• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lads, it fecking Bolivia. They're as shite as Uzbekistan

I thought we were discounting all goals against shit teams when comparing the GOATS? What happened there?
That is fair enough, especially as Bolivia are only 2 places ahead of Uzbekistan in the world ranking. However going off rankings is a bit silly, Germany are 13th currently, behind Mexico, Uruguay and Denmark.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'm with you on Messi having more great goals overall but Ronaldo's header against Roma was the most stupendous header I've ever seen. He literally wasn't in the tv shot when the ball was halfway into the box. I remember watching it live and I've never forgotten it.
And I’m not even gonna disagree with you necessarily, I mean Ronaldo is the greatest header of the ball in history. I just imagine a little guy like Messi doing it in a CL final over Rio and Vidic was just dumb founding and I feel like over the years you hear more about that goal than Ronaldo vs Roma but again because of what was at stake I suppose it makes sense.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

I thought we were discounting all goals against shit teams when comparing the GOATS? What happened there?
haven’t said one thing myself about that match because I agree. Felt the same way when Ronaldo scored against a dire Ireland

Pocho

Ronaldo is still playing in the best leagues while the younger messi has his first club move and its to psg where his team are pretty much guaranteed silverware.
Its only really barca and messi fanboys scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything to put ronaldo lower than messi when its clear now who has the better 'goat' mentality.
Test yourself in the ultimate league or go take points from championship level teams and chill out with neymar and that rat di maria. Cant believe I just read someone saying messi scores even better headers ffs :confused::lol:
So Cavani is better than Maradona and Messi because he went to a great club instead of Napoli or PSG.

jamesjimmybyrondean

And I’m not even gonna disagree with you necessarily, I mean Ronaldo is the greatest header of the ball in history. I just imagine a little guy like Messi doing it in a CL final over Rio and Vidic was just dumb founding and I feel like over the years you hear more about that goal than Ronaldo vs Roma but again because of what was at stake I suppose it makes sense.
Messi's header against United or Ronaldo's overhead kick against Juve. Which is the greater goal to you

mshnsh

Regardless, that first goal scored by Messi was better than Ronaldo has scored in a long long time

Cal?

CR7 fan
Doing it against two elite defenders when you’re 5’7 in high heels and in a CL final no less. Much more iconic.
In that case I present Ronaldo's header against Chelsea in the CL final, jumping higher, better direction on the ball. :smirk:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Doing it against two elite defenders when you’re 5’7 in high heels and in a CL final no less. Much more iconic.
Rio and Vidic were great but thought that was poor defending from them esp Rio who didn't keep tight to Messi if he did he would have cleared that cross no problem . Messi didn't have to beat anyone, it was a decent cross that found Messi perfectly, obviously you have to put it in the net, but expected for a player of that calibre.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Rio and Vidic were great but thought that was poor defending from them esp Rio who didn't keep tight to Messi if he did he would have cleared that cross no problem . Messi didn't have to beat anyone, it was a decent cross that found Messi perfectly, obviously you have to put it in the net, but expected for a player of that calibre.
It wasn’t the best defending but considering the circumstance it was pretty iconic.

Jericho

He was completely unmarked. Had the been tighter to him it would have been more impressive, but it’s still no bicycle kick.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Okay buddy. If you can't prove baseless articles regarding Ronaldo just say so no need to tell me what you learned in debates 101..
You are half right, it is a 101, but not for debate, rather it is for logic. And you are below that logic 101 mark.

So after being called out for using a logical fallacy, and after failing to worm your way out, you just decided to double down?

Below 101 level of logic - check
Stubborn - check

You appear to be the United/CR7 fanboy version of TY from AFTV

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Messi against United. Hell, bale’s overhead was arguably better than Ronaldo’s
A reminder that so far I'm the intellectually dishonest one for suggesting Ronaldo vs Messi when it comes to great goals is a subjective matter and not objective. Yet you have these pearlers in this thread.

shamans

Bit ironic that the people who always accuse people who prefer Messi of just going by aesthetics now won't admit that he scores great goals more frequently. Anyway..

Of course not every goal from outside the box is a great goal. But I'm also sure all of us will agree that a goal from outside the box is more likely to be a great goal than a goal from inside the box. And while Messi scores a goal from outside the box every 12.9 games, Ronaldo does so every 18.9 ones. Obviously that's not the best metric to judge the "average greatness" of the goals of both players but it is the best we have right now. I'm also pretty sure that if we showed neutral observers every goal of both players and let them rate it on a scale from 1 to 10, Messi would have the higher average because the proportion of his generic goals is smaller than in Ronaldo's case.

So yeah, not every single one of Messi's 76 goals from outside the box were great one but I'm sure the vast majority was. And that's something Ronaldo has to compensate by his goals from within the box alone - and Messi also regularly scores beauties in that area. But that'll be my last post to this topic. I think this is very, very clear and won't be dragged further into this ;)

--

Now generally regarding the goals: I prefer Ronaldo's overhead kicks, back heel finishes, airtime headers and solo goals over his extreme long range shots. Sure, the latter are the most spectacular and surprising but I always watch them with a grain of salt because I think that it was dumb to attempt it from such a big distance.
You still didn't respond to my other comment about long range efforts but do you at least agree it is subjective and nothing to do with intellectual honesty ?

Just admit that was a fanboy moment where you lost it. happens to all of us.

shamans

Doesn’t matter if they could or couldn’t. This nonsense about Ronaldo joining for the “challenge” and his mentality is absolute rubbish when hardly any teams wanted him and Fergie had to save him from city ruining his united legacy. City also dominated the hell out of the epl in recent years.

Had psg called Ronaldo I’m sure he would have entertained the offer. There was nothing challenging or goat mentality about joining Juventus who won 8 serie a in a row and Ronaldo had them finishing fourth before he bailed on them. You are just forcing a narrative that isn’t there.
Everything you talk about is speculation and opinions. Facts however are simple.

The facts are Ronaldo is playing for man united and Messi for PSG

Man united is more of a challenge than PSG in french league.

It may annoy you that Messi has joined PSG but that's the reality and denying it does no good..

Ladron de redcafe

Everything you talk about is speculation and opinions. Facts however are simple.

The facts are Ronaldo is playing for man united and Messi for PSG

Man united is more of a challenge than PSG in french league.

It may annoy you that Messi has joined PSG but that's the reality and denying it does no good..
Seems as though you're annoyed PSG went all out for Messi while rejecting Ronaldo.

Ironic that you'd talk about opinions Vs facts, before stating that a bunch of opinions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You still didn't respond to my other comment about long range efforts but do you at least agree it is subjective and nothing to do with intellectual honesty ?

Just admit that was a fanboy moment where you lost it. happens to all of us.
No mate, then you misunderstood me. I still think you're being intellectually dishonest. I mean, just look at how you constantly adjust your arguments to squirm out of this. So maybe you should take your own advice more seriously.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I would also say that Messi's goals are better than Ronaldos. I feel that if you were to watch all goals from best to "worst" of both players, you would sooner begin to see tap ins and penalties in Ronaldos goal compilation. I also think that Messis lets say top 5 goals are better as well, because they represent the most difficult goals you can score as a footballer. There is a good reason why you very very rarely see footballers score a goal after dribbling past 4,5 players. I have seen ridiculous goals by average players. Long range, volleys, overhead kicks.. you name it but good luck asking those players to score a "Messi goal".

Hammondo

In that case I present Ronaldo's header against Chelsea in the CL final, jumping higher, better direction on the ball. :smirk:
Great header. Lampards goal was so good damn lucky, I'm still angry about it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I agree with him. It's much more impressive to me that he scored that header.
It was a freaking free header after an awful clearance. It was a very well taken header and goal but there’s a reason it doesn’t get raved about like say Zidane, or Bales goal (which let’s be honest is the best UCL final goal ever). Because it wasn’t that special.

Hammondo

It was a freaking free header after an awful clearance. It was a very well taken header and goal but there’s a reason it doesn’t get raved about like say Zidane, or Bales goal (which let’s be honest is the best UCL final goal ever). Because it wasn’t that special.
I'm just comparing it to the Ronaldo goal mentioned.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That is fair enough, especially as Bolivia are only 2 places ahead of Uzbekistan in the world ranking. However going off rankings is a bit silly, Germany are 13th currently, behind Mexico, Uruguay and Denmark.
Going off rankings is completely stupid, Bolivia play totally different teams from Uzbekistan to formulate their respective ‘rankings’. That’s why you get accurate results like Mexico being ranked above Germany

shamans

Seems as though you're annoyed PSG went all out for Messi while rejecting Ronaldo.

Ironic that you'd talk about opinions Vs facts, before stating that a bunch of opinions.
Yes I am so gutted a glorious club like PSG rejected Ronaldo. What must have it done to his legacy to not join the oil club FC and play in the farmers league.

shamans

No mate, then you misunderstood me. I still think you're being intellectually dishonest. I mean, just look at how you constantly adjust your arguments to squirm out of this. So maybe you should take your own advice more seriously.
Intellectually dishonest is ignoring my replies calling you out.

I don't need to adjust my arguments. You basically said I'm intellectually dishonest if in my opinion Ronaldo has a better compilation of "great goals" and scores them more often vs Messi despite me thinking you can have an opinion for either one.

Beyond this I probably won't reply to you as I see you're not a reasonable poster just here to troll as any one would have agreed how ridiculous your statement was

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No way, not at all. You’ll hear much more about Messi’s header.
Nope. He had a great game tbf and he will be known for that. His goal vs Real was far bigger and memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.