Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sorry but I knew Zehner would be in here soon giving us all sorts of mental gymnastic techniques on how trophies mean nothing and Messi just better because it just is that way.

shamans

Football is about intangible things though. The issue is, Ronaldo won't convince me he's better by doing the things he always did or in other words: scoring. Fair enough, an important part of the game, but there's so much more to it and Messi dwarfs him in everything that is not related to putting the ball into the back of the net. People nowadays are only willing to give credit to a player at this level if he wins the CL. You'll see it at Ronaldo. If Juve won't win it, nobody will give two shits about his performance today and it was the same with various brillant performances Messi had since his last CL win. From a logical point of view this whole argumentation makes no sense at all.

If we just look at the facts, Ronaldo today scored two headers and converted a penalty. Are these the things that determine a great or possibly even best player ever? Did you admire Zidane for his goals? Or Ronaldinho? Laudrup? Maradona?

What impresses me about Cristiano is his incredible consistency and mental strength but rarely his actual plays. If that's what makes up a the quality of a player for you, then fair enough. To me it doesn't. So I'll acknowledge what he accomplishes and enjoy the being alive while he writes his story but I'm sorry, until he starts playing better than Messi he won't convince me he's better.
Ironically, I think the version of Cristiano that won the least international titles was the best. A real force of nature and able to create his goals singlehandedly as well as setting up others. The one that won 3 or even 4 of his 5 CLs and holds the record for the most goals in a CL campaign, not so much.
No its not about intagible things. Its about goals and trophies.

Of course there's freestyling with a football. You can go enjoy that.

Reminds me of guitar players who only care about shredding and guitar speed. The best songs are the simplest.

Also you're completely deluded by saying "two headers and a penalty dont make someone a great player". I suppose zidanes volley doesnt make him great either then. He pulled his team back from a 2-0 deficief for a 3-0 win to beat Athletico in the knockout stage.

Pretty sure Messi would have been crying after the first leg, resigning, and then coming back a season later :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sneaky. Also I'd say that Messi has comfortably had better teammates throughout their respective careers. I'd also say that Messi's teammates have played a bigger factor in his success than Ronaldo's. I believe there is a reason to this, Messi is more involved in the build-up and so is more reliant on other players in big moments. You can see that the 'prime Messi' did not have this aspect to his play, he would just dribble past 3-4 players and score, but now he feeds other players because he has declined physically.

I would say that despite Messi being far more talented, the way he developed his game meant that he suffered more with age than Ronaldo. In my opinion Messi has a far better prime, but Ronaldo has a far better general career.
I actually think it is the other way round. Ronaldo depends more on them because he is less involved. If his team mates are unable to build up on their own, the later Ronaldo will be a passenger waiting for a ball up front. Messi on the other hand will drop deep and pick up the ball in order to get things going himself. When people say Ronaldo carried a team, they usually mean that he scored many goals for them. When people speak of Messi carrying a team, they mean that this is really a one man show, not only the goals. It's worth noting that Messi scores and assists at a similar rate as in his record season by the way. I also think luck plays a big part. AS good as Real was, they still had much luck in their winning campaigns. Luck Barca was often missing. I don't think it is a coincidence that Barca still got the better of Real Madrid more often than not when they faced each other. Overall they were a superior team but cup competitions simply have their own laws.

I also wonder how you can speak of "far better general career". Although I think that Messi is comfortably the better player, I understand if people think Ronaldo has had a greater career at this point - but by far? The difference in titles and goals scored isn't that big. We are talking about 4(3) vs 5 CL titles and 1 EC while Messi has won what, twice as much leagues? Ronaldo has a better knockout goal record but Messi still has a comparable overall goal record in the CL and a better one in general.

Eddy_JukeZ

Sorry but I knew Zehner would be in here soon giving us all sorts of mental gymnastic techniques on how trophies mean nothing and Messi just better because it just is that way.
Messi's won more trophies though.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No its not about intagible things. Its about goals and trophies.

Of course there's freestyling with a football. You can go enjoy that.

Reminds me of guitar players who only care about shredding and guitar speed. The best songs are the simplest.
Yeah, and you win trophies by doing intangible things. I know you like keeping football simple and I like seeing it complicated but personally I prefer being in the Pep Guardiola camp than in the one of Sam Allardyce.

Aloysius's Back 3

People saying that messi's performances has been dying down for the last 4 years.

Has anyone been retiring from Barcelona during this period? :wenger:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Funny stuff.
Yep, it's quite funny how he keeps bottling it. Sanchez delivered two Copa's for Chile, both against Messi's Argentina.

But what's even funnier is how many opportunities Messi is being given. Copa America is meant to be held every FOUR years (Just like Euro's). And yet Messi seems to be getting a tournament almost every TWO years. It's just corrupt. 2015 Copa, 2016 Copa, 2019 Copa, 2020 Copa

How can you have FOUR Copa's in 6 years?

They will keep doing it until he wins I reckon. Typical corruption.

Red Stone

If he wins the CL with Juve I reckon that puts him as the greatest ever.
This happens every year.
"If Real Madrid win La Decima Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."
Real Madrid win La Decima

"If Portugal win [insert international tournament here] Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."
Portugal win the Euros

"If Real Madrid become the first team to win back-to-back CLs Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."
Real Madrid win back-to-back CLs

"Never mind back-to-back. If Real win three CLs in a row Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."
Real Madrid win three CLs in a row

"Ronaldo has to win the CL with Juve to be the greatest ever."
Ronaldo: "Hold my non-alcoholic beer."

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
This happens every year.

"If Portugal win [insert international tournament here] Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."
Portugal win the Euros

"If Real Madrid become the first team to win back-to-back CLs Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."

"Never mind back-to-back. If Real win three CLs in a row Ronaldo will be the greatest ever."

Should have added ‘without any doubt at all’ to my post. 6 CLs with 3 different clubs would be mental.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
This season has to be the season:

a) CR (seems) still has it, the magic, the guts, the instinct. 2019 could be his sixth B. d'Or and 6th UCL (first with Juve), and last? of his career.

b) Messi (seems) in good form, not Top form, but good enough to win the Third Triplete of his career this 2019 (with a little help from his friends on the pitch). That would mean his 4th and half UCL ("half" is from 2006) but officially 5th UCL, and most likely his 6th B. d'Or.

This could be the season that establishes who was the better-most relevant player by a thin 2% margin (52% vs 48%).

MS4

How many individual records does messi hold?

maybe ronaldo had a better career but that does not make him better
Modric, kroos, benzema etc all have 3 CLs in a row..are they also contenders for best-player-ever?
Teams win trophys, not single players

Aloysius's Back 3

How many individual records does messi hold?

maybe ronaldo had a better career but that does not make him better
Modric, kroos, benzema etc all have 3 CLs in a row..are they also contenders for best-player-ever?
Teams win trophys, not single players
And ronaldo has done it at 3 teams so far potentially turning 4 end of season. /

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I came here only to say I predict Messi will have a great game and I know this is a Forum but this topics related with Messi or Ronaldo sometimes are becoming unbearable to read. And I am saying for both sides.

MrEleson

This happens every year.

Portugal win the Euros

True. I feel like it'll keep going on like this till the guy retires or plays at a lower level.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Dunno if we can ever settle whos the best ever

At least Ronaldo has to be the best player in the Champions League ever

Can Messi die hard fans agree with that at least?

shamans

Yeah, and you win trophies by doing intangible things. I know you like keeping football simple and I like seeing it complicated but personally I prefer being in the Pep Guardiola camp than in the one of Sam Allardyce.
Yeah but arent you also of the kroos better than BST camp?

Im sure is Messi is better at intagibles. Meanwhile Ronaldo is better at the point of playing football. Winning. Trophies. Domestic and International.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Looks like this year will be Messi vs Ronaldo year again. The era never ends.

RedCurry

I’ve always thought Messi is the better player but the way Ronaldo adapted his game throughout his career is absolutely brilliant which gives him the slight edge in my opinion. I still enjoy Messi at the top of his game more though.

I don’t know what will happen to football when these two decide to hang up their boots.

Hawks2008

Ronaldo is probably the most clutch player ever, I still believe Messi to be the best though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Problem with this debate is people make it too personal, with their own favourite instead of a) enjoying both players b) trying to keep a cool head when discussing both knowing full well that the narrative could change with each passing season as both their careers are still very much alive at the highest level.

I remember I was of the opinion Ronaldo was better (whilst he was with us) then Messi was better (during his pomp under Pep and since) and fair play to Ronaldo - he’s made what began to look like a one sided debate by this stage, a proper two horse race again that honesty he could go on and win if he keeps producing iconic performances like yesterday.

Best to keep an open mind, enjoy the competition between them and make the final call when their careers are over.

One thing that slightly irks me is this GOAT stuff - as if likes of Pele or Di Stefano for example don’t have equally comparable legacies and clutch performances in their heyday. There are other contenders out there outside of the Messi v Ronaldo battle.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Problem with this debate is people make it too personal, with their own favourite instead of a) enjoying both players b) trying to keep a cool head when discussing both knowing full well that the narrative could change with each passing season as both their careers are still very much alive at the highest level.

I remember I was of the opinion Ronaldo was better (whilst he was with us) then Messi was better (during his pomp under Pep and since) and fair play to Ronaldo - he’s made what look like a one sided debate by this stage, a proper two horse race again that honesty he could go on and win if he keeps producing iconic performances like yesterday.

Best to keep an open mind, enjoy the competition between them and make the final call when their careers are over.

One thing that slightly irks me is this GOAT stuff - as if likes of Pele or Di Stefano for example don’t have equally comparable legacies and clutch performances in their heyday. There are other contenders out there outside of the Messi v Ronaldo battle.
Some say it as a joke, some really believe it. I'm like you, it irks me the same. It's a bit disrespectful

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How these 2 players have motivation and will to win after so many years is beyond me. Any other player would have taken lightly after winning so many trophies and scoring so many goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.