Messi lifting the World Cup in that robe

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Think it was a very kind gesture from the emir and emirate but I don't think the trophy stage was the right arena for it. Could have been given to him when he received the trophy for the Golden Ball.

I get irritated when I see non-sportsmen inserting themselves in the money shots. The players earned the trophy, give them the medals and feck off.

No big deal overall, for me the iconic shot will be Messi on the shoulders of his team with the trophy, channeling Maradona in '86. Not him crip walking with the bisht on.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Medals round the neck is getting boring anyway. From now on, every host nation should give the winners a garment that displays their culture. In 2026, the winning captain will lift the cup wearing a white hood, Poncho and Mountie's breeches.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You got / had one racy Nan!
That old bird must have seen her fair share of Sunday roasts!

You are spot on here ( in this thread not about the posters Nan) again , thanks for fighting the good fight!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
To me it was unnecessary. Just give him the trophy and let him celebrate. It’s especially ironic as the Qataris had no problem detaining Grant Wahl for wearing a rainbow t-shirt.

wazz786

This. Disgusting regime who’ve shown themselves up repeatedly over the entire tournament.

Hopefully conversation continues now on the glaring issues shown during this WC.
We sit here judging the regime and Qatar yet they are hosted probably the greatest World Cup ever with no crowd trouble fuelled by booze etc.
They have taken the World Cup away from the boozy hooligans and given it back to families to enjoy.

All the so called controversies about Qatar was nothing but a hate and poor propaganda, would like to see the same scrutiny of USA when they host the next World Cup, especially their human rights record, the islamophobic travel laws, they racist record against black people and Mexican people, the homophobic and abortion laws etc etc - we will conveniently kiss ass and stay quiet yet unnecessarily criticise Qatar.
Come on!

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
To be fair , who doesn't remember Maradona lifting the cup in 86 in a poncho and sombrero? Iconic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We sit here judging the regime and Qatar yet they are hosted probably the greatest World Cup ever with no crowd trouble fuelled by booze etc.
They have taken the World Cup away from the boozy hooligans and given it back to families to enjoy.

All the so called controversies about Qatar was nothing but a hate and poor propaganda, would like to see the same scrutiny of USA when they host the next World Cup, especially their human rights record, the islamophobic travel laws, they racist record against black people and Mexican people, the homophobic and abortion laws etc etc - we will conveniently kiss ass and stay quiet yet unnecessarily criticise Qatar.
Come on!
If you've disowned all LGBT people from your family, sure.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
They probably think a see through robe is fancy or summat

Pashun for fashun

Abraxas

I don't see how it ruined anything, personally. I thought it was a bit daft as it doesn't look very good but beyond that, it's hard to get too invested in the merits of Messi wearing a robe. Surely the point is he won the World Cup.

The FIFA bloke clinging on was by far the most cringeworthy moment of the whole thing. There's a man that loves eyes on him.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
would like to see the same scrutiny of USA when they host the next World Cup, especially their human rights record, the islamophobic travel laws, they racist record against black people and Mexican people, the homophobic and abortion laws etc
If you are actually trying to say that you haven't seen scrutiny over these topics online (or on Redcafe specifically) you either live in a cave or are wilfully ignorant.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Its see through for one, the normal one isn't you can see the shirt under it

But its actually a great photo the gold and black and white.

Its like having the WC in England and having the Queen or King knight you before lifting the trophy.

He gets to keep it from the final too, with his medal and golden ball, and motm.

Its actually pretty cool looking at it

kthanksbye

I live in the middle east so I understand the gesture, they're trying to honour him, it's a sign of respect, but having said that, it does annoy me a little that the photo of him lifting the worldcup is wearing that. That moment should be about Argentina and Messi, not the hosts. Not a big deal though.

Vapor trail

Brilliant tournament, odd gesture at the end but if it is part of the culture it's understandable to a degree.

ROFLUTION

Its see through for one, the normal one isn't you can see the shirt under it

But its actually a great photo the gold and black and white.

Its like having the WC in England and having the Queen or King knight you before lifting the trophy.

He gets to keep it from the final too, with his medal and golden ball, and motm.

Its actually pretty cool looking at it
if you see the Emir and Qatar as some sort of guy/country worthy looking up to, then yes.

My bet is you probably just think the picture is aesthatically pleasing.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
You guys looking for any reason to hate on the hosts. Give it a rest.
Its the usual suspects, just let them live in their little negative world and ignore them honestly. Just sad people that want to have a reason to be angry about something to seem self righteous as if they are the protector of humanity.

Oh gays and lesbians are gonna get beheaded for being homosexual.
Oh we can't drink beer
Oh what happens if two homosexuals are fecking in a hotel room, will the gestapo come arrest them and cut their genitals off?

Did anyone get beheaded? Did anyone not actually drink beer? All my friends who went there have said there are specific areas for drinks. Most who went there said this was the safest and most family friendly world cup they've ever been to.
I mean for God's sake someone actually wore the LGBTQ shirt, and ran on the field in front of millions. Where is he now? Released with, surprise surprise, his head still in tact.

Being a muslim country, the hosts cannot openly say "Yeah let the LGBTQ community run wild, Yeah lets allow alcohol, Yeah lets allow people to feck (I'm sure there's a legal term for this doing indecent stuff in public) on the streets with no repercussions". It goes against all their religious views (which I am not even a part of but can understand) and would cause outrage from top religious figures. They just said "be respectful", meaning don't overdo anything in public and do whatever you want in private.

I don't give a shit about Qatar honestly, I'll probably never have a reason to visit there in my lifetime, but this "hate" is too much. Let it go and do something productive with your lives.

Laurencio

Yup. Now we can go back to the totally free and fair, completely un-corrupt show that is domestic club football.
While waiting patiently for our club to be bought by the Qataris to uncorrupt the sport even more. Ah.. good times

Andy_Cole

It’s the usual suspects, just let them live in their little negative world and ignore them honestly. Just sad people that want to have a reason to be angry about something to seem self righteous as if they are the protector of humanity.

Oh gays and lesbians are gonna get beheaded for being homosexual.
Oh we can't drink beer
Oh what happens if two homosexuals are fecking in a hotel room, will the gestapo come arrest them and cut their genitals off?

Did anyone get beheaded? Did anyone not actually drink beer? All my friends who went there have said there are specific areas for drinks. Most who went there said this was the safest and most family friendly world cup they've ever been to.
I mean for God's sake someone actually wore the LGBTQ shirt, and ran on the field in front of millions. Where is he now? Released with, surprise surprise, his head still in tact.

Being a muslim country, the hosts cannot openly say "Yeah let the LGBTQ community run wild, Yeah lets allow alcohol, Yeah lets allow people to feck (I'm sure there's a legal term for this doing indecent stuff in public) on the streets with no repercussions". It goes against all their religious views (which I am not even a part of but can understand) and would cause outrage from top religious figures. They just said "be respectful", meaning don't overdo anything in public and do whatever you want in private.

I don't give a shit about Qatar honestly, I'll probably never have a reason to visit there in my lifetime, but this "hate" is too much. Let it go and do something productive with your lives.
I went to the World Cup. Echoed the same thing when I returned. I actually wrote on this forum the same thing. I got responses from people who sent random articles about people being arrested being gay.

People and their agenda right. These same people are probably banging on about another agenda in the covid thread.

Strelok

Would have been much better if they simply gave him a keffiyeh. The robe looks so cringe and makes his national shirt barely visible.