Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saffron

The biggest player in the world. Wears number 30 shirt at his new club. Celebrates a debut goal of pure individual brilliance by keep pointing at a young player who gives the assist. Lies down behind the wall to defend a freekick instead of waiting further on the pitch for a counterattack. What a guy. Humility is power.

The protagonist of football. Anyone who genuinely doesn’t like him should really ask themselves: ”Are we the baddies”?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ligue 1 is weaker than La Liga, PSG far and away the best team. Serie A is also weaker than La Liga, and when Ronaldo joined Juventus was far and away the best team. If joining Ligue 1 goes against Messi for this reason then by your own logic it should go against Ronaldo also to some degree, right (the degree contingent on how much weaker you think Serie A to be)? If so then we don't have a problem.
You think I said it because it's a weaker league than La Liga. That's not why I said it.

Real Name

The biggest player in the world. Wears number 30 shirt at his new club. Celebrates a debut goal of pure individual brilliance by keep pointing at a young player who gives the assist. Lies down behind the wall to defend a freekick instead of waiting further on the pitch for a counterattack. What a guy. Humility is power.
Have I stumbled on Facebook by accident.

Jesus Christ making a story about how he laid down behind the wall. Legends will be told about that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ligue 1 is weaker than La Liga, PSG far and away the best team. Serie A is also weaker than La Liga, and when Ronaldo joined Juventus was far and away the best team. If joining Ligue 1 goes against Messi for this reason then by your own logic it should go against Ronaldo also to some degree, right (the degree contingent on how much weaker you think Serie A to be)? If so then we don't have a problem.
In terms of relative strength of league standing during their time of rivalry:

During their formative years (mid 2000’s):
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL (Messi)

3. Serie A

During Messi/Ronaldo prime years:
1. LL (Messi Ronaldo)
2. PL
3. Serie A

From 18-21 (during Ronaldo time in Italy)
1. PL
2. LL (Messi)
3. Serie A (Ronaldo)

Currently
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL
3. Serie A
4. BL
5. Portuguese league
6. L1 (Messi)

It was always close in terms of quality of league, until this season.

432JuanMata

1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL (Messi)

3. Serie A

1. LL (Messi Ronaldo)
2. PL
3. Serie A

1. PL
2. LL (Messi)
3. Serie A (Ronaldo)

Currently
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL
3. Serie A
4. BL
5. Portuguese league
6. L1 (Messi)

Yeah Messi is in a poor league but like the rest that join PSG they aren’t doing it for the league it’s for the CL. People might say Messi close a easy option but PSG is expected to win the CL or they failed. Also he has giving himself a huge chance of winning it much more than Ronaldo

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's kind of stupid to bump this everytime they score a goal. They have individual threads. And a huge legacy behind them. Perhaps we should wait untill the the season has really got going.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL (Messi)

3. Serie A

1. LL (Messi Ronaldo)
2. PL
3. Serie A

1. PL
2. LL (Messi)
3. Serie A (Ronaldo)

Currently
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL
3. Serie A
4. BL
5. Portuguese league
6. L1 (Messi)

No, it wasn't close when Messi played in La Liga and Ronaldo in Serie A. La Liga had three teams of Juventus' level and sit/still sits comfortably ahead of Serie A in the 5 year rating. And the EPL wasn't better than La Liga in the 00s either. If anything they were roughly on par as evidenced by the UEFA 5 year rating, too.

It's impressive how effortlessly you guys move the goal posts. You really need a fact check every other posts. I mean, wasn't it you who called France the fifth best league and on par with Portugal because of this rating just recently? Why don't you stick with this metric then?

Just to make it clear, I don't actually care about this stuff myself. Those are strawman arguments. Watch them play and decide.

Last edited:

432JuanMata

It's kind of stupid to bump this everytime they score a goal. They have individual threads. And a huge legacy behind them. Perhaps we should wait untill the the season has really got going.
I only comment in here too show both stats and achievements but since I followed this thread it really does show fans are fickle as it changes game to game. Both are amazing and should be just admired

Gehrman

I only comment in here too show both stats and achievements but since I followed this thread it really does show fans are fickle as it changes game to game. Both are amazing and should be just admired
Wasn't really commenting on that specifically, but more like the people who go "how is this even a debate anymore?" everytime one of them scores a goal. It didnt used to be like that.

trims

Supports
Arsenal

1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL (Messi)

3. Serie A

1. LL (Messi Ronaldo)
2. PL
3. Serie A

1. PL
2. LL (Messi)
3. Serie A (Ronaldo)

Currently
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL
3. Serie A
4. BL
5. Portuguese league
6. L1 (Messi)

Actually between 18-20 when Ronaldo was at Juve, based on UEFA,
1. PL
2. LL (Messi)
3. BL
4. Serie A (Ronaldo)

and that was really bumped up by Juventus's record in the Champions league. In the Last 10 years, the only team other than Juve to make it past the Round of 16 in the Champions league is Atlanta (2020 - Quarter finals) and Roma (2018 -- Semis). This is pretty poor compared to La liga where you had Sevilla, Atletico, Real Madrid in addition to Barca. It was never close in terms of league quality while Ronaldo was in Serie A.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
And the EPL wasn't better than La Liga in the 00s either. If anything they were roughly on par as evidenced by the UEFA 5 year rating, too.
I mean it was. The top teams in PL were incredibly dominant at that point and people without your weird agenda against the PL could see how good those teams were.

El Jefe

He looks shot physically but then again he looked similar for the first few months last season and had an exceptional year after he got into full swing.

He's already solidified as my GOAT tbh, it makes little sense trying to weaken his GOAT argument based on what he does when he's way passed his peak. The same holds true for Ronaldo, Juventus didn't really go as planned from a trophy standpoint but who cares, what he did at Madrid, Portugal and United is what counts.

The way I see it, Messi and Ronaldo can only add to their GOAT cases by their stints at PSG and United II. If they don't have the success some expect, fine it just means they are finally showing they are human and declining but that should not be held against either of them.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Thought he played well. He is neat and tidy and has an excellent finish in him. Neymar appears to love him. Mbappe might be a bit p*ssed off. City should have won that game though. I watched the highlights and it was all City. I don't think PSG will get too close this year.

Gehrman

He looks shot physically but then again he looked similar for the first few months last season and had an exceptional year after he got into full swing.

He's already solidified as my GOAT tbh, it makes little sense trying to weaken his GOAT argument based on what he does when he's way passed his peak. The same holds true for Ronaldo, Juventus didn't really go as planned from a trophy standpoint but who cares, what he did at Madrid, Portugal and United is what counts.

The way I see it, Messi and Ronaldo can only add to their GOAT cases by their stints at PSG and United II. If they don't have the success some expect, fine it just means they are finally showing they are human and declining but that should not be held against either of them.
Its kind of how i feel. They both sealed their legacy long ago anything impressive they do now is just a bonus but they are not by default the best in the world anymore.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Just to make it clear, I don't actually care about this stuff myself. Those are strawman arguments. Watch them play and decide.

690 posts to tell us he doesn't actually really care.

KeanoMagicHat

Currently
1. PL (Ronaldo)
2. LL
3. Serie A
4. BL
5. Portuguese league
6. L1 (Messi)
Ligue 1 isn't the 6th best league in Europe, on what basis is the Portuguese league currently better?

Halftrack

The protagonist of football. Anyone who genuinely doesn’t like him should really ask themselves: ”Are we the baddies”?
Yes, people who dislikes the greedy tax-dodging cnut are the baddies, and not the greedy tax dodging cnut.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He is great but he and his Dad are cleary greedy tax dodgers also. Nobody is perfect.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean it was. The top teams in PL were incredibly dominant at that point and people without your weird agenda against the PL could see how good those teams were.
Incredibly dominant? Judging by the UEFA coefficient ranking, La Liga has easily been the best European league between 2000 and 2020. I if you look at those, it paints relatively clear picture:

2002 - 2007:
1. Tier: La Liga
2. Tier: EPL and Serie A

2008-2013:
1. Tier: EPL and La Liga
2. Tier: Serie A and Bundesliga

2013 - 2017:
2. Tier: EPL and Bundesliga

2018 - 2020
2. Tier: EPL
3. Tier: Bundesliga and Serie A

Don't believe everything an EPL ad tells you. The EPL overtook La Liga only recently.

690 posts to tell us he doesn't actually really care.
Of course I care about the topic. I don't care which league is the strongest, you genius. What triggers me the most in this thread isn't Messi vs. Ronaldo, however, but "I only look at a spread sheet and judge the best player by goals and facial expressions" vs. watching actual football and paying attention to the details.

By the way, what's this habit of shaming people for how much they posted in a thread? You're posting in an online football forum yourself, so you're a nerd, too. The question is only who's the bigger one.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Latest official european rankings based on the performances of clubs in Europe.
On the co-efficient I see France still ahead marginally.

But even if so, surely this will not last very long. In the Champions League, Sporting are bottom of their group with 0 points, Porto have 1 point in their group, both will really struggle to make it out of their groups at this stage, while you would expect PSG with their team to make the last 4 at least of the CL. Lille are much weaker this time, but have a weak enough group so should be tight whether they qualify or not.

Braga lost their first game of their Europa League group, while Monaco and Lyon won theirs, Marseille there too, they drew. Pacos de Ferreira didn't qualify for the UEFA Conference League while Rennes did.

tomaldinho1

:lol: :lol: :lol: bloody hell, it really is getting ridiculous in here

Eddy_JukeZ

Incredibly dominant? Judging by the UEFA coefficient ranking, La Liga has easily been the best European league between 2000 and 2020. I if you look at those, it paints relatively clear picture:

2002 - 2007:
2. Tier: EPL and Serie A

2008-2013:
1. Tier: EPL and La Liga
2. Tier: Serie A and Bundesliga

2013 - 2017:
2. Tier: EPL and Bundesliga

2018 - 2020
2. Tier: EPL
3. Tier: Bundesliga and Serie A

Don't believe everything an EPL ad tells you. The EPL overtook La Liga only recently.
No it didn't.

From like 2005 to 2009, the Premier League was easily stronger. Just look at how many Premier League teams consistently made the semi-finals compared to La Liga teams. Real Madrid were getting constantly getting knocked out in the round of 16 back then. They weren't a CL threat at all.

The Premier League had 2 straight seasons of 4 quarter-finalists. La Liga never had that if I recall correctly. And the only reason there weren't 4 semi-finalists in 2008 is because Arsenal-Liverpool played each in the quarters.

Heck in 2008, you could argue the 4 best teams in the world were all in the Premier League.

La Liga only overtook the Premier League then because of Real Madrid's galactico spending in the summer of 2009 weakening both United and Liverpool.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No it didn't.

From like 2005 to 2009, the Premier League was easily stronger. Just look at how many Premier League teams consistently made the semi-finals compared to La Liga teams. Real Madrid were getting constantly getting knocked out in the round of 16 back then. They weren't a CL threat at all.

The Premier League had 2 straight seasons of 4 quarter-finalists. La Liga never had that if I recall correctly. And the only reason there weren't 4 semi-finalists in 2008 is because Arsenal-Liverpool played each in the quarters.

Heck in 2008, you could argue the 4 best teams in the world were all in the Premier League.

La Liga only overtook the Premier League then because of Real Madrid's galactico spending in the summer of 2009 weakening both United and Liverpool.
If that's the case, tell me why they didn't accumulate more points in the ranking than La Liga and only managed to finish before them by very small margins. For what it's worth, La Liga won three UCLs in the 00s, too, while the EPL won two.

Moving away from the UEFA coefficient ranking, then it is realtively clear that Pep's Barca and Madrid after Cristiano's move were the best teams in the world towards the end of the 00s. For a year or two, United was up there when Cristiano was still with them. In the middle, it was more or less clearly Barcelona on top with Ronaldinho in his prime, as well as Milan in the Kaka, Shevchenko, etc. era. And in the beginning, it was probably Madrid and United.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If that's the case, tell me why they didn't accumulate more points in the ranking than La Liga and only managed to finish before them by very small margins. For what it's worth, La Liga won three UCLs in the 00s, too, while the EPL won two.

Moving away from the UEFA coefficient ranking, then it is realtively clear that Pep's Barca and Madrid after Cristiano's move were the best teams in the world towards the end of the 00s. For a year or two, United was up there when Cristiano was still with them. In the middle, it was more or less clearly Barcelona on top with Ronaldinho in his prime, as well as Milan in the Kaka, Shevchenko, etc. era. And in the beginning, it was probably Madrid and United.
The coefficient rankings give an idea but don't tell the full story. I mean seriously if you watched CL football back then, then yes you know that up to 2009 when Pep's Barça took over, and then the shift of power that happened, prior to this there was a big chunk of years where the English clubs were so strong. 2005-2009, 5 years in a row, you had an English club in the final. I mean you have to be blind or incredibly agenda driven to not recognise that those years, the British clubs were really good in Europe.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
On the co-efficient I see France still ahead marginally.

But even if so, surely this will not last very long. In the Champions League, Sporting are bottom of their group with 0 points, Porto have 1 point in their group, both will really struggle to make it out of their groups at this stage, while you would expect PSG with their team to make the last 4 at least of the CL. Lille are much weaker this time, but have a weak enough group so should be tight whether they qualify or not.

Braga lost their first game of their Europa League group, while Monaco and Lyon won theirs, Marseille there too, they drew. Pacos de Ferreira didn't qualify for the UEFA Conference League while Rennes did.
Like you said, it's because of those dreadful performances from Portuguese clubs so far and you're right, I suspect at the end of the season, France will finish at its usual 5th place. Portugal overtaking them, even for a few weeks, really caught the eye

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The coefficient rankings give an idea but don't tell the full story. I mean seriously if you watched CL football back then, then yes you know that up to 2009 when Pep's Barça took over, and then the shift of power that happened, prior to this there was a big chunk of years where the English clubs were so strong. 2005-2009, 5 years in a row, you had an English club in the final. I mean you have to be blind or incredibly agenda driven to not recognise that those years, the British clubs were really good in Europe.
Of course they were really good in Europe and that shows in the UEFA coefficients. But they weren't better than the La Liga clubs in total, it's that easy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Of course they were really good in Europe and that shows in the UEFA coefficients. But they weren't better than the La Liga clubs in total, it's that easy.
How is it that easy? Between 05 and 09 there were 12 English teams in the SF vs 4 Spanish teams in the SFs. The English clubs outperformed the Spanish clubs by every possible metric.

tomaldinho1

I don't know if they were serious or not :lol: Messi was probably told to do that because he was the shortest player on the pitch.
When the dust settles and both sides have thrown all their stats and trophies at each other and are lying, tired but still at loggerheads, Messi lying behind the wall will be the decider :lol:

Halftrack

Oh you mean just like Mr. ”She said no and stop several times” was convicted of tax evasion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46957605.amp
See, this is what tribalism does to your brain. Your statement was
Anyone who genuinely doesn’t like him should really ask themselves: ”Are we the baddies”?
and when I challenged it, you immediately go to "WELL WHAT ABOUT RONALDO, HUH?"

Ronaldo doing bad things does not excuse Messi doing bad things, nor does it make Messi more likable. It's wholly irrelevant to both your original statement and my response to it. There are very good reasons for why someone might not "genuinely like" Messi, and suggesting otherwise smacks of blind fanboyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.