Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No, it wasn't close when Messi played in La Liga and Ronaldo in Serie A. La Liga had three teams of Juventus' level and sit/still sits comfortably ahead of Serie A in the 5 year rating. And the EPL wasn't better than La Liga in the 00s either. If anything they were roughly on par as evidenced by the UEFA 5 year rating, too.

It's impressive how effortlessly you guys move the goal posts. You really need a fact check every other posts. I mean, wasn't it you who called France the fifth best league and on par with Portugal because of this rating just recently? Why don't you stick with this metric then?

Just to make it clear, I don't actually care about this stuff myself. Those are strawman arguments. Watch them play and decide.
It’s mostly just the official coefficient ranking from UEFA as reference (especially the current one), not that I’d strongly agree or disagree with, I just felt it’s fair rating in general, and yeh maybe France should have ranked 5th or something. It’s up to you on how to interpret it though, if there’s something you feel strongly disagree with, I have nothing more to add there.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Scored more against Manchester clubs than London clubs :smirk:
Well, missing a penalty against Chelsea that year they could (should) have retained it certainly didn't help. :smirk:

Also the disappearing act in the Scandal of Stamford Bridge...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
During mid late 2000’s (04-09), PL is easily the best league in the world. No question on that. Anyone who disagree probably didn’t watch any football during that era.

04-05 - 2 PL teams in semi, 1 won it
05-06 - 1 PL team in the final
06-07 - 3 PL teams in semi, 1 in final
07-08 - 3 PL teams in semi, 2 in final, 1 won it
08-09 - 3 PL teams in semi, 1 in final

There are 4 different PL teams feature in final within this 5 years period, with 12 semi final appearance out of 20, 6 final appearance out of 10.

I’d say it’s near total domination in terms of overall strength, its probably the best period of English football in Europe in the history.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Well, missing a penalty against Chelsea that year they could (should) have retained it certainly didn't help. :smirk:

Also the disappearing act in the Scandal of Stamford Bridge...
You mean the one where Messi assisted Iniesta

how about Ronaldo getting bailed out by Terry after missing his penalty?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
When the dust settles and both sides have thrown all their stats and trophies at each other and are lying, tired but still at loggerheads, Messi lying behind the wall will be the decider :lol:
Did Pelé ever lie behind a wall? I dont think so.

LawmanMan

The biggest player in the world. Wears number 30 shirt at his new club. Celebrates a debut goal of pure individual brilliance by keep pointing at a young player who gives the assist. Lies down behind the wall to defend a freekick instead of waiting further on the pitch for a counterattack. What a guy. Humility is power.
But he doesn't look good oiled up wearing Calvin Kleins, so a good proportion of fans prefer our lovable rascal instead.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This right here these moments are why Ronaldo sets himself apart, that mentality , that ability to show up in the biggest moments time after time after time. Comith the hour comith the man and he is THE man in this Sport.

Different breed this guy is. Unreal.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This right here these moments are why Ronaldo sets himself apart, that mentality , that ability to show up in the biggest moments time after time after time. Comith the hour comith the man and he is THE man in this Sport.

You wouldn't take anyone else to win a game for you.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Well, the truth is he is more limited now than before, though still a fantastic goalscorer.

SportingCP96

Supports
You wouldn't take anyone else to win a game for you.
Nobody in the sport would ever be picked over Ronaldo in a big moment. Time after time after time it’s always him. His “story” and legacy is movie worthy, MJ like when he hit “the shot”

GOAT shit.

OverratedOpinion

Nobody in the sport would ever be picked over Ronaldo in a big moment. Time after time after time it’s always him. His “story” and legacy is movie worthy, MJ like when he hit “the shot”

GOAT shit.
He has the best mindset of any human being who has ever played professional sport in my opinion.

Red Stone

One is stat-padding with a pointless goal in a game that was already won against some European minnows with no history in the competition. The other smashes home a crucial injury time winner against the reigning champions of Europa. Class apart.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo now hold the UCL record for

Most appearances: 177
Most goals:135
Most goals in a season:17
Most goals in KO stages:67
Most UCL wins: 5

He truly is Mr. Champions league.

He is the greatest ever Champions league player ever and it’s not even a contest in that competition. He’s so far ahead it’s not even close.

OverratedOpinion

120% I think he MJ and Brady are the only players ever to have that same mindset and lore.
I quite like basketball but at this point I actually think MJ pales in comparison to be totally honest.

The thing that I find amusing about Ronaldo is that he was a skinny kid who was quite quick and literally turned himself into the super athlete to end all super athletes through pure will and determination. To me he is the crusher of excuses, any player who does not reach their potential because of drinking, diet or lack of hard work should feel incredibly uncomfortable just looking at him.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

GOAT shit.
It was the eleventh best team in Spain ffs :lol: but it’s good to see both he and Messi have a good week in CL

enjoy it my friend

SportingCP96

Supports
I quite like basketball but at this point I actually think MJ pales in comparison to be totally honest.

The thing that I find amusing about Ronaldo is that he was a skinny kid who was quite quick and literally turned himself into the super athlete to end all super athletes through pure will and determination. To me he is the crusher of excuses, any player who does not reach their potential because of drinking, diet or lack of hard work should feel incredibly uncomfortable just looking at him.
Yes and no on that last statement. Their is a reason Ronaldo is literally a 1/1 in the Sport. Nobody has ever done what he’s done nor has anyone ever had the work ethic and same determination as him.

However I do understand your general point, just seeing what he’s done should make anyone motivated to reach and do their absolute best!

SportingCP96

Supports
It was the eleventh best team in Spain ffs :lol: but it’s good to see both he and Messi have a good week in CL

enjoy it my friend
It has nothing to do with where the team is ranked, he’s done it vs the best or the best as well

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
120% I think he MJ and Brady are the only players ever to have that same mindset and lore.
Brady is an overrated hack, and a terrible comparison to Jordan or Cristiano, who are both far more talented at their respective sports.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It has nothing to do with where the team is ranked, he’s done it vs the best or the best as well
In fairness he hasn’t done it against the best in several years but he’s also aging. Him and Messi haven’t been all that impressive against the top 5 teams or so in their respective leagues in recent years. But having said all this, with both these players having their best years behind them it’s nice to see them still hungry for the goals and for Ronaldo today and United fans OT was electric at the end there

SportingCP96

Supports
Brady is an overrated hack, and a terrible comparison to Jordan or Cristiano, who are both far more talented at their respective sports.
I’m talking mindset wise.

Gotta respect Brady.

SportingCP96

Supports
In fairness he hasn’t done it against the best in several years but he’s also aging. Him and Messi haven’t been all that impressive against the top 5 teams or so in their respective leagues in recent years. But having said all this, with both these players having their best years behind them it’s nice to see them still hungry for the goals and for Ronaldo today and United fans OT was electric at the end there
We won’t ever see two players like then playing at the same time ever again.

It will all be over in 3 years or so it’s sad to think about !

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We won’t ever see two players like then playing at the same time ever again.

It will all be over in 3 years or so it’s sad to think about !
I’m glad I was able to see both live in person when I did. Ronaldo had a brace against Udinese and miles better than anyone else on the pitch. It’s good he left Juventus. United have a much higher ceiling if things go right.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Brady should slap you in the face for this disrespect, but his hand is weighed down by all those Super Bowl rings.
Should still have enough strength given all the hgh running through his veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.