Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Messi can go feck himself. Ronaldo is the absolute GOAT of football, confirmed today. :D :drool:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
One is doing it in the EPL at 37 another is in a retirement league.

Cut from a different cloth.

Red Stone

Ronaldo keeps adding these fairytale moments to his highlight reel. Wins the game with two late goals to break the world record a week ago, marks his return home with two crucial goals today. Great players produce great moments. No-one produces great moments as frequently as Ronaldo. If real life was a movie he'd be criticised for being too much of a Mary Sue.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
To still be doing it at this age is phenomenonal.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
***** choose Messi because of ‘talent’

Winners take Ronnie because of winning

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
More interesting and storied career definitely belongs to Ronaldo.

Straw haired, gangly teenager comes to Manchester from Sporting, grows into the best player in the world over 6 years and wins his team the Champions League.

Goes to Real Madrid and becomes the most feared goalscorer in world football, winning the CL 3 times in a row.

Tries his hand at Série A and wins the league there too, scoring over 100 goals in 3 seasons

He returns home to the club that grew him and nurtured him under the best club manager of all time, and scores a brace on his debut at nearly 37 years old, coached by one of Ferguson’s own.

During that period, he also managed to win his countries only major honor in their history whilst becoming the highest goalscorer in the history of international football.

There is a massive debate to be had about the best footballer, but he is going to do enough here to put the “best career” question far beyond Messi.

It has been absolutely magical.

VP

Fascinating read by Jonathan Liew on Ronaldo's greatness and his fanboys' obsession with Messi. A nice excerpt:

Delve into the howling wildernesses of the internet, on sites such as Reddit and 4chan and men’s fitness forums, and what Ronaldo embodies above all is something larger than simply goals and medals. To a certain cross-section of disaffected young males from which he seems to draw the core of his fanbase, he represents a sort of ultimate masculinity: vindication, vengeance, pride, indestructibility, physical dominance, the satisfaction of crushing your enemies underfoot. Ronaldo wins, and so by extension everyone else – including the “manlet” Messi – loses.

Perhaps something for the more rabid Ronaldo fanboys on here to reflect on.

Fascinating read by Jonathan Liew on Ronaldo's greatness and his fanboys' obsession with Messi. A nice excerpt:

Delve into the howling wildernesses of the internet, on sites such as Reddit and 4chan and men’s fitness forums, and what Ronaldo embodies above all is something larger than simply goals and medals. To a certain cross-section of disaffected young males from which he seems to draw the core of his fanbase, he represents a sort of ultimate masculinity: vindication, vengeance, pride, indestructibility, physical dominance, the satisfaction of crushing your enemies underfoot. Ronaldo wins, and so by extension everyone else – including the “manlet” Messi – loses.

“Fascinating” :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

:lol:

Idxomer

Definitely the worst thing I've read this year.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I'm fine with people prefering Messi or Ronaldo but those comments about Ronaldo "doing it in the PL" after 2 goals against Newcastle are pretty ridiculous. No way to know if he's still "doing it" after at least half of the season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm fine with people prefering Messi or Ronaldo but those comments about Ronaldo "doing it in the PL" after 2 goals against Newcastle are pretty ridiculous. No way to know if he's still "doing it" after at least half of the season.
Tbf most here are united fans. His goals mean something to us. For neutrals Messi's goals in ligue 1 won't really carry much gravity.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Incredible really how close their stats are when it comes to goals, trophies, individual acclaims, and so on - but I guess if they hadn't been this wouldn't have been much of a debate. However, having watched them over the years, albeit sporadically, I don't think it's that close.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
More interesting and storied career definitely belongs to Ronaldo.

Straw haired, gangly teenager comes to Manchester from Sporting, grows into the best player in the world over 6 years and wins his team the Champions League.

Goes to Real Madrid and becomes the most feared goalscorer in world football, winning the CL 3 times in a row.

Tries his hand at Série A and wins the league there too, scoring over 100 goals in 3 seasons

He returns home to the club that grew him and nurtured him under the best club manager of all time, and scores a brace on his debut at nearly 37 years old, coached by one of Ferguson’s own.

During that period, he also managed to win his countries only major honor in their history whilst becoming the highest goalscorer in the history of international football.

There is a massive debate to be had about the best footballer, but he is going to do enough here to put the “best career” question far beyond Messi.

It has been absolutely magical.
I’m sorry but this is nonsense.

I love Ronaldo, more than Messi in fact, but the notion that he can put the question “far beyond Messi” is very biased.

Messi was diagnosed as basically a dwarf as a child. He would later going on to become arguably the greatest ever after signing his first pro contract on a napkin.

Not to mention he will likely retire with more Ballon D’or’s.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I’m sorry but this is nonsense.

I love Ronaldo, more than Messi in fact, but the notion that he can put the question “far beyond Messi” is very biased.

Messi was diagnosed as basically a dwarf as a child. He would later going on to become arguably the greatest ever after signing his first pro contract on a napkin.

Not to mention he will likely retire with more Ballon D’or’s.
Sorry, his career just doesn’t have the romantic side that Ronaldo’s does. It’s perfectly summed up by the reaction the goals got today. It means more than a two year holiday in Paris. It just reads more impressively for me as a career.

Messi is more naturally gifted but Ronaldo is still going strong in a top league at nearly 37. He won trophies at different clubs. He made different great teams into world class one and he gave his nation their first every major honour.

If I could choose a career, it is Ronaldo’s and I wouldn’t even need to think about it. His career has been a far more varied and it’s a far more interesting story for me, and I think it’s a no contest as to which one looks more exciting on paper.

Their final major moves summed it up for me. It’s not nonsense at all. It’s not bias to have an opinion about their careers and that’s mine.

*Ronaldo also has the humble beginnings part of the story sewn up. Messi once being very short and receiving steroid treatment until he wasn’t that short anymore is hardly inspiring.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Incredible really how close their stats are when it comes to goals, trophies, individual acclaims, and so on - but I guess if they hadn't been this wouldn't have been much of a debate. However, having watched them over the years, albeit sporadically, I don't think it's that close.
yeah Messi’s playmaking settles it

rotherham_red

From my viewing of this thread, it seems it's the other way round mate. Where the Messi stans are affronted that someone can hold the subjective opinion that they prefer Ronaldo. That somehow it's an undisputable and objective fact that he's the greatest of all time (spoiler alert: it isn't, and my personal opinion is that it's Maradona)

Status
Not open for further replies.