy winning the WC), in an strict sense, that Italy more than probably wouldn't even be close to that title without Pirlo's perfomance in the Cup itself.

It's a very bizarre Prize, it's closer to a popularity, mkt, achievements, stats and mere players, coaches etc simple subjective predilections than anything else.
Most of the times even if we preffer someone else to get it, the one that gets it, has its merits too.

The really silly, bordering stupid stuff would have been to give it to Jorginho like once was named, stupid was to not give it to Lewa in 2020, that was deserved as fvck, the whole suspension of the Prize was stupid. Bordering insanity is to not have Milito even being among the ones to be in the discussion in 2010 and utterly moronic was when players outside of Europe couldn't win it

If Halland takes it, is way more than ok, if Messi takes it, would be more in the line of when Modric, R9, Zizou got it and its fine too. It "helps" Messi that Erling isn't precisly an off the charts footballer per se bar stats and that he had a below par (for his standards) end of the season, Kevin would have been pushing it a bit too much in terms of his individual season, but he had really great vital moments and titles to back it up, Rodri in fact makes a lot of sense, but at the same time in a WC period Spain really had a bad tournament and Halland in his same team decided to break some records.

Last edited:

heraklion

Messi deserves this way more than anyone else, period.

Haaland was not even the best player of his team last year, that was KDB or Rodri, with Haaland always ghosting in semis and finals. 7 semis & finals, and 0 goals + assists. In these 7 games, City scored 12 goals with Haaland 0, the worst player by far on the pitch when he does not score. Not surprisingly, Rodri was chosen as the official CL player of the year. You don't win Ballon D'or as a striker with those 0 goal stats in 7 semis & final games when your team scored 12 especially in a WC year when one guy led his team to WC glory in a legendary manner.

If France won the WC, it would be Mbappe getting Ballon D'or with that WC performance not Haaland again..

Messi won the WC as the best player in an iconic fashion establishing himself as a WC legend. He was chosen as the IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker in the world over KDB, won FIFA Best. His club stats are quite impressive as well. He led Europe in assists, dribbles, chance creation, per game ratings, MOTM stats matching KDB and young stars Vinicius, Mbappe at the club level. Mbappe had 45 g+a in 42 games in Ligue 1 & CL while Messi had 39 g+a in 40 games..

Messi 2022/23
68 g&a
WC MVP
WC g&a leader
FIFA Best
IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker
Laureus Sportsman of the year

Ligue 1 assist leader
Most MOTM in Europe (14 vs Mbappe with 7)
Highest per game rating in Europe
Europe 2nd most assists total in the league + CL (right after KDB)
Europe 2nd most big chance creation (right after Bruno)
Europe 2nd most successful dribbles (right after Vinicius)
39 G+A in 40 games in Ligue 1 + CL (vs Mbappe with 45 G+A in 42 games).

Last edited:

JogaBonitoRooney

Messi will and should win it this year. He still has more left in the tank.

If he wins MLS and Copa next year he should win it again. He's good enough to play in 2026 WC. If he wins that then he should win Ballon D'or again.

It's not over. He is the GOAT!

Pocho

Probably will play.

He can't run, just strolls around for 90 mins. Sure on the ball he's world class still and he's tearing up the MLS... That'll be similar for the next WC.

It's also a reason why his teams struggled in the CL knockouts last 5+ years. Can't carry even Messi at that level off the ball

Argentina had the refs with them at the world cup and the level is lower generally. It's funny he compares his FCB time and national team considering what we know about the refs during that period now...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Probably will play.

He can't run, just strolls around for 90 mins. Sure on the ball he's world class still and he's tearing up the MLS... That'll be similar for the next WC.

It's also a reason why his teams struggled in the CL knockouts last 5+ years. Can't carry even Messi at that level off the ball

Argentina had the refs with them at the world cup and the level is lower generally. It's funny he compares his FCB time and national team considering what we know about the refs during that period now...
Such a stupid opinion to hold. Dearie me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It would be the right decision. If France had won the final I’d understand Mbappe getting it but the rest - KDB, Haaland whoever - aren’t really at that level.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Messi deserves this way more than anyone else, period.

Haaland was not even the best player of his team last year, that was KDB or Rodri, with Haaland always ghosting in semis and finals. 7 semis & finals, and 0 goals + assists. In these 7 games, City scored 12 goals with Haaland 0, the worst player by far on the pitch when he does not score. Not surprisingly, Rodri was chosen as the official CL player of the year. You don't win Ballon D'or as a striker with those 0 goal stats in 7 semis & final games when your team scored 12 especially in a WC year when one guy led his team to WC glory in a legendary manner.

If France won the WC, it would be Mbappe getting Ballon D'or with that WC performance not Haaland again..

Messi won the WC as the best player in an iconic fashion establishing himself as a WC legend. He was chosen as the IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker in the world over KDB, won FIFA Best. His club stats are quite impressive as well. He led Europe in assists, dribbles, chance creation, per game ratings, MOTM stats matching KDB and young stars Vinicius, Mbappe at the club level. Mbappe had 45 g+a in 42 games in Ligue 1 & CL while Messi had 39 g+a in 40 games..

Messi 2022/23
68 g&a
WC MVP
WC g&a leader
FIFA Best
IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker
Laureus Sportsman of the year

Ligue 1 assist leader
Most MOTM in Europe (14 vs Mbappe with 7)
Highest per game rating in Europe
Europe 2nd most assists total in the league + CL (right after KDB)
Europe 2nd most big chance creation (right after Bruno)
Europe 2nd most successful dribbles (right after Vinicius)
39 G+A in 40 games in Ligue 1 + CL (vs Mbappe with 45 G+A in 42 games).
Nah, it's not WAY MORE...the whole Erling dropping his OWN level in the very last part of the season it's not enough reason to erase his whole season.
What he did to make City arrive at that point of that season in such a great fashion with chances in everything it's an extraordionary merit.
It's true that due to his characteristics as a player he ain't that attractive as an option as more skillfull/complete players, that he didn't help his cause due to that dip in form, I know, more when we all as humans tend to have a stronger appeal or judge everything based with what is closer in time, the last taste of his season wasn't as sweet as it was as a whole.
Yet this type of view about his last matches of the season it's over the top, Messi doesn't deserve it WAY MORE in a strict season sense, that it's in the same neighbourhood of all the good things Messi or Mbappe do are just in a "farmer league" and that they have to yes or yes win the CL (the CL thing was also sthg that was silly also at some point with the B'D'Or too) neither point is fair, neither point doesn't have it part of truth in it, but not to such extense.

Like I've said before, Messi neither is an atrocious decision if he wins it, but it has a lot of Weight put on the WC and his name on it (carreer wise too).
Both can win it, one more related to pure extraordinary stats and achieves, the other one more related to the WC, his carreer and actually a seson to bout too (that in may other ocasiosn in the past wasn't even need it)

In any case the BD'Or is a mess in terms of what it's really based on, time and again, since almost always and it got even more relevance in recente years due to the Press surrounding the two fellas. It's a very mixed bag of popularity conteste, mere subjective taste of the ones that vote, mkt and press games to position "their boy", real talent and stats and titels of coruse too. In any case any sort of discussion feeds the "yellow press", any controversy, real or invented, sells.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
It would be the right decision. If France had won the final I’d understand Mbappe getting it but the rest - KDB, Haaland whoever - aren’t really at that level.
They do not need to be in that level of a player, as subective as that notion is...any player just needs to have a great to extraordinary season to have chances to win the thing.

I get your point, but the prize never worked as clear as that, people complains many times at certain years when Messi won it, with the type of Messi was as a player and what he produced season after season and if we put a TV showing games at the same of every candidate time year after year, he more than probably could have won more but it doesn't even work entirely like that, with even such an off the charts player, it has a LOT of weight of course. The season and being an elite player (not necessary being a pehnom or genius) always had a lot of weight too and depending on what year they switched to be more focused in mere stats, CL's, WCs, it's a very annoying prize in such sense.

SIDE NOTE:
Killian's season in pure terms of watching him (in a more focused way) playing day after day in the League/CL and even his WC, wasn't in his best self.
He had the numbers, mostly ICONIC MOMENTS, absolutely...yet his perfomances as a whole, even during matches, was a bit grey for such a young player in the peak of his form. Mainly regarding his attitude, that affects his overall play during a match. His huge talent, timing and tad of luck has helped him in certain key mometns specially in the WC (other seasons he was quite a lot better and luck didn't helped him). Some things we do not have to expect or ask him (like asking Erling to dribble two players constantly) because are related to his attributes, as phenomenal as he is, he ain't a Johan, Zico, Maradona, Pele or Messi etc...type of player, he is more of a R9, Romario type of phenom, yet he I think that he wasn't precisly focused on progressing as a player last season, too much monkey bizzness and bizarre atmosphere in PSG.
He is spoiled? maybe, hard to not be with such talent and conditions put on the table for him and when he shows his best commintment and best football he is a lot better version of himself.
In a sense his season on contrair to Erling's feeds (in an strict football sense) a bit too much of the final of a WC (even more in the latest minutes of that match) that was really close to end in a pretty horrible and more than probably stupdily denigrated way, as Erling's season is over the top bashed due to lacking a better last taste in the mouth. In fact Messi's season outside the WC, was great, was a very complete one on every sense, but was not "A Messi season" per se, not even some of Messi's extraordinary ones were he lost the Prize, yet enough to put more weight behind his extraordinary WC...kind of a Messy affair this last Ballon on every sense

Last edited:

Gehrman

Brilliant interview between 2 of the best players of my lifetime:

Messi can't even remember his own age when Zidane asked how old Messi was in 2008. Messi was 20 as was I because the age difference between me and him is just a few weeks apart.

Gehrman

Anyone know if this is a reliable source?

heraklion

Anyone know if this is a reliable source?
Yes, it is.

Messi said Lewa deserved the previous year's Ballon D'or like everybody else. Then some media outlets reported below as Lewa's response to Polish media.

"I would like it [Messi's 2020 Ballon d'Or statement] to be a sincere and courteous statement from a great player and not just empty words."
www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2021/12/06/61ae90de268e3edb728b4590.html

But then, Lewa said his statement was completely twisted

"My statement, which I made in an interview with a Polish TV broadcaster, is currently being misinterpreted," Lewandowski told Kicker. "I never wanted to say that Lionel Messi's words were not serious or sincere.

"On the contrary. I was very touched and delighted by Lionel Messi's speech at the event in Paris, in which he expressed that, in his opinion, I deserved the Ballon d'Or 2020. I just wanted to express that I would of course be very happy if Messi's words were heard.

"I respect and appreciate Lionel Messi beyond measure and once again congratulate him on winning the Ballon d'Or 2021."

www.fotmob.com/nl/news/1p16f899sf3t91ar5eefubh9e5/Lewandowski-clarifies-Ballon-d'Or-comments:-I-never-wanted-to-say-Messi's-words-were-not-sincere

www.barcablaugranes.com/2022/11/19/23467803/robert-lewandowski-corrects-reporter-who-says-he-criticized-lionel-messi

Gehrman

Yes, it is.

Messi said Lewa deserved the previous year's Ballon D'or like everybody else. Then some media outlets reported below as Lewa's response to Polish media.

"I would like it [Messi's 2020 Ballon d'Or statement] to be a sincere and courteous statement from a great player and not just empty words."
www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2021/12/06/61ae90de268e3edb728b4590.html

But then, Lewa said his statement was completely twisted

"My statement, which I made in an interview with a Polish TV broadcaster, is currently being misinterpreted," Lewandowski told Kicker. "I never wanted to say that Lionel Messi's words were not serious or sincere.

"On the contrary. I was very touched and delighted by Lionel Messi's speech at the event in Paris, in which he expressed that, in his opinion, I deserved the Ballon d'Or 2020. I just wanted to express that I would of course be very happy if Messi's words were heard.

"I respect and appreciate Lionel Messi beyond measure and once again congratulate him on winning the Ballon d'Or 2021."

www.fotmob.com/nl/news/1p16f899sf3t91ar5eefubh9e5/Lewandowski-clarifies-Ballon-d'Or-comments:-I-never-wanted-to-say-Messi's-words-were-not-sincere

www.barcablaugranes.com/2022/11/19/23467803/robert-lewandowski-corrects-reporter-who-says-he-criticized-lionel-messi
Well its cool that he dribbles a player at 35 in world cup because of a grudge.

heraklion

Well its cool that he dribbles a player at 35 in world cup because of a grudge.
prefer that kind of response to saying something stupid about Lewa & his personality as pathetic as that response sounds :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Have a request: Can anyone link me to Messi in training on 1 vs 1/2/3 drills? Training where they're going all out and being competitive. More particularly at his best in Barca or NT.

Gehrman

Have a request: Can anyone link me to Messi in training on 1 vs 1/2/3 drills? Training where they're going all out and being competitive. More particularly at his best in Barca or NT.
I think if those videos were public we'd have seen them by now.

Gehrman

Can't say I've sought them out before now. Is there no training footage whatsoever (to your knowledge)?
I mean there is probably some, but none of the stuff Henry speaks off is out on video publicy as far as i know. It might get released. It would be interesting to see what he pulled off in training with no real stakes to lose.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Cool vid, from the type I wish were more out there (and longer + better quality), but at least it's out there:

Reactions: Fortitude