• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I know, i was talking about assists in their whole career, not just Champions League...Messi has more.

Ronaldo has now the record of most goals scored in the Euro, 10 vs 9 scored by Platini, however Platini scored those 9 goals in one edition, Ronaldo needed 5 euros to score those 10 goals.

And let's not forget than in Euro 2016 the best player was Griezmann, not Cristiano... despite Portugal winning the trophy.
and that even Ronaldo would admit Pepe was Portugal’s best asset that year much like mascherano was for Argentina in 2014.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Please explain why MOTM is a less good indicator than any of the other things you mentioned in determining which player has performed better.
Goals, assists etc are hard data, MotM awards are decided by someone’s opinion

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
But it's an opinon based on performance. Like David Gea being our best player during the LVG, Mourinho years before he became shit.

Like I wrote before, you'd think that Messi was obviously motm of the 2009 final since he is a goat and got on the scoresheet, but Iniesta fully deserved his motm award.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
This sounds like that hilarious time when Ronaldo said that the golden boot was worth more than the Ballon D’Or because the Ballon D’Or was based on arbitrary opinion. And then Messi ended up with more of both :lol:

Anyway, goals and assists are ‘hard data’ but they don’t actually prove anything. Unless of course you think that Lewa and Benzema are the 3rd and 4th best players of the past 30 years……

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
If you want hard data, then factor in all the hard data. Goals per match, assists per match, conversion ratio , xg etc.
Also MotM isn't someone's opinion. It's a consensus, like Balon Do'r, Player of the year etc. Football is watched by a crowd didn't you know?

Cal?

CR7 fan
This sounds like that hilarious time when Ronaldo said that the golden boot was worth more than the Ballon D’Or because the Ballon D’Or was based on arbitrary opinion. And then Messi ended up with more of both :lol:

Anyway, goals and assists are ‘hard data’ but they don’t actually prove anything. Unless of course you think that Lewa and Benzema are the 3rd and 4th best players of the past 30 years……
Again, Ronaldo has received more votes in Ballon D'or in more years than Messi has.

MotM awards don't actually prove anything either, unless you think football should be scored by judges like diving or gymnastics. :rolleyes:

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Again, Ronaldo has received more votes in Ballon D'or in more years than Messi has.

MotM awards don't actually prove anything either, unless you think football should be scored by judges like diving or gymnastics. :rolleyes:
When you say Ronaldo has more votes in the Balon D'or, you're saying what you've said many times before. Why not interpret or draw a conclusion from that, so we can discuss? What do you think it means? ( Don't just say it means Ronaldo is better. Explain how you came to whatever conclusion you offer)

Cal?

CR7 fan
When you say Ronaldo has more votes in the Balon D'or, you're saying what you've said many times before. Why not interpret or draw a conclusion from that, so we can discuss? What do you think it means? ( Don't just say it means Ronaldo is better. Explain how you came to whatever conclusion you offer)
It means more people thought he had better years than Messi than the other way round in the last 15 years or so.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
It means more people thought he had better years than Messi than the other way round in the last 15 years or so.
2008 to 2020 is 12 years.
There have been 12 balon dor awards
Messi 6, Ronaldo 5, Modric 1.
So Messi has definitely been better for 6, and Ronaldo has definitely been better for 5.
So even if Ronaldo was better when modric won it, its still 6-6.
Which means 5hat Ronaldo having more Balon dor votes is due to something other than the conclusion you came up with( Ronaldo having more better years.
Do you agree?
If not, then can you point to a flaw in the logic?
If you do agree, please come up with an alternative theory as to why Ronaldo has more votes

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

You keep saying that as if it means something, but Messi will probably end his career with more votes in the Ballon D’Or than Ronaldo. He’s two and half years younger. He’s about to get more in this upcoming edition. What will you say then?

And I’m not saying MOTM is the be all and end all, just that it is the only metric we have discussed that judges individual game performance. Goals don’t do that. Assists don’t do that. Team trophies don’t do that. Sorry.

I’m pretty sure if we were to do a complete statistical breakdown of CL performance, it would be heavily in Messi’s favour as well.

Cal?

CR7 fan
2008 to 2020 is 12 years.
There have been 12 balon dor awards
Messi 6, Ronaldo 5, Modric 1.
So Messi has definitely been better for 6, and Ronaldo has definitely been better for 5.
So even if Ronaldo was better when modric won it, its still 6-6.
Which means 5hat Ronaldo having more Balon dor votes is due to something other than the conclusion you came up with( Ronaldo having more better years.
Do you agree?
If not, then can you point to a flaw in the logic?
If you do agree, please come up with an alternative theory as to why Ronaldo has more votes
Football started in 2008? You lot are desperate to credit Messi for that first CL win in 2006 yet when it comes to Ballon D'or, nothing before 2008 counts? :confused:

Cal?

CR7 fan
You keep saying that as if it means something, but Messi will probably end his career with more votes in the Ballon D’Or than Ronaldo. He’s two and half years younger. He’s about to get more in this upcoming edition. What will you say then?

And I’m not saying MOTM is the be all and end all, just that it is the only metric we have discussed that judges individual game performance. Goals don’t do that. Assists don’t do that. Team trophies don’t do that. Sorry.

I’m pretty sure if we were to do a complete statistical breakdown of CL performance, it would be heavily in Messi’s favour as well.
He's younger but will he retire later? Rooney is younger than Ronaldo too.

Not sure if you're serious about the CL one, Ronaldo has more wins, more goals (far more in QF onwards), more assists, what stat does Messi win in CLs? Dribbles? :lol:

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Football started in 2008? You lot are desperate to credit Messi for that first CL win in 2006 yet when it comes to Ballon D'or, nothing before 2008 counts? :confused:
Did Ronaldo or Messi win the Balon D'or before 2008?
Anyways, Do you agree with the logic or not?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Did Ronaldo or Messi win the Balon D'or before 2008?
Anyways, Do you agree with the logic or not?
Who said anything about wins, fact is Ronaldo received more votes than Messi in 2004, 05, 06 & 07.

Even if we start the count in 2006 (the CL that gets credited to Messi), Ronaldo is clearly in the lead.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's younger but will he retire later? Rooney is younger than Ronaldo too.

Not sure if you're serious about the CL one, Ronaldo has more wins, more goals (far more in QF onwards), more assists, what stat does Messi win in CLs? Dribbles? :lol:
Rooney smokes and has boxing matches in his front room. Not a good comparison.

Come on, you’re better than this Cal. A full breakdown would of course include dribbles (they actually do matter, and have done since the beginning of time, despite what Ronaldo acolytes would try and tell you) but also XG, chances created, big chances created, key passes, completed passes, stats per 90 (to address the fact that Ronaldo has played more games) etc etc. This is not hard.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Who said anything about wins, fact is Ronaldo received more votes than Messi in 2004, 05, 06 & 07.

Even if we start the count in 2006 (the CL that gets credited to Messi), Ronaldo is clearly in the lead.
This is a desperate grasp at straws even for you. Messi under Rijkaard was usually injured for about a third of every season. He was still clearly more talented than Ronaldo at that time but he wasn’t going to get more votes because he wasn’t playing as much as the older guy. Dear oh dear…..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Rooney smokes and has boxing matches in his front room. Not a good comparison.

Come on, you’re better than this Cal. A full breakdown would of course include dribbles (they actually do matter, and have done since the beginning of time, despite what Ronaldo acolytes would try and tell you) but also XG, chances created, big chances created, key passes, completed passes, stats per 90 (to address the fact that Ronaldo has played more games) etc etc. This is not hard.
Never mind Rooney, how many top players are still playing at top clubs (if you can call United that right now) at 36? Does Messi strike you as being similar to Ronaldo or Zlatan in his physical condition (nothing to do with skills in this part of the discussion).

Anyway, we clearly disagree on this, for me dribbles mean feck all unless they lead to goals (or at least chances created), otherwise someone like Denilson would be considered a top player.

If you want to do stats per game for the CL, please go ahead, but I'd suggest you should weigh knockout games higher than group games too (to address the fact Ronaldo takes his team further in more occasions).

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is a desperate grasp at straws even for you. Messi under Rijkaard was usually injured for about a third of every season. He was still clearly more talented than Ronaldo at that time but he wasn’t going to get more votes because he wasn’t playing as much as the older guy. Dear oh dear…..
Oh, so somehow he played a vital part (according to your fellow Messi brigade members) in the 2006 CL win but Ballon D'or voting in 2006 should be ignored. :houllier:

Gehrman

Messi has a better goals pr game ratio than Ronaldo in the CL, but I agree that Ronnie's superior goal record in the knockouts counts for more.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace

So now you reveal where you're getting at. Couldn't it be because he was older and further along development?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Never mind Rooney, how many top players are still playing at top clubs (if you can call United that right now) at 36? Does Messi strike you as being similar to Ronaldo or Zlatan in his physical condition (nothing to do with skills in this part of the discussion).

Anyway, we clearly disagree on this, for me dribbles mean feck all unless they lead to goals (or at least chances created), otherwise someone like Denilson would be considered a top player.

If you want to do stats per game for the CL, please go ahead, but I'd suggest you should weigh knockout games higher than group games too (to address the fact Ronaldo takes his team further in more occasions).
You can’t just reference a single player that didn’t live up to his billing as proof of your dodgy notions Cal. I suppose Stanley Matthews was a nothing player then was he? Shall we call him the ‘wizard of feck all’ instead? What a charlatan.

I’m sure Mane Garrincha, George Best, Ryan Giggs, Jimmy Johnstone, Diego Maradona, Roberto Rivellino, Luis Figo, Pierre Littbarski and Jairzinho were all similarly useless, right?

Re Messi, he just had his best ever international tournament at the age of 34. I’m sure he’ll keep going at a high level for a few years yet. Don’t let this prospect scare you too much ;)

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Oh, so somehow he played a vital part (according to your fellow Messi brigade members) in the 2006 CL win but Ballon D'or voting in 2006 should be ignored. :houllier:
Two separate things, but you inadvertently prove what I’m saying. His performances in that tournament were world class (e.g. v Chelsea when he terrorised the best defence in the world), hence his medal is warranted.

Then what happened? He got injured. Had he been fit consistently in those early seasons he would have got a lot more BDO votes because his performances were already elite.

Gehrman

You can’t just reference a single player that didn’t live up to his billing as proof of your dodgy notions Cal. I suppose Stanley Matthews was a nothing player then was he? Shall we call him the ‘wizard of feck all’ instead? What a charlatan.

I’m sure Mane Garrincha, George Best, Ryan Giggs, Jimmy Johnstone, Diego Maradona, Roberto Rivellino, Luis Figo, Pierre Littbarski and Jairzinho were all similarly useless, right?

Re Messi, he just had his best ever international tournament at the age of 34. I’m sure he’ll keep going at a high level for a few years yet. Don’t let this prospect scare you too much ;)
Apart from anything, football at the highest level is entertainment and elite dribblers provide that. Furthermore it's a demonstration of skill. How memorable would many of the best ever be if not for their dribbling? Even players who did not score many goals like Iniesta and Zidane.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
@Cal? You have been using the same arguments since this thread started 6 years ago. You aren't going to change anyone's mind now considering you haven't managed to in 6 years.

It's admirable that you are still going strong, but I think you need to just let it go mate :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Apart from anything, football at the highest level is entertainment and elite dribblers provide that. Furthermore it's a demonstration of skill. How memorable would many of the best ever be if not for their dribbling? Even players who did not score many goals like Iniesta and Zidane.
Aside from being entertaining and aesthetically pleasing, it serves many practical purposes (pulling defenders out of position, disrupting formations, making space for teammates etc etc). Saying it doesn’t matter is just silly, with all due respect to Mr Cal.

Gehrman

Aside from being entertaining and aesthetically pleasing, it serves many practical purposes (pulling defenders out of position, disrupting formations, making space for teammates etc etc). Saying it doesn’t matter is just silly, with all due respect to Mr Cal.
Especially since Messi is the best in the business at creating chances, scoring goals and providing assists with his dribbling.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I think it’s more to do with the general consensus. Traditionally speaking these motm awards or even player of the month awards, no one really cares. While people do always glorify trophy winner, goalscorer, and the yearly individual awards and such. Its nothing to do with Messi vs Ronaldo, just the way it has always been in football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Think I never asked but out of curiosity, have you ever played football yourself or are you 'just' a fan?

Cal?

CR7 fan

When did I say anything about nothing players or useless players? :confused:

Do try not to invent thing I didn't say.

I can't believe you're trying to debate that most players are nearing retirement at mid-30s, do you really want to compare the number of players who have retired by 36 and those who haven't?

Best ever international tournament? :lol:

How about the fact that he joined by far the best team in a farmer league and has yet to score in said league?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Two separate things, but you inadvertently prove what I’m saying. His performances in that tournament were world class (e.g. v Chelsea when he terrorised the best defence in the world), hence his medal is warranted.

Then what happened? He got injured. Had he been fit consistently in those early seasons he would have got a lot more BDO votes because his performances were already elite.
Shocking that players occasionally get injured, every player gets injuries some times, so?

The fact is Ronaldo got more votes each of those years.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Football at the highest level is about results, how memorable would many of the best ever be if not for the trophies they won?

Cal?

CR7 fan
@Cal? You have been using the same arguments since this thread started 6 years ago. You aren't going to change anyone's mind now considering you haven't managed to in 6 years.

It's admirable that you are still going strong, but I think you need to just let it go mate :lol:
Even this rigged vote is getting closer and closer, so some minds have been changed. :D

Anyway, it's just a way of passing time with the idiotic government blocking international travel.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Especially since Messi is the best in the business at creating chances, scoring goals and providing assists with his dribbling.
I've already explained that point, dribbling that leads to something is not pointless, dribbling itself as a stats is utterly pointless if it doesn't lead anywhere.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Shocking that players occasionally get injured, every player gets injuries some times, so?

The fact is Ronaldo got more votes each of those years.
No, Messi had real problems with fitness in his early years.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Football at the highest level is about results, how memorable would many of the best ever be if not for the trophies they won?
Teams win trophies. Great players (and indeed great dribblers) are remembered whether they win or not.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Even this rigged vote is getting closer and closer, so some minds have been changed. :D

Anyway, it's just a way of passing time with the idiotic government blocking international travel.
It's close in a United forum (where Cristiano is a legend) btw.

Imagine the same poll in a from from a team that isn't Real Madrid or United.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
When did I say anything about nothing players or useless players? :confused:

Do try not to invent thing I didn't say.
You said dribbling means ‘feck all’ unless it results in a goal. That is an asinine statement, with all due etc.

I can't believe you're trying to debate that most players are nearing retirement at mid-30s, do you really want to compare the number of players who have retired by 36 and those who haven't?
Why would I do that? We’re talking about Messi and Ronaldo.

Best ever international tournament? :lol:
Yeah you know. The one where Argentina were champions and he was the best player with the most goals and most assists. Has never happened in the history of international football. Surely you can’t have forgotten already?

How about the fact that he joined by far the best team in a farmer league and has yet to score in said league?
Cal: “YEAH, HOW ABOUT IT?!?!”

The facts:

https://freeimage.host/i/5A5WQt

Status
Not open for further replies.