• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He destroyed multiple times United, City and Arsenal, but could he perform against Burnley and Soton?
They do have Wesley Hoedt. Wesley Hoedt is no joke. Though his last name is the Dutch word for hat, but misspelled.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Not in the same circumstances as Ronaldo. Can you post the Roma highlights here please?
I can post you Benzema's highlights vs Bayern, or Bale's vs Liverpool, because I surely wouldn't find any with Ronaldo on it.

The Gestapo of football, "you know, this big game doesn't count, because it wasn't that big and they lost the next round, only rounds in winning runs count, even if you were a donkey in the last 3 games".

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is the answer to this thread.

Messi is more talented, but Ronaldo surpassed him with his endless desire and hunger.
Yes, in the end the way you perform in the most difficult situations is what defines you as a professional. Messi has lost his physical edge with age and so drops deeper, which means in the big games he is more of a creative force. Ronaldo did the opposite and went closer to goal, which was a genius move.

If we were talking about technical level, Ronaldo would not even make my top 10 list. But there is so much more in my opinion to being a player which propels Ronaldo to one of the GOATs.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Getting harder and harder to be a Ronaldo hater each year, but I will not falter.

Revan

Assumptionman
Its not about that its about how he would perform in a new team coach tactics players surroundings. Instead of being in the safety net of the camp nou.
That's absolutely a fair point. In the end of their careers, he will have medals only with Barca, while Ronaldo will have medals with Madrid, United, Juve and Portugal. Ronaldo shows greatness everywhere, Messi is bounded to Barca. He is still better though, but I think that because of diversity and big moments, CR has better achievements.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Its not about that its about how he would perform in a new team coach tactics players surroundings. Instead of being in the safety net of the camp nou.
Yup. Old trafford, Santiago Bernabeu and Juventus stadium are the places you have to go if you want risks in your career.

Red Stone

The Gestapo of football, "you know, this big game doesn't count, because it wasn't that big and they lost the next round, only rounds in winning runs count, even if you were a donkey in the last 3 games".
It's very easy to compare their records in big games. Ronaldo's goal tally in the knockout stages dwarfs Messi's. I know goals aren't everything, but the difference is so vast that it can't be ignored. Ronaldo regularly comes up with decisive performances in these types of games, and it's no coincidence that he's won four CLs in recent years, and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat to stay in with a chance of yet another one. I'd say he's the best big game player of all time. Even the best have stinkers from time to time.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Yup. Old trafford, Santiago Bernabeu and Juventus stadium are the places you have to go if you want risks in your career.
3 different leagues dominated and a major trophy with Portugal. Messi is playing catchup.
The problem is Messi fans cant accept the fact he eclipsed him.
As I said before the new pole 51%-49%

SportingCP96

Supports
It's very easy to compare their records in big games. Ronaldo's goal tally in the knockout stages dwarfs Messi's. I know goals aren't everything, but the difference is so vast that it can't be ignored. Ronaldo regularly comes up with decisive performances in these types of games, and it's no coincidence that he's won four CLs in recent years, and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat to stay in with a chance of yet another one. I'd say he's the best big game player of all time. Even the best have stinkers from time to time.
Thank you.

Luke1995

Of the 9th La Ligas Messi and Ronaldo played together from 09-10 to 17-18 Messi won 6. Does it matter ? Or will the Champions League always be held in higher standard by the fans ?

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi is the best in the world because Ronaldo is not from this planet.

SportingCP96

Supports
Of the 9th La Ligas Messi and Ronaldo played together from 09-10 to 17-18 Messi won 6. Does it matter ? Or will the Champions League always be held in higher standard by the fans ?
Cl is bigger and Messi had a better team for a larger period of time.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
We have clear evidence that Messi is a failure outside of Barcelona. He won nothing with Argentina. Lost 3 Copa America finals and lost a World Cup final.

Messi: Won trophies with Barcelona.

Ronaldo: Won a trophy with Sporting Lisbon
Won trophies with Man United
Won trophies with Real Madrid
Won a trophy with Portugal
Already won a trophy with Juventus and will win more.

Revan

Assumptionman
World Cup is significantly higher than UCL, UCL is significantly higher than the league.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Honestly I have no problem if one has a preference for either. My problem has always been a set of Messi fans (plenty in this thread) who don’t consider Ronaldo as his peer. And then create loads of new threads saying how player X from 20 years ago is better than Ronaldo while Messi is undisputed best because of certain intangible things Ronaldo doesn’t possess.

Its tedious and the evergoing cycle of this ultra-lengthy thread.
Football is about intangible things though. The issue is, Ronaldo won't convince me he's better by doing the things he always did or in other words: scoring. Fair enough, an important part of the game, but there's so much more to it and Messi dwarfs him in everything that is not related to putting the ball into the back of the net. People nowadays are only willing to give credit to a player at this level if he wins the CL. You'll see it at Ronaldo. If Juve won't win it, nobody will give two shits about his performance today and it was the same with various brillant performances Messi had since his last CL win. From a logical point of view this whole argumentation makes no sense at all.

If we just look at the facts, Ronaldo today scored two headers and converted a penalty. Are these the things that determine a great or possibly even best player ever? Did you admire Zidane for his goals? Or Ronaldinho? Laudrup? Maradona?

What impresses me about Cristiano is his incredible consistency and mental strength but rarely his actual plays. If that's what makes up a the quality of a player for you, then fair enough. To me it doesn't. So I'll acknowledge what he accomplishes and enjoy the being alive while he writes his story but I'm sorry, until he starts playing better than Messi he won't convince me he's better.
Ironically, I think the version of Cristiano that won the least international titles was the best. A real force of nature and able to create his goals singlehandedly as well as setting up others. The one that won 3 or even 4 of his 5 CLs and holds the record for the most goals in a CL campaign, not so much.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Champions league always trumps the league. I think it's rather fitting that one is a RM legend while the other is a Barca legend. They fit each other like a glove and so do their fanboys.

SportingCP96

Supports
If it makes Messi fans feel better I dont think Ronaldo and Juve will win the CL this year. The team is not good enough I dont think.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Well that's what I don't buy, every player is at the expense of his teammates, Ronaldo wasn't known as Mr Clutch for years while Messi was winning titles, it doesn't mean his performances were worse than what he's offering in the last seasons, he was unlucky, or his teammates were worse than his rivals.

What I fight is this wave of "he just does it and the other doesn't", bot of them have done it at different parts of their careers, Messi could get away with bad games 8 years ago by standing around the area and scoring 2 chips + a penalty earned by Villa or Iniesta, now he doesn't have that luxury, and because he isn't scoring like the other guy, who has put 101% of his effort into playing as the total striker in 7 games a year, he's not a clutch player?. I just feel pity for everyone that misses Messi being clutch twice a week in 3 tournaments.

This is so volatile, if Messi conquers another treble this year and nicks 3 trebles with 3 different squads, where would we put that achievement? Would he be the ultimate competitor because he never discards a trophy and jumps at the pitch ready to win be it at semis in Old Trafford or against Espanyol in a Copa QF?. If he does nil the rest of the league, in the cup final and the UCL QF, SF and Final but still conquers it?.

The whole debate is just fanbase onanism at this point.

SportingCP96

Supports
Cristiano Ronaldo, via @bet365 Most UCL goals Most UCL home goals Most UCL away goals Most UCL group stage goals Most UCL knock out goals Most UCL final goals Most UCL free-kicks Most UCL penalties Most UCL headers Most UCL braces Most UCL hat-tricks Most UCL assists

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
True, even the best have bad performances occasionally. Thing is, Cristiano got away with it and Messi didn't - and that's although Ronaldo's bottom level is far lower than Messi's who always impacts the game in one way or another, even if he doesn't score. Ronaldo had the luxury of being allowed to disappear completely since his team mates bailed him out.

That's the problem with all this judgement of players based on team performances. I mean, if Ronaldo was that kind of player that always backpacked his teams, why wasn't he able to do that between 2009 and 2014 when he was in his prime? IMO, this is bullshit. It's like saying Bale is a better player than Neymar because he's won more CLs and had better knockout games.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Messi does need a few good performances in the knockout rounds to rewrite the headlines it must be said.

Feels like a long time since he stole the show like Ronaldo does in CL knockouts.

Whether that's just because he's consistent performance wise I dunno but he doesn't get the goals so doesn't get the headlines.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cristiano Ronaldo, via @bet365 Most UCL goals Most UCL home goals Most UCL away goals Most UCL group stage goals Most UCL knock out goals Most UCL final goals Most UCL free-kicks Most UCL penalties Most UCL headers Most UCL braces Most UCL hat-tricks Most UCL assists
He's decent.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
3 different leagues dominated and a major trophy with Portugal. Messi is playing catchup.
The problem is Messi fans cant accept the fact he eclipsed him.
As I said before the new pole 51%-49%
Catch what?. You know this answer letter by letter, like you must know the lyrics to Despacito

A final he didn't play vs 3 international finals lost.
3 leagues with the 3 biggest teams of each country.

Not bigger claims for glory if you compare it to being a one club man that debuted for a team with a 1 UCL title and will have, at least, 5 at his retirement, nevermind the other silverware.

@Ishdalar is hurting tonight so give him a few to recompose.
I'm not hurting, but I think that if you support someone, it's only fair to defend him when few others will come to do that. You can see that the same guy cherishing this moment was the one that didn't believe what we've seen today could be done, even I had more faith than him.

God knows I could stay silent and wait for tomorrow if Leo does good, or end of season if things go our way, but that would be cheap. Some things are straight up hooliganism, like saying he wouldn't do it mid-winter in England, because being kicked around by Paraguayans or scoring a hat trick at 9000ft of elevation to qualify your team for the WC is easier than the Britannia Stadium :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Catch what?. You know this answer letter by letter, like you must know the lyrics to Despacito

A final he didn't play vs 3 international finals lost.
3 leagues with the 3 biggest teams of each country.

Not bigger claims for glory if you compare it to being a one club man that debuted for a team with a 1 UCL title and will have, at least, 5 at his retirement, nevermind the other silverware.

I'm not hurting, but I think that if you support someone, it's only fair to defend him when few others will come to do that. You can see that the same guy cherishing this moment was the one that didn't believe what we've seen today could be done, even I had more faith than him.

God knows I could stay silent and wait for tomorrow if Leo does good, or end of season if things go our way, but that would be cheap. Some things are straight up hooliganism, like saying he wouldn't do it mid-winter in England, because being kicked around by Paraguayans or scoring a hat trick at 9000ft of elevation to qualify your team for the WC is easier than the Britannia Stadium :lol:
I can only imagine if Messi wins the CL this year. He needs it because he is letting this become Ronaldos generation without a fight soon.

So now its his fault they injured the best player in the sport on purpose? Also he did more on the sideline then Messi did in all 3 finals.

clarkydaz

take a break from the thread mate, its consuming you

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I can only imagine if Messi wins the CL this year. He needs it because he is letting this become Ronaldos generation without a fight soon.
I don't think he cares about that stuff, to be honest.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
True, even the best have bad performances occasionally. Thing is, Cristiano got away with it and Messi didn't - and that's although Ronaldo's bottom level is far lower than Messi's who always impacts the game in one way or another, even if he doesn't score. Ronaldo had the luxury of being allowed to disappear completely since his team mates bailed him out.

That's the problem with all this judgement of players based on team performances. I mean, if Ronaldo was that kind of player that always backpacked his teams, why wasn't he able to do that between 2009 and 2014 when he was in his prime? IMO, this is bullshit. It's like saying Bale is a better player than Neymar because he's won more CLs and had better knockout games.
Sneaky. Also I'd say that Messi has comfortably had better teammates throughout their respective careers. I'd also say that Messi's teammates have played a bigger factor in his success than Ronaldo's. I believe there is a reason to this, Messi is more involved in the build-up and so is more reliant on other players in big moments. You can see that the 'prime Messi' did not have this aspect to his play, he would just dribble past 3-4 players and score, but now he feeds other players because he has declined physically.

I would say that despite Messi being far more talented, the way he developed his game meant that he suffered more with age than Ronaldo. In my opinion Messi has a far better prime, but Ronaldo has a far better general career.

Status
Not open for further replies.