Messi lifting the World Cup in that robe

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I haven't watched the ceremony, how did Messi look? Was he comfortable wearing that robe or did he look irritated/bemused?

Think we as fans are a bit entitled when we demand a certain look for the iconic picture, but he definitely should have a say

Ladron de redcafe

I don’t actually remember anyone from Qatar saying this

But rather, please respect our culture

I’m not trying to justify anything here, I just don’t think they were spending the whole tournament saying that
Let them cry. It's all so delicious:drool:

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
As if Infantino did not look Voldermort enough they had to give Messi the Harry Potter robe.

dinostar77

I wish he had taken the robe off. Anyway digital manipulation is so advanced now, sure they can edit it out.

mancan92

The iconic moment is the game itself. Who cares about one picture on Instagram.
Its not one picture on Instagram. It was a political move and clearly done for a reason. One of the most iconic pictures that is going to be used to represent football for the next 100 years fully given the sports washing treatment

vangagal

No. I’m anti corrupt human rights abusers and homophobic regimes who cowardly censor rainbows and then try and force their culture down the worlds throat.

I don’t equate Qatar’s repulsive regime with all Islam - should I?

Is it a matter of Islam vs everything else for you? Or do you think beyond such narrow perimeters?
No. Why should i? I am just asking question.
Just from your second line post that i quoted before confused me. If you are that much for such regime why would you cut your islamophobic friend?

That robe or bisht usually wore for high ranking person in their culture. Its cringe but i guess thats their way to celebrate Messi.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I haven't watched the ceremony, how did Messi look? Was he comfortable wearing that robe or did he look irritated/bemused?

Think we as fans are a bit entitled when we demand a certain look for the iconic picture, but he definitely should have a say
He enjoyed putting it on, let's remember his employers are run by Qatari's so I think in that moment he realised it wouldn't be a good look to usher them away.

As we've seen in last four weeks optics on the World stage matter so much to Qatar so that was very clever stage management from them and a middle finger to all their critics.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

He looked happy, the outrage by proxy is crazy to me :lol:

Ludens the Red

It’s the pat on the head that gets me :lol:
Infantino . What a complete bastard. Desperate to get in on the limelight. Dragging out the passing over of the trophy, pointing Messi where to go as if he doesn’t know what to do just to get his extra moment in the limelight. What an absolute fecking cnut. I hope his mum lives in regret everyday that she inflicted this bastard on the world.

Oh and Messi looked shit with that robe on, but seeing the tone from messages in this thread as a disclaimer I just want to point out that I don’t care and I’m not upset about it. But it looked shit.

Im just glad I don’t have to hear ever again from another person on this planet how “I hope Argentina win it for Messi”.

Last edited:

Sviken

I don't think Messi gives a shit about the politics crap. He was desperate for the WC and now he's won it. There's nothing really left for him to achieve.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bisht: It is a traditional men's cloak. They are usually worn on special occasions, like weddings and religious festivals. There is a further meaning to the bisht. They are usually worn by secular officials or clergy.

A bisht is usually worn for prestige on special occasions such as weddings, or festivals such as Eid, or for Ṣalāt al-Jumuʿah or Salat al-Janazah. It is usually worn by secular officials or clergy, including tribal chiefs, kings, and imams, over a thawb, kanzu or tunic.

I think they meant for it to be a big honour, because you see the Sheikhs/Emirs wear it on royal visits and special occasions. So I think it's them trying to crown the winning captain that way.

Nobody will remember it though, I don't personally care its the first Arab world cup and Messi ends his international career with a WC and a Copa America.

I do think they should have given Messi the option though

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Bisht: It is a traditional men's cloak. They are usually worn on special occasions, like weddings and religious festivals. There is a further meaning to the bisht. They are usually worn by secular officials or clergy.

A bisht is usually worn for prestige on special occasions such as weddings, or festivals such as Eid, or for Ṣalāt al-Jumuʿah or Salat al-Janazah. It is usually worn by secular officials or clergy, including tribal chiefs, kings, and imams, over a thawb, kanzu or tunic.

I think they meant for it to be a big honour, because you see the Sheikhs/Emirs wear it on royal visits and special occasions. So I think it's them trying to crown the winning captain that way.

Nobody will remember it though, I don't personally care its the first Arab world cup and Messi ends his international career with a WC and a Copa America.

I do think they should have given Messi the option though
It's that simple. Regarding the option, do we know if he had no say or not ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Its not one picture on Instagram. It was a political move and clearly done for a reason. One of the most iconic pictures that is going to be used to represent football for the next 100 years fully given the sports washing treatment
No offence but that debate ended when it was hosted in the country. Crying about a robe in a picture is trivial.

Can see how fuming Messi was over it.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What could they do if he said no ? Nothing IMHO. He's Messi, no one can force him I think
Generally agree with you and think this is blown way out of proportion because we didn't get the photo we feel we deserved.

But it's also a PR exercise for everyone involved, don't think Messi had the chance to really reject it without looking bad

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lautoro Martinez bisht every one of his shots in the tournament.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No offence but that debate ended when it was hosted in the country. Crying about a robe in a picture is trivial.

Can see how fuming Messi was over it.

Yeah, Messi looking happy shortly after winning the World Cup has me convinced he didn’t mind wearing the robe at all.

He’d probably have that same expression if someone was rubbing dog shit on his back.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah, Messi looking happy shortly after winning the World Cup has me convinced he didn’t mind wearing the robe at all.

He’d probably have that same expression if someone was rubbing dog shit on his back.
Must admit it was great seeing Messi lift the WC. He's given so much to the game and totally deserves the trophy...and the robe of kings.

mu4c_20le

:lol: plus it would've been awkward to reject it in that situation. And he took it off immediately after the photo op.